Sign in to follow this  
Sky Blue Lee

Arguing - A Handy Guide {Please Read}

I'm just going to cut to the chase.

People need to start learning to take things on the chin. Even if it bruises.

Most forum discussions are based around difference of opinion. People are able to take other's opinions into account, and work towards a conclusion. An argument, however, tends to see someone disregard another's opinion, leading to fall-outs, bloodshed, hissy-fits, and a lot of cleaning up for the mods. Nothing good is gained.

We seem to be falling into the void of negativity. It seems that most days on the forum, no-one can air their opinion without having an insult directed at their mother. It's silly. So my question to you is this: When someone decides to have a say, are you actually going to think about what is going to be gained from shooting them down?

Rather than making a derogatory, or spiteful comment, try to see the antagonist's point of view. If you can't, then simply ask them about why they feel that way. If you disagree, simply acknowledge their opinion, and say something constructive and meaningful as a counter-argument, to help get your point across in just one post. If you have nothing decent to say, don't say anything. I can't stress the importance of thinking about everything before you jump straight in.

Furthermore, what good is to be gained from insults? They're neither big nor clever, nor do they help put your point across, nor do they help resolve the argument. If someone does decide to insult you, then for the love of God, don't react to it. Instead, just ignore it and try to work to a conclusion to the argument.

That said, if it's seeming impossible to reach a verdict, then just back off. Don't throw more eggs into the basket, just admit that it's silly to carry on, and just get on with life. After all, there's a big wide world outside the four corners of your PC monitor.

And finally, think how you'd feel if two or more people started kicking off on your thread. I'd be pretty cheesed.

Thanks for your time. :)

Re: Arguing - A Handy Guide

A TOP post Lee.

Would like to add also if I may..............if something is aggravating you, DO NOT start doing stupid things like making new accounts with silly usernames and causing the Mods on here more work that they need to be doing...................................................................LIKE I DID:o

Apologies to all the Mods on here and to the Devs for my stupid rantings.

(Takes an idiot to overreact but a MAN to apologise):o

Widdy (Much calmer thanks to Teb)

I hold my hands up and say im one of the worst at arguing but I feel some forumers always have a got at me when blatantly they are in the wrong.

however, I feel i am positively contributing to the forum in both a fun and constructive manner therefore I feel i can take criticism more positively

cheers for the chance to clear things up

If ANYONE Disrespects ANYONE In The Misc Section With Personal Abuse I Feel Is Intended To "Hurt" Another Forumer They Will Forever Be Trying To Avoid Me :P

It Won't Be Tolerated

Also If I Have To Spend Time Continuing To Delete & Edit Posts At The Rate I Have Been In This Section Over The Last Week Or So I Will Ask For The Individuals Involved To Take Some Re-Training On How To Use The Forum, AKA A Little Holiday.

Most of My Work Comes At 3 AM After a Get Home From Work, So I Mightend Be In The Best of Humor,

SO Keep It On Topic

Regards Shels

Closing Thread It's Turned Into Something Similar What Lee Was Trying To Stop,

Personal Issues Betwen Two+ Forumers

Needless 1 & 1 Banting On Thread That Brings off Topic The Issue..

I'l Possibly Modify & Re Posisition This Thread So That The Only Comment We Need Is Left For ALL To View.

If You Have Issues With Mods Etc, Make a New Thread, Theres Loads of Room For New Therads, That Goes For Any Issues That Would Bring A Topic off Topic..

PM's Can Be Used Aswell,

Needless To Say, Il Not Delete Posts Just Yet To Highlight What Lee Was Getting At, & I Quite Enjoyed That Little Disscusion ,Myself If I May Say :P