Health & Fitness Thread

Re: Health & Fitness Thread

Just done a bit of research on them.

The consensus is that they give you more energy which makes you work out quicker. So i'm not quite sure they do that much metabolism wise' date=' and they have a few side-effects; one being that you need to workout everyday you take them otherwise you'll struggle getting to sleep.

I'm still tempted to try them out, different supplements work for different people. The worst case scenario is I lose £20![/quote']

It is not so expensive,maybe it is worth buying..If you buy it,can you write your opinion on them,when you start using it.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Health & Fitness Thread You don't want to be dirty bulking which is eating any old rubbish' date=' get on a nice clean diet. Consuming a high amount of calories through good strong foods. Fo

Re: Health & Fitness Thread Have been reading plenty from t-nation.com and bodybuilding.com along with checking out guys like leehayward, hodgetwins, bartellfitness etc on youtube. I hate Scott

Yeah of course mate.

Hows your training going?

Not bad,but I stopped recently,gym is pretty small and it works only a couple of hours per day because it is summer,but I might continue on winter.

But I am still using Whey (Gaspari,MyoFusion),but I don't have much left,maybe just for couple more days,then I am probably going to buy a Gold standard,I found good place here in Sarajevo with proteins. :P

Yours?

Just done a bit of research on them.

The consensus is that they give you more energy which makes you work out quicker. So i'm not quite sure they do that much metabolism wise' date=' and they have a few side-effects; one being that you need to workout everyday you take them otherwise you'll struggle getting to sleep.

I'm still tempted to try them out, different supplements work for different people. The worst case scenario is I lose £20![/quote']

Don't waste your money mate. Yes they may give you more energy, largely due to the fact they have shedloads of caffeine in them. Save yourself a few quid & buy coffee instead. I do my cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach & no matter how tired I am, 2 heaped spoons of coffee & I'm ready for anything.

If you want to burn fat, do more cardio & eat better. I'm currently 3 weeks into a very limited carb diet & as normal when I do this diet, see results (physically & mentally).

Any of you guys use MyProtein at all? I used to be a heavy Reflex user because their flavours are lush, but you can get twice as much for your money with MyProtein. Currently using their unflavoured stuff (higher protein content than the flavoured stuff).

Good thread this, well into my training.

Don't waste your money mate. Yes they may give you more energy' date=' largely due to the fact they have shedloads of caffeine in them. Save yourself a few quid & buy coffee instead. I do my cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach & no matter how tired I am, 2 heaped spoons of coffee & I'm ready for anything.[/quote']

Yeah decided against it in the end. Found a forum the other day and there was alot of people saying they hadn't noticed any change or lost any weight from the burners.

I'm not looking to actually lose weight, just burn fat. I've lost alot of fat in the past month and a half but I've found you gradually reach a point where it's alot harder to burn fat. I'm at the point where I've got upper abs, but I've just got a bit of stubborn fat around the stomach area. I'm going to carry on the heavy weights training and intensive cardio every other night.

Any of you guys use MyProtein at all?

Used to use it mate but I didn't really like any of the flavours. The last flavour I tried was Summer Fruits and that was hideous. Is Heavy Reflex a weight gainer?

Probably going to buy another tub of Gold Standard, really look forward to taking the shake after the workout it's that nice. The only other supplement which I've enjoyed is MHPs Dark Matter, anyone else tried it out? It's got a very unique texture and flavour, alot different than most.

Not bad' date='but I stopped recently,gym is pretty small and it works only a couple of hours per day because it is summer,but I might continue on winter.

But I am still using Whey (Gaspari,MyoFusion),but I don't have much left,maybe just for couple more days,then I am probably going to buy a Gold standard,I found good place here in Sarajevo with proteins. :P

Yours?[/quote']

Just try and get there in the hours it's open?, or invest in some equipment you can use at home. :P

Yeah it's going well mate, starting to notice gains and my strength is coming along nicely. The Diet is going well also, trying to get my 80grams of protein a day to match my body-weight. My calluses are really starting to annoy me, but I've said in the past that I'd never invest in lifting gloves. Starting to think I should reconsider now though!

What is your current cardio regime? Know what you mean about that last stubborn bit of fat, when I get to that point I start hitting the body with things it doesn't expect.

My housemate is a fitness instructor and he's got me into 3 bar challenges. Basically 3 barbells with enough weight to manage 10 reps of each. Then do each exercise for 10 reps, then 9, then 8, all the way down to 1 rep, without rest. I always make sure my 3 bars are all compound lifts (squats, cleans, deads, bench, pedlams etc) as they work more muscles in 1 go. Takes me about 20mins, after which I'm dripping with sweat, heart close to jumping out of my chest and burnt more fat in a short space of time.

Have a look at the crossfit website too, they do workout of the day which is based around similar theories.

What is your current cardio regime? Know what you mean about that last stubborn bit of fat' date=' when I get to that point I start hitting the body with things it doesn't expect.

My housemate is a fitness instructor and he's got me into 3 bar challenges. Basically 3 barbells with enough weight to manage 10 reps of each. Then do each exercise for 10 reps, then 9, then 8, all the way down to 1 rep, without rest. I always make sure my 3 bars are all compound lifts (squats, cleans, deads, bench, pedlams etc) as they work more muscles in 1 go. Takes me about 20mins, after which I'm dripping with sweat, heart close to jumping out of my chest and burnt more fat in a short space of time.

Have a look at the crossfit website too, they do workout of the day which is based around similar theories.[/quote']

I don't hit cardio in the gym. Normally my week in relation to cardio looks like this;

Monday - 1 hour of football

Wednesday - 1 hour of circuit training (sprints integrated with push ups, sit-ups etc.)

Thursday - 1 hour of football

That's about it and sometimes if I feel like it I'll run to the gym, but that's very rare.

Anyone heard of the Hodgetwins?

If not then you should check them out on Youtube. Very funny guys who offer fitness advice and answer viewers questions. I've spent hours watching their videos and have found many of them to be very useful!

Here's one if anyone's curious to see what I'm talking about!

hCuAJ64miyo

Just had a really poor session, had no energy for it. So I've decided that my next investment is going to be a pre-workout supplement. Was going to go for Jack3d but my bro recommended me to try out Driven Sports' Craze line. Never tried a pre-workout before, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

http://drivensports.co.uk/craze.html

• 2 weeks later...

I play Football almost every day of the week.

Monday' date=' Tuesday & Thursday training.

Wednesday with mates.

Gym on Fridays.

Match on Sat/Sun. Knackers me out :D[/quote']

If that tires you out imagine training for the Crossfit games!

CpzLZsawtPY

I really want to get into this, but it's not easy to get into and Crossfit gyms usually have very expensive memberships fees. :(

Nice mate.

You training for anything particular' date=' or is it just to get back into shape?[/quote']

I'm probably looking to gain some muscle and get a little bigger. Hoping to concentrate on stuff like deadlifts, bench presses, squats and rows :P

I also cook my own meals everyday now lol :o

I'm probably looking to gain some muscle and get a little bigger. Hoping to concentrate on stuff like deadlifts' date=' bench presses, squats and rows :P

I also cook my own meals everyday now lol :o[/quote']

Great stuff, have you been researching any workout routines?

Here's a few routines worth taking a look at;

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-dtp-4-weeks-to-maximum-muscle.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/steve-cook-muscle-building-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html

I normally take a workout from each routine and modify them slightly. Obviously you don't have to follow each routine word for word as that's basically impossible, but if you have a diet and workout similar to any of those you ain't going to be doing much wrong.

Great stuff' date=' have you been researching any workout routines?

Here's a few routines worth taking a look at;

[url']http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-dtp-4-weeks-to-maximum-muscle.html[/url]

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/steve-cook-muscle-building-program.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryan-hughes-muscle-building-program.html

I normally take a workout from each routine and modify them slightly. Obviously you don't have to follow each routine word for word as that's basically impossible, but if you have a diet and workout similar to any of those you ain't going to be doing much wrong.

Have been reading plenty from t-nation.com and bodybuilding.com along with checking out guys like leehayward, hodgetwins, bartellfitness etc on youtube. I hate Scott Herman though.

PS: Might have spell wrongly a few names, not too good at remembering them lol.

I've read routines from Kris Gethin, Tom Venuto and Mark Rippletoe as well haha. Cheers for the links, mate I've seen them and they look quality.

Just wondering are your aims similar to mine? :)

Have been reading plenty from t-nation.com and bodybuilding.com along with checking out guys like leehayward' date=' hodgetwins, bartellfitness etc on youtube. I hate Scott Herman though.

PS: Might have spell wrongly a few names, not too good at remembering them lol.

I've read routines from Kris Gethin, Tom Venuto and Mark Rippletoe as well haha. Cheers for the links, mate I've seen them and they look quality.

Just wondering are your aims similar to mine? :)[/quote']

Yeah I started working out around a year ago, but I didn't have the knowledge that I have now and I only started taking it seriously around six months ago and only then have I really started to notice some good gains. I'd put alot of that down to realising how essential a diet is to building a good physique. I was very naive in believing I could eat all the junk I want and if I still went to the gym I could put on a noticeable amount of muscle.

I've only routines from Gethin and Rippletoe; those two are known to give great advice and workouts to aid muscle growth. Hodgetwins are hilarious but the majority of the time they do offer great advice, my favourite quote being, 'Don't let the weight control you, you control the weight'.

I've just ran out of my Gold Standard today and it's time to order something new, going to order a preworkout alongside it also. I'm leaning towards reordering Gold Standard and one of Jack3d or Kraze. I can't decide. :confused:

Yeah I started working out around a year ago' date=' but I didn't have the knowledge that I have now and I only started taking it seriously around six months ago and only then have I really started to notice some good gains. I'd put alot of that down to realising how essential a diet is to building a good physique. I was very naive in believing I could eat all the junk I want and if I still went to the gym I could put on a noticeable amount of muscle.

I've only routines from Gethin and Rippletoe; those two are known to give great advice and workouts to aid muscle growth. Hodgetwins are hilarious but the majority of the time they do offer great advice, my favourite quote being, 'Don't let the weight control you, you control the weight'.

I've just ran out of my Gold Standard today and it's time to order something new, going to order a preworkout alongside it also. I'm leaning towards reordering Gold Standard and one of Jack3d or Kraze. I can't decide. :confused:[/quote']

Cool bro.

I actually first stepped into a gym for the first time in my life about two years ago. But I was extremely lazy and I wasted one year doing useless isolation exercises like endless bicep curls and hammer curls and wondered why I didn't grow bigger. My nutrition was ****, my meals frequency was **** and I only trained once a month. Basically everything was a disaster.

After that failed attempt and two years of reading up and asking around I finally am more well equipped to do things the right way now... E.g. 6/7 meals a day, good fats, adequate protein, good carbs and a good workout split.

Yeahh I watch the twins mainly for the comedy aspect that they manage to incorporate into the educational videos lol.

I'm currently supporting my gym fees and grocery cost myself so I don't purchase any protein supplements or creatine or any other supplements.

Do you think just going by boneless & skinless chicken breasts, thighs (all visible fat trimmed off), eggs, tilapia fillets, tuna and non-fat milk I could see gains? Beef is expensive in Singapore as well so I try to avoid buying that.

Do you think just going by boneless & skinless chicken breasts' date=' thighs (all visible fat trimmed off), eggs, tilapia fillets, tuna and non-fat milk I could see gains? Beef is expensive in Singapore as well so I try to avoid buying that.[/quote']

For sure mate, all you really need is a clean diet with a good amount of protein and enough carbs that ensure you are in a calorific-surplus so your body has enough fuel to help your muscles grow after a good workout.

Supplements just help you get the right stuff in your body easier. For example, I walk home from the gym and it normally takes around 20 minutes to get home and then I'd have to prepare a good meal. But with the help of a supplement I can refuel my muscles within seconds of working out at the gym.

For sure mate' date=' all you really need is a clean diet with a good amount of protein and enough carbs that ensure you are in a calorific-surplus so your body has enough fuel to help your muscles grow after a good workout.

Supplements just help you get the right stuff in your body easier. For example, I walk home from the gym and it normally takes around 20 minutes to get home and then I'd have to prepare a good meal. But with the help of a supplement I can refuel my muscles within seconds of working out at the gym.[/quote']

Thanks man, okay I'm aiming for a surplus of around 500 calories. Cool I see, I'll stick with natural foods for now and when I'm more financially able I might perhaps consider getting some supplements :)

One last thing, I'm not exactly very athletic or strong. I'm of average size and weight just looking to get more buff. Despite my modest strength it's still okay to do the "big three compound movements - squats, DL, benchpress" right and slowly build up the weight right? I see most gym beginners (the old me included) skipping the compound movements and wasting their time thinking hours and hours of bicep curls, tricep kickbacks will help pack on the mass when its clearly a common training misconception.