Aiyegbeni Yakubu

Paul Robinson

Newcastle United Top Players

Yohan Cabaye

Papiss Cissé

Demba Ba

Key Battles

Scott Dann vs Papiss Cissé

It will be interesting to see how the 6ft 2in English defender will deal with Newcastle United's impressive forward. The Senegalese international failed to shine in the African Cup of Nations but attracted previous boss Alan Pardrew because he holds the record of most goals scored by an African player in a single Bundesliga season. He is a strong forward, but is he strong enough to deal with the big English defender?

Morten Gamst Pedersen vs Danny Simpson

The Norwegian is not one of Hammond's favourite players and looks to be heading out of Blackburn this season so he will have something to prove. He has tricks and pace and loves striking free-kicks, so give him an inch of space and you might regret it. He will be up against one of England's promising full backs, Simpson. Danny was a product of Manchester United's youth academy. However united found him surplus to requirements and, after a sixth month loan at Newcastle, the full back decided to stay with the Toon. Full of pace himself, Simpson is more than capable with keeping up with the ageing Pedersen.

Yakubu vs Coloccini

The Yak will have to be on top form if he is to break top defender Coloccini, who is rated very highly by the Blackburn manager. Not only does the Argentine have bags of pace, he also has impeccable vision and can intercept a pass with ease. Due to this, he has earned himself a lot of respect in Division 1 and was voted one of the most reliable defenders in England.

Prediction: Blackburn Rovers 1-3 Newcastle United

Re: The High Rollers - Match Report Thread

POMPEY 2-2 Coventry City (Friendly)

Good result for us, Coventry are decent although it's just a friendly, good time to test formations out

Varney and Benjani the scores with Benjani MOTM !

By tomorrow every Pompey player will have left Fratton Park haha, and the new boys will be in, most of which I have no competition for surprisingly ?

So far so good :D

can we please get rid of this' date=' everything related to the high rollers league will be on the official thread. having more than 1 thread will kill off interest.[/quote']

It does not kill of interest, coming from an experienced member I can tell you it doesn't.

EVERYONE USE THIS THREAD.

Hammond Announces New Captain

_49341466_gettyskysportsmic.jpg

(SKY Sports Interview Josh Hammond before the new season starts)

With the first games of the campaign getting underway in a few hours, SKY Sports caught up with new Blackburn Rovers manager Josh Hammond and found out his view on the upcoming season.

On the strength of the squad…

As you well know, I made a few changes to the club through pre-season and I feel I have strengthened it considerably. It is a well balanced team both offensively and defensively. Pre-season friendly are always great to have as you can then asses where your weaker areas are and work on them thoroughly before the campaign starts to make sure that you cannot get exploited.

Also, I have gone with a mix of experience and youth. I don’t care what anyone says, you will not get anywhere without experience. Look at United over the years, they have had Scholes and Giggs along with Ferdinand, who have been under pressure before and know how to handle it. They can then pass down that experience on to the younger players, which will help them a lot.

My only really problem at the moment is depth. I have heard a lot of other teams are struggling with this as well, which helps me I guess, but I just hope we don’t pick up too many injuries.

On who will captain the side this season…

I have chosen Helton to captain the side this season. He is a goalkeeper with a lot of experience and is a real leader on the pitch. He has won a lot of trophies over the years with Porto, so if we do get in that position, he will be our key player and will have to spread his experience to the younger players.

On your aims for this season…

My main aim this season, of course, is to stay clear of the relegation zone and I believe we have the capability and the players to do this. As you have seen in pre-season, Sulejmani and Pazzini have bonded well and formed a strong attacking partnership. Sulejmani is a young promising player and to have the experience of Pazzini next to him will help him develop more as a player.

On top of this, I would also like a good spell in the cup. If I am absolutely honest, that is probably our best chance of a trophy this season.

On possibly making Europe this season…

I’m not going to lie, it will be extremely hard to accomplish. I don’t want to get our fans hopes up and say yes, of course we will, because it is not that easy. Don’t get me wrong, we will try one hundred per cent to finish as high as we possibly can, but we don’t want to set our sights to high because that will just lead to disappointment..

On the morale around the club…

It is sky high. We are very confident and excited about this new season. The sheets are clean and everyone starts off equal, we all believe that this can be a big season for the club. Before the first game starts we are theoretically top of the table, so at least we can look back at that and smile if all doesn’t go according to plan.

On your first game of the season against Norwich…

It’s not the easiest of starts for us. Norwich have strengthened their squad considerably. Their manager has done a great job and deserves a lot of credit. Our task is made harder by the fact that we are away. Their fans are fantastic and get behind their team at every point possible. Carrow Road is like a fortress and just makes our task that much harder. But don’t worry, we will give one hundred per cent and we will bring the game to them.

Watch the full interview with Josh Hammond on Rovers Player now.

can we please get rid of this' date=' everything related to the high rollers league will be on the official thread. having more than 1 thread will kill off interest.[/quote']

I agree - One thread is much better and easier instead of having to look in numerous places.