Sign in to follow this  
thecocoman

The Official MLS Thread

most people know, Galaxy won the championship.

MVP went to Dwayne De Rosario.

Rookie Of year went to CJ Sapong

Newcomer was Mauro Rosales

Golden Boot went to De Rosario

Keeper award went to Kasey Keller

Defender went to Omar Gonzalez

Comeback player went to David Beckham

Coach went to Bruce Arena.

Have anything to say about the MLS? News? Questions? Risers? post it here!

Re: Official MLS thread

Ok, so Europe is calming down now with the end of the top flight leagues' seasons and the CL Final... Give the MLS a look while you wait for your favorite leagues to start back up again! Hoping for some more fans to pop up, just throw in a post about the MLS if you have something to talk about.

Also, I saw the other day that Nesta is very interested in a move to MLS, he said the Italian game has picked up too much pace for him. I'd like to see him play here, good luck to him.

R.I.P. Urso:(

Federico Higuain and Jairo Arrieta doing well so far for Crew. I was skeptical of the choice to bring in Higuain (after all he's not Gonzalo:p), but he's turning out to be the goal scorer we need. Still have a shot at the playoffs:D!

I've always wondered if the MLS wage cap rule and American style trades/drafts put off European fans. I'm not aware of anywhere else that has such an emphasis on College, has a league with so much control, and has silly things like designated players and wage caps. As an American it doesn't bother me, although it just feels awkward when applied to soccer. Thoughts?

I've always wondered if the MLS wage cap rule and American style trades/drafts put off European fans. I'm not aware of anywhere else that has such an emphasis on College' date=' has a league with so much control, and has silly things like designated players and wage caps. As an American it doesn't bother me, although it just feels awkward when applied to soccer. Thoughts?[/quote']

Doubt it-it's stature is growing and once it is seen as a lucrative market for players at their peak it will. My guess though it will be more like the Bundesliga than the EPL.

And Wage caps etc are excellent as you are growing teams and leagues with a limited market .

Doubt it-it's stature is growing and once it is seen as a lucrative market for players at their peak it will. My guess though it will be more like the Bundesliga than the EPL.

And Wage caps etc are excellent as you are growing teams and leagues with a limited market .

I agree that the stature of the league is growing but I don't see it moving in the direction of a suitable league from players in their prime, more as a stepping stone between the Americas and Europe as well as the retirement home that it's seen as now. I don't follow German football so I don't understand the the comparison. Care to elaborate?

I agree that the stature of the league is growing but I don't see it moving in the direction of a suitable league from players in their prime' date=' more as a stepping stone between the Americas and Europe as well as the retirement home that it's seen as now. I don't follow German football so I don't understand the the comparison. Care to elaborate?[/quote']

well the MLS started as something like an amateur league and was part of the World Cup Legacy. Soccer in the US was mainly confined to Colleges and women. It then started to draw on talent outside the US-Concacaf region. Then in order to raise it's profile (not necessarily standard of play) it drew in stars past their prime-Beckham etc.

This was similar to what took place in the NFL, NBA and NHL in the early days-so it will just take a bit more time. The retirement home has been taken by the mid east/russian clubs :)

Have a read of this article as it explains the comparisons:

http://henrikloenne.blogspot.com/2012/06/mls-and-bundesliga-as-role-models.html

Gz, I was dissapointed Toronto FC didn't get a win vs LA. I'm really happy with Osario getting a goal as He's a 20 year old Brampton Native. However, Villareal's goal was fantastic with that scissor kick. Things are looking up for us though with Nielsen as Coah. :)

Gz' date=' I was dissapointed Toronto FC didn't get a win vs LA. I'm really happy with Osario getting a goal as He's a 20 year old Brampton Native. However, Villareal's goal was fantastic with that scissor kick. Things are looking up for us though with Nielsen as Coah. :)[/quote']

Toronto's defender just passed it to Villareal for that goal.

Toronto's defender just passed it to Villareal for that goal.

Yeah I know, He basically headed it to him..

Whateves, Things can only get better for us :D. I mean how can we not build upon our 19th place finish last year :)?

Been really impressed with Osorio and scored his second goal of the season just yesterday. He recently even was given a Canadian Mens National Team cap.

I reckon TFC need to play him alot more as He has been getting no minutes this season.

Rolfe and Lindpere were on fire tonight a brace for Rolfe and a goal and 2 assists for Lindpere. Also on the broadcast the fire commentators say the club will have an announcement this week sometime on a signing and it's said to be a striker

For SM managers, Jose Villareal,DeAndre Yedlin, Jonathon Osorio, Deigo Fagundez,Teibert, Shane O'neill (75 rated) ,Soony Saad, Kelyn Rowe, Andrew Farrell (73 rated), DeShorn Brown,Adam Jahn(74 rated), Dillon Powers, Carlos Alvarez.

Sanvezzo Camilo should get at least a +2 to 82 but it won't surprise me to see him up more. He's been great for Vancouver and is the current leading scorer in the MLS. He's been on fire with 9 goals in his last 7 games , and has been really helping Vancouver this season and as of late.

I was impressed with Jose Villareal yesterday against the Whitecaps.

Osorio is one to look out for as He's been getting more and more minutes and is now basically a starter for my hometown Toronto FC. Not to mention, He played three times for the Senior Canadian National Team in the Gold Cup and in his last 2 games with the CMNT , He played the full 90 in both matches.

Gotta say I'm glad we got Magee in the Rogers deal with LA.

Magee's been an absolute steal for you guys whereas Rogers hasn't shown as much. I reckon Magee deserves a cap for the USMNT. Ever since Magee was shifted up into the forward position, He's been on fire for Chicago.

Dempsey back to the MLS! Great news for the MLS' date=' but not a good career move imo for Dempsey :o. He should have just went to another EPL team.[/quote']

Great move and Seattle for the MLS as they get Dempsey whos a top quality player but it's a bad move for his career and I reckon someone like him should be playing outside of the MLS as He represents U.S Soccer.

Definitely a bad move career wise for Dempsey, however should be able to shake up the Western Conference...not looking likely Chicago will make any more signings before the August 8th deadline, Macdonald possibly could be going out on a loan but with the FO you never know.

Definitely a bad move career wise for Dempsey' date=' however should be able to shake up the Western Conference...not looking likely Chicago will make any more signings before the August 8th deadline, Macdonald possibly could be going out on a loan but with the FO you never know.[/quote']

I think he's just thinking about being a patriot or just wants to live in America :D

Gotta love being a Fire supporter and then the club publishes an ediotorial their head of communications writes.....http://www.chicago-fire.com/blog/post/2013/08/21/editorial-what-it-means-be-part-fire-family

My thoughts are well maybe if our owner cared about our team we wouldn't have this whole conversation