Sign in to follow this  
Ashh

Where's the sensible discussion of ratings gone?

Okay i know i've only been here a year and didn't expierence the forum in its discusion hight back 06-08 but in the past year this whole player discusion section has seemed to have got a bit out of control and imature to be fair.

The quality of post is still there with some brilliant player discusion threads , scout reports and the like but some of them are pathetic. Why does there need to be 5 .. yes 5 seperate threads complaining about the English changes , if you want to vent your anger at them do them on a current thread dont make a new one ! , also has everyone just turned into Wilshire and Bale fans all of a sudden , if you want to understand why they only rose to 90 and 88 respectivly then find out how the player rating system works before you complain they didnt hit 95!

Sorry to vent my anger but when i first joined this part of the forum used to have a lot of good quality chat about player ratings and the like now it just seems to be people repeating and arguing about the same players on millions of threads.

Rant over.:o

Re: Where's the sensible discussion of ratings gone?

also has everyone just turned into Wilshire and Bale fans all of a sudden ' date=' if you want to understand why they only rose to 90 and 88 respectivly then find out how the player rating system works before you complain they didnt hit 95! [/quote']

Couldn't agree any more with this one. Some people didn't rate Bale before he suddenly got this good and they are all riding him and saying how much they think he is the best player of the world and he is better than Messi... Why, if Marlon King or some other terrible player started playing great and had a few good game they would suddenly like him as their favourite player and vote for +10 in rating :rolleyes:

Err -to rant or not to rant!:D

Now where do we go from here?-back to discussion or ranting about discussion's content or lack of :confused:

Anyway the criteria SM set out about ratings are clear, and its happened already.

I'm relatively new forumer , but I'm feel that too , even maybe many thread starter just register to the forum just to ask how many percentage X rise to 90 etc etc ..

After they get a satisfied answer they'll leave the forum and did'nt post again , that's not wrong , but it's really annoying , why have they didn't take a look at the existing prediction thread rather than made a new one (many this type of thread ask about players already oftenly mentioned in the forum)

Couldn't agree any more with this one. Some people didn't rate Bale before he suddenly got this good and they are all riding him and saying how much they think he is the best player of the world and he is better than Messi... Why' date=' if Marlon King or some other terrible player started playing great and had a few good game they would suddenly like him as their favourite player and vote for +10 in rating :rolleyes:[/quote']

Problem is SM have made it into this and made a rod for their own back by nannying 12 year olds and encouraging them on to the forum. I mean, I even got a mod PM for using the term bin dipper the other day!

I'm not blaming the mods, they do what they're told to do but by making it so politically correct and encouraging the kids to post this BS over and over again makes it what it is. How can you have sensible conversation when every time you suggest Bale is not the best thing since sliced bread you have some whining little pillock going on and on and on... There's no fun in here anymore, I just troll the threads for any risers I may have missed now and again or wind up the scousers.

Problem is SM have made it into this and made a rod for their own back by nannying 12 year olds and encouraging them on to the forum. I mean' date=' [b']I even got a mod PM for using the term bin dipper the other day[/b]!

I'm not blaming the mods, they do what they're told to do but by making it so politically correct and encouraging the kids to post this BS over and over again makes it what it is. How can you have sensible conversation when every time you suggest Bale is not the best thing since sliced bread you have some whining little pillock going on and on and on... There's no fun in here anymore, I just troll the threads for any risers I may have missed now and again or wind up the scousers.

What a joke :rolleyes: Nothing you can do really...

Its understandable (to satisfy short term opinion)that there is a demand for ratings changes to happen every month or something. i guess it would be too time consuming and lead to more silly "debates". People don't seem to want to understand the ratings are done over two years of consistent or in some cases inconsistent performances.

Bale is a good example as little as a year or two ago Bale had some kind of curse on him (Tottenham not winning any games when HE played)now he's gods gift to football. As exciting as he is to watch him spank Brazilian defenders who knows what the future holds.

might have something to do with the amount of kids now on the Forum.....you realise this when your trying to have grown-up discussion about a player and someone joins in with username's like "ILOVEBALE" or "pokemonking" come out with comments like "he should be 93 he's the best ever" and "he's great because I love him" when the player they are on about hasn't done anything up until 6 months ago.

seems to me like the average age on the forum has dropped dramaticaly in the past year.

might have something to do with the amount of kids now on the Forum.....you realise this when your trying to have grown-up discussion about a player and someone joins in with username's like "ILOVEBALE" or "pokemonking" come out with comments like "he should be 93 he's the best ever" and "he's great because I love him" when the player they are on about hasn't done anything up until 6 months ago.

seems to me like the average age on the forum has dropped dramaticaly in the past year.

Woahh lets not bring pokemon into things.. was my favourite cartoon growing up :D

Totally agreed with your point though, i loath the way new people come on these forums and try telling you how things should be done or somebody deserves this rating because he outplayed somebody better in one game they played so therefore hes better :rolleyes:

Best. Thread. Ever.

The Player Discussion used to be one of my favourite sections. I learnt a lot reading the Help with Deals Thread and now feel I can post accurate advice on there for those who need it. I hate all the kids who advise people to go for the in-form player and don't consider the wider picture. They simply don't understand and whilst they mean well giving advice, giving bad advice is even worse :o You even get spammers over there. So often I see posts duplicated on the Help with Deals; Players to Buy, Sell or Keep; league rating and even a whole new thread for one deal! It's ridiculous.

The Player Ratings section is even worse. We haven't yet got to the stage of people who think they know what they're doing posting poor predictions but people are all too often not cautious enough. This is evident with the Bale and Wilshere discussions. However, you get endless spam on individual country threads. The culprits are always the same, they know who they are. On every one the player you're after likely has a prediction next to his name or has been previously discussed. The search tool isn't for show :rolleyes:

I think the main problem is that now the number of new players and pure idiots now outnumber the sensible folk on the forum. 3 posts of bad advice get taken in over 1 post of good advice. To be honest, the section needs a mass clean-up but with the amount of new posts every day it's going to prove difficult :o

The Player Ratings section is even worse. We haven't yet got to the stage of people who think they know what they're doing posting poor predictions but people are all too often not cautious enough. This is evident with the Bale and Wilshere discussions. However' date=' you get endless spam on individual country threads. The culprits are always the same, they know who they are. On every one the player you're after likely has a prediction next to his name or has been previously discussed. The search tool isn't for show :rolleyes:[/quote']

On some forums which aren't Tesco value there's a tool embedded which when you create a new thread it automatically checks whether there are potential duplicates. I.e. "Bale for 99" would be flagged as a duplicate and question whether you really want to raise a new thread. SM should employ a tool like this as it would probably stop 70% of dupes being raised.

I totally agree. However I don't think it will be long until this thread gets turned into another "Gareth Bale should be 99" thread or something along those lines.

On some forums which aren't Tesco value there's a tool embedded which when you create a new thread it automatically checks whether there are potential duplicates. I.e. "Bale for 99" would be flagged as a duplicate and question whether you really want to raise a new thread. SM should employ a tool like this as it would probably stop 70% of dupes being raised.

I like that idea, you should see about trying to get that put on the forum.

I think as long as this is a free forum (which it should be) that kind of thing won't be introduced. People should just show a bit of initiative and mods should be more active :o

Guest drseanfitz

I think as long as this is a free forum (which it should be) that kind of thing won't be introduced. People should just show a bit of initiative and mods should be more active :o

In what way?

In what way?

I'm pretty sure duplicate threads aren't allowed. There have been several examples of those in recent days. The 5 threads Ash mentioned could have been merged or individual threads concerning, say Torres' drop, could have been merged with the Torres 96 -> 95 thread put up before the changes.

I think I'm possibly thinking too radically but I'd love it if the Player Assistance forum had about 6 threads: help with deals, buy sell or keep, squad advice, what'll happen to rating of player X and a couple of the more relevant help guides. There's no need to make a thread saying should I do this deal when posting in the help with deals thread will get you a faster, less space consuming and often more accurate answer.

I'd also be ecstatic if the Player Rating Prediction forum contained threads detailing risers and droppers and threads evaluating the changes. Simply to put all the stuff that's wrong with the section in one place. Take the English ratings: I'd much prefer if there were an English ratings thread. Anyone can post predictions and they can be discussed. It'd be very easy to search and, ideally, all people asking what player X would rise to would be ignored. Then after the ratings make another thread for discussion of the ratings which have just occurred. At the moment that forum is incredibly hard to search in. Take DP's Portugal discussion thread. It's without a doubt the place everyone goes to for the Portuguese predictions and questions about players. Yet it's currently at the bottom of the 3rd page of this forum and I asked a question in there very recently. Less threads = less clutter = easier to find useful stuff.

Guest drseanfitz

I'm pretty sure duplicate threads aren't allowed. There have been several examples of those in recent days. The 5 threads Ash mentioned could have been merged or individual threads concerning' date=' say Torres' drop, could have been merged with the Torres 96 -> 95 thread put up before the changes.

I think I'm possibly thinking too radically but I'd love it if the Player Assistance forum had about 6 threads: help with deals, buy sell or keep, squad advice, what'll happen to rating of player X and a couple of the more relevant help guides. There's no need to make a thread saying should I do this deal when posting in the help with deals thread will get you a faster, less space consuming and often more accurate answer.

I'd also be ecstatic if the Player Rating Prediction forum contained threads detailing risers and droppers and threads evaluating the changes. Simply to put all the stuff that's wrong with the section in one place. Take the English ratings: I'd much prefer if there were an English ratings thread. Anyone can post predictions and they can be discussed. It'd be very easy to search and, ideally, all people asking what player X would rise to would be ignored. Then after the ratings make another thread for discussion of the ratings which have just occurred. At the moment that forum is incredibly hard to search in. Take DP's Portugal discussion thread. It's without a doubt the place everyone goes to for the Portuguese predictions and questions about players. Yet it's currently at the bottom of the 3rd page of this forum and I asked a question in there very recently. Less threads = less clutter = easier to find useful stuff.[/quote']

I was thinking some similar thoughts earlier (hence me asking you to expand)

I was thinking some similar thoughts earlier (hence me asking you to expand)

At the moment finding stuff you want to is like finding a needle in a haystack. Even the search tool is useless as all results yield people asking questions about the player. It's got to the stage where if I want to know something I'll either look myself or ask someone I trust directly. It's a shame as this forum was the most valuable area to me when I signed up but it's gone off the rails.

There's also an issue on the activity levels of the mods. Ben comes on once in a while to warn people not to call Liverpool fans bin dippers, Ken's much less active nowadays and Adam and Tom tend to use other areas of the forum. Giving language mods like Pazz, Phil and Timo some jurisdiction over this area could help as they use it regularly and no doubt encounter much worse problems than us mere mortals who don't attempt rating predictions :D

Best. Thread. Ever.

The Player Discussion used to be one of my favourite sections. I learnt a lot reading the Help with Deals Thread and now feel I can post accurate advice on there for those who need it. I hate all the kids who advise people to go for the in-form player and don't consider the wider picture. They simply don't understand and whilst they mean well giving advice' date=' giving bad advice is even worse :o You even get spammers over there. So often I see posts duplicated on the Help with Deals; Players to Buy, Sell or Keep; league rating and even a whole new thread for one deal! It's ridiculous.

The Player Ratings section is even worse. We haven't yet got to the stage of people who think they know what they're doing posting poor predictions but people are all too often not cautious enough. This is evident with the Bale and Wilshere discussions. However, you get endless spam on individual country threads. The culprits are always the same, they know who they are. On every one the player you're after likely has a prediction next to his name or has been previously discussed. The search tool isn't for show :rolleyes:

I think the main problem is that now the number of new players and pure idiots now outnumber the sensible folk on the forum. 3 posts of bad advice get taken in over 1 post of good advice. To be honest, the section needs a mass clean-up but with the amount of new posts every day it's going to prove difficult :o[/quote']

Agree with this. People have come to comment on things that they know nothing about. I still read the forums, most often as a guest, and have seen comments like "Rafael Toloi's club got relegated, sell him!". Yeah. 'cause that's logic at work. These people don't realise that Goias also are a draw away from winning South America's version of the Europa league, which would get them into the Copa Libertadores next year, which would get him so much attention that Euro clubs will finally make a decent offer, which Goias, who will be in financial trouble, will likely accept. But no, they are going down so sell the boy.

There are countless amounts of rubbish rating posts as well, you are wrong in saying that there arn't. Last Brazilian changes, someone else posted some, no clue what they were doing. I can't wait to read the next ones, I know for sure that I won't be posting any predictions.

I'm pretty sure duplicate threads aren't allowed. There have been several examples of those in recent days. The 5 threads Ash mentioned could have been merged or individual threads concerning' date=' say Torres' drop, could have been merged with the Torres 96 -> 95 thread put up before the changes.

I'd also be ecstatic if the Player Rating Prediction forum contained threads detailing risers and droppers and threads evaluating the changes. Simply to put all the stuff that's wrong with the section in one place. Take the English ratings: I'd much prefer if there were an English ratings thread. Anyone can post predictions and they can be discussed. It'd be very easy to search and, ideally, all people asking what player X would rise to would be ignored. Then after the ratings make another thread for discussion of the ratings which have just occurred. At the moment that forum is incredibly hard to search in. Take DP's Portugal discussion thread. It's without a doubt the place everyone goes to for the Portuguese predictions and questions about players. Yet it's currently at the bottom of the 3rd page of this forum and I asked a question in there very recently. Less threads = less clutter = easier to find useful stuff.[/quote']

This is true. When I was mod, I was consistently merging threads, this needs to happen. Also, get rid of the "player assistance" forum. There's no use in having 4 "Sandro Ranieri" threads in EACH forum.

I recently took all my player posts together and put them into one thread, as well as stopped making new threads, just posting in the one. Why? Because threads have become irrelevant, and I was stuck linking my threads in response to PMs and new threads, with the sole content "how mch will julianno rise 2?" Use the seach tool, people. It's less annoying for us.

At the moment finding stuff you want to is like finding a needle in a haystack. Even the search tool is useless as all results yield people asking questions about the player. It's got to the stage where if I want to know something I'll either look myself or ask someone I trust directly. It's a shame as this forum was the most valuable area to me when I signed up but it's gone off the rails.

There's also an issue on the activity levels of the mods. Ben comes on once in a while to warn people not to call Liverpool fans bin dippers' date=' Ken's much less active nowadays and Adam and Tom tend to use other areas of the forum. Giving language mods like Pazz, Phil and Timo some jurisdiction over this area could help as they use it regularly and no doubt encounter much worse problems than us mere mortals who don't attempt rating predictions :D[/quote']

Problem is with mod supervision. There was a time where there were 3 or 4 supervisors consistently on the forums, making sure that each section is being tended to and that the mods are doing what they should be. Now, not so much. Mods arn't doing any of the maintenance work, and neither is anyone else.

Guest drseanfitz

There's also an issue on the activity levels of the mods. Ben comes on once in a while to warn people not to call Liverpool fans bin dippers' date=' Ken's much less active nowadays and Adam and Tom tend to use other areas of the forum. Giving language mods like Pazz, Phil and Timo some jurisdiction over this area could help as they use it regularly and no doubt encounter much worse problems than us mere mortals who don't attempt rating predictions[/color'] :D

agree with the first bit, bit in blue is different matter, and distracts from the main topic of this thread. just bear in mind all mods give their time freely, and given the increasing number of abusive posts and swearing popping up lately, have a lot to do(one example there was a thread started last week with swearing in it's title, and over 20 replies, each of which were stuck with the same title, so I had to individually go in and change nearly 30 posts)

And if you were wondering the player assistance area is outside my remit.

agree with the first bit' date=' bit in blue is different matter, and distracts from the main topic of this thread. just bear in mind all mods give their time freely, and given the increasing number of abusive posts and swearing popping up lately, have a lot to do(one example there was a thread started last week with swearing in it's title, and over 20 replies, each of which were stuck with the same title, so I had to individually go in and change nearly 30 posts)

And if you were wondering the player assistance area is outside my remit.[/quote']

This is what I mean, it's the supers, not the mods. Maintenance is not being taken care of.