Sign in to follow this  
liamgriff

Too many players!

Re: Too many players!

I know it's a pessimistic view but whenever I'm unsure about a player I always assume he wont make it big.

Quite simply because most players with big potential dont make it big otherwise the game would be full of 95 rated players :P

It's not his age that concerns me really it's his actual ability. Im not too sure about Ian Wright tbh and he may well be the exception but statistically more players fail to fulfill potential then those who do.

So it is safer to assumer McClean will not go over 90 because lots of things need to happen in order for him to do this

1) He needs to first play regularly for Sunderland

2) He needs to consitantly perform well for Sunderland.

3) He needs to be the outstanding performer at Sunderland (bear in mind Gyan was outstanding for them and never hit 90)

4) He then needs to move to Arsenal' date=' Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd, Tottenham etc a bigger club.

5) He needs to perform well at the bigger club (Charlie Adam now at Liverpool was outstanding at Blackpool and yet still not 90+)

6) Then he'll get 90

I think that he can definitely get past point 1 :)

Point 2 he may well be able to do.

Point 3 well that is a very big ask. Let me point out Seb Larrson also at Sunderland much better wide midfielder still not 90.

IMO he is more likely to get stuck inbetween points 2-4 then anything else which limits his rating meaning his long term potential isnt that great meaning he wont be good enough for this guys first team at any point meaning there is no point keeping him.[/quote']

Again i understand what you are saying and i am aware how the ratings system works, but the point i am trying to make (which i am sure i did in an earlier post) is doubting his "actual ability" when he has not a lot of game time to warrant such a decision. However i definitely agree with you that it is better to air on the side of caution. I also did state i also did not think he would hit 90 at Sunderland, however play well prove himself and he can put his face in the shop window.

Again i understand what you are saying and i am aware how the ratings system works' date=' but the point i am trying to make (which i am sure i did in an earlier post) is doubting his "actual ability" when he has not a lot of game time to warrant such a decision. However i definitely agree with you that it is better to air on the side of caution. I also did state i also did not think he would hit 90 at Sunderland, however play well prove himself and he can put his face in the shop window.[/quote']

I know you know how the rating system works but I wanted to show why I dont think he will reach high ratings despite it being early to suggest his potential and actual ability.

Because he has to go though those stages and HAS to move to reach ratings I dont believe he ever will. I know you said you didnt think he'd hit 90 at Sunderland I wasnt saying you thought that. What I was saying however is that I dont feel he will get past the big player for Sunderland stage as I think there are so many much better prospects in England alone who will take the places at the top top clubs in England and I dont think McClean will be one of them even though it's early on.

Anyway I think we both understand each others point now which is good I agree its probably too early to tell but from what littles been shown he looks like he'll be around 86-88 for me :).

Cheers for the discussion though nice to have an actual discussion on the forum :)

I know you know how the rating system works but I wanted to show why I dont think he will reach high ratings despite it being early to suggest his potential and actual ability.

Because he has to go though those stages and HAS to move to reach ratings I dont believe he ever will. I know you said you didnt think he'd hit 90 at Sunderland I wasnt saying you thought that. What I was saying however is that I dont feel he will get past the big player for Sunderland stage as I think there are so many much better prospects in England alone who will take the places at the top top clubs in England and I dont think McClean will be one of them even though it's early on.

Anyway I think we both understand each others point now which is good I agree its probably too early to tell but from what littles been shown he looks like he'll be around 86-88 for me :).

Cheers for the discussion though nice to have an actual discussion on the forum :)

No problems mate as i say i am going off other peoples opinions who have watched him regularly, so my judgement would be more based on how things go by maybe end of next season, once he has:

A) More games

B) Established himself in the side (if he does at all)

Then i can safely say what i think the future holds for him, i have seen less talented players than him in his position do well (milner springs to mind) but then that's my opinion. I may get slated for my Milner comment but he is never a winger, he was a poor forward at leeds converted to a winger but that's another topic lol :D

So erm intresting read lol!

So who can i definatley get rid of? one who wont even reach the 88/89 ratings, because remember ill still need a 2nd team for cup games and to cover injuries so a few 87/88/89 rated players will be ok

I also have alot of CB's, i dont really need that many, i should probably sell 1 or 2 of the 88 rated CB's

ill probably keep hold of mcclean for now, see how he does at sunderland

players like him that i could possibly wait a bit longer to develop, ill keep, but anyone who isnt worth it ill get rid of :)

Guest nigel.jon

Polo is an ok prospect and looks like he could hi high 80's

but McClean just had a very bright debut I really doubt he would ever get over 90 and in all honesty can you really see him doing it at a club like Sunderland?

McClean-I agree. I do not think he will make it past 90. Good player though. Has done well thus far, at sunderland.

Polo-I respectfully disagree. He is most certainly not "an ok prospect". He is a freakin incredible prospect. But that is just my opinion.