Van Persie lays it off and Jessica Thomas scores.........

cheekylad68

10 years ago the Perugia chairman attempted to sign Birgit Prinz. Prinz was a German striker who had just scored 7 goals in the World Cup finals as Germany went on to win.

However Prinz was a 'lady';)

Now in this day and age with equality the top of the agenda, we have/are eradicating racism, homophobia etc. But not letting women play with men in the professional game is surely not far around the corner with the equality folk.

The main argument against women playing with men is that men are physically stronger and may feel awkward tackling a bird.

However in this day and age, building up your body is not as difficult for women as it was once deemed to be.

So IF a women could get to the physical level of men whilst having the 'ability' to go with it, could we see the day come where both sexes play for the same team?

How would you feel if you had a women in your team?

Re: Van Persie lays it off and Jessica Thomas scores.........

If the woman were good enough then sure why not. Just so long as quotas don't get introduced elevating women above men who are better at football.

That said, I think the women's game will just improve as opposed to football becoming a mixed sport. I can't think of any mixed team sports really.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think people realise how pysical the mens game is, watching on tv give a false perception of how psyical football is..

i genrally would like to see even the best female player play in the conferce league just to see what wud happen, no disrespect intended.

also if the womans game is too move forward they need to keep their best players..

i don't think it would be benificial for a lady to go into the mens game, too much abuse if bad performence etc etc etc

im not being sexist, put me on the same pitch with the top womans footballers and id look stupit.. its just that the top mens teams are just better/more psysical/more talented etc..

jus look at woman gk's half the time the ball goes over there head from weak shots.. even in world cups.

Be realistic

Maybe im wrong..

Noting more entertaining than watching marta for brasil, that goal against the usa years ago.. fabalous. :D

im being honest if the best female player came to play in even the irish 1st division, i dont think she would cut it.

it would undermine the womans game i feel.

I agree with Shels on this. I hold nothing against women playing football and if one was good enough to play at the highest level I would congratulate her and say good on her, but this is not likely to happen in my lifetime at the current rate of progress and I am only 31!!

I watched some of the recent Womens international tournament and some parts were embarrassing! I believe Japan won the tournament after being big outsiders beating top european teams including the favourites Germany who were a very average side in my opinion.

The pace was slower than I would have expected and their ability seemed to be behind the days of the Mia Hamm USA team which is a fair fews years ago now, from what I saw I would say the standard has gone backwards in the last 10 years although I may be wrong as I don't watch enough to judge.

As I say, if it happens then no problem but unlikely is a massive understatement in my opinion.

The men's game is far advanced than the womens and part of the reason maybe the lopsided development of the game (and female sports in general) with respect to gender.

Thus in my humble view-I cannot see a merging of the two at the current time-maybe in a couple years down the road but there will be greater possibilities in the longer term with respect to the standard 11 v 11 international competitions.

Have the men's game peaked with respect to players physiological limits? I believe we are close to that peak. Is the woman's game at the same point I would like to believe far from it.

With respect to the embarrassing matches -a lot of that is tactical and inability to use one's resources available-taking the same template from the men's game will not provide the same results in the female games.

• 3 weeks later...

The celebrations would be bloody interesting that's for sure. All that dry-humping and the like. Would they get booked for taking their shirts off? They'd go in my black book yes, but that's beside the point. :)

Besides, the Anfield cat showed the problem with having too many ******* on the pitch.