NEW Custom Gameworld: Football Legends

evoked87

Re: NEW Custom Gameworld: Football Legends

OMG! How is Cruijff not 99 and Zidane is? Thats just ridiculous!

Was contemplating between a 98 or 99, either is still debatable and open for discussion.

Good thing about Legends is that we already know their history, both club and international level. It wasn't easy to balance between talent and achievements, in addition to different nations, league and era.

Both are exceptional talent, I wouldn't dare say one is better than the other, though it is worth noting that Zidane has won everything there is as a footballer. The decision for 98/99 was close, almost 50-50, but in the end we settled for 98. Of course Johan Cruyff's stat is still open for sensible and honest forum discussions just like with any other players. :)

Was contemplating between a 98 or 99' date=' either is still debatable and open for discussion.

Good thing about Legends is that we already know their history, both club and international level. It wasn't easy to balance between talent and achievements, in addition to different nations, league and era.

Both are exceptional talent, I wouldn't dare say one is better than the other, though it is worth noting that Zidane has won everything there is as a footballer. The decision for 98/99 was close, almost 50-50, but in the end we settled for 98. Of course Johan Cruyff's stat is still open for sensible and honest forum discussions just like with any other players. :)[/quote']

Well imo its not debatable, Cruijff's a 99 or he's not in it (the latter one being impossible of course). There's a reason Cruijff has been chosen as European football player of the 20th century, doubt that'll happen to Zidane ;)

I do believe Cruyff should be a 99. His play style revolutionized the game and his legendary skill speaks for itself. I was looking for the other De boer as well, and Jorge Campos, the Mexican Gk/Fwd. Campos was a unique player, and I think he deserves his place as a legend, not just because of his role as an excellent emergency striker, but also because he was a very skilled goalkeeper despite his apparent height 'disadvantage'. Also, props to the guys who worked on the database because they didn't overlook my countryman, Paulinho Alcantara, The Net Breaker. :))

I do believe Cruyff should be a 99. His play style revolutionized the game and his legendary skill speaks for itself. I was looking for the other De boer as well' date=' and Jorge Campos, the Mexican Gk/Fwd. Campos was a unique player, and I think he deserves his place as a legend, not just because of his role as an excellent emergency striker, but also because he was a very skilled goalkeeper despite his apparent height 'disadvantage'. Also, props to the guys who worked on the database because they didn't overlook my countryman, Paulinho Alcantara, The Net Breaker. :))[/quote']

Updated.

Cruyff gets his 99.

Added more players for Bulgaria and Mexico... of course Jorge Campos is in... GK/Fwd. lol Special one.

Here is a wee bit of help for New Zealand. The players from my time, well, there is only a few I personally would consider legends (for here, worldwide, no! :P).

But they are:

Ryan Nelsen

Wynton Rufer

Harry Ngata

You also got some who I would consider, depending on how many players you want to add:

Shane Smeltz

Simon Elliot

Chris Killen

Ivan Vicelich

Vaughan Coveny

Mark Paston

Jason Batty

Glen Moss

And then you have members of the 1982 World Cup team, which were notable as it was the first time we qualified for the World Cup, but there would be more than these 2:

Ricki Herbert

Steve Sumner

As for ratings, hard to say. Nelsen deserves his current 87, I would say an 88 though. Elliot would be mid 80's, as would Smeltz and Killen. Paston and Moss would be low 80's. Herbert and Sumner I have no idea, as they were before my time. Rufer and Ngata would be up there with Nelsen perhaps.

Hope this helps and I am not completely inaccurate.

Might i suggest that the ages of those still-active legends be adjusted so that their ages would have the same age differences in real life, i.e. Clint Dempsey, who is only a year younger than Landon Donovan, yet Donovan is two years younger than Dempsey in the database. It would improve the experience of having a group of still-active legends in your squad because it would be like they were playing together in their younger years.

I think Lev Yashin deserves a higher rating than 96, probably 98 or 99, as he is considered to be the greatest goalkeeper of the past century, and he has also innovated the playstyle of a keeper since his time, such as starting the trend of punching the ball away if there was no chance of catching it, goalkeeper sweeping, etc. Plus he's saved 150 penalties, which is obviously more than any other keeper in history.

Random shout but Goalkeeper William "Fatty" Foulke...

from wiki:

At the end of the first match in the 1902 Cup Final Foulke protested to the officials that Southampton's equalizing goal should not have been allowed. Foulke left his dressing room unclothed and pursued the referee, Tom Kirkham, who took refuge in a broom cupboard. Foulke had to be stopped by a group of F.A. officials from wrenching the cupboard door from its hinges to reach the hapless referee.In the replay, Sheffield United won 2–1, with Foulke being required to make several saves to keep United in the match. He was also in goal for United when they suffered an FA Cup exit to Second Division Burslem Port Vale in 1898.

He then moved to Chelsea for a fee of £50 and was made club captain. Foulke by now was remarkably temperamental. If he thought his defenders were not trying hard enough, he would walk off the field. Opposing forwards who incurred his displeasure would be picked up and thrown bodily into his goal. He was, however, a great crowd puller, and Chelsea decided to exploit this. To draw even more attention to his size, they placed two small boys behind his goal in an effort to distract the opposition even more. The boys would sometimes run and return the ball when it went out of play, and quite by accident, ball boys came into being. Foulke stayed for just one season before moving to his final club, Bradford City.

Being a Blade a bit more info... In one game the match had to be abandoned as he jumped up to swing on the crossbar and broke it. Towards the end of his career if the game was boring he would regularly go and get a stool to sit on in goal.

Ok, not your typical legend but he is still a legend.

you could add another gk for Wales

Jack Kelsey - GK in World cup '58. The team that held out Pele and Brazil for 70 minutes, and only scored after a defelcted shot by Pele. His first international goal

And one more i can't beleive you missed out...

Sparky!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This feature is supposed to be informative. It’s not a ranking of the greatest players of all time. Nor is it even my opinion as to who are the best players at their respective positions. Rather, this feature looks at players who are considered to be legends, either by soccer experts or by fellow players. So, before anyone gets upset because I omitted someone, or because you’re convinced that [X] was better than the players who are on the list, please keep in mind that these are not rankings.

Best regards

Alexis Allen

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...