Health & Fitness Thread

After searching through the forum I was shocked to find there are no threads dedicated to this subject.

I'm making the thread for people to discuss their workout routines, running distances, progression and diet and nutrition. People are also welcome to post inspirational videos and articles focusing on the relevant subject.

It can also be a thread for seeking advice on the best ways to achieve particular goals such as losing weight and gaining strength, I'm sure there are people in here willing to give such advice like myself. I know there are specific forums for this sort of stuff, but it'd be nice for our own community to be able to discuss their experiences and ideas.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Health & Fitness Thread You don't want to be dirty bulking which is eating any old rubbish' date=' get on a nice clean diet. Consuming a high amount of calories through good strong foods. Fo

Re: Health & Fitness Thread

Re: Health & Fitness Thread Have been reading plenty from t-nation.com and bodybuilding.com along with checking out guys like leehayward, hodgetwins, bartellfitness etc on youtube. I hate Scott

I'm currently trying to gain weight as I'm looking to start getting back into Rugby next year.

Height: 6'1

Weight 80kg

Just going to post my routines for Chest and Squats.

Chest Routine

Dumbbell Flat Bench

27.5 kg for 10

27.5 for 8

30 for 10

30 for 8

Dumbbell Incline Bench

22 for 10

22 for 8

25 for 10

25 for 8

Pec Fly (Machine Assisted)

70 for 10

70 for 8

61 for 8

Squat Routine

Normal Standing Squat

120kg for 10

140 for 8

150 for 6

Outter Leg Squat

120kg for 10 x3

Inner Leg Squat

120kg for 10 x2

140 for 6

I never used to do the different forms of squat but a regular at my gym showed me them, and once I tried a few sets I could really feel the burn and It's a great way to isolate the different muscles in your thighs.

I used to exercise using my own equipment but I got bored too quickly, was doing around 22.5kg barbell and 7.5kg on each dumbbell when I stopped. I then got a membership card for a gym near me about a year ago but I still haven't gone once yet (:o), never really found the urge to go and didn't see the point. I still don't know whether it's really worth going.

Nice thread mate. I spent last month in the gym when I was on vacation but for 2 days school is starting so I don't have much time now and tbh I don't have much money as well.

I cannot believe that I used to eat almost every day stuffs like chips or drink coca-cola,these two things (and many others) are poison.

Now I am only drinking limunade and juice.

nice thread matey..

use 2 train myself up until having my nipper.. took time out and just cant get back into trainin..

i diet the following.. not the cleanest.. with 1 cheat day a week..

2 x toast..

3 scoop protein..

20g peanut butter..

700ml skimmend milk

80g chicken slice..

4 x toast..

15g red leicester..

1 x yoghurt..

500g chicken breast..

250g rice or 200g pasta day deficit depending..

1 x potato..

170g grapes..

pack snacka jacks..

3 scoop protein..

700ml skimmend milk

2 x toast..

8 egg whites.. 3 yolks..

3 soop protein..

700ml skimmend milk

3-4.5 litre water..

cal count is around 3.8 thousand cals..

training is simple.. i just train compounds..

chest on a tues..

legs thurs..

back sat..

job is manual so i dont bother training arms..

obviously trainin is essential but imo u r wot u eat and that is the key to it all..

Anyone using any proteins?

I heard that without working that you will only destroy your body.

wot wil destroy u?.. protein?..

protein is a food based sup mate.. protein fats carbs are simple macros that r built up towards ur diet..

protein cant cause any damage to u mate.. any normal person should consume a decent protein level 2 carryout a healthy life style..

After searching through the forum I was shocked to find there are no threads dedicated to this subject.

I'm making the thread for people to discuss their workout routines' date=' running distances, progression and diet and nutrition. People are also welcome to post inspirational videos and articles focusing on the relevant subject.

It can also be a thread for seeking advice on the best ways to achieve particular goals such as losing weight and gaining strength, I'm sure there are people in here willing to give such advice like myself. I know there are specific forums for this sort of stuff, but it'd be nice for our own community to be able to discuss their experiences and ideas.[/quote']

great thread. just got back from the gym, just trained back and shoulders :D

wot wil destroy u?.. protein?..

protein is a food based sup mate.. protein fats carbs are simple macros that r built up towards ur diet..

protein cant cause any damage to u mate.. any normal person should consume a decent protein level 2 carryout a healthy life style..

Maybe I mixed it up with steroids..

I just need to los 3 or 4 more kgs. And I hope that I wont be growing more than 3,4 Cms.

I used to exercise using my own equipment but I got bored too quickly' date=' was doing around 22.5kg barbell and 7.5kg on each dumbbell when I stopped. I then got a membership card for a gym near me about a year ago but I still haven't gone once yet (:o), never really found the urge to go and didn't see the point. I still don't know whether it's really worth going.[/quote']

It can be hard to find the motivation if you don't have a goal. A goal can be anything from the vain target of getting a good beach body to lifting a certain weight. Maybe you could start going with a friend have a little gymbuddy to compete with, competition is always good in the gym, and you will always be trying to better eachother, by lifting heavier weights. Also if you play a sport it is alot easier to find the motivation to go to the gym, and it is easier to set goals, that will enhance your performance in a particular sport.

Here's a little article about gym motivation, dunno if it'll be much help but I found it a good read.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topshal.htm

Nice thread mate, I'm training to join the Australian Army, with your squat routine are you using free weights or a leg press? my current routine includes (all sets are the same and follow this guideline (x 10, x 8, x6 (with 2 minutes rest between each set)) 4 days a week

Chest

Bench press/Inclined bench press = 20kg Dumbbells

Incline Fly = 20kg Dumbbells

Pullover = 30kg Dumbbells

Back

Lat Pull down = 56kg (machine assisted)

Seated Row = 56kg (machine assisted)

Kneeling One Arm Row = 30kg Dumbbell

Back Fly = 20kg Dumbbells

Abs

Dumbbell Side bend = 22.5kg Dumbbells

Weighted Crunches = 20kg Dumbbells

Arms

Bicep Curl = 20kg Dumbbells

Hammer Curl = 20kg Dumbbells

Seated Concentration Curl = 20kg Dumbbells

Tricep Extensions = 20kg Dumbbells

Tricep Kickback = 20kg Dumbbells

Shoulder shrug = 20kg Dumbbells

Front raise = 20kg Dumbbells

Lateral raise = 20kg Dumbbells

Shoulder press = 20kg Dumbbells

Legs

Leg Press = 120kg (machine assisted)

Leg Curl = 70kg (machine assisted)

Leg extension = 70g (machine assisted)

Seated Calve Raises = 115kg (machine assisted)

Squats = 40kg Barbell

Lunges = 20kg Dumbbells

Run = 2 kms a day (Mon-Fri) and 4.4 kms on Sat or Sun (1 day rest)

Swim = 1 - 2 hours in Ocean twice a week

Bicycle = 4.4 kms every second morning or afternoon

Anyone using any proteins?

I heard that without working that you will only destroy your body.

Sort of true, you must consume protein to maintain normal body functions but excess protein can't be broken down by your kidneys and can place undue stress on them as such and can lead to kidney stones forming otherwise pretty harmless and since your body can't store protein the excess is usually excreted.

Sort of true' date=' you must consume protein to maintain normal body functions but excess protein can't be broken down by your kidneys and can place undue stress on them as such and can lead to kidney stones forming otherwise pretty harmless and since your body can't store protein the excess is usually excreted.[/quote']

your body can only consume around 40 grams of protein a hour.. 70 plus if your assited with steroids..

anything more than that and your body rejects it immediately.. u will spend hours on end at the loo pooing it out..

excess protein is nothing more than a waste of money imo.. not point pooing out the cash..

never under any circumstances though is a dietry suppliment going to cause u harm.. especially wen its naturally produced and in all forms of food 2 consume..

if your scared of wot a protein powder may do 2 u simply consume enough of it naturally from food sources and u wont need the extra boost which is all protein powder is there 2 do..

your body can only consume around 40 grams of protein a hour.. 70 plus if your assited with steroids..

anything more than that and your body rejects it immediately.. u will spend hours on end at the loo pooing it out..

excess protein is nothing more than a waste of money imo.. not point pooing out the cash..

never under any circumstances though is a dietry suppliment going to cause u harm.. especially wen its naturally produced and in all forms of food 2 consume..

if your scared of wot a protein powder may do 2 u simply consume enough of it naturally from food sources and u wont need the extra boost which is all protein powder is there 2 do..

As I said basically harmless bar the damage it can do to your kidneys. Though I would disagree with this

never under any circumstances though is a dietary supplement going to cause u harm.. especially wen its naturally produced
as it's been scientifically proven that some supplements can cause more harm than good (even natural ones).

Nice thread mate' date=' I'm training to join the Australian Army, with your squat routine are you using free weights or a leg press? my current routine includes (all sets are the same and follow this guideline (x 10, x 8, x6 (with 2 minutes rest between each set)) 4 days a week

[b']Chest[/b]

Bench press/Inclined bench press = 20kg Dumbbells

Incline Fly = 20kg Dumbbells

Pullover = 30kg Dumbbells

Back

Lat Pull down = 56kg (machine assisted)

Seated Row = 56kg (machine assisted)

Kneeling One Arm Row = 30kg Dumbbell

Back Fly = 20kg Dumbbells

Abs

Dumbbell Side bend = 22.5kg Dumbbells

Weighted Crunches = 20kg Dumbbells

Arms

Bicep Curl = 20kg Dumbbells

Hammer Curl = 20kg Dumbbells

Seated Concentration Curl = 20kg Dumbbells

Tricep Extensions = 20kg Dumbbells

Tricep Kickback = 20kg Dumbbells

Shoulder shrug = 20kg Dumbbells

Front raise = 20kg Dumbbells

Lateral raise = 20kg Dumbbells

Shoulder press = 20kg Dumbbells

Legs

Leg Press = 120kg (machine assisted)

Leg Curl = 70kg (machine assisted)

Leg extension = 70g (machine assisted)

Seated Calve Raises = 115kg (machine assisted)

Squats = 40kg Barbell

Lunges = 20kg Dumbbells

Run = 2 kms a day (Mon-Fri) and 4.4 kms on Sat or Sun (1 day rest)

Swim = 1 - 2 hours in Ocean twice a week

Bicycle = 4.4 kms every second morning or afternoon

Very nice routine mate, how long do your workouts take? Do they vary or do you try to hit the same time every workout?

My gym's really tight on safety and a couple of months ago they took the free bar out, so I'm currently using a smith machine. Admittedly I wouldn't be lifting as heavy with a free bar, and I feel I'm not getting as much benefit and gain in strength as I was doing with the free bar.

Just got back from the gym, nice Back and Shoulder workout, followed by a run home which is about one and a half miles. Does anyone use the Nike+ gadget, heard it's quite handy recording runs and distances. But it's quite expensive, so I dunno if it's worth the purchase.

As I said basically harmless bar the damage it can do to your kidneys. Though I would disagree with this as it's been scientifically proven that some supplements can cause more harm than good (even natural ones).

uve completely lost me mate?..

how can protein by harm if that is pritty much the key ingredient to muscle growth.. consuming protein..

u get big in the kitchen mate.. not the gym.. food is fuel..

simplist way is to consume protein 2 pounds of body weight and u have absolotuly no chance of ever putting ur kidneys under any stress as you will be consuming within the requirements of ur bodys capacity..

What's the best way to bulk up?

up calories in food levels runnin on a higher spec in carbs/fats.. potatoes.. red meat.. veg.. evo.. bread etc etc..

best way 2 diet.. lower calories in food levels..

work out how many cals u need to consume to flatline weightwise.. then taper according to where ur aim is mate..

up calories in food levels runnin on a higher spec in carbs/fats.. potatoes.. red meat.. veg.. evo.. bread etc etc..

best way 2 diet.. lower calories in food levels..

work out how many cals u need to consume to flatline weightwise.. then taper according to where ur aim is mate..

Thanks bud! Starting gym soon so was wondering!

I'm pretty much bulking as well before I move onto weights of any such. I'm looking to eat about 2800-3000 calories.. however always seem to be 200 short :o

Peanut butter and banana sandwich tends to be great - both health and high in calories :P

Would like to know whether it is beneficial for a person trying to gain weight to drink 2L water a day.. or drink thick fruit juices instead? or both :/

I'm pretty much bulking as well before I move onto weights of any such. I'm looking to eat about 2800-3000 calories.. however always seem to be 200 short :o

Peanut butter and banana sandwich tends to be great - both health and high in calories :P

Would like to know whether it is beneficial for a person trying to gain weight to drink 2L water a day.. or drink thick fruit juices instead?

milk is amazing mate for weight increase seriously.. smash the milk.. full of protein and carbs and very easy 2 digest..

wen trainin properly i consume a fruit drink whilst training 2 sip on with seperate water.. its 700ml fresh orange.. 10g bcaa.. 10g glutamine.. 10g creatine.. all carbs is juice.. sugars present though but the fresh orange nulls the taste of the bcaa which if any1 has had before it takes bleeding shokin in powder form..

like i said with having my young n i stop trainin properly for a couple of month and just sat back awaiting my little n.. did continue with diet though but just cant seem 2 get back into it at present the actual lifting..

Very nice routine mate' date=' how long do your workouts take? Do they vary or do you try to hit the same time every workout?

My gym's really tight on safety and a couple of months ago they took the free bar out, so I'm currently using a smith machine. Admittedly I wouldn't be lifting as heavy with a free bar, and I feel I'm not getting as much benefit and gain in strength as I was doing with the free bar.

Just got back from the gym, nice Back and Shoulder workout, followed by a run home which is about one and a half miles. Does anyone use the Nike+ gadget, heard it's quite handy recording runs and distances. But it's quite expensive, so I dunno if it's worth the purchase.[/quote']

About 4 hours mate, I have a load of free weights at home as well so do some at the gym (machines and the larger weights) and some at home. I think your right about the smith machine, they seem to restrict the gains compared to free weights but then again so do most gym machines, the advantage of them being able to perfect the form first before trying free weights that way you get maximum benefit with less chance of injury.

What's the best way to bulk up?

You don't want to be dirty bulking which is eating any old rubbish' date=' get on a nice clean diet. Consuming a high amount of calories through good strong foods. For example one of your days could look like this.

[u']Breakfast[/u]

Porridge Oats with Banana, and a few tablespoons of peanut butter.

Lunch

2 brown bread chicken sandwiches with a handful of almonds afterwards.

Dinner

Tuna Pasta, with a desert of Greek yogurt mixed with honey and strawberries.

Snacks

Whey Protein Shake

Fruit

Porridge

Peanut Butter

Toast

I've obviously missed off a few essentials that you could eat on other days such as eggs, veges and pasta.

You need to be going to the gym regulatory to fully benefit going on a bulking diet, and there are certain exercises that will benefit you most. They are as Racky mentioned compound exercises, they are hugely beneficial as they work the whole body.

They are the Squat, Deadlift and Bench. If you implement one of these into each workout you will benefit strength-wise and mass will come alot quicker. They increase muscular activity, so they are great to start off your workout with. I would also say that lifting heavier will help you gain mass quicker, but focus and getting your form right first, these include your posture and positioning. If you are doing an exercise with poor form you won't be getting the full benefit. Start off on weights that are uncomfortable for you but ones that you have under control and then you can gradually get heavier once you've learnt the movements for good form.

Hope this helps buddy.

DrlmLvPFdg8

7X38PCf7kao

deAKhhZLMBA

Next time you guys are debating whether to go the gym watch a few of these videos, they'll have you running down there!! I tend to watch these whenever I need the push to go. Anyone else got any good stuff to watch?

www.gympump.com is a good website, for motivation.