Health & Fitness Thread

Harris 17

Re: Health & Fitness Thread

Hey do you guys have any tips on how to gain alot of weight?

I'm currently borderline underweight so I can't really hit the gym as much as I want to.

Heres my situation:

I eat like a pig and I take protein shakes daily but I still can't seem to properly gain weight.

I have an insanely high metabolism rate which is horrible in my context.

So do you guys know how to help a guy like me with this situation?

Cheers :o

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently borderline underweight so I can't really hit the gym as much as I want to.

Heres my situation:

I eat like a pig and I take protein shakes daily but I still can't seem to properly gain weight.

Well height is a bone development and cell development phenmenon . . . But weight is a connective tissue and bone density phenomenon . . . Its a common misconception that eat fatty diet gives weight . . . I suggest you to eat fruits like banana 20 min after your meal . . . 2 glass milk (buffulo) . . . . Cashew nut and almond shake plus diet rice in carb like rice and wheat . . . Cheers . . Do not forget to keep a modest excerise

Well height is a bone development and cell development phenmenon . . . But weight is a connective tissue and bone density phenomenon . . . Its a common misconception that eat fatty diet gives weight . . . I suggest you to eat fruits like banana 20 min after your meal . . . 2 glass milk (buffulo) . . . . Cashew nut and almond shake plus diet rice in carb like rice and wheat . . . Cheers . . Do not forget to keep a modest excerise

Cheers. Regarding the fruits, correct me If I'm wrong but fruits will speed up the digestive motion and cycle right?

Thus lets say I eat 3kg worth of food and what not. Then I consume a few bananas which will speed up my digestion and then I'll find myself on the toilet bowl 2 hours after that with most of the 3kg of food down the toilet bowl.

So I'm not too sure about the bananas tho.

Cheers. Regarding the fruits' date=' correct me If I'm wrong but fruits will speed up the digestive motion and cycle right?

Thus lets say I eat 3kg worth of food and what not. Then I consume a few bananas which will speed up my digestion and then I'll find myself on the toilet bowl 2 hours after that with most of the 3kg of food down the toilet bowl.

So I'm not too sure about the bananas tho.[/quote']

you are correct but your view is wrong . . . Speed up digestion means faster absorbtion of the food you eat . . . So the bowl moment that you refer would not waste the food you . . . You will get whatever nutrition is there in the food . . .the bowls are undigestable stuff . . . So dnt worry

you are correct but your view is wrong . . . Speed up digestion means faster absorbtion of the food you eat . . . So the bowl moment that you refer would not waste the food you . . . You will get whatever nutrition is there in the food . . .the bowls are undigestable stuff . . . So dnt worry

Ohoho I see. Thank you for clearing my doubts and I'll try out what you've stated. Cheers. :)

It's been 21 days now that l haven't gone at gym. I got injured in my right leg xD. Let me tell how it happened :P It was the leg day and l was doing it really hard. After l finished the 4 sets of squat l needed more water. l had to go down some stairs to buy it ... but you know after you finish a leg exercise you cannot walk well so l fell from the stairs :D. The doc said l had something in my right leg and l wouldnt be able to go at gym for the next ~2 months.

My question : Will l loose muscular mass during my break ?

What should l eat to not gain fat ?

My fat %: 8%

Heres my situation:

Cut out the protein shakes, waste of your money.

Protein shakes are low in fat and carbs, if you are trying to bulk cut that out.

I guess you dont lift weights so you dont need a post WO protein like whey.

For your normal protein intake eat chicken thighs, butter, lots of fats from peanut butter, olive oil, almonds, walnuts. Load up on carbs like rice, potatoes, drink full cream milk one litre a day...

I don't believe you cant gain weight, you are just not trying enough or eating enough. :)

It's been 21 days now that l haven't gone at gym. I got injured in my right leg xD. Let me tell how it happened :P It was the leg day and l was doing it really hard. After l finished the 4 sets of squat l needed more water. l had to go down some stairs to buy it ... but you know after you finish a leg exercise you cannot walk well so l fell from the stairs :D. The doc said l had something in my right leg and l wouldnt be able to go at gym for the next ~2 months.

My question : Will l loose muscular mass during my break ?

What should l eat to not gain fat ?

My fat %: 8%

If you eat enoguh protein you should keep your muscle mass more or less. I would try taking one gram protein at least per lb bodyweight.

To prevent fat gain you can eat at maintainence level for calories. 1g protein per lb bodyweight, 0.4g fat per lb bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs till your maintainence level.

If you eat enoguh protein you should keep your muscle mass more or less. I would try taking one gram protein at least per lb bodyweight.

To prevent fat gain you can eat at maintainence level for calories. 1g protein per lb bodyweight' date=' 0.4g fat per lb bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs till your maintainence level.[/quote']

It's a habit for me now. Every morning l eat 5 white egg parts and 2 yellow parts + a glass of milk + a banana + a glass of orange. But it's the first break from gym since i started it so l should reduce my food in morning.

Cut out the protein shakes' date=' waste of your money.

Protein shakes are low in fat and carbs, if you are trying to bulk cut that out.

I guess you dont lift weights so you dont need a post WO protein like whey.

For your normal protein intake eat chicken thighs, butter, lots of fats from peanut butter, olive oil, almonds, walnuts. Load up on carbs like rice, potatoes, drink full cream milk one litre a day...

I don't believe you cant gain weight, you are just not trying enough or eating enough. :)[/quote']

Hey Caleb. Since you are in Singapore, have you ever seen a weight gain product called Appeton? Is that any good for me?

Also if I ever go to the gym, which parts of the body should I work on considering my situation? I'm thinking more to thighs and chest/back cos I could probably gain some muscle mass there (specially thighs cos they're full of fat, or at least to my standard) ?

It's a habit for me now. Every morning l eat 5 white egg parts and 2 yellow parts + a glass of milk + a banana + a glass of orange. But it's the first break from gym since i started it so l should reduce my food in morning.

Sounds solid but why dont you eat fruits instead or drinking orange juice? Im not against orange juice as long as its a pure juice extract and not one with added sugars.

Also do you not eat some slow digesting carbs like oats or wholewheat bread? :P

Sounds solid but why dont you eat fruits instead or drinking orange juice? Im not against orange juice as long as its a pure juice extract and not one with added sugars.

Also do you not eat some slow digesting carbs like oats or wholewheat bread? :P

Well when l eat the eggs l add some cheese and also a slice of bread. And who said l dont take carbs ? l love desserts!

Also l dont buy the orange juice, l prepare it myself , sometimes l squeeze(not sure if right word) carrots, apple and stuff.

It's a habit for me now. Every morning l eat 5 white egg parts and 2 yellow parts a glass of milk a banana a glass of orange. But it's the first break from gym since i started it so l should reduce my food in morning.

well cutting breakfast is not a good idea . . . Breakfast provides day long energy and ions . . . What you can do is part your meal into small parts like instead of eat a wholesum lunch part it in gap of 2 hr so that the carb or fat you intake gets used up . . . Plus cut on oils :) for your other que . . . Muscular mass gets reduce if not toned . . . What you can do is do phsyotherapy instead of gym . . . When i got disc herniation . . . I did the same . . .it helps

Hey Caleb. Since you are in Singapore' date=' have you ever seen a weight gain product called Appeton? Is that any good for me?

Also if I ever go to the gym, which parts of the body should I work on considering my situation? I'm thinking more to thighs and chest/back cos I could probably gain some muscle mass (specially thighs cos their full of fat, or at least to my standard) ?[/quote']

I havent heard of it which stores did you see it from? I get my protein from Nutritionpark.com. I'm quite new to bodybuilding but ai read alot prior to starting.

If you want to gain muscle mass I suggest doing stuff like barbell squats, bench press and deadlifts. It's good for overal muscle mass gains rather than exercises like dumbbell bicep curls, tricep kickbacks. :)

well cutting breakfast is not a good idea . . . Breakfast provides day long energy and ions . . . What you can do is part your meal into small parts like instead of eat a wholesum lunch part it in gap of 2 hr so that the carb or fat you intake gets used up . . . Plus cut on oils :) for your other que . . . Muscular mass gets reduce if not toned . . . What you can do is do phsyotherapy instead of gym . . . When i got disc herniation . . . I did the same . . .it helps

Why should oil be cut? The human body needs good fats to function and assuming he eats the RIGHt oil, oils aren't bad? :o

Why should oil be cut? The human body needs good fats to function and assuming he eats the RIGHt oil' date=' oils aren't bad? :o[/quote']

during injuries oils get absorbed at a faster rate due to inflammatory reaction adipose builds up . . . Oil should be stopped . . . But yes fatty oils must be cut till he agains starts gym :)

during injuries oils get absorbed at a faster rate due to inflammatory reaction adipose builds up . . . Oil should be stopped . . . But yes fatty oils must be cut till he agains starts gym :)

I see mate, respect your medical knowldge. :) But from what I know (not an expert though), oils with omega-6 and saturated fats are PRO-inflammatory while monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fats are ANTI-inflammatory?

I see mate' date=' respect your medical knowldge. :) But from what I know (not an expert though), oils with omega-6 and saturated fats are PRO-inflammatory while monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fats are ANTI-inflammatory?[/quote']

actually its a raw line . . . . Omega fats are just binding fats for the inflammtory factors . . . . They are mainly for vasoconstriction and dilation . . . When an injury occure a cell beneath our skin in the adipose layer called mast cells release histamine and heparin which are the inflammatory and anti inflammatory factors . . . These fats are just helper to them . . . But fatty oils are rapid taken as to make the adipose spongy . . . Thats how it works :)

Can anyone recommend a back workout with dumb bells (I don't go to the gm just have dumbbells)? I don't have the best back due to sleeping on my stomach / side curled up for ages with a curved spine...

Pullups are the best exercise, you will have an awesome back in 2-3 months if u train regurarly min3-4 times a week. I'm a huge fan of pullups/pushups, I strongly recommend them to you.

1 arm dumbbell row does a certain muscle in your back.

Riece hit the nail on the head, it's probably one of the most effective moves you can implement in your workout as well. The primary muscle worked is the latisimuss dorsi, otherwise known as your 'lats'. Try it out with a t bar or easy curl bar, it's known to isolate the back more and see which you prefer.

Had a week off due to the gym being closed in the festive period, I feel like a part of me has died inside and I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow. I'm still contemplating what I'm going to work leaning towards legs and shoulders but I guess I'll see what I feel like when I get there!

Ps. I haven't been on for a few days and this thread starts to get active?!?!?! Let's keep it that way fellas! :)

Riece hit the nail on the head' date=' it's probably one of the most effective moves you can implement in your workout as well. The primary muscle worked is the latisimuss dorsi, otherwise known as your 'lats'. Try it out with a t bar or easy curl bar, it's known to isolate the back more and see which you prefer.

Had a week off due to the gym being closed in the festive period, I feel like a part of me has died inside and I can't wait to get back into it tomorrow. I'm still contemplating what I'm going to work leaning towards legs and shoulders but I guess I'll see what I feel like when I get there!

Ps. I haven't been on for a few days and this thread starts to get active?!?!?! Let's keep it that way fellas! :)[/quote']

Only a week ? I can't go at gym for one more month due to my leg injury, this is my first break after a long time :P How should l feel haha ;)

Archived