Wave_Dweller

3-5-2 Help

7 posts in this topic

Why can't I play wingers in a 3-5-2 formation? I find this quite ridiculous. I should have the choice.
Bale and Hazard are my wingers, and when I toggle between 4-4-2 diamond and 3-5-2, they go from green lights to yellow lights, despite not actually moving on the pitch! So in other words they're in the same position, but obviously I don't want to play them in a 3-5-2 as I don't want any players with yellow lights.

Any thoughts?

They changed it a while ago so that in a 3-5-2 the two wide positions have to be DM(R/L) or M(R/L) and not attacking wingers (like Bale & Hazard).  It was because having 7 attacking players was considered unrealistic as it means playing without any left or right back cover.  Something like that anyway.

RoyalAguila likes this

Thanks for the reply pal :)

I still think it's bad, I should be able to play wingers with 3 at the back. I have Alba and Azpilicueta who can play wide in a 3-5-2, but it makes no sense to drop 2 x 85s to play 2 x 82s. I've built up a nice squad, but now I'm restricted to only playing a back 4. 

Does anyone else play 3-5-2? And who's in your line up?

19 hours ago, Nico66 said:

They changed it a while ago so that in a 3-5-2 the two wide positions have to be DM(R/L) or M(R/L) and not attacking wingers (like Bale & Hazard).  It was because having 7 attacking players was considered unrealistic as it means playing without any left or right back cover.  Something like that anyway.

Just common sense, quite correct. No wingers in Wing/ BACK positions ---- Suicide, they will just watch players run down the wing & not mark them at all ie Hazard!

RoyalAguila likes this

16 hours ago, Wave_Dweller said:

Thanks for the reply pal :)

I still think it's bad, I should be able to play wingers with 3 at the back. I have Alba and Azpilicueta who can play wide in a 3-5-2, but it makes no sense to drop 2 x 85s to play 2 x 82s. I've built up a nice squad, but now I'm restricted to only playing a back 4. 

Does anyone else play 3-5-2? And who's in your line up?

Wendell, Mendy, Fabinho, Cancelo etc etc

On 18/4/2017 at 3:36 PM, Nico66 said:

This. It was a great move by SM. IRL you don't see usually see attacking wingers as 352 wide players - but rather DM(R/L) and/or M(R/L) that do both defensive and support/attacking phase. And during defensive phase, 352 actually becomes temporarly a 532.

In SM 352 was often exploited to put as many attacking top players as possible, which are easier to find compared to good defensive players. I even saw 352 teams in which all the midfielders, even the DM, were attacking midfielders and still performing greatly.

Now, if an attacking player displays that he can play in a midfield position and do also a good defensive job, then in that case he should receive that midfield position in addition to the attacking ones he has and thus being able to play as wide winger of 352 - otherwise he shouldn't be able to play and perform great in such position.

Cheers to SM for fixing that exploit.

Soccahappy likes this

@RoyalAguila it did take quite a while before Moses could be used in a position in game that reflected IRL. For country Carrasco has been doing the same for the last year yet no change. Ivanovic often supports the attacking phase, especially for country, he has been used as a wingback IIRC (Serbia playing 3 ATB). As I don't use a 3-5-2, don't even play with (attacking) fullbacks or wingbacks, I haven't really been looking but I did notice quite a few players that should be able to play in those positions yet they can't. Can't tell for sure but I have the feeling that in game quite a few players can't play in a position which they can IRL.

In Cruijff's 3-4-3 attacking fullbacks or wingbacks were used in the back 3, not further up the pitch, one of these "CBs" was allowed to bomb forward, forcing the opposition's striker to track back. These days you do see lots of elements returning, e.g. Barca's 3-4-3 diamond, and Pep has often used fullbacks as CBs at MCFC with Sterling and Sane in the wide positions. Unlike IRL (where 3-4-3 and the like are gaining popularity) you cannot use wide players in game. Try it. Sterling, Sane, Carrasco, and so on, and so on won't light up green when you use them out wide in a 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1 or 3-2-2-2-1.

In game 4-4-2 diamond allows you to use 5 attacking players, including 2 attacking wide players (which you can also use in a 4-4-2A, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-2-2, 4-5-1, etc.). IRL you can also use attacking wide players in 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1 or 3-2-2-2-1. As you're still limited to 5 attacking players, using these formations in game, it isn't even an exploit/increase on what's currently possible. Instead of position changes for attacking wide players I'd be consistent with IRL and all those other formations, i.e. give them the light green in 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1 or 3-2-2-2-1.