Laurent Koscielny Watch

infernito

Re: Laurent Koscielny Watch

I'm making this thread to discuss all things Koscielny. He's been a revelation for Arsenal for the last year but that fact seems to have been lost on some people. I think it'd be a good be idea to try and make people specifically keep an eye on him.

I am an admirer of his. This season especially. Brilliant yesterday against United but I expected nothing less.

He showed glimpses of brilliance in his early Arsenal career but had too many mistakes in his game, obviously due to adjusting to the Premiership. Since that, he's almost flawless.

I'm making this thread to discuss all things Koscielny. He's been a revelation for Arsenal for the last year but that fact seems to have been lost on some people. I think it'd be a good be idea to try and make people specifically keep an eye on him.

Great idea, great player and the best defender on our team.

Egad!

But then I tried and failed to defend Chamakh and Vela in the Arsenal thread-so I guess no one's perfect -even you.

However back on topic:

Taken from Espn profile:

Strengths: Koscielny is a quick-thinking defender who positions himself well and shows good anticipation of danger. He also has aerial presence despite a lack of height and is a strong tackler.

Weaknesses: He has little experience at the top level and his decision making has been questionable at times; he showed a propensity to give away penalties in 2010-11.

20 games in EPL ' date=' 1 goal , 53 tackles, 56 interceptions,16 fouls ,114 clearances :eek:, 8 times dribbled.

[url']http://www.whoscored.com/Players/30051/Show/Laurent-Koscielny[/url]

Egad!

But then I tried and failed to defend Chamakh and Vela in the Arsenal thread-so I guess no one's perfect -even you.

However back on topic:

Taken from Espn profile:

Strengths: Koscielny is a quick-thinking defender who positions himself well and shows good anticipation of danger. He also has aerial presence despite a lack of height and is a strong tackler.

Weaknesses: He has little experience at the top level and his decision making has been questionable at times; he showed a propensity to give away penalties in 2010-11.

20 games in EPL ' date=' 1 goal , 53 tackles, 56 interceptions,16 fouls ,114 clearances :eek:, 8 times dribbled.

[url']http://www.whoscored.com/Players/30051/Show/Laurent-Koscielny[/url]

Lack of height??? :confused: Kos is 6 ft 1!

I think this thread is made a little too late. We already know Kos is Arsenal's best defender at the moment, or at least those who watches 90% of Arsenal's games. He has upped mountains from his first season, where he was a hero and villain at the same time.

Kos is very fast, one of the fastest CB in Europe.

Makes good passes/vision, one of the best in EPL.

Consistent and not injury prone, rarity in Arsenal.

Header and jumping is average.

Fine reader of the game, pretty good but if he improves more he'll be world class.

Top covering defender, very hard working. He covers areas that belong to his other defensive partners.

Marking and tackling above average in EPL.

Handsome, that's what I thought.

I think this thread is made a little too late. We already know Kos is Arsenal's best defender at the moment' date=' or at least those who watches 90% of Arsenal's games. He has upped mountains from his first season, where he was a hero and villain at the same time.

Kos is very fast, one of the fastest CB in Europe.

Makes good passes/vision, one of the best in EPL.

Consistent and not injury prone, rarity in Arsenal.

Fine reader of the game, pretty good but if he improves more he'll be world class.

Top covering defender, very hard working. He covers areas that belong to his other defensive partners.

Marking and tackling above average in EPL.

Handsome, that's what I thought.[/quote']

Should be at least a 90 by the end of the season imo.

[...]

Fine reader of the game' date=' pretty good but if he improves more he'll be world class.[/quote']

You realize that he had at least during autumn the best percentage of won aerial duels of EPL CB's? That's average header and jumping? Well, perhaps the EPL strikers just are extremely bad in jumping, who knows.

Also, you realize that relatively to other top defenders, like Vidic and Lescott, Kos makes 5-6 times as much interceptions (but only like 1,5 as much as Jagielka, only one contending him) and is dribbled past only half as often. I think that shows some world class game reading. It also shows that Arsenal's midfield defending is extremely bad. Also, I think Koscielny's tackling is pretty flawless. He tackles a lot, and sometimes he makes bad tackles, but I don't think it's because he would be a bad tackler, but more because of him getting to bad positions due to being too aggressive and because of Arsenal's collective defence is pretty rubbish. They have all the defenders in difficult situations quite often.

Ok, seriously, I reckon the world class thing: as long as you play in a club that doesn't play the top stage matches (or only loses them if plays) and you don't get to start for your NT (unless you're Brasilian or Spanish), you're not counted world class, simply because you don't play the world stage. Easy as that. But I'd say that with Koscielny, all the elements are there. One last key factor that performances in lesser games doesn't really tell is how will he do at the reeeally top stage. I think this seems pretty good for Kos as well, because what I have seen - and as I am not an Arsenal fan I haven't really seen Arsenal's "easy" matches (that they tend to lose, it seems) - he is at his best in the hardest and most important matches. At least he has excelled when I've seen him in big matches, and the stats suggest the same. That also suggests that he has all the needed elements to be a world class defender.

• 1 month later...

Bump. I know we didn't go through but what a player this guy is. Reduced Ibrahimovic to a diving' date=' [b']whining wreck[/b].

Wasn't Ibra already that?

"An injured Zlatan is a pretty serious thing for any team.”

“(Guardiola) was staring at me and I lost it. I thought ‘there is my enemy, scratching his bald head!’. I yelled to him: ‘You have no balls!’ and probably worse things than that."

“I added: ‘You are ting yourself because of Jose Mourinho. You can go to hell!’. I was completely mad. I threw a box full of training gear across the room, it crashed to the floor and Pep said nothing, just put stuff back in the box. I’m not violent, but if I were Guardiola I would have been frightened.”

“It was a childhood dream [to play for Barca] and I was walking on air. It started well but then Messi started to talk. He wanted to play in the middle, not on the wing, so the system changed. I was sacrificed.”

“Lionel Messi is awesome. He’s unbelievable, but I don’t really know him. We are totally different. He came to Barça as a 13-year old. He’s raised in that culture and has no problems with that ‘school’ ****. In the team, the play is all around him, pretty naturally actually. He’s brilliant, but now I had arrived [at Barca] and scored more goals than him.”

taken from his autobiography..

I feel robbed I saw the thread title 'Laurent Koscielny Watch' and came in expecting to see like a new Gucci timepiece or something' date='I guess I will just have to try the watch shop.

Good goal by Kos tonight though.[/quote']

Feel robbed no more

special-edition-watches.jpg

Wonder if Chamakh plays in defense..then Kos could be...Nah...