Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Safir

Euro 2016

322 posts in this topic

I actually rated Renato Sanches above them players - If you seen how many posted saying I hope Ed Wodward watching etc

IMO Portugal won't win nothing as I see no upcoming CB, yes there been old great defenders in the past but surely Portugal can have Pepe who be 35 and Fonte 34, plus people are forgetting u missed Coentrao

Portugal may have won under 17 tournament, who says they will turn out top players, look at Bojan - 16/17 he had a bright future but nothing happened

Portugal hasn't had the best of Players since Figo(2004) etc, they had some decent but seriously they did and still do have some garbage players IMO

Euro 2008 - Garbage of Simao, Bosingwa, Hugo Almeida, Meireles, Quaresma, Nani

WC 2010 - Garbage of Danny, Liedson, Simao,Hugo Almeida , Meireles, Eduardo

Euro 2012 - Garbage of Hélder Postiga, Silvestre Varela, Nani, Hugo Almeida, Meireles, Miguel Veloso

WC 2014 - Garbage of Hélder Postiga, Nani, Meireles

Euro 2016 - Garbage of Nani, Quaresma, Moutinho, Bruno Alves

Throughout All them Tournaments there has been no Stars except Ronaldo

This is all my opinions

Ashtini, the players you mention - (Maldini, Chiellini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Puyol, Thuram, Alves) they all have something Fonte, Alves, Carvalho haven't got, they all in their 30's still played in top level clubs whereas them 3 Portugal players don't

Future could be bright for most of the players you name but the worry for Portugal fans has to be the Centre back area and I don't see any CB upcoming

Let me stop you right there, Simão was a great player, and anyone who saw him play, especially on his prime wouldn't say he was Garbage, WT...!

Bosingwa, Moutinho, Meireles, Danny, Nani and even Quaresma to some extent were great on their day and did good for most the clubs they have played, especially the guys who played for Porto. If they are Garbage like you say, i don't know but your garbage bin must be really good. I'm not saying they are World Class, but certainly not garbage. People don't seem to remember, but i do, Nani was quality for Manchester United, even though only for a few seasons. Meireles for Chelsea and Liverpool too. The rest i agree, didn't have any business on the NT.

We have Paulo Oliveira, Ruben Semedo, Hugo Basto, Vezo, Ilori, Tobias Figueiredo, Tomas Podstawski (i think he'll play there eventually, no place in midfield), the young Ruben Dias and few more. Someone will step up when the time comes.

ashtini and Sir Rahul like this

Let me stop you right there, Simão was a great player, and anyone who saw him play, especially on his prime wouldn't say he was Garbage, WT...!

Bosingwa, Moutinho, Meireles, Danny, Nani and even Quaresma to some extent were great on their day and did good for most the clubs they have played, especially the guys who played for Porto. If they are Garbage like you say, i don't know but your garbage bin must be really good. I'm not saying they are World Class, but certainly not garbage. People don't seem to remember, but i do, Nani was quality for Manchester United, even though only for a few seasons. Meireles for Chelsea and Liverpool too. The rest i agree, didn't have any business on the NT.

We have Paulo Oliveira, Ruben Semedo, Hugo Basto, Vezo, Ilori, Tobias Figueiredo, Tomas Podstawski (i think he'll play there eventually, no place in midfield), the young Ruben Dias and few more. Someone will step up when the time comes.

Bit in bold sums this all up that I'm talking rubbish - sarcasm

Nani was never quality for United, he thought he was the Next Ronaldo when Ronaldo left, he thought he had everything but he was useless and any United fan would think that

Lisbon Lot thought Quaresma would be the next big thing, more than Ronaldo - Look at how many clubs he been at, he flopped

Moutinho nowadays isn't much, I think you even said why is he playing over Renato Sanches

Meireles wasn't that great in England, all mostly he did was get the ball and shoot

Don't get me started on Danny

Paulo Oliveira, Ruben Semedo, Hugo Basto, Vezo, Ilori, Tobias Figueiredo, Tomas Podstawski, Ruben Dias - you name all them, but how many of them are training at top level club or even pushing for a spot in the 1st team, other NT have young CB pushing through

Nani was never quality for United, he thought he was the Next Ronaldo when Ronaldo left, he thought he had everything but he was useless and any United fan would think that

Lisbon Lot thought Quaresma would be the next big thing, more than Ronaldo - Look at how many clubs he been at, he flopped

Moutinho nowadays isn't much, I think you even said why is he playing over Renato Sanches

Meireles wasn't that great in England, all mostly he did was get the ball and shoot

Paulo Oliveira, Ruben Semedo, Hugo Basto, Vezo, Ilori, Tobias Figueiredo, Tomas Podstawski, Ruben Dias - you name all them, but how many of them are training at top level club or even pushing for a spot in the 1st team, other NT have young CB pushing through

Either you like him or not, Nani had quality seasons for United, 19 assists and a handful of goals in just one season in PL demonstrate some quality and doesn't look good for someone who says he was useless, especially because i saw some of his games, and he did look good for some time.

Tecnically Quaresma was/is superior to Ronaldo, and at that time, he seemed to be destined for big things, but he didn't had the head for it. But nobody can't deny he was class for Porto, unless of course you never saw him play.

Of course i said Moutinho shouldn't be playing ahead of Sanches, because, he shouldn't. But he was a very good player, for about a decade, for Sporting and then Porto.

Meireles was a decent midfielder.

Danny has done great for himself in Russia, not saying he's class, but competent player.

I don't care that no one of those young players isn't the hype of the moment, José Fonte never had 40M € transfers and he's good, and should've been in the NT along time ago. Adrien, Cedric, not flavors of the month but are good players, we don't need all to be stars or wannabe stars (Veloso anyone), we had that in the past and it didn't look that good. Or perhaps the next one isn't even on the list.

Not every damn player on the NT need to be million dollar players, even in the Geração de Ouro, they weren't, and there was very questionable players on the NT on that time, Abel Xavier or Secretário anyone? How that guy played for Real Madrid is still unquestionably one of the biggest mysteries in Football History.

Anyway, it's useless to argue more about this, i said my peace.

Paulo Oliveira, Ruben Semedo, Hugo Basto, Vezo, Ilori, Tobias Figueiredo, Tomas Podstawski, Ruben Dias - you name all them, but how many of them are training at top level club or even pushing for a spot in the 1st team, other NT have young CB pushing through

What's wrong with Danny? You ever seen him play?

ashtini likes this

Tecnically Quaresma was/is superior to Ronaldo, and at that time, he seemed to be destined for big things, but he didn't had the head for it. But nobody can't deny he was class for Porto, unless of course you never saw him play.

Words Quaresma, Ronaldo, and superior in that order shouldn't be expressed

My mental game is stronger than Quaresma's, therefore I could have had a better career than Quaresma. 

That's not how it works at all. 

Anyone with half a brain can see the hunger and will in the player and evaluate it. If you don't have it, you won't become it. The world is full of players with theoretical physical or on the ball attributes who never become anything 

Words Quaresma, Ronaldo, and superior in that order shouldn't be expressed

My mental game is stronger than Quaresma's, therefore I could have had a better career than Quaresma. 

That's not how it works at all. 

Anyone with half a brain can see the hunger and will in the player and evaluate it. If you don't have it, you won't become it. The world is full of players with theoretical physical or on the ball attributes who never become anything 

You are right, it doesn't matter if he has superior technique on the ball, because he has, but if he has touted better than Ronaldo at the time in Sporting it was because he showed at the time he could be, well, things didn't pan out that way, but anyone who saw him play at that time would say that.

You are right, it doesn't matter if he has superior technique on the ball, because he has, but if he has touted better than Ronaldo at the time in Sporting it was because he showed at the time he could be, well, things didn't pan out that way, but anyone who saw him play at that time would say that.

Wrong people were looking at him brother

The way his career failed to match his hype definitely meant anyone with an ability to evaluate his mental game would've known his limitations 

Wrong people were looking at him brother

The way his career failed to match his hype definitely meant anyone with an ability to evaluate his mental game would've known his limitations 

Yup, that's why Barcelona bought him! I really hate when people talk like that, i don't doubt that you already saw him play, but how you talk about his skills in the past makes me doubt that you really saw him play back then.

The way i'm writing perhaps looks that i think that all those player are/were the best, i don't, and all the player i spoke of here, i'm well aware of all their careers, but with the kind of lightness that some people call professionals garbage or similar makes me wonder what do they do for a living.

ashtini likes this

Yup, that's why Barcelona bought him! I really hate when people talk like that, i don't doubt that you already saw him play, but how you talk about his skills in the past makes me doubt that you really saw him play back then.

The way i'm writing perhaps looks that i think that all those player are/were the best, i don't, and all the player i spoke of here, i'm well aware of all their careers, but with the kind of lightness that some people call professionals garbage or similar makes me wonder what do they do for a living.

What are you talking about homie 

You're referring to none of the things I've referred to 

1. Barcelona buying = a measure of anything. LOL. Clubs buy players poorly scouted all the time based on one idiot's opinion.

2. An opinion is irrelevant, I forgot we were talking how things really are and not rehashing tabloid stories

3. Really? About his mental game? Skills equals mental game? What's your reading comprehension?

4. What the hell is your looks. Is that equal to the mental game I refer to? No? Then what are you on about 

5. Most professionals are useless and borderline incompetent. Garbage is a word you used, not me. It's called a living for a reason, they do it but are like w/e about it, it's about the pay check for them, they have none of the passion for excellence a lot of the players do. 

Sports are for idiots anyways so whatever I'm done with soccer too. Drugs for druggies. 

1. Barcelona buying = a measure of anything. LOL. Clubs buy players poorly scouted all the time based on one idiot's opinion.

2. An opinion is irrelevant, I forgot we were talking how things really are and not rehashing tabloid stories

3. Really? About his mental game? Skills equals mental game? What's your reading comprehension?

4. What the hell is your looks. Is that equal to the mental game I refer to? No? Then what are you on about 

5. Most professionals are useless and borderline incompetent. Garbage is a word you used, not me. It's called a living for a reason, they do it but are like w/e about it, it's about the pay check for them, they have none of the passion for excellence a lot of the players do. 

Sports are for idiots anyways so whatever I'm done with soccer too. Drugs for druggies. 

Like you maybe, you seem pretty useless. If most professionals seem useless and incompetent around you, i'm not sure were you live, but i'm sad for you.

And i wasn't the first to use the word Garbage, neither did you, someone else before did.

ARROGANT MOD 

Anyone surprised why this place is dead? Terrible mods sucked the life out of this place 

Nazi mods keep order on an insanely popular high traffic environment but there's nothing going on here to keep order on. In slow places nazi mods kill the little life that is there

Thx bye 

Remember this is Talentsearcher you are talking to mate. He obviously thinks no defender is successful over the age of 30 (Maldini, Chiellini, Nesta, Cannavaro, Terry, Ferdinand, Vidic, Puyol, Thuram, Alves etc etc yadayadayada). & also clearly knows nothing outside of Utd (some would argue nothing about Utd too).

I think the future is very interesting for Portugal.

Andre Gomes, Jaio Mario, Bernardo Silva, William Carvalho, Cedric, Guerriero, Renato Sanches, Goncalo Guedes, Danilo, Paulo Oliviera, Rafa Silva, Ruben Neves. Those players mixed with the experience of the older ones should be seen as the perfect international recipe.

Thanks Jamie!  :)

And Petros, I do think Fernando Santos is competent, but not amazing.

He's too defensive for my liking, but hey... I ain't complaining.  :P

Okay, here's my opinion about Portugal's quality over the years.

After 2008, quality has decreased significantly imo.

This recent hiatus in quality is a direct correlated with Portugal completely crapping on its youth system during almost all the past decade.

Clubs had cash, so they opted to waste it on overpriced South American crap.

Since the reintroduction of B sides, Portuguese youngsters have been managing to accumulate experience in the 2nd division, which is competitive enough for them.

The current generation is transitional, like I said before, and I do reckon Ronaldo carried us for a good number of years.

We obvioulsy had other good players, but he was the breadwinner, if you will.

I never thought we'd win this Euro, but I believed we could - it's still tremendously difficult and unlikely tho - win 1 of Euro 2020 or 2024.

This next generation can be even better than Figo's imo.

Ash mentioned some players.

I could add the likes of Luís Rafa, Cancelo, João Nunes, André Silva, Diogo Jota, Iuri Medeiros, Vezo, José Sá, Ricardo Pereira or Gelson Martins.

Thing is, I also see a lot of potential in the likes of Germany, Spain, France, England, Belgium, Holland, Croatia and even Serbia.

So it's very very tough for Portugal to win a Euro, even if this promising new generation delivers.

In the end, I don't care - I never thought I'd see Portugal win a big comp, so anything else that comes is a bonus.

I'd rather have Portugal play poorly, like in this Euro, and win, than playing awesome - like in 2000, 2004 or in the 2006 WC - and winning squat.

The same goes for Braga.

Watching good football is always pleasant, but in the end what you want is trophies.

EDIT: I'm not taking anything away from Santos, he literally performed a miracle.

In fact, I'd include him on the Ballon d'Or coach list, alongside Ranieri and Pizzi, who won the Copa América with Chile.

But I'd give it to Ranieri, coz driving a huge underdog to success, in 38 matches, is a lot harder than doing it in 6 or 7 matches.

Still all 3 have done absolute wonders with the material they had at their disposal, especially when compared to the competition.

"In the end, I don't care - I never thought I'd see Portugal win a big comp, so anything else that comes is a bonus."

this exactly how i feel on the matter, i never thought we'd win anything without having a good striker, we've always had good teams just missing a good striker to complement Ronaldo, its quite worrying how long its been since we've had a proper striker it just baffles me how we can produce so many great players but can't get any good strikers. i won't be getting my hopes up with any more wins until we produce a quality striker to lead this team

I agree with pedro on most things he said about Portugal but the players listed, can they be top players? Time will tell but I'm doubtful. Ronaldo has carried Portugal for years and in the Euros

Cvilhete, he is right, Portugal does need a good striker along side Ronaldo but don't you think Portugal need upcoming CB's as well?

Idk how I predicted Portugal/France final

I never thought we'd win this Euro, but I believed we could - it's still tremendously difficult and unlikely tho - win 1 of Euro 2020 or 2024.

This next generation can be even better than Figo's imo.

Ash mentioned some players.

I could add the likes of Luís Rafa, Cancelo, João Nunes, André Silva, Diogo Jota, Iuri Medeiros, Vezo, José Sá, Ricardo Pereira or Gelson Martins.

Thing is, I also see a lot of potential in the likes of Germany, Spain, France, England, Belgium, Holland, Croatia and even Serbia.

So it's very very tough for Portugal to win a Euro, even if this promising new generation delivers.

Yes, they all have lots of potential, yet so do we. Germany U-19 was just "sent home" yesterday by Portugal, who is 1st on the group by the way, and we just have to wait for Austria to put the nail on their coffin. France is behind England and Netherlands on their group.

Germany, France, Spain, England have a lot more good players to choose from, that is obviously true, but in the end it just takes 23 players, 11 at a time. It is difficult for every team to win not just Portugal. Just because some NT's have been cruising for decades doesn't mean that currents don't change.

ARROGANT MOD 

Anyone surprised why this place is dead? Terrible mods sucked the life out of this place 

Nazi mods keep order on an insanely popular high traffic environment but there's nothing going on here to keep order on. In slow places nazi mods kill the little life that is there

Thx bye 

Hahahaha

For someone that likes to portray themselves as a superior intellect you don't half come across as a cry baby b***h.

I'm no Portuguese football expert but even I know of Quaresma and him being labeled as the next worlds greatest player.

All you had to do was say

"Sorry, quite new in relative terms to football. Got some points wrong but trying to add some relative point's to a discussion"

Much better than trowing your toys out the pram.

I'm no portugese football expert but even I now the story of Quaresma and him being labeled as the next worlds greatest player.

Can't understand why only the sporting players are getting a rise after the euros, especially Joao Mario who only decided he'd play good in the final, players like Pepe and guerreiro should be rising they were clearly stand out performers.

Sir Rahul likes this

You guys make some good points.

I agree Portugal's next generation is promising.

But the competition will be tough and (this is especially relevant btw), unlike NTs such as Germany or France, Portugal won't have the 12th player when needed.

You saw what happened in Euro 2016: we had a clear pen robbed from us vs Croatia, Poland and Wales.

Fortunately things turned out well in the end, but small, poor countries, with few inhabitants, like Portugal or Uruguay, have to rely on themselves only in these big NT comps.

That's why, despite player quality, I'll always see NTs like Germany or France as favourites, over the likes of Portugal.

Winning a WC is off limits for countries that aren't rich or don't have a big population.

It's been that way since football has become a widely profitable industry, dominated by one of the most corrupt institutions on Earth: FIFA.

UEFA is still considerably less corrupt than FIFA - that's why countries like Greece or Portugal have managed to win a Euro each recently.

I have a very healthy approach to sport and football in particular: I know how things work, I don't get overly upset with failure and I get thrilled with success.

Otherwise you'll just stop enjoying football altogether and, at least for me, the only point of football is personal enjoyment / entertainment.

If you lose (and both my Braga and Portugal have already had tremendously frustrating moments in their respective histories), then just move on with your life!

Moping about the past won't change anything, so might as well try to make the best of things.

Hahahaha

For someone that likes to portray themselves as a superior intellect you don't half come across as a cry baby b***h.

I'm no Portuguese football expert but even I know of Quaresma and him being labeled as the next worlds greatest player.

All you had to do was say

"Sorry, quite new in relative terms to football. Got some points wrong but trying to add some relative point's to a discussion"

Much better than trowing your toys out the pram.

I'm no portugese football expert but even I now the story of Quaresma and him being labeled as the next worlds greatest player.

???

Superior intellect? The hell is that

The hell is going on with one idiot after another extrapolating left right and center yo

You want me to apologize how bout I apologize for this - Sorry that I don't speak your screwed up language of extrapolation and zero reading comprehension

Mods feel free to lock my account I'm done here with these extrapolating maniacs 

I know there are people who are itching to do it anyways so go for it 

Nani was never quality for United, he thought he was the Next Ronaldo when Ronaldo left, he thought he had everything but he was useless and any United fan would think that.

Yep, four league titles, five charity shields, two league cups and a champions league.

Also, double figure assists in four of his six seasons under Ferguson. Injury prevented him from performing in 08-09 and 12-13.

He was United's main man in 10-11, and should have arguably won the PL POTS over Vidic that season.

Clueless, but then again I wouldn't really expect much more from you.

People here saying Nani was rubbish since 2008 and no United fan like him. Those fans are infants. They no nothing.

Quaresma was good and tipped to be the best in SC Lisbon, injured in Barcelona and great in Porto. But Jose Moutinho never used him at Inter. Not that he wasn't a quality. A bit of current Gotze like situation. But again he was great at Besiktas and another Porto spell and again at Besiktas now. So in his case I think its Jose's fault to degrade him.

Portugal always had (since 2004 when I started watching football) a good competitive squad of quarter final level in all Euros and world cups. And they finished better than England in all of them. :P

ashtini likes this