22 hours ago, thorgan lesar said:

How do you think we need to play against Brazil @1000dB ?

I'd like Belgium to press aggressively, particularly in transition. It could prove to be the best way to beat Brazil. A shame Nainggolan was left out. He could have made his impact felt in this game (at the very least as a supersub). Such a great ballwinner and when played higher up the pitch, like in recent seasons, he either snuffs out danger/allows us to transition into our defensive shape, e.g. before the opposition has a chance to launch a counter, or he wins the ball closer to the opponent's goal which usually allows you to create better chances than when you win it in your defensive third. BTW Radja is not only the best tackler and ballwinner in Italy but he also created the most chances in Serie A and the CL for Roma since 2015/16. Brazil can also limit any team to shots from distance. I'm tired of watching Witsel miss the target over and over again. Guess who can hit the target and has scored lots of screamers (a hint: it's Radja).

Expecting Tite to play cautiously again and focus on stability. Brazil have faced only 5 shots on target in all their Russia2018 games combined, yet could face more in our QF game alone. Maybe Martinez will take a more defensive approach, well for his standards, e.g. a defensive 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1, but I'm guessing no low passive block (we didn't even do that in 2002 with a far less talented bunch). We'll probably change our shape during the game anyway, especially if Brazil try to shackle KDB. Still we struggle when we're pinned back for long stretches of the game. Tite could play less defensively than usual but I doubt he'll risk it at this stage. Besides he knows Belgium is one of, if not the most deadly team on the counter in the international game.

Also, despite the constant criticism it isn't only Belgium's wingbacks that leave space in behind, the space Brazil's fullbacks leave on the flanks can be exploited as well. Down the right our play is very dynamic, with Hazard coming over to create overloads, and if Marcelo plays we'll be given plenty of space and opportunity. Definitely an area, on both sides of the pitch, to keep an eye on.

In case Belgium score first this game has the potential to turn into a real clash but it will probably be a cagey affair. Not unusual the deeper you get into the tournament. Luckily, there's no Prendergast in sight but instead a top quality ref has been assigned. Looking at you, rolling around on the grass, Neymar. Belgium have been screwed over enough in the past, about time that sort of nonsense stops, or better yet it balances out and we benefit in this game.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:40 PM, 1000dB said:

I'd like Belgium to press aggressively, particularly in transition. It could prove to be the best way to beat Brazil. A shame Nainggolan was left out. He could have made his impact felt in this game (at the very least as a supersub). Such a great ballwinner and when played higher up the pitch, like in recent seasons, he either snuffs out danger/allows us to transition into our defensive shape, e.g. before the opposition has a chance to launch a counter, or he wins the ball closer to the opponent's goal which usually allows you to create better chances than when you win it in your defensive third. BTW Radja is not only the best tackler and ballwinner in Italy but he also created the most chances in Serie A and the CL for Roma since 2015/16. Brazil can also limit any team to shots from distance. I'm tired of watching Witsel miss the target over and over again. Guess who can hit the target and has scored lots of screamers (a hint: it's Radja).

Expecting Tite to play cautiously again and focus on stability. Brazil have faced only 5 shots on target in all their Russia2018 games combined, yet could face more in our QF game alone. Maybe Martinez will take a more defensive approach, well for his standards, e.g. a defensive 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1, but I'm guessing no low passive block (we didn't even do that in 2002 with a far less talented bunch). We'll probably change our shape during the game anyway, especially if Brazil try to shackle KDB. Still we struggle when we're pinned back for long stretches of the game. Tite could play less defensively than usual but I doubt he'll risk it at this stage. Besides he knows Belgium is one of, if not the most deadly team on the counter in the international game.

Also, despite the constant criticism it isn't only Belgium's wingbacks that leave space in behind, the space Brazil's fullbacks leave on the flanks can be exploited as well. Down the right our play is very dynamic, with Hazard coming over to create overloads, and if Marcelo plays we'll be given plenty of space and opportunity. Definitely an area, on both sides of the pitch, to keep an eye on.

In case Belgium score first this game has the potential to turn into a real clash but it will probably be a cagey affair. Not unusual the deeper you get into the tournament. Luckily, there's no Prendergast in sight but instead a top quality ref has been assigned. Looking at you, rolling around on the grass, Neymar. Belgium have been screwed over enough in the past, about time that sort of nonsense stops, or better yet it balances out and we benefit in this game.

Who's now talking about Naingollan ?

Brazil OUT, we DID IT. YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!! 

Tomorrow my points for The players :)

On 7/7/2018 at 12:29 AM, thorgan lesar said:

Who's now talking about Naingollan ?...

I did, I'm talking about Radja again now and will do it some more whenever if I please. We definitely could have used him in the semis against France. Remember the last time we faced France (ahead of EURO2016)? Radja completely dominated them, he was everywhere, the French media and supporters were in awe at the sheer volume, at what a player he is.

Lately I've hardly seen Belgium press high, sure against minnows, but that's it. Against any decent team our pressing is inconsistent to almost non-existent (anywhere on the pitch, except for a bit of spiderpressing). You sometimes see our players getting annoyed at how poor our pressing has become. In case of a high press, no team can sustain it for 90' yet any team can put in the effort during stretches in the game. We didn't try despite winning the ball high up the pitch, with the French leaving their trenches to counter, would have been our best shot at breaking down their defences.

Deschamps would have been happy with a bloodless 0-0. Martinez could have given him this "pleasure". Still what's the point of playing over 120 minutes of ultra-defensive football, could as well skip more than two hours of avoiding any risk, and immediately gamble on the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

I would have liked Martinez to try and beat France with a 3-4-3 diamond (not to change our formation too much and make it easier on our players). Martinez is Catalan after all and if he remembered when Barca played like this he could have reused/updated some of those ideas which proved to be very effective against solid defences and to prevent counters (it took years for opponents to catch on). Martinez has recycled old ideas before and in general tactics from football's past do resurface (in new adaptations). Deschamps would definitely play cautiously, focus on stability and with Mbappé they're very deadly on the counter.

3-4-3 diamond (with condolences to the late Johan Cruijff)

iD7BmyV.png

- Fellaini was perfect for the Bakero role (operating near the top of the midfield circle but with Fellaini's attributes he could even move higher). Fellaini is very much a team player, physically strong, our best in aerial duels, can chest down a ball like nobody else, hold it up, wage war in midfield, ... His main task would have been to function as a target: receiving passes from our defence/distributors, knocking balls on towards the front three, laying balls off for the players facing the goal, holding it up for others to find space, etc. He can join the attack if we have possession or press if e.g. we didn't win the second ball. Fellaini was in great form and because he's such a great weapon in international football should have been used more.

- Alderweireld doesn't have to be the main distributor sitting in front of the back three, looking for passes to mainly Fellaini or others, if they've found more space, but the benefit is that he can tuck in to make a back 4 in our defensive shape. Alderweireld and Vertonghen had acres of space in the semis and alternatively you could have let them distribute the ball (replacing Vermaelen with Witsel to shield the backline). Tielemans's vision and passing range are very rare in such a young player. Especially in the coming years he could be a great option as a distributor. KDB could also direct play from deep but I'd play him higher.

- KDB and Nainggolan would be facing the opponent's goal and can immediately combine with our front three. In case our distributors find Fellaini, or another target, you're advancing with one-touch football, our players can create space for each other, drag defenders out to destroy the defensive shape, etc. It would have made it a lot harder on the French defence. They would have to make difficult decisions non-stop and sooner or later they'd make a mistake. If you didn't keep the ball, 6 second rule.

- could go on but this post is more than long enough.