Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Louis

UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

12,066 posts in this topic

I have made this thread to discuss all fixtures and results.

This is also the place to discuss who played well in a particular game and who you think is going to play well.

Discuss anything to do with the UEFA Champions League here

Here are tonight's fixtures for Tuesday 16th September 2008:

Barcelona - Sporting - For me it has to be a Barcelona win.

Basel - Shakhtar - This will be a good game, but i believe Shakhtar will come out on top.

Chelsea - Bordeaux - We can only see one winner in this game, and that has to be Chelsea, but don't underestimate Borduaux

Marseille - Liverpool - Marseille beat Liverpool in the group stages of last years Champions League, but with Torres and Gerrard back, along with Keane, Kuyt and new signing Riera, i can only see Liverpool winning this game.

Panathinaikos - Internazionale - This game will be Mourinho's first European game in-charge at Internazionale, with new signing Ricardo Quaresma, and all the other of Inter's great players, i believe Inter have this game in the bag.

PSV - Atlético - This should be a very good fixture, PSV will fight well, but i believe Atletico will win this game with Aguero.

Roma - CFR - Don't really know alot about CFR, so the only side i can see winning is Roma.

Bremen - Anorthosis - Like CFR, haven't heard of Anorthosis, and i can only see Bremen winning this game.

Ghora likes this

Re: UEFA Champions League Discussion thread

This is also the place to discuss who played well in a particular game and who you think is going to play well.

Basel - Shakhtar - This will be a good game' date=' but i believe Shakhtar will come out on top.

[b']Chelsea - Bordeaux[/b] - We can only see one winner in this game, and that has to be Chelsea, but don't underestimate Borduaux

Marseille - Liverpool - Marseille beat Liverpool in the group stages of last years Champions League, but with Torres and Gerrard back, along with Keane, Kuyt and new signing Riera, i can only see Liverpool winning this game.

Panathinaikos - Internazionale - This game will be Mourinho's first European game in-charge at Internazionale, with new signing Ricardo Quaresma, and all the other of Inter's great players, i believe Inter have this game in the bag.

PSV - Atlético - This should be a very good fixture, PSV will fight well, but i believe Atletico will win this game with Aguero.

Roma - CFR - Don't really know alot about CFR, so the only side i can see winning is Roma.

Bremen - Anorthosis - Like CFR, haven't heard of Anorthosis, and i can only see Bremen winning this game.

I'd also like to add Liverpool did beat Marseille in the other leg 4-0 ;)

Not sure how Liverpool will play tonight. Hopefully we'll get the better over them now they are without Nasri and Cisse.

Basel - Shakhtar - This will be a good game' date=' but i believe Shakhtar will come out on top.

[b']Chelsea - Bordeaux[/b] - We can only see one winner in this game, and that has to be Chelsea, but don't underestimate Borduaux

Ah well, i can't wait for the CL to kick off

;)

Some really good matches tonight. For me the most interesting one will be PSV vs Athletico. Its going to be a really good game(or so i hope). :)

Here is my take on the games tonight:-

Barcelona Vs Sporting

IMO it wil be a much closer game than many will have expected. On paper Barca have one of the strongest squads in the world but are not playing well at the moment. For what i hear Hleb is injured for this game. It will be a midfield battle and quite a boaring game. Barca are generally strong at home so i think they might just nick this game 1-0. But i really would not be surprised if the game ended in a draw.

My Prediction: Barca 1-0 Spoting

Basel Vs Shakhtar

This will be an interesting one. Many people are expecting Shakhtar to win this (me being one). And i do think that they should be able to do so. Bassel will give it all they've got by i think that Shakhtar will outplay them.

My Prediction: Basel 1-2 Shaktar

Chelsea Vs Bordeaux

Last years runners-up in the french league Bordeaux will have a hard time at the Bridge. For some reason i think Chelsea will hammer then. Chelsea did pretty well against man city and if they play the same way against Bordeaux they should get the win pretty easily.

My prediction: Chelsea 3-0 Bordeaux

Marseille - Liverpool

Liverpool should come out winners in this game, but Marseille will make life a bit hard for them. The morale of the L'ppol players will be high after the win against manu. Greeard and Torres will also be back. So imo liverpool should win this game.

My prediction: Marseille 1-2 Liverpool

Panathinaikos - Internazionale

Inter may not have startd the season of brilliantly but i still think they will thrash Panathinaikos. Inter have loads of quality player and imo have a really good chance of winning this years CL. So i'm preciting a landslide victory for inter.

My prediction: Panathinaikos 0-3 Internazionale

PSV - Atlético

As i said before this would be the pick of toinghts games. Will be really interesting to see what happens. Both teams are capable of scoring goals and i think it will be a hight scoring match. Both teams will go for the others jugular and it should be a fast flowing, action packed game (atleast lets hope it is ;)). PSV might just run out winners in this one.

My prediction: PSV 3-2 Atlético

(a bit crazy but yeah...:P)

Roma - CFR

Well you don't really have to think much about this one, now do you. Roma shold run out easy winners. Thier start to the Italian Siera A has not been great but imo they should still run out easy winners.

My prediction: Roma 3-0 CFR

Bremen - Anorthosis

Again nothing much to say here. Werder should crush Anorthosis.

My prediction: Bremen 3-0 Anorthosis

:)

My Predictions for today and tomorrow.

Celtic 1 - Samaras

Aalborg 2 - Caca, Saganowski

Juventus 2 - Trezeguet, Chiellini

Zenit 3 - Pogrebniak, Danny (2)

Real Madrid 4 - Robben, van der Vaart (2), van Nistelrooy

BATE 1 - Skavysh

Lyon 2 - Makoun, Benzema

Fiorentina 1 - Mutu

Dynamo 0

Arsenal 3 - Walcott (2), Adebayor

Chelsea 1 - J Cole

Bordeaux 1 - Gouffran

PSV 1 - Affelay

Atletico 0

Panatinaikos 1 - Simao

Inter 2 - Ibrahimovic, Balotelli

Marseille 5 - Kone (2), Ben Arfa, Niang, Ziani

Liverpool 2 - Torres (2)

Barcelona 0

Sporting 0

Roma 1 - Riise

CFR 0

Bremen 1 - Pizarro

Anorthosis 2 - Sosis, Savio

FC Basel 2 - Perovic, Mustafi

Shaktar 2 - Srna, Willian

Porto 1 - Lucho Gonzalez

Fenerbahce 1 - Lugano

I nearly died over that Gerrard goal.

It was so beautiful.

1-1 at the moment.

Looks like a good game, Marseille are good on the attack with Kone, Ben Arfa and Niang.

But i still think Liverpool will come out 2-1 winners.

Torres for the next goal!

Penalty to Liverpool:

Penalty scored by Gerrard. Bottom right corner of the net.

2-1 to Liverpool.

Roma are currently losing 2-1 to Romanian new boys CFR CLUJ-NAPOCA.

Will be a shocking victory if they win.

I will update this post if there are any scores in the game.

Edit: The final whistle has gone. Shocking start for Roma, things dont look good!

Looks like there will be a few unexpected results tonight.

I dont see anything unexpected :confused:

Only one's are Roma losing and Werder drawing.

Roma are currently losing 2-1 to Romanian new boys CFR CLUJ-NAPOCA.

Will be a shocking victory if they win.

I will update this post if there are any scores in the game.

Edit: The final whistle has gone. Shocking start for Roma' date=' things dont look good![/quote']

I can imagine Made In Romania on cloud nine somewhere. What a result! :eek: . Surely result of the night and assuming Chelsea run away with the group as expected, it throws te second place in the group wide open. Congrats MIR wherever you are :)

Doru likes this

Congrats to Cluj - awesome win!

But I had a treble, Liverpool Chelsea Roma, and they have just cost me £180!! :(

Maybe a refund is due from their win bonus :D

Delighted as Liverpool beat Marseille :D - Never an easy opponent (Ignore the 4-0 win) ;p

It was a shaky last few minutes for 'Pool came away with the first three points. Gerrard once again proves why he is one of the best midfielders in the world.

Also saw the Chelsea match.... Malouda goal was brilliant! Great passing goal.

England start well in the Champions league. Let's see if United and Arsenal can continue ;)

The match i was looking foward ot the most last night (PSV Vs Atlético) turned out to be the most one sided game of the night !! :o Atlético pretty much harmmered PSV. But tbh the PSV defending was worse than poo. In all the goals the defence was so pathetic that i felt like puking :P.

Also another thing was that athough Zlatan did not score yesterday he played really well imo. Yes he did mess up the early one on one chance but after that he played brilliantly. The way he set up the mancini goal was amazing. He also took some pretty good shots and force some really good sames for the keeper.

Liverpool Vs Marseille was a good game as well. L'pool went behiind due to a brilliant goal form Cana. The pass to Cana by Cheyrou was brillian tna the finish as good.

Thats all for now. Can't wait for manu Vs Villarreal :):P

The match i was looking foward ot the most last night (PSV Vs Atlético) turned out to be the most one sided game of the night !! :o Atlético pretty much harmmered PSV. But tbh the PSV defending was worse than poo. In all the goals the defence was so pathetic that i felt like puking :P.

Also another thing was that athough Zlatan did not score yesterday he played really well imo. Yes he did mess up the early one on one chance but after that he played brilliantly. The way he set up the mancini goal was amazing. He also took some pretty good shots and force some really good sames for the keeper.

Liverpool Vs Marseille was a good game as well. L'pool went behiind due to a brilliant goal form Cana. The pass to Cana by Cheyrou was brillian tna the finish as good.

Thats all for now. Can't wait for manu Vs Villarreal :):P

Yeah i am also looking forward to the game.

I believe Ronaldo is actually going to play?

Will you be watching this game on the Internet, or SS?

Well here are the Champions League scores, 15 minutes in:

FC Porto 2-1 Fenerbahce (Lopez, Gonzalez: Guiza)

Lyon 0-1 Fiorentina (Gilardino)

St Bucharest 0-1 B.Munich (Van Buyten)

Thread will be updated every 15 minutes.

Still nil all the OT but the game is really liveing up. Ronaldo has finally come on !!! :D Franco almost scored a stunning goal. Really unlunky that it came out of the post.

BTW Kiev 1-0 Arsenal !!!! :P

Lyon 0-2 Fiorentina (Gliardino brace) ;)

Real 2-0 BATE (Ramos and RVN)

Porto 3-1 Fener ;)

Danm Tevez almost scored. Cleared off the line !!! :eek:

Manu 0-0 Villarreal :(

Manu should have got two pentalies......both were 100% penalties and both were right in front of the linesman. :mad:

Aye, you can tell when it's a stonewall United penalty when even Andy Gray agrees. :P

Should have won, but 0-0 will do seeing as Celtic couldn't beat Aalborg.

Mint free kick by Del boy against Zenit. :D

Saved by Gallas' date=' but in all fairness attacking an 11 man defence isn't always easy and it wasn't a penalty :)[/quote']

Certainly looked like a penalty on the ESPN highlights just now. :rolleyes:

True about teams parking the bus though. Seemed to be Villarreal's gameplan for most of the match too.

Certainly looked like a penalty on the ESPN highlights just now. :rolleyes:

True about teams parking the bus though. Seemed to be Villarreal's gameplan for most of the match too.

Yeah Villarreal did the same thing, depressing really..

Well the penalty was pretty unclear but from one certain angle sky sports it showed that the Dynamo player was tugging on Sagna's shirt and caused him to fall onto him..

Will look for it on youtube later..

Yeah Villarreal did the same thing' date=' depressing really..

Well the penalty was pretty unclear but from one certain angle sky sports it showed that the Dynamo player was tugging on Sagna's shirt and caused him to fall onto him..

Will look for it on youtube later..[/quote']

ESPN only showed one angle, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. :D

Saved by Gallas' date=' but in all fairness attacking an 11 man defence isn't always easy and it wasn't a penalty :)[/quote']

Classic Arsenal fan excuse, "it wasn't a penalty" when it clearly was. :rolleyes:

And the fact he took the penalty so smooth made it even worste for you. ;):rolleyes:

Classic Arsenal fan excuse' date=' "it wasn't a penalty" when it clearly was. :rolleyes:

And the fact he took the penalty so smooth made it even worste for you. ;):rolleyes:[/quote']

Chill out Birmingham fan, your not in the Champs League yet ;)

Well your opinion if you thought it was a penalty but all the pundits have said it wasn't so..:rolleyes: suck leg

Chill out Birmingham fan' date=' your not in the Champs League yet ;)

Well your opinion if you thought it was a penalty but all the pundits have said it wasn't so..:rolleyes: suck leg[/quote']

This has nothing to do with Birmingham not being in the Champions League.

I fine it pretty sad the only insult you can think of is "Chill out Birmingham fan, your not in the Champs League yet ;)"

You sure you said all pundits said it wasnt a penalty:confused:

Because im sure the person who was watching the Arsenal game on SSN said it was a penalty. :rolleyes: