Sign in to follow this  
Ben-SCFC

What squad would you take to the Euro's ?

Re: What squad would you take to the Euro's ?

Douglas can't and won't play for The Netherlands at Euro 2012' date=' and I don't see why the queen will change this.

Meh, Dutch stats don't say much...

Talking about midfielders: how come you guys are excluding Van Bommel?[/quote']

Mainly his age. I wouldn't include him in my starting line-up, and young guys like Strootman and Brama should emerge in this tournament instead imo. In an ideal world I'd take Ruud Van Nistelrooy too, but then again same reasons as for MVB

Mainly his age. I wouldn't include him in my starting line-up' date=' and young guys like Strootman and Brama should emerge in this tournament instead imo. In an ideal world I'd take Ruud Van Nistelrooy too, but then again same reasons as for MVB[/quote']

How does his age matter? We're not discussing a 30 million euros bid for a player, but playing a tournament in the Summer of 2012. Van Bommel is still the best Dutch defensive midfielder, along Nigel de Jong and Strootman. Brama comes not even close to them.

Van Marwijk plays 4-2-3-1, and you included with Huntelaar, Van Persie, Dost en De Jong four strikers. That is way too much. There's no place for Dost, and Van Nistelrooij has no business being in the squad. He's not good enough anymore, the others are better.

How does his age matter? We're not discussing a 30 million euros bid for a player' date=' but playing a tournament in the Summer of 2012. Van Bommel is still the best Dutch defensive midfielder, along Nigel de Jong and Strootman. Brama comes not even close to them.

Van Marwijk plays 4-2-3-1, and you included with Huntelaar, Van Persie, Dost en De Jong four strikers. That is way too much. There's no place for Dost, and Van Nistelrooij has no business being in the squad. He's not good enough anymore, the others are better.[/quote']

Haha.Chill. There is no Van Marwijk's team in here. :P We all are the team head coach for now and I like to play 4-2-4 for my Dutch team. :D

MVB is hot tamper. I don't like that in my team and he is not my son in law. joking!

How does his age matter? We're not discussing a 30 million euros bid for a player' date=' but playing a tournament in the Summer of 2012. Van Bommel is still the best Dutch defensive midfielder, along Nigel de Jong and Strootman. Brama comes not even close to them.

Van Marwijk plays 4-2-3-1, and you included with Huntelaar, Van Persie, Dost en De Jong four strikers. That is way too much. There's no place for Dost, and Van Nistelrooij has no business being in the squad. He's not good enough anymore, the others are better.[/quote']

Ok, you take Van Bommel in your squad instead of Brama. The whole point of this thread is to show who you would take if you was a manager. Not following the pattern which Van Marwijk has set. I'd do things differently if I was him. Simples :)

Nah. He is not good anymore. Usually hot tamper. We already have De Jong for that. And he got his place for the World Cup '10' date='it is just because van Marwijk is his father-in law. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Hot temper is more something from his past; he has grown a lot when it comes to that. And he is no way not good anymore. For Milan he's been excellent, even this season. He's the best defensive midfielder The Netherlands have, so of course he starts and not because of the father son stuff.

And guys, surely you can make your own squads because that's the thread, but if I notice someone calling one bad when he clearly isn't, I got something to say. Okay, I should not have said the Van Marwijk part though.

And guys' date=' surely you can make your own squads because that's the thread, but if I notice someone calling one bad when he clearly isn't, I got something to say.[/quote']

I did not call MVB bad. Far from it. I really respect him as a player. As I said my only motive for not including him is to allow the new generation gain experience. I'm not the Dutch manager though. Van Marwijk will almost certainly include him in the squad. Don't stress ;)

Hot temper is more something from his past; he has grown a lot when it comes to that. And he is no way not good anymore. For Milan he's been excellent' date=' even this season. He's the best defensive midfielder The Netherlands have, so of course he starts and not because of the father son stuff.

And guys, surely you can make your own squads because that's the thread, but if I notice someone calling one bad when he clearly isn't, I got something to say. [b']Okay, I should not have said the Van Marwijk part though.[/b]

Good for you mate. :)

But I still can't decide whether I should use Huntelaar or Ricky Wolfswinkel tho. Both are deadly and good in the air. And hoping that RVP will fit for rest of the tournament. ;)

Good squad' date=' but I've adjusted a few players for you ;)

Douglas isn't eligible to play for the Netherlands[/quote']

And that is the very truth, Sepp Blatter doesn't want to make an exception because the KNVB isn't willing to buy him an extra jet and a vacation in the Burj Dubai :rolleyes:

The Flying Dutchmen

125px-Royal_Netherlands_Football_Association_Logo.svg.png

Het Nederlands Elftal

M.Stekelenburg

Van Der Wiel - Douglas - Heitinga - Pieters

Strootman - Van Bommel

Robben - Sneijder - Afellay

Huntelaar

Full squad

Goalkeepers: - 3

• Marteen Stekelenburg
  • Tim Krul
  • Michel Vorm

Defenders: - 7

• Van Der Wiel
  • Jeffrey Bruma
  • John Heitinga
  • Erik Pieters
  • Joris Mathijsen
  • Vurnon Anita
  • Ron Vlaar

Midfielders: - 9

• Kevin Strootman
  • Wesley Sneijder
  • Arjen Robben
  • Rafael van der Vaart
  • Nigel de Jong
  • Ibrahim Afellay
  • Mark van Bommel
  • Clarence Seedorf
  • Urby Emanuelson

Forwards: - 6

• Robin van Persie
  • Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
  • Ricky Van Wolfswinkel
  • Jeremain Lens
  • Dirk Kuyt
  • Bas Dost

* some of the player maybe absent due to Olympic games.

Hehe, used your layout so didn't have to create my own thing :D:P

Don't really see any reason to change the formation and players used during the qualifiying. Except for the last 2/3 matches (when we were already certain of qualification) the team has performed exceptionally well :)

Germany

da8339a935.jpg

First Team:

Neuer

Lahm - Hummels - Badstuber - Schmelzer

Khedira - Schweinsteiger

Müller - Özil - Schürrle

Gomez

Back-Up Team:

Zieler / Ter Stegen

Höwedes - Boateng - Mertesacker - Aogo

S. Bender - L. Bender

Reus - Kroos - Götze

Podolski

Full squad:

GK:

Neuer, Zieler, ter Stegen

Def:

Lahm, Hummels, Badstuber, Schmelzer, Höwedes, Boateng, Mertesacker, Aogo

Mid:

Khedira, Schweinsteiger, S. Bender, L. Bender, Müller, Özil, Schürrle, Reus, Kroos, Götze

Fwd:

Gomez, Podolski

These would be my players to take. And viewing both teams I wouldn't even mind too much if we had to play only with the back-up team. It's unbelievable how much quality the team has these days. When I remember which players were part of the 2004 Euro squad - you can't even compare the quality of these 2 squads.

However selecting the 23 players was very hard to me. Had to shut some more quality players like Klose or Gündogan off. However I think Löw rather will relinquish an 8th defender and rather take Klose to the Euros. Also I doubt that both Benders will be part of the squad.

FRANCE

fff.jpg

Karim Benzema - Olivier Giroud - Loïc Rémy

Franck Ribéry - Yann M'Vila - Jérémy Ménez

Gaël Clichy - Adil Rami - Laurent Koscielny - Bacary Sagna

Hugo Lloris

(4)

Karim Benzema

Olivier Giroud

Loïc Rémy

Kévin Gameiro

(8)

Franck Ribéry

Jérémy Ménez

Samir Nasri

Mathieu Valbuena

Yohan Cabaye

Yann M'Vila

Hatem Ben Arfa

Moussa Sissoko

(8)

Gaël Clichy

Patrice Evra

Bacary Sagna

Mathieu Debuchy

Adil Rami

Mamadou Sakho

Laurent Koscielny

Philippe Mexes

(3)

Hugo Lloris

Steve Mandanda

Cédric Carrasso

Sweden

Sweden_national_football_team_logo.png

Goalkeepers:

Andreas Isaksson

Johan Wiland

Johan Dahlin

Defenders:

Olof Mellberg

Michael Almebäck

Jonas Olsson

Mikael Antonsson

Martin Olsson

Behrang Safari

Mikael Lustig

Andreas Granqvist

Midfielders:

Kim Källström

Anders Svensson

Pontus Wernbloom

Rasmus Elm

Sebastian Larsson

Christian Wilhelmsson

Jiloan Hamad

Jimmy Durmaz

Fowards:

Zlatan Ibrahimović

Johan Elmander

Ola Toivonen

John Guidetti

Starting XI:

Isaksson

Granqvist - Mellberg - J. Olsson - M. Olsson

Wernbloom - Källström

Larsson - Ibrahimovic - Wilhelmsson

Elmander

I would stick with Isaksson even though he's been quite inconsistent with PSV as he's quite solid with the NT and changing GK's just before the Euro's could be a disaster. Also Wiland hasn't played in 'big' international games.

I would just about include Lustig even though he hasn't played much for Celtic. I can't really think of better RB's.

I think our weakest position is the wingers as we don't have much good wingers (People are saying that Kacaniklić should get picked despite playing a few games for Fulham. I wouldn't pick him). For a start, Elm's been used as a winger and he's not effective. I'd use him as a CM. So Hamad and Durmaz is picked. I wouldn't pick Bajrami as he's out of favour for Twente as he hasn't performed well. Also, Albin Ekdal and Samuel Holmén just about missed out.

Sweden

Sweden_national_football_team_logo.png

Goalkeepers:

Andreas Isaksson

Johan Wiland

Johan Dahlin

Defenders:

Olof Mellberg

Michael Almebäck

Jonas Olsson

Mikael Antonsson

Martin Olsson

Behrang Safari

Mikael Lustig

Andreas Granqvist

Midfielders:

Kim Källström

Anders Svensson

Pontus Wernbloom

Rasmus Elm

Samuel Holmén

Sebastian Larsson

Christian Wilhelmsson

Jiloan Hamad

Jimmy Durmaz

Fowards:

Zlatan Ibrahimović

Johan Elmander

Ola Toivonen

John Guidetti

Mathias Ranégie

Starting XI:

Isaksson

Granqvist - Mellberg - J. Olsson - M. Olsson

Wernbloom - Källström

Larsson - Ibrahimovic - Wilhelmsson

Elmander

I would stick with Isaksson even though he's been quite inconsistent with PSV as he's quite solid with the NT and changing GK's just before the Euro's could be a disaster. Also Wiland hasn't played in 'big' international games.

I would just about include Lustig even though he hasn't played much for Celtic. I can't really think of better RB's.

I think our weakest position is the wingers as we don't have much good wingers (People are saying that Kacaniklić should get picked despite playing a few games for Fulham. I wouldn't pick him). For a start' date=' Elm's been used as a winger and he's not effective. I'd use him as a CM. So Hamad and Durmaz is picked. I wouldn't pick Bajrami as he's out of favour for Twente as he hasn't performed well. Also, Albin Ekdal just about missed out.

I wouldn't pick Gerndt and Hysén, so Ranégie is picked. He's much more effective as a CF. Rosenberg just about missed out.[/center']

You prefer Wernbloom over Elm? Probably woulnd't do that, Elm has been really, really good this season even when Wernbloom was still at AZ.

You prefer Wernbloom over Elm? Probably woulnd't do that' date=' Elm has been really, really good this season even when Wernbloom was still at AZ.[/quote']

Wernbloom's is a better defensive minded midfielder than Elm and also a better tackler. Elm can do the job, but I'd go with Wernbloom.

You prefer Wernbloom over Elm? Probably woulnd't do that' date=' Elm has been really, really good this season even when Wernbloom was still at AZ.[/quote']

I wonder what the use of Elm is with Källström already starting. So I believe it's because the type Källström, place for Elm is taken, and that then Wernbloom is a better fit, just like Elm and Wernbloom were a good fit together at AZ, Källström and Wernbloom are at Sweden. It's because of Wernbloom is defensive the better one of him and Elm, that he is a better partner for Källström.

I wonder what the use of Elm is with Källström already starting. So I believe it's because the type Källström' date=' place for Elm is taken, and that then Wernbloom is a better fit, just like Elm and Wernbloom were a good fit together at AZ, Källström and Wernbloom are at Sweden. It's because of Wernbloom is defensive the better one of him and Elm, that he is a better partner for Källström.[/quote']

Yeah, you've got it. Also, Martin Olsson is much more of a winger than a LB in terms of his playing style, so we need a real anchor man.

Huntelaar

Robben/Afellay - Sneijder - Robben/Afellay

Strootman - Van Bommel

Nigel de Jong - Bouhlarouz - Heitinga - Van der Wiel

Stekelenburg

Reserves: Vorm, Krul; Viergever, Mathijsen, Brouwers, Van Rhijn; Schaars, Emanuelson, Van der Vaart; Kuyt, Van Persie, Luuk de Jong.

Hmm that's true of course' date=' must be me always looking to play as offensive as possible :o:D[/quote']

Most people tend to do. :D

You chose the better player, because Elm was indeed AZ best midfielder. :) Better have one good playmaker and one good fighter, than two good playmakers though. ;)

Huntelaar

Strootman - Van Bommel

Stekelenburg

Reserves: Vorm' date=' Krul; Pieters, Mathijsen, Brouwers, Van Rhijn; Schaars, Emanuelson, Van der Vaart; Kuyt, Van Persie, Luuk de Jong.

[/color']

De Jong at left back? o.O

Also is that Afellay in an ideal world? Cause he's obviously injured at the moment

De Jong at left back? o.O

Also is that Afellay in an ideal world? Cause he's obviously injured at the moment

Afellay is returning, and is expected to be available, but it could be wishful thinking that he can start and be in form, I can't be sure about that.

Nigel de Jong has played as fullback, and even in a 3 man defense, at Ajax. He is a quality player, just like Strootman and Van Bommel are. I rather have them on the pitch than a mediocre leftback. Pieters is a good second choice though.

Huntelaar

Strootman - Van Bommel

Stekelenburg

Reserves: Vorm' date=' Krul; Pieters, Mathijsen, Brouwers, Van Rhijn; Schaars, Emanuelson, Van der Vaart; Kuyt, Van Persie, Luuk de Jong.

[/color']

Van Rhijn is understandable, but Brouwers?! Really?!

Better have one good playmaker and one good fighter' date=' than two good playmakers though. ;)[/quote']

Indeed.

Afellay is returning' date=' and is expected to be available, but it could be wishful thinking that he can start and be in form, I can't be sure about that.

Nigel de Jong has played as fullback, and even in a 3 man defense, at Ajax. He is a quality player, just like Strootman and Van Bommel are. I rather have them on the pitch than a mediocre leftback. Pieters is a good second choice though.[/quote']

I wouldn't take a player who hasn't played all year myself :P It is near impossible to be in good shape for Euros when you haven't played for so long. Perhaps if he was a key man for a lower team like Greece or something. But not for me. De Jong at full back is a weird choice. He'd be beaten by nearly any good winger, and might resort to poor tackles knowing him :D

Van Rhijn is understandable' date=' but Brouwers?! Really?![/quote']

I was not sure about Brouwers. Just a sort of random pick in the thought I wanted one more central defender, but who?

Brouwers have been really good though for Gladbach. I know this since I've been watching Gladbach a lot, and their defenders are solid. So that's why I chose him. More experienced than those younger dudes for the future too. Experience matters to me at the biggest stages.