Sign in to follow this  
swanseajack

EC35130 - Port Vale Division 5 Challenge

1928.png

I've picked this game back up again and thought I'd give updates on the forum of an old school, Division 5 style challenge.

From when I last played the game, this sort of challenge has been made a lot more difficult, as the value of lower rated players has increased. I've decided to give it I'll give it a go anyway, and hopefully inspire more people to share their stories to reignite some activity in to the forum. 

I've started with Port Vale, where I have a starting budget of £5.4 million and a squad value of £6 million. By bringing in risers and young players, I'm going to see how much I can increase the squad value by, and how far up the football league I can get with Port Vale. 

Season 1 - Game Week 0

We're going to try and resist the temptation of bringing in loan signings in our first season. Having taken over the team with the biggest budget in Division 5, I'm confident enough of us having enough for promotion without taking on the additional wages of three marquee loans. I'll be using those funds to just bring in as many risers possible, as we look to get the highest squad value we can get by the end of the season.

I've started by bringing in players who should rise very early on in to the season. The players coming in at the very beginning are from Chile, Colombia, Norway, Japan, Korea and the US which are all nations that are well overdue a review. I'm likely to bring in another one or two from those nations if I can, as immediate risers would allow us to dominate this season from the start.

There's still plenty of funds for us to bring in plenty of players from Holland and Portugal, who are likely to be reviewed in March. I'm going to hold off bringing them in for the time being though, as the higher rated players I've inherited are in a better position to get us off to a strong start to the season.

Transfers In

pv1.jpg.7416b1878bed3cefe5f08ca32cf60769.jpg

Current Line Up

Linde (78)

Zuluaga (74) - Koike (76) - Kay (77) - Pugh (76)

Worrall (76) - Wilson (77) - Lee (75) - Montano (75)

Pope (75) - Mosquera (75)

Season 1 - Game Week 0

Transfers In

image.png.4d7e5b8dd8e30c88d7d7b962a550957d.png 

There's been some progress in pre-season for Port Vale, as we continue to bring in players from South America that should be reviewed soon. Argentina's review is underway, so we're expecting Matias Vargas and Alan Franco to be the two earliest risers of our squad and to be very influential in the first few league games of the season. Chile is massively overdue a review, so we're hopeful that will follow Argentina, now that we've invested quite heavily in Chileans. 

The obvious exception to the signings of players we're expecting to immediately rise, is the signing of Guus Til. I was trying to hold off on signing players from Holland and Portugal for the time being, but with Guus Til I just couldn't risk not getting him. He's exceptional value for money, and for a player within our budget I struggle to see any players of his potential. He's one of the brightest U21 prospects in Holland, having been a key man for AZ for this season, starting every game and getting six goals from midfield in the half game this season. He'll be initially quite an important player for us, but when he gets reviewed I'm expecting him to be the star man of the division. He's the one player I've brought in that I'm certain I want to be keeping past the expiration of his transfer ban, as he's currently comfortably performing at an 85/86 rating. He just needs to keep performing like he currently is to achieve that, but if he can keep on improving then who knows what we might have for a club our size? 

Current Line Up

Linde (78)

Koike (76) - Kay (77) - Pizzorno (76) - Pugh (76)

Til (76) - Lee (75)

Worrall (76) - Carvalho (75) - Mosquera (75)

Pope (75) 

Season 1 - Turn 5

Results

Port Vale 2-0 Chester (Worrall, Carvallo)

Yeovil Town 0-5 Port Vale (Worrall x3, Lee x2)

Aldershot Town 0-1 Port Vale (Worrall)

Port Vale 0-0 Accrington Stanley

We've started the season well, unbeaten and top of the league with ten points. Our strategy of keeping hold of some of the older Port Vale players whilst waiting for our new players to rise has been rewarded, with David Worrall in particular making a huge impact. The start of the season has vindicated our decision to pass up on higher rated loan signing to minimise our wage budget. With us starting the season like this before the impact of rating changes, anything other than winning the league this season has to be categorised as a failure. 

Rating Changes

Name Position Age Rating Exp. New Rating New Rating Initial Market Value (£) New Market Value (£) Profit after Wages (£)
Matias Vargas AM 20 75 80 83 340,000 2,400,000 1,927,000
Pablo Aranguiz AM 20 73 80 80 300,000 1,200,000 843,000

We've had to wait a lot longer than anticipated for rating changes to start making an impact, with Argentina taking a lot longer than anticipated to be reviewed. We're still waiting on Argentina to be completed, and for Alan Franco to be reviewed but have had two nice rating increases. 

Matias Vargas rating increase was a real boost to us, he increased pretty significantly more than we anticipated and will now be our best player for the next month or so. The increase in his market value is immense, and will give us plenty of options to reinvest in come April.

Pablo Aranguiz was also a nice boost, given that he got his expected rating increase earlier than anticipated and with him and Vargas we now have plenty of quality in midfield. 

Transfers In

Name Position Nation Based In Age Rating Market Value (£) Expect New Rating
Pontus Dahlberg GK Sweden/England 19 77 800,000 82

We've made just the one more signing, as we took the opportunity to pick up Pontus Dahlberg following his move to Watford. It's the biggest investment on a player we've taken so far, and on a player that isn't going to even make an immediate first team impact. We've picked him up though due to his transfer to Watford, which firstly meant he was a free agent so we've managed to sign him for a cut price £650,000 and also means he's likely to be given a rating review in the next couple of weeks whether Sweden's review is completed or not. 

Current Line up

Linde (78)

Koike (76) - Kay (77) - Pizzorno (76) - Pugh (76)

Til (76) - Lee (75)

Worrall (76) - Vargas (83) - Aranguiz (80)

Pope (75) 

Nice to see these kind of threads again

The riser approach is so frustrating these days, as there is a new valuation algorithm. The returns on a rise are great if the players is under 21, 22 and and over, the financial reward can be pittance.

Season 1 - Turn 6

Results

Barnet 0-1 Port Vale (OG)

League Table (after 5 games)

Team Points GD
1 Port Vale 13 9
2 Forest Green 10 9
3 Morecambe 9 6

Rating Changes

Name Position Rating Predicted Rating New Rating Initial Market Value (£) New Market Value (£) Profit after Wages (£)
Alan Franco CB 73 80 82 400,000 1,800,000 1,343,000

We've finally had our second Argentinian reviewed, as Alan Franco gets a nice rating increase beyond what we initially expected. Franco has got a promising future, and is somebody I'd back to finish the season strongly and be looking at another rating increase but it's overwhelmingly likely that he'll be sold on for profit as soon as possible regardless. I think with the money we can generate from his sale, we'll be able to bring in a few talents from the big leagues that are to be reviewed at the end of the season. In the meantime, his rating increase has given our defence a strong boost and allows us to get rid of Anthony Kay, leaving Danny Pugh and Tom Pope as the only two original Port Vale players remaining at the club. 

As slow as it's taken Argentina to be reviewed, it's given us two nice rating increases that puts our starting line up in strong shape. Hopefully the last few teams from the league can now be swiftly reviewed in the next couple of days, and we can add some more depth to our side when we see which league is next to be reviewed.

Profit by Nation

Nation Players Reviewed Rating Points Increased Total Profit after Wages (£)
Argentina 2 17 3,270,000
Chile 1 7 843,000
Total 3 24 4,113,000

Current Line Up

Linde (78)

Koike (76) - Franco (82) - Pizzorno (76) - Pugh (76)

Til (76) - Lee (75)

Worrall (76) - Vargas (83) - Aranguiz (80)

Pope (75)

Season 1 - Turn 8

Results

(English Cup) Oxford United 2-1 Port Vale (Koike)

Port Vale 3-0 Leyton Orient (Pizzorno, Franco, Vargas)

Torquay United 0--4 Port Vale (Galluci Otero, Carvallo, Vargas, Pope)

League Table (after 7 games)

Team Points GD
1 Port Vale 19 16
2 Stevenage 14 6
3 Morecambe 13 5

Rating Changes

Name Position Rating Predicted Rating New Rating Initial Market Value (£) New Market Value (£)   Profit after Wages (£)
Pablo Aranguiz AM 80 80 82 1,200,000 2,000,000   1,643,000
Bryan Carvallo AM 75 80 80 340,000 1,000,000   527,000
Santi Gallucci Otero DM 75 80 78 260,000 380,000   -13,000
Angelo Pizzorno CB 76 80 78 300,000 380,000   -53,000

We've had our first disappointments in regards to rating changes, as Gallucci Otero and Pizzorno failed to hit their expected ratings. Given their age, and the way that the new value system works, we'll lose money on them after we've paid for our wages, so it's definitely something to learn from when signing players in the future of a similar age.

It has been made up for by Pablo Aranguiz getting his second rating increase in the space of a week. His new rating makes a huge difference to his value and somewhat makes up for us not making money on two of our Chilean signings. 

Profit by Nation

Nation Players Reviewed Rating Points Increased Total Profit after Wages (£)
Argentina 2 17 3,270,000
Chile 4 19 2,040,000
Total 6 36 5,310,000

We're in a decent position so far in terms of profit, already breaking the £5 million mark overall and despite a couple of disappointments in Chile I'm content with a cool £2 million profit overall. 

Transfers In

Name Position Nation Based In Age Rating Market Value (£) Exp. New Rating
Eduard Atuesta CM Colombia 20 76 360,000 80
Marlon Torres CB Colombia 21 76 360,000 80

We've brought in another couple of players from Colombia, in anticipation of them being reviewed next. We now have four players to be reviewed, with us already picking up Harold Mosquera and Juan Zuluagu at the start of the season. 

Current Line Up

Linde (78)

Koike (76) - Pizzorno (78) - Franco (82) - Pugh (76)

Galluci Otero (78) - Til (76)

Aranguiz (82) - Vargas (83) - Carvallo (80)

Pope (75)

Our starting line up is starting to look very strong for our division, particularly in attacking midfield. With Colombia up next we should be rated 78 and above in all position bar left back by the end of next week.