DerbyPower

PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

6,908 posts in this topic

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you can post your questions here, along with praise, insults (be careful if you stick in this route though :P), and basically just general discussion about Portuguese football. So basically, if you have a tiny doubt over the Portuguese league and it's players, post here and I'll reply ASAP. Cheers guys!

Link to the main thread:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=44596

DO NOT POST THERE, OR YOU SHALL FEEL FEAR MY WRATH.

mr liucci, koplfc, Ghora and 6 others like this

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Disscusion Thread

Gratz on thread mate, I can see you have put a lot of effort into this thread. Rep.

You listed, on your Transfers bit on your other thread, Prediguer as having been signed by Porto. I didn't think this was confirmed though?

You listed' date=' on your Transfers bit on your other thread, Prediguer as having been signed by Porto. I didn't think this was confirmed though?[/quote']

He is already in Isla Canela with the squad and gave his first flash interview. Totally confirmed. Costed 3M euros.

OK, just he is not listed on Porto's website as being one of their players (that I could see) and I couldn't see they had announced it on the website either? Google didn't help much either :o Do you have a source?

OK' date=' just he is not listed on Porto's website as being one of their players (that I could see) and I couldn't see they had announced it on the website either? Google didn't help much either :o Do you have a source?[/quote']

Sure, I have a source. Take a peak at this FC Porto´s official website link: http://www.fcporto.pt/Noticias/Futebol/noticiafutebol_futpedriguerdec_260709_45072.asp

You can read his interview there. And he has the training equipment on.

Sorry for writin this on wrong page but neva mind. here is the orginal post:

Brilliant thread mate, repped. Just wondering, who do you think has most potential out of the three folowing Portugese CB's. Daniel Carrico, Maicon and Goncalo Brandao (at Siena)

Please help. By the way i canni delete that post soz :o

Brilliant thread mate' date=' repped. Just wondering, who do you think has most potential out of the three folowing Portugese CB's. Daniel Carrico, Maicon and Goncalo Brandao (at Siena)[/i']

Ye i'd be interested to know your opinions on those CB's too. Read the Porto review great stuff!

Also what do you think of Papa Diawara Baba's prospects this season? Got him in a few teams.

Brilliant thread mate' date=' repped. Just wondering, who do you think has most potential out of the three folowing Portugese CB's. Daniel Carrico, Maicon and Goncalo Brandao (at Siena)[/i']

Well, as you can imagine Goncalo Brandão plays in Italy, so what I know of him is based on the National Team performances. And there he wasn´t anything special, I mean, he performed decently, but nothing outstanding. As for Maicon and Daniel Carrico I rate them equally, and curiously they have the same ratings in SM. Both had fantastic domestic seasons, with Daniel Carrico assuming himself as a starter in the middle of the season in just his first year with the team, while Maicon was huge in Nacional da Madeira and their 4th place can be thanked to him, Nene and Ruben Micael mostly. So my verdict would be cash in with Goncalo Brandao and keep both Carrico and Maicon.

To delete your post simple press the edit button and then press delete. ;)

Ye i'd be interested to know your opinions on those CB's too. Read the Porto review great stuff!

Also what do you think of Papa Diawara Baba's prospects this season? Got him in a few teams.

Thanks :). Well, you can see the opinions on the CB on the answer above. As for Baba, he was really good in the first half of the season, but then he stopped scoring goals for so much time that he eventually was sidelined from the first team. For a team like Maritimo, no player will get above 86/87 unless they did an amazing season, which I doubt, because they don´t have the power of Braga, Nacional or Guimaraes. I rate all these teams in fron of Maritimo. So my advice is to sell him as players like Baba (great hype and then completely disappears) should only be negotiated on a buy-and-sell basis.

Can't wait for the season to start to see how all the changes @ Porto pan out... For being fairly quiet the first few months of the summer, Porto has sure made up for it over the last few weeks... Other than Inter (Eto'o PLUS £40M...insanity), CSKA (Zhirkov and likely a few other big names), and United (Ronaldo cash) I can't think of another organization that has profited as much as Porto has so far... and that includes the net effect due to their signings.

I saw today that that they just loaned out Stepanov to Malaga. IMO, nice move.

Anyway... A few questions...

(1) What do you think the starting XI and formation for Porto looks like this year ? If Hulk doesn't wear a skirt (like he did for much of the second half of the season and CL) and he toughens up and quits diving, we could be in for fireworks at Estádio do Dragão

(2) I read your ratings predictions... good work. Never too early. That said, I think it's going to be tough for anyone to get to 93 while still playing in Portugal unless the rest of the league (ex-Porto) start to perform better in Europe. Lucho WAS the rating's ceiling in Portugal with a 93. Now that he and Lisandro are in France that leaves only ONE 92-rated player left in the entire league....Bruno Alves. Something to keep in mind but IMO it's going to be tough for anyone to get past that 92-ceiling considering how far the Portuguese Liga has fallen in terms of UEFA rank in Europe (as of May '09)... In fact, I think it's going to be tough for anyone to get a new rating higher than 90 (with Bruno Alves, Meireles, & Liedson being the only three players rated 91 or above).

Rank for......... Rank for

Coming Yr
Last Year
League

........................ 1.............
England

........................ 2............
Spain

........................ 3............
Italy

........................ 5............
Germany

........................ 4............
France

........................ 6............
Russia

....................... 12............
Ukraine

........................ 9............
Netherlands

........................ 7............
Romania

Portugal

..................... 11............
Turkey

..................... 14............
Greece

..................... 10............
Scotland

..................... 13............
Belgium

..................... 16............
Switzerland

Without knowing as much as you do about Portugal, my sense is that Sporting & Benfica have to start to hold their own before you see ratings trend up for the big players in the league (Bruno Alves, Meireles, etc). Although who knows, maybe Porto can carry the league on it's back and SM will look at Porto differently despite the overall league being down. Curious why you think some the of the players will go up @ Porto given the backdrop that they face in-terms of the overall league...

As always... thx...

Looking forward to this thread...

Hi derby, can you tell me what is going on with Celsinho and Pele they was best potentials from Portugal 2 years ago and now?

Also what do you think about Rui Fonte?:)

Can't wait for the season to start to see how all the changes @ Porto pan out... For being fairly quiet the first few months of the summer' date=' Porto has sure made up for it over the last few weeks... Other than Inter (Eto'o PLUS £40M...insanity), CSKA (Zhirkov and likely a few other big names), and United (Ronaldo cash) I can't think of another organization that has profited as much as Porto has so far... and that includes the net effect due to their signings.

I saw today that that they just loaned out Stepanov to Malaga. IMO, nice move.

Anyway... A few questions...

[b'](1) [/b] What do you think the starting XI and formation for Porto looks like this year ? If Hulk doesn't wear a skirt (like he did for much of the second half of the season and CL) and he toughens up and quits diving, we could be in for fireworks at Estádio do Dragão

(2) I read your ratings predictions... good work. Never too early. That said, I think it's going to be tough for anyone to get to 93 while still playing in Portugal unless the rest of the league (ex-Porto) start to perform better in Europe. Lucho WAS the rating's ceiling in Portugal with a 93. Now that he and Lisandro are in France that leaves only ONE 92-rated player left in the entire league....Bruno Alves. Something to keep in mind but IMO it's going to be tough for anyone to get past that 92-ceiling considering how far the Portuguese Liga has fallen in terms of UEFA rank in Europe (as of May '09)... In fact, I think it's going to be tough for anyone to get a new rating higher than 90 (with Bruno Alves, Meireles, & Liedson being the only three players rated 91 or above).

Rank for......... Rank for

Coming Yr
Last Year
League

........................ 1.............
England

........................ 2............
Spain

........................ 3............
Italy

........................ 5............
Germany

........................ 4............
France

........................ 6............
Russia

....................... 12............
Ukraine

........................ 9............
Netherlands

........................ 7............
Romania

Portugal

..................... 11............
Turkey

..................... 14............
Greece

..................... 10............
Scotland

..................... 13............
Belgium

..................... 16............
Switzerland

Without knowing as much as you do about Portugal, my sense is that Sporting & Benfica have to start to hold their own before you see ratings trend up for the big players in the league (Bruno Alves, Meireles, etc). Although who knows, maybe Porto can carry the league on it's back and SM will look at Porto differently despite the overall league being down. Curious why you think some the of the players will go up @ Porto given the backdrop that they face in-terms of the overall league...

As always... thx...

Looking forward to this thread...

The European teams know that if they want to buy quality players, Porto is the right place, because unlike other top teams, we are available to sell our best players for the right price. And most of our buyers can afford to pay two digits values every season. I just hope we can pay our debts soon enough. I can´t even imagine our team each year if we could maintain our best players.

Yes it was a good move. IMO he had no space in the squad, so he would better move to a decent clube, which didn´t fought for relegation. And Malaga is that club.

(1). I´d say Helton, Fucile, Bruno Alves, Rolando, Alvaro, Fernando, Raul Meireles, Belluschi, Hulk, Rodriguez, Falcao.

Have you seen Hulk´s game against Lyon for the Peace Cup? Pure class. This year he will be phenomenal.

(2). I am expecting a good European season for Portugal this season so that we can at least overtake Romania. I am hoping that Raul Meireles hits the 92 and Bruno Alves the 93, kind of substitutes os Lisandro and Lucho. And you are right. Porto is a special case. We systematically do good European campaigns and we are practically the only club which honours the name of Portugal. As such we must be reviewed differently. Still, there is a lot of league and European game time before the ratings. We shall see.

Cheers mate.

Hi derby' date=' can you tell me what is going on with Celsinho and Pele they was best potentials from Portugal 2 years ago and now?

Also what do you think about Rui Fonte?:)[/quote']

Celsinho? He has great technique, but he hasn´t the physique to play in Europe. I believe he will be loaned out again. Or even sold. Get rid of him.

Pele is on loan to Valladolid. He has no mental strength to play in Porto for now. Keep him though, he may rise provided he plays well in Spain.

I rate Rui Fonte really high. He will be loaned out, so he mat end up rising to ~80 if he plays regularlt, which I believe he will. Keep him.

Cheers.

Bornich likes this

Nice and insightful thread.

One question : what do you make of Eliseu's future at Lazio (or elsewhere) ? do you expect him to play regularily in the NT at some point?

thanks

Celsinho? He has great technique' date=' but he hasn´t the physique to play in Europe. I believe he will be loaned out again. Or even sold. Get rid of him.

Pele is on loan to Valladolid. He has no mental strength to play in Porto for now. Keep him though, he may rise provided he plays well in Spain.

I rate Rui Fonte really high. He will be loaned out, so he mat end up rising to ~80 if he plays regularlt, which I believe he will. Keep him.

Cheers.[/quote']

Thanks Mate!:)

Nice and insightful thread.

One question : what do you make of Eliseu's future at Lazio (or elsewhere) ? do you expect him to play regularily in the NT at some point?

thanks

I doubt him. Personally I don´t rate him that higher. He just had a good season at Malaga and I think he will flop in Lazio. And before he breaks into the NT, Varela will do so and with Ronaldo, Nani, Quaresma, Varela, even Danny (currently injured) in-form, I doubt he´ll get any chances.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerbyPower

FC Porto

Helton - Current Rating: 90; Initial Rating Prediction: 90 --> 90

Helton is a very reliable goalkeeper and one of the best in his position here in Portugal. He has his flaws, namely when playing with his feet which usually scares me when he doesn´t shoot the ball right away plus he occasionally suffers a "mental diarrhea" and suffers goals like that in the Champions League against At. Madrid. Anyway, he makes up for it with his throwing that sets up a lot of vicious counter-attacks. This season Helton will have to stay on his feet because unlike the previous season he will have tough competition for his spot: Beto. So, for his rating I´d say he will be a stable 90. I defended a long ago that he should be a 91, but if SM never raised him until now (he is going for his 5th consecutive season for Porto, and 3rd consecutive with a 90 rating if I´m not mistaken), not even when he gained his first caps for Brazil, I believe he won´t rise any more. Also, another scenario may kick in that I want to warn up handedly: although I think his rating won´t change, a string of bad performances can see Beto overtake his first team position and then I wouldn´t discard a 89, even though it would be too harsh. I will update this section regularly and should this be the case, I will inform right away.

Beto - Current Rating: 87; Initial Rating Prediction: 87 --> 88

Like I said above, the fight for the goalkeeper spot will be very interesting. Beto and Eduardo were considered last season the best goalkeepers of the Portuguese League. Personally I think Beto is more complete than Eduardo because he has no weaknesses (maybe a bit too short for goalkeeper, but other than that...) while Eduardo pretty much screws some games with his inability of correctly rushing out (for example Braga´s game against PSG). Furthermore Beto has reflexes second to none in Portugal, and better than Helton may I add. His signing really pleased me and in the pre-season matches he has played in he has lived up to the expectations with very good performances. I predicted an 88 for now because I´m not sure whether he will be able to overcome Helton. If he does, then I can see him reach the 89. His recent cap for the Portuguese Nation Team will help his rating, specially if he grabs a spot, which I can see happening. Now, you may be asking how am I predicting a rise and a stay for two goalkeepers with high rating. After all, if one plays the other won´t and one´s rating gain will see the other decrease. Well, in this initial rating prediction I will always aim for the best scenario. The updates will progressively correct the rating prediction until the eventual definite one.

Nuno - Current Rating: 83; Initial Rating Prediction: 83 --> 83/82

With Lucho´s transfer and Pedro Emanuel´s retirement, Nuno was handed vice-captaincy, after the captain Bruno Alves, who in turn hasn´t his permanence in Porto assured due to the vast role of clubs interested, so Nuno may even become the team´s captain. Beto´s arrival will relegate him to third option, so I see him having a couple of cup games only. His importance on the team now is merely off the pitch. Stay off him on SM.

Bruno Alves - Current Rating: 92; Initial Rating Prediction: 92 --> 93

Bruno Alves is massive. This may be a biased comment, but I rate him as one of the top 5 centre-backs in the world. He has everything: implosion power, strength, top notch aerial ability, excellent tackling, aggression... He even scores goals from long range free-kicks. Hadn´t it been that mistake in Old Trafford and he would have get the 93. Sadly, Bruno Alves has been attracting the interest of several clubs, Barcelona and Chelsea among them, so his permanence in Porto is in jeopardy. If he stays and repeats the performances of the previous season, he must inevitably get the 93. He is also a starter in the Portuguese National Team after displacing Ricardo Carvalho and even scored a goal that allowed Portugal to continue the race for a World Cup spot, because otherwise Portugal would have been mathematically knocked out of the access spots. Overall: phenomenal centre-back that will be sourly missed if he leaves.

Rolando - Current Rating: 89; Initial Rating Prediction: 89 --> 90

Pleasant surprise in the previous season as no one expected Rolando to adapt to Porto and grab a first team place so easily. He learned much from Bruno Alves and the two of them form a formidable duduo out in the back. He may not have Bruno Alves´s insane jumping power or his aggression, but he is quicker and equally reliable on the marking issue. He has scored some goals this season with the highlight being his Champions League debut goal against Kiev with a typical play repeated several times throughout the season: corner kick proceeded by a strong and unstoppable header. He also won his first two caps for the NT and re-edited Porto´s centre-back duo with Bruno Alves, but he is still behind Pepe, Bruno Alves and Carvalho for a spot, so for now he is a bench option. In Porto, Rolando has his spot fixed and if Bruno Alves leaves he will have to pair with Maicon, Nuno Andre or Stepanov and will become the new voice of command in the defence.

Maicon - Current Rating: 85; Initial Rating Prediction: 85 --> 87/88

Maicon was to Nacional da Madeira like Bruno Alves was to Porto: the leader in the defence and the reliable centre back with who a team can always count. It was no random luck that SM awarded him a thick +5 rise. His signing really pleased me as I saw in him a natural successor in Porto´s successful tree of centre backs. If Bruno Alves stays, Maicon will have somewhat limited game time as I can´t see him overtake Rolando for his spot (obviously I am never taking into account possible injuries. Like I said, I will always aim for the best case scenario in this initial rating prediction). So far in the pre-season matches he has really been impressing. He is just like a Pepe clone. I have great hopes on him, not so much in this season, because I´m counting with Bruno Alves, but in the next one I expect him to assume himself as a starter in the defence. So I´d say a +2 should be in order as I can see him playing the same amount of time that Tomas Costa did and thus getting a rise to the same rating. Should Bruno Alves leave, then Maicon will be the most probable pair of Rolando and he will be the starter for most of the season because he right now is a couple of points above Nuno Andre and Stepanov judging from the pre-season. Then his rise should hit a +3.

Nuno Andre - Current Rating: 84; Initial Rating Prediction: 84 --> 85/86

Nuno Andre had an excellent season in Estrela da Amadora, despite all the team´s difficulties (ended up relegated to the third division due to financial debts and the team may even be extinguished). He and Varela were the most valuable players and curiously they both came to Porto. Nuno Andre was just on loan, and as such it was, in my opinion, the most cost-effective option that Porto could snatch as a bench option for the starting centre backs. He is a Porto youth product which pleases me, to see that some youth players are still being given a chance in the first team. In the pre-season matches he is revealing a new characteristic: versatility. He has been used as a centre back, a right back and as a defensive midfielder, performing well in all position, although I prefer him in the centre of the defence. This could prove a reliable alternative in case Fernando or Fucile get injured and the second options are either tired or suspended. Nuno Andre season, like the other centre backs in Porto, are still difficult to predict because of Bruno Alves´s condition. Anyway he will be given some chances to prove his merit and I see a small +1 or +2 rise coming his way. Even if Bruno Alves leaves, Maicon will probably be the starter, but in that case he will have more opportunities, but they most likely won´t be enough for a rise superior than +2.

Stepanov - Current Rating: 86; Initial Rating Prediction: 86 --> 85

I like Stepanov, he is a good centre back, but apparently Jesualdo doesn´t like him very much. Porto has five centre backs now, which is way too much, and one must leave as I believe Porto won´t keep five centre backs in the squad. Stepanov is the fifth option right now, so if anyone will leave, that one is Stepanov. If Bruno Alves leaves instead, than Stepanov will stay in Porto. He has lost his place in the National Team as well, which explains his constant decreases in rating. All in all, I predict a difficult season for "Stepa" and another decrease may be on the cards.

EDIT: Stepanov has sold to Malaga. I will leave this here until the next update nonetheless.

Alvaro Pereira - Current Rating: 87; Initial Rating Prediction: 87 --> 89

I had doubts whether Alvaro Pereira was able to displace Cissokho in the starting team. With Cissokho´s transfer, Alvaro Pereira will be the starting left back in the squad the whole season as his direct competition is the mediocre Benitez who couldn´t play well even to save his life. Fucile can also play here, and it could be a possibility for this place as well. In the pre-season matches, Alvaro Pereira has been leaving very good indications of his abilities. He is not as good as Cissokho defensively, but he has a more attacking propulsion, thus being more capable in the one-on-one. He is also not as athletic (fatigue resistance wise) as Cissokho (hard to find anyone more athletic than Cissokho in resistance terms though) but he is a more accomplished crosser. So my thought is that Porto isn´t losing much with Alvaro Pereira instead of Cissokho. He had his first caps with the Uruguayan National Team, which impelled me to predict a 89 instead of an 88/89. I believe that Porto´s Uruguayan trio Fucile/Rodriguez/Alvaro Pereira will always be at least called for the National Team from now on. And on top of all this, he is just 23 years old. I see a great player here and I recommend his signing to any team on SM.

Benitez - Current Rating: 85; Initial Rating Prediction: 85 --> 84

I usually don´t criticize players that much, but I have to do it in this case. Benitez is an authentic aberration. He can´t play football, as simple as that. He misses short passes even if his target is only a few meter away, he can´t make a decent clearance, he can´t give attacking support like a good wing back is supposed to do, he can´t cross and he gets beaten on the one-on-one 90% of the times. Arsenal fans surely remember him. I have no idea how he ended up in Porto. I only have one verdict: sell him, sell him as fast as you can. He is rubbish. The only thing positive in Benitez is that he was so bad that he forced Porto to buy a new left back, that being Cissokho.

Fucile - Current Rating: 90; Initial Rating Prediction: 90 --> 90

Fucile is one of my favourite players in Porto, but he has never been the same ever since he suffered an injury in the middle of the previous season. He lacks rhythm, and his pre-season matches exhibitions have been putting his first team place on hold. He can play equally good in the right and in the left, and that increases his chances of a first team place, but he can´t expect to keep a place if his current form continues, specially with Sapunaru´s tremendous evolution as a footballer since his arrival in Porto and Alvaro Pereira´s good indications. Fucile is also a regular presence in the Uruguayan National Team. When in-form, he is arguably the best wing back in Portugal. I hope that form returns.

Sapunaru - Current Rating: 88; Initial Rating Prediction: 88 --> 89

I disliked Sapunaru when he first came to Porto. He made some fishy performances and contributed to accentuate Porto´s weakness in the wing back area. As the season progressed, and with Fucile´s above referred injury, Sapunaru began to play more games and his confidence - and consequently his game quality - rose to very acceptable levels. He defends very well, and his attacking qualities aren´t bad either although they could be better. His abilities match exactly what Porto´s coach Jesualdo likes in the wing back: one player who is offensive that usually supports well the attack (Fucile, Alvaro) and the other wing back being someone who defends better and can give good marking support in the opponent´s set-pieces (Sapunaru). That is actually one of Sapunaru´s best qualities, the aerial ability, way better than Fucile´s. He is also a regular call up for the Romania National Team. As such I believe he will warrant a nice +1 rise as Jesualdo seems to like him very much. He hasn´t played any pre-season match due to injury, but he has recovered now.

Miguel Lopes - Current Rating: 84; Initial Rating Prediction: 84 --> 86

I appreciate Miguel Lopes´s qualities. I have watched only two of his games the previous season (his games against Porto) but it was enough to see what Miguel Lopes, one of the season´s revelations, was capable of. He is similar to Fucile, but more strong physically and slightly inferior in the dribbling department. He will have to work hard if he wants to play regularly in Porto but he will have his opportunities. The National Team is currently out of question with Bosingwa, Miguel and Joao Pereira competing for that spot. He is currently injured so he hasn´t played any game for Porto yet, but he will return to actions soon. A small +2 rise is in order as I believe he will play enough minutes to warrant it.

Fernando - Current Rating: 89; Initial Rating Prediction: 89 --> 90

Fernando is a discreet but extremely important player to Porto. He is the scion of balance, the pendulum, the key in Jesualdo´s tactic, as was the Judas Paulo Assunção. Without him, Porto loses 50% of their defensive and defence-attack transition capability. How is a player like this is not in the Brazilian National Team, it is something that transcends me. The defensive midfielder position, vacant after Judas Paulo Assunção left the club, was possibly the most difficult replacement that Porto had to make as Quaresma and Bosingwa would be easily replaced. Fernando managed to even surpass his predecessor. His tackling ability is exceptional and he is much better than Judas Paulo Assunção in the attacking department. Last season he was awarded a +3 up to 89 in SM and I was really happy because I thought he would be confined to a three jump up to 90, when he now will do it in two. Next ratings change he will hit 90 and there in nothing that Prediguer can do to prevent that. Only injuring him in training I guess.

Prediguer - Current Rating: 86; Initial Rating Prediction: 86 --> 87

Can´t really say much about him as I never seen him play (only arrived yesterday and hasn´t played any game with Porto yet). I recommend Radebe20´s Argentinian thread for more information. I´m not sure how much game time he will get as Jesualdo doesn´t like to leave Fernando out neither using a double defensive midfielder tactic. I guess he will have some playing time, enough to get an 87. This is a very premature prediction though.

Tomas Costa - Current Rating: 87; Initial Rating Prediction: 87 --> 87/88

I like Tomas Costa. He is so versatile that he has played as a centre midfielder, a defensive midfielder, a right midfielder in a 4-4-2 tactic and a right back. He may not be very gifted technically, but he compensates that with an enormous sacrifice capacity in every game. He is always running, disputing a ball on the right, on the left, in the centre running up and down. He finishes all the games exhausted, giving his best in every single minute and that is notorious at the end of the game or when he is subbed. Sadly he really hasn´t a team spot right now in the midfield (Raul Meireles, Belluschi and Fernando have it secured), so I don´t see him playing more than he did last season. He is a very useful player in the bench though. I reckon he´ll probably play the same amount of time as he did last season, so he will either stay or get a small +1 rise, provided SM is generous.

Raul Meireles - Current Rating: 91; Initial Rating Prediction: 91 --> 92

Raul Meireles is pure class. It really enraged me, to say the least, that he didn´t get a 92 last ratings change. He has played every World Cup Qualifying National Team game as a starter so far, was one of the best players in the league last season (only missed cup games and a couple of league games near the end of the season due to a small injury), making a lot of assistances and goals, but it is his simple yet demolishing quick first touch passes that really excel on the pitch. He should have been a 92 contender without a doubt and he is one for the next ratings change. He is Porto´s 3rd captain, or practically the vice-captain as Nuno will play very few games, even without coming from the youth ranks like Bruno Alves and that illustrates the importance of him on and off the pitch. I was way more afraid of losing Raul Meireles this season than Lucho Gonzalez. All in all, and should Bruno Alves leave, Raul Meireles will be "the captain of our ship". He deserves a 92.

Guarin - Current Rating: 85; Initial Rating Prediction: 85 --> 86/87

Despite a rather weak season, I see enormous potential in Guarin, he just has to get more opportunities to fulfil it. Physically he is the strongest player in the squad after Bruno Alves and technically he is also a very good player. Jesualdo seems to like him, so I can see Guarin having more playing time under his belt this season than Tomas Costa, and as of now the pre-season is proving me right. As for his pre-season matches, his exhibitions have been way better than last season´s, and he has impressed him. He is also regularly called up for the Colombia National Team. As such I can see him rise +1 point, possibly +2.

Belluschi - Current Rating: 89; Initial Rating Prediction: 89 --> 90

Porto was interested in Belluschi last year, after the amazing season he had with River Plate. However, due to the money asked by River, he ended up in Olympiakos, where he apparently was not as good as expected. Now he finally comes to Porto and so far he is being an exciting signing and in the pre-season matches he is impressing everything and everyone. He has everything that a good advanced midfielder (he is playing more the role of a very offensive central midfielder right now, but anyway...) needs: very developed technique; excellent mid-range shoot; speed; pass quality and vision. For me Belluschi is a perfect replacement for Lucho even though he doesn´t carry out all the "invisible work" that Lucho did this season. As for the Argentinian National Team, I know he has several caps, but he been left out for a while now. I believe that if he performs well in the Champions League, he may be at least called back. To sum up, I put him up to a 90 as I believe he will play most of the season (it will be interesting to see the fight for a first team place with Valeri). I´d say he will change positions in SM too, from AM/RM to CM/RM.

Valeri - Current Rating: 88; Initial Rating Prediction: 88 --> 89

When Lanus was crowned champion, Porto was very interested in signing their most valuable player, Valeri, along with several other teams. He stayed in Lanus though and as far as I know he was plagued with injuries during the last year. Still, Porto sees in him the same quality of before and decided to take him on a two year loan deal with a buy-out clause of 6 million Euros. He only played roughly 20 minutes in the pre-season so far, and they were a bit inconclusive, so again, I recommend Radebe20´s thread for more info on him. Valeri will fight for a spot in the midfield with Belluschi (Raul Meireles is an indisputable starter), but right now he is a couple of points behind as Belluschi did the entire pre-season games as a starter and Valeri arrived later and hasn´t had enough time to play much. The Peace Cup will be very helpful to see him in action. I predict and 89 because I´m aiming for the best case scenario, but my guess is that if Belluschi gets the 90, Valeri won´t get 89 and vice-versa. His position should also change to something more like CM/AM.

Cristian Rodriguez - Current Rating: 90; Initial Rating Prediction: 90 --> 90/91

After a shaking start in the previous season, Cristian Rodriguez ended up as a major piece in Porto´s title success. He was originally bought to replace Quaresma, and while not having his stunning technique (not very far from it though) or the "trivela" crosses, he is faster and a much more quick thinker. The only reason I don´t put him to a clear 91, is due to Varela, whom I will talk about next. Rodriguez is very important in the Uruguayan National Team, which helps his rating. He hasn´t played any games in the pre-season due to injury, but he is recovered now and is available to play in the Peace Cup (although I doubt he will, doesn´t have the rhythm of first team to be able to play at 100%). Depending on the time he will play, I guess a 91 is fine provided he is a starter.

Varela - Current Rating: 85; Initial Rating Prediction: 85 --> 87/88

For me Varela is the best signing for Porto until now. Youth product of Sporting, he came on a free transfer from Estrela da Amadora after an amazing season given the conditions stated above. He and Nuno Andre were the leaders of the team. Varela´s style of play is very similar to Drogba, hence is nickname earned in Estrela, "Amadora´s Drogba". So far in the pre-season he has been one of, if not THE, best player in the squad. He knows that if he wants to pick up a place in the squad he will have to work very hard, and that´s exactly what he is doing. He is also very humble, a characteristic that I appreciate a lot in players. I put him up to an 87 because even if he doesn´t pick up a starting spot, I guess that he will be used a lot due to his characteristics, mainly his mobility in the attack, which Jesualdo appreciates much. Should he win his first cap with the National Team, something that would be everything but surprising, then I put him up to a 88. I wholeheartedly recommend his signing.

Mariano Gonzalez - Current Rating: 88; Initial Rating Prediction: 88 --> 88/89

When Mariano was first signed, nobody here in Porto seemed to like him: he was too clumsy and complicated for a winger and his performances were systematically bad, both when he played as a substitute and as a starter. Last year though he changed into a totally different player. He "discomplicated" himself and improved his game to a point where he played an important part in the league title. He is behind Hulk and Rodriguez to play in the wings, but I consider him an extremely useful option to have in the bench and Jesualdo likes him too. Considering he doesn´t play for the Argentinian National Team nor as a definite starter in Porto, it will be difficult for him to reach the 89, but I guess he has an outside chance for it. The highest probability is him staying as an 88.

Hulk - Current Rating: 88; Initial Rating Prediction: 88 --> 90

The real beast. Hulk was for me the best signing of the season last year. He is really explosive, his speed and acceleration is simply unmatchable here in Portugal and by few in Europe. I won´t dwell long in his characteristics as he is well known in the forum. I´ll just state these two facts: Sir Alex asked before the clash against Porto how Hulk wasn´t on the Brazilian National Team and this summer an English team (undisclosed) offered an official 34 million euros bid, which was rejected by Porto. As for his rating he is a starter and allied with his quality on the pitch, I put him for a 90. Should he reach the National Team, which will be difficult as Dunga doesn´t look for players in Portugal sadly, I´ll put him up to a 91. Buy him as soon as possible if you haven´t done so already.

Falcao - Current Rating: 89; Initial Rating Prediction: 89 --> 90

Falcao was the first option to replace Lisandro. He arrived only a few days ago so and played the same inconclusive amount of time of Valeri, so once again I recommend Radebe20´s Argentinian thread for more info on him. I put Falcao to 90 as I think he will play as a starter when the domestic season kicks off, plus he is regularly called up for the Colombia National Team. Should easily get the 90 if he scores a decent amount of goals.

Farias - Current Rating: 88; Initial Rating Prediction: 88 --> 88/89

Farias is excellent. He isn´t a starter in Porto, but he is a perfect killer substitute. Whenever he comes in, Porto scores a goal most of the times, at least in the league, either with a Farias assistance or goal. Last season he bagged 10 goals in just 900 minutes in the Portuguese league, averaging 1 goals per 90 minutes. His heading is his strongest point. Should Falcao not correspond to the expectations, Farias will assume his role in the attack, and then he could have an outside chance of achieving an 89, just like Mariano. He is injured and hasn´t played any pre-season match yet.

Adriano - Current Rating: 85; Initial Rating Prediction: 85 --> 84/83

Adriano is an awful professional. When communicated that Jesualdo Ferreira didn´t count with him for the squad, he decided to stay in the team, protected by his rich contract, despite having good offers both for Porto and himself. He even said loud and clear in the street that he wanted to "steal" as much money as possible from Porto. So right now he is training separately from the rest of the squad and Porto has no other choice than maintaining him, because all attempts to terminate the contract have been rejected or negotiated so that Adriano would receive an absurd amount of money. Dispatch him as soon as possible in case you have him in your team.

Orlando Sa - Current Rating: 82; Initial Rating Prediction: 82 --> 83/84

Orlando Sa is very well known here in the forum for his double figures rise last season. He is currently injured until mid October and won´t be able to play until then. He has Falcao and Farias in front of him, so I don´t expect more than a couple of league matches and cup games. Still, it should be enough to get a +1 or +2 rise. The National Team is out of reach for now, unless Carlos Queiroz is generous with him on friendly matches.

Well , first of all congratulations for your hard work , i must say i've appreciated very much and i agree with all your predictions . I'm a big fan of Porto , and i really recommend Varela . I think he could easily arrive to 89 this season if he plays and if Porto is well succeded in all competitions . He is really impressing me out , always a starter in the team and with some great exibitions i must reckon .

Other player that i'm sad he didn't had many opportunities is Stepanov (now off to Málaga) . In first look , that was quite of a promise . Some nice Technique , nice tackling and agressiveness , but lack of concentration (or maybe unlucky in the moment of truth) . Since Porto lost 4-1 in Anfield Road 2 years ago i think , he didn't have more opportunities , probaly unfair for a guy who was in Turkey NT . I wish him luck now in Málaga , i hope he can show that people are wrong about his qualities .

And once more , got to thanks DerbyPower for his hard work , great job , this could really help you SM players out to be updated in Portugal

Also you're right about Benítez , how a guy like that ended in Porto?LMAO , even our youth are better . Probably Arsenal will sign it up , in Emirates Stadium we were playing 10 against 12 last year LOL .

How good is Varela' date=' and is there another player one can compare him to?[/quote']

Here is the prediction i wrote on him in case you didn´t read it already:

For me Varela is the best signing for Porto until now. Youth product of Sporting, he came on a free transfer from Estrela da Amadora after an amazing season given the conditions stated above. He and Nuno Andre were the leaders of the team. Varela´s style of play is very similar to Drogba, hence is nickname earned in Estrela, "Amadora´s Drogba". So far in the pre-season he has been one of, if not THE, best player in the squad. He knows that if he wants to pick up a place in the squad he will have to work very hard, and that´s exactly what he is doing. He is also very humble, a characteristic that I appreciate a lot in players. I put him up to an 87 because even if he doesn´t pick up a starting spot, I guess that he will be used a lot due to his characteristics, mainly his mobility in the attack, which Jesualdo appreciates much. Should he win his first cap with the National Team, something that would be everything but surprising, then I put him up to a 88. I wholeheartedly recommend his signing.

It answers both your questions ;)

Barracuda likes this

are there any good 10k risers in portugal he could get you some good cash:o:)

are there any good 10k risers in portugal he could get you some good cash:o:)

It is difficult to say for now, because the league hasn´t started yet. The most I can tell you is Carlao from Uniao de Leiria, who scored 10 goals in 11 games last season after his signing in January, nas we hasn´t been reviewed yet. But 10k I believe there are none. You have Diogo Viana from Porto on loan to VVV-Venlo. If he plays, he can be in for a rise. He costs 70k though.