Sign in to follow this  
EdMoses

The Greatest - Nominations Thread

Re: The Greatest - Nominations Thread

Pele says Lionel Messi is not the greatest ever player

_58014086_messi.jpg

Brazil legend Pele says Barcelona's Argentina star Lionel Messi has a long way to go to be considered his rival as the greatest player of all time.

Messi' date=' 24, has won Fifa's Ballon d'Or for the best player in the world for a third successive year.

But Pele thinks he needs to improve for Argentina and score more goals.

Continue reading the main story

He's a great player for Barcelona, but when he plays for Argentina he doesn't have the same success

Pele on Messi

"When Messi's scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it," Pele told French newspaper Le Monde.

Messi has won the Champions League three times with Barcelona, as well as five league Spanish league titles.

But his only triumph with the national team was at the 2008 Olympics - while Pele's Brazil won the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970.

The 71-year-old said: "I like Messi a lot, he's a great player. Technically, we're practically at the same level.

"He's a great player for Barcelona, but when he plays for Argentina he doesn't have the same success.

"People always ask me: 'When is the new Pele going to be born?' Never. My father and mother have closed the factory."

source:

[url']http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16661825.stm[/url]

Pele would say that wouldn't he?

The greatest player is not necessarily the most skilled -legend has it that's Pele.

IMO there can be only one-Diego Armando Maradona based on achievements, impact on the game and accomplishments based on the teams he carried.

Maybe if he was European he may have been given greater accolades-and that small incident of the hand of god..:D

Pele would say that wouldn't he?

The greatest player is not necessarily the most skilled -legend has it that's Pele.

IMO there can be only one-Diego Armando Maradona based on achievements' date=' impact on the game and accomplishments based on the teams he carried.

Maybe if he was European he may have been given greater accolades-and that small incident of the hand of god..:D[/quote']

I am Scottish Maradona is a in legend up here :)

I am Scottish Maradona is a in legend up here :)

I wonder why?:D

Actually lucky to see him play during his career -and love em or loathe him -he single footedly carried his teams consistently against the odds -whether against The Milan's in Serie A or Argentina against vastly superior Brazil/ European sides.

Pele

Best

Maradona

Zidane

Di Stefano

Cruyff

Maldini

Zico

Yashin

Jairzinho

PXzChH7MV60

And Garrincha mate-don't forget. Will not vote for anyone else as in this format of voting others less worthy get votes just to fill up 10 nominations.

I doubt someone ever heard about Dobrin but when Romanian football was one of the best in the world 70'-90' he was one of the best for me.

-> here's a short video of Dobrin

Another top romanian footballer...the best ever from Romania and I doubt will ever exist something like this in Romania(maybe in 100 years).....is Gheorghe Hagi...surely one of the best footballers ever.Another video of Hagi here:

Hagi deserve more then 2 votes really....he's in top 15 best footballers ever...

Enjoy the videos...

I doubt someone ever heard about Dobrin but when Romanian football was one of the best in the world 70'-90' he was one of the best for me.

Another top romanian footballer...the best ever from Romania and I doubt will ever exist something like this in Romania(maybe in 100 years).....is Gheorghe Hagi...surely one of the best footballers ever.Another video of Hagi here:

Hagi deserve more then 2 votes really....he's in top 15 best footballers ever...

Enjoy the videos...

Never heard of them .. :rolleyes::D

Enjoy the videos...

Never heard of them .. :rolleyes::D

I remember Hagi. Quality player! He was awesome but not in the same league as the likes of Pele. Maybe because he didn't have the same players around him.

I think

should be on the list too! Its worth the wait to see goal No.1 in that video.

I remember Hagi. Quality player! He was awesome but not in the same league as the likes of Pele. Maybe because he didn't have the same players around him.

I think

should be on the list too! Its worth the wait to see goal No.1 in that video.

I was being sarcastic Dai :D . Of course I know them , maybe because of the fact that I am the same nationality as them . Haven't seen much of Dobrin , but I know he was a great player . Hagi unfortunately hasn't had much luck in management . He was a great play maker and a prolific goalscorer , I would associate him to Xavi's style of play . But as you said , neither of them were in the same League as the likes of Pele , Maradona and Messi , but certainly one of the greatest .

N8_JYHtvTS8

Personally this is my favourite Maradona vid..apparently Goikoetxea has the boots he wore during the game framed above his mantelpiece...along with various bone fragments' date=' teeth, ears etc :eek: [/color']

lolz..yeah true Brit there mate. And yes the "butcher" does have them as trophies..not sure about fragments.

I never tire of watching this genius at work.

8Y8d7Cb8a1s

True..But the defining factor was his will to win-which even led him to do illicit stuff. He was much more limited than the others on the list-but that desire' date=' and belief in oneself made him tops in my book.

I think Pele is the greatest in the history of football. No player is, or will ever be as good as him.

Not sure about ever will be though..

Enjoy the videos...

He does but would he be classed as the greatest to lace up a boot? Not sure.

But in terms of that particular World Cup-he defined mercurial genius:)

All updated' date=' including the votes for Garrincha, Zico and .......Heskey.

Just a note, you don't have to vote for 10 just to make up the numbers, but you are limited to 10.[/quote']

A bit too late there mate..:)

love the votes for Pires and Stevie G :)

A bit too late there mate..:)

Other people have nominated less than 10 without a personal invite - what am I - your mother! :D;)

Alove the votes for Pires and Stevie G :)

I know' date=' theres some classic single nominatiosn on there - and some more worryingly climbing up the table!

At present the "actual" top ten would look something like this:-

[b']Pele

Maradona

Zidane

Cruyff[/b]

Messi

Ronaldo

Beckenbauer

Best

Maldini

Henry

Which is surprising I think based on who's in there (Henry for instance) as much as for who isnt

But the "winner" would most likely come from that top 4 at present.

Other people have nominated less than 10 without a personal invite - what am I - your mother! :D;)
Alove the votes for Pires and Stevie G :)

I know' date=' theres some classic single nominatiosn on there - and some more worryingly climbing up the table!

Which is surprising I think based on who's in there (Henry for instance) as much as for who isnt

.[/quote']

MAMA!!!!!!!!:D

funnyadsmothers1.jpg

Could be worst -Bendtner could get nominated and win this...:o

MAMA!!!!!!!!:D

funnyadsmothers1.jpg

Could be worst -Bendtner could get nominated and win this...:o

And you were a nightmare to feed - i'll never go natural again, bottke feeds from here on in. Seriously my chapel hat pegs look like old tires since youve been on them!

Bendtner - the countdown to victory starts here!

And you were a nightmare to feed - i'll never go natural again' date='[/b'] bottke feeds from here on in. Seriously my chapel hat pegs look like old tires since youve been on them!

Bendtner - the countdown to victory starts here!

It hasn't been easy on me either..must be all that *aftermarket* silicone upgrades you been spending the milk money on :D

30169448t.png

Lets hope not..might be Best tbh...but Martin O' Neil would be a legend if he gets that great Dane going...in between chasing cars..