bcfc12345

Official Premier League Discussion Thread

Well it was hardly ruined was it? Even if Tottenham had beaten Chelsea they would have remained 5 points adrift of Leicester and still in need of a minor miracle.

If Tottenham wrap up second place tomorrow it will be their highest placed finish ever in the history of the Premier league and only the second time they have qualified for the Champions league whilst having conceded the least amount of goals with the highest goal difference. That doesn't sound too much like a ruined season to me.

If scraping a draw at home against Spurs to prevent them from winning something they were hardly likely to anyway is all Chelsea can do to earn respect then that is rather pathetic don't you think..... although extremely amusing of course.

Oh dear. Of course it was ruined. Chelsea, albeit through dodgy, shady, communist means, have actually achieved stuff in recent times. Spurs have achieved nothing, zilch, squat, zip. That's why their players played in such brutal fashion. As a club, they haven't won the league for yonks and if they didn't do it this year, they won't do it at all. It's been a failure of a season for everyone bar Leicester and pretending otherwise is delusional.

Oh dear. Of course it was ruined. Chelsea, albeit through dodgy, shady, communist means, have actually achieved stuff in recent times. Spurs have achieved nothing, zilch, squat, zip. That's why their players played in such brutal fashion. As a club, they haven't won the league for yonks and if they didn't do it this year, they won't do it at all. It's been a failure of a season for everyone bar Leicester and pretending otherwise is delusional.

That's a pretty nihilistic way of looking at things my friend. Nobody expected Leicester or Tottenham to finish in the top two but they did.  In the English language exceeding expectations = achievement.

Just because Chelsea flopped this season it would be laughable for them to try and justify their failure by saying that it was a disaster for everyone else too.  

I can sympathise that this season was a huge embarrassment for Chelsea as their defence of the title was as limp as the piece of lettuce in my Big Mac I had for lunch.   But a failure to display the sporting decency to even begrudgingly acknowledge that a rival team has had a decent season and thoroughly deserved it is pretty bad form in my book and smacks of the sourest of grapes.

I hate Chelsea more than anyone. Clubs like them and City are everything that's wrong with football. But Top 4 doesn't mean anything more than a few decent nights  and a bit of extra money. Trophies is what you want. It was there for Spurs this year.

Was there for Arsenal to to be fair  :lol:

Not while Wenger's in charge.

Maybe, but if Arsenal finish in second place ahead of Spurs it will make their season look more flattering than it actually was.  Albeit a pretty dismal difference in points from Leicester.

I hope Spurs finish as runners-up as they deserve it.  Can't imagine Arsenal losing their last match as Villa have been shocking all season and I can't see that about to change but Spurs probably have a better chance now that Newcastle have nothing left to play for.

Can't believe that Sunderland managed to survive yet again.  Cracking run of results right at the end and good to see an ex-spurs man piling on the misery against Chelsea last weekend.  Okay, we all know they had a miserable season anyway, but nice of Defoe to highlight it in bold for us.

It won't make it anything. Arsenal's season was dreadful, period. Until that self righteous nonce is gone, we won't do anything major.

What I meant was that if Arsenal finish as Runners-up it will make their season look better than it was and therefore Wenger is even less likely to go.  He may even possibly argue with you that finishing second would be something major?  After all, Arsenal haven't won the title in,, what,, 12 years now?  So I don't know why Arsenal fans think they are entitled to (or even likely to) win it again.

I know you say that winning trophies is what matters but that isn't entirely true is it...  otherwise the majority of football clubs around the planet would have folded long ago.  

I think with Wenger it is a difficult situation to get rid of him because of his history and loyal service to the club.  The Arsenal board would probably much prefer that he did the decent thing and just called it a day.  Maybe they have already dropped some strong hints and he either isn't taking any notice or he just isn't picking up what they are laying down.

Pre-Emirates, we had the best team in the world. We were told that the move would help us compete even further. It hasn't. We've gone drastically backwards. We've had 4 or 5 opportunities to win the league and we've flopped terribly. We're not entitled but we should be doing a hell of a lot better.  That is a fact.

Pre-Emirates, we had the best team in the world. We were told that the move would help us compete even further. It hasn't. We've gone drastically backwards. We've had 4 or 5 opportunities to win the league and we've flopped terribly. We're not entitled but we should be doing a hell of a lot better.  That is a fact.

When You moved, Arsenal took years to pay off the Emirates as well as selling stars along the way

summer will be interesting

When You moved, Arsenal took years to pay off the Emirates as well as selling stars along the way

I'm not sure about that.  I think Arsenal have one of the lowest debts in the EPL but I may be wrong.  You said the same thing about Tottenham and their plans to buy a new stadium even though Tottenham have always been a club that spends what it gets from player sales.  Daniel Levy has always given the manager everything from selling a player and not said we are having 50% of that to pay off debts or whatever. 

I'm not sure about that.  I think Arsenal have one of the lowest debts in the EPL but I may be wrong.  You said the same thing about Tottenham and their plans to buy a new stadium even though Tottenham have always been a club that spends what it gets from player sales.  Daniel Levy has always given the manager everything from selling a player and not said we are having 50% of that to pay off debts or whatever. 

Arsenal found the new stadium financing hard

They had to sell stars like Petit, Overmars, Anelka and also had to cut back on salaries

Still they had to sell naming rights and use Nike sponsorship money

All clubs will struggle if the expand or build new stadium

They had to sell stars like Petit, Overmars, Anelka and also had to cut back on salaries

West Ham ??

West Ham didn't need to build or expand stadium as stadium already built, all they needed was the permission to move there, pay rent etc of the stadium

So by your reckoning Arsenal and Tottenham will have nice new stadiums but second rate teams because they have to sell everyone to pay for it. West Ham become the new boys on the block? Cool, I look forward to seeing it.

You sir, are a moron. They were sold 3 years BEFORE the plans were made for the stadium.

In Wenger's own words, that ain't an issue now. What is an issue is injuries, keep losing to Chelsea, Stoke away, Southampton and Swansea, can't even score against Chelsea, tippy tappy football and a dreadful forward line.

So by your reckoning Arsenal and Tottenham will have nice new stadiums but second rate teams because they have to sell everyone to pay for it. West Ham become the new boys on the block? Cool, I look forward to seeing it.

Emirates cost 400mil plus an extra 100mil from delays to build, Tottenham stadium will cost near that

West Ham has a already built stadium by the tax payers and West Ham only need to adapt the stadium which cost 190mil but accordingly West Ham are only paying 15mil towards 190mil as the rest of it is coming out of the tax payer which I think is wrong plus West Ham has to pay 2 mil rent

You sir, are a moron. They were sold 3 years BEFORE the plans were made for the stadium.

Wenger had the idea for a new stadium in 1997 after being denied planning permission from the council

They brought industrial & waste estate in 2000, Won approval to build on it a year later, Building work was suppose to start in 2002 but delayed to 2004 cause of Financial difficulties

that Why Anelka etc was sold

In Wenger's own words, that ain't an issue now. What is an issue is injuries, keep losing to Chelsea, Stoke away, Southampton and Swansea, can't even score against Chelsea, tippy tappy football and a dreadful forward line.

Arsenal has paid off the Stadium in recent times as they finally splashed on Ozil n Sanchez

Don't talk about Injures to LvG, he think United could ofchallenges if United didn't have injures