Sign in to follow this  
EdMoses

The Greatest - Nominations Thread

Re: The Greatest - Nominations Thread

I have many' date=' but unfortunately most ( nearly all) are deemed as unacceptable to wider society :([/color']

The sign of a brilliant idea is knowing when its ripe to pollinate fertile soil.

So write it down and when the time is ripe...your legacy will arise B)

The sign of a brilliant idea is knowing when its ripe to pollinate fertile soil.

So write it down and when the time is ripe...your legacy will arise B)

hmm ?? and hide deep in a forest somewhere?. Where it will lie in wait until a group of annoying teenagers on a camping trip or an archaeological expedition' date=' find it and after taking back to their camp, that night indulge in drunken ( semi naked ) horseplay, where they unknowingly unleash my incantations on an unsuspecting world?..[/color']

hmm ?? and hide deep in a forest somewhere?. Where it will lie in wait until a group of annoying teenagers on a camping trip or an archaeological expedition' date=' find it and after taking back to their camp, that night indulge in drunken ( semi naked ) horseplay, where they unknowingly unleash my incantations on an unsuspecting world?..[/color']

Yup as you reach from beyond the grave..

You been spending too much time watching those alternative classic movies mate ..

see what happens when Mommy step's into the kitchen for a minute? Look at the mess you two have made now. Wait til your fathers (I was never a shy lady ;)) gets home.

I did actually try and put together an ultimate 11 a while back but gave up as a few notable positions - mostly the more attacking roles became so top heavy, a case of who do you leave out.

I will come back to it though so keep an eye out.

1. Platini

2. Gaetano Scirea

3. Antonio Conte

4. Pavel Nedved

5. George Weah

6. Alessandro Del Piero

7. Alessio Tacchinardi

8. Andrea Pirlo

9. Zidane

10. Gigi Buffon

Added the nominations mate - unbelievably that the first vote for Weah!

So many players amazing players that haven’t really shown or at all in some cases:-

Lothar Matteus

Ruminegge

Papin

Boniek

Romario

Baggio

Sanchez

Fontaine

Finney

Rossi

Mueller

Laudrup

Rivelino

Breitner

Baresi

Charles

Could go on and on, gets you thinking about some of the absolute world class talent theres been – in a way it makes the likes of Pele, Maradona etc all the more special.

Added the nominations mate - unbelievably that the first vote for Weah!

So many players amazing players that haven’t really shown or at all in some cases:-

Lothar Matteus

Ruminegge

Papin

Boniek

Romario

Baggio

Sanchez

Fontaine

Finney

Rossi

Mueller

Laudrup

Rivelino

Breitner

Baresi

Charles

Could go on and on' date=' gets you thinking about some of the absolute world class talent theres been – in a way it makes the likes of Pele, Maradona etc all the more special.[/quote']

Yeah, big fan of Weah. He come from nowhere and being the best.

And just like you say, there is plenty of top footballers haven't got a vote. Sepp Maier, Lothar Mattheus, Baresi, Laudrup etc.., its amazing player in their generations.

Yeah' date=' big fan of Weah. He come from nowhere and being the best.

And just like you say, there is plenty of top footballers haven't got a vote. Sepp Maier, Lothar Mattheus, Baresi, Laudrup etc.., its amazing player in their generations.[/quote']

Franco Baresi...great shout Ed

I mentioned Baresi, search the first page, beast of a defender ;)

As interesting as these sort of polls (?) are, I always find them a of a contradiction. I mean the greatest player ever, should perhaps read the greatest defender / keeper etc ever ?. Or are we saying that we place more value on say Peles attacking skills than Baresi's defending skills?

As interesting as these sort of polls (?) are' date=' I always find them a of a contradiction. I mean the greatest player ever, should perhaps read the greatest defender / keeper etc ever ?. Or are we saying that we place more value on say Peles attacking skills than Baresi's defending skills? [/color']

Well the beauty of such polls (can you see what i did there?) is that the nomination is down to the individual, so the reason for nomination is as open ended as it needs to be (see the long list of single nominations).

Its all subjective though really - personally I think that the majority of those that tend to vote or nominate in such things will do so based on reputation, name or history - itself based on media (lets face it most of us have not and never will see those highly nominated players actually play in the flesh so what else can we base our opinions on?) To this end, the media being what it is, will always and have always given "more" coverage to those that catch the eye, right the headline or provide more instantly gratifying play - commonly, goals. The more exuberant, flamboyant, unique, skillful or down right outrageous the goal the better. ( On the subject of hyped media, I was watching a game the other night and saw a replay of “some dude” score a goal for “some team” – literally he slid it in from about ten yards as the keeper frantically back peddled – as the co commentator declared it a sensational finish and testament to the players skill. Or watching Pogba go past a no mark defender last night as the commentator says something like "this kid is special, at such a young age to be capable of skill like that". He went past a player, thats it, he didnt triple salco back flip over him, simultaneously giving the guy a wedgie as the ball performed a loop de loop round the defnders ankles - does everything have to be the “bestest ever”? It makes me wonder if my kids will end up reflecting on a decent player like Rooney as an all time great thanks to the kind of hype that follows football these days – but back to my point). Hence we will always see a "Pele" ranking higher than a "Maldini", just for example.

However the overall aim of this thread was born of a need to allow people their own choice rather than simply say pick from your Peles, Zidanes and Maradona's - and then to get some chat and banter going. I didn’t want it to be a simple picklist thread.

Overall I think the thread has done well, but would hope that the banter and nominations are still in the early days!

However the overall aim of this thread was born of a need to allow people their own choice rather than simply say pick from your Peles' date=' Zidanes and Maradona's - and then to get some chat and banter going. I didn’t want it to be a simple picklist thread.

Overall I think the thread has done well, but would hope that the banter and nominations are still in the early days![/quote']

Not a criticism Ed, just an observation mate :)

Probably going to miss out a few players that will be really obvious contenders once pointed out...but here goes anyway.

Gordon Banks

Schmeichel

Zidane

Henry

Ronaldo (Brazilian)

Pele

Maradonna

Best

Bobby Moore

Messi

Ronaldinho (In his prime)

Cruyff

Maldini

Giggs

Scholes

Roy Keane

A few of own personal favourites that would make my top ten, just for the fun of it.

David Beckham

Sir Tom Finney

Sir Stanley Matthews

Sir Bobby Charlton

David Nugent (:P:D)

In a loose 3-1-4-2 formation, my top 10 are:

Cafu Thuram Koeman

Deschamps

Figo Baggio Matthaus Rivaldo

Romario Stoichkov

Only based on guys from around 1985-onwards as that's when I first remember, which rules out Pele etc.

Maradona had one good WC out of 4, Messi for me needs to do it internationally as well as domestic/ europe (like all my choices did) and isn't as strong as Figo or Rivaldo, and Baggio at his best just edges Zidane on to the bench :eek::)

Sigh,, im the only one who vote for The Great Gaetano Scirea. Personally, i think he is the best role-model of fair play in football.

He made his name there as one of the best and most respected defenders in the world game through more

than a decade. He was a

gentleman on and off the

field and never got sent off or suspended in his long career, much thanks to his ability to read the game. He won every possible honour with Juve including

all three European Cups and seven “Scudettos” (Italian Serie A titles). Scirea also played at

the same high level for

Italy in three World Cups.

The first in 1978 where he and Italy beat eventual winners Argentina in the first round, but had to settle for fourth place having lost to Brazil in the bronzematch.

Gaetano experienced a

wonderful summer in

1982. Spain hosted the

World Cup and Italy won

having struggled a lot early on drawing all three first round games to Poland, Peru and Cameroon. Then followed four straight wins over defending champions Argentina, the favourites Brazil, Poland and then West Germany in the final.

Scirea set up Tardelli’s goal in the final and his presence in defence was invaluable.