PURGATORY - The most volatile landscape in Soccer Manager

Re: PURGATORY - Official Launch May 14th

Just another wee thought on this (and apologies in advance if it's been mentioned already and I've missed it) but with the divisions only having 10 clubs will you be going for a 18 game season or the 36?

36 would technically be the "easier" option as teams will have double the time for players to rise before going up against the heavyweights - although 18 games and just the nine-ish weeks of season 1 would really sort the men from the boys when it comes to preparing for season 2...!? ;)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PURGATORY - Honours Post PURGATORYHONOURS A CLUB BY CLUB LIST OF THE HIGHEST ACHIEVEMENTS OF EACH CURRENT MANAGER IN PURGATORY DECICManager Closer August 14th 2013 - P

Re: PURGATORY - The most volatile landscape in Soccer Manager Thought I might run out a full update on the first round of games that were played on May 20. Might continue this though the season for t

Re: PURGATORY - The most volatile landscape in Soccer Manager Fjolnir capture the signings of Alen Stevanovic, Fraser Fyvie, and Tom Lees:) welcome to Iceland boys:) take a big mad furry hat and get

Just another wee thought on this (and apologies in advance if it's been mentioned already and I've missed it) but with the divisions only having 10 clubs will you be going for a 18 game season or the 36?

36 would technically be the "easier" option as teams will have double the time for players to rise before going up against the heavyweights - although 18 games and just the nine-ish weeks of season 1 would really sort the men from the boys when it comes to preparing for season 2...!? ;)

Good question, Thank you, it's not been asked before.

18 games per season. I also considered this long and hard. And for the exact reason you mentioned, I decided to make it 18 games. I don't want things to be made easy, I want as many as possible of us to fall into Hell before we begin to gain the team strength need to mount an assault on that top spot in Heaven.

I figured it out that if you take the formula Minions > Angels > Mortals in every game in every league, it would take 12 seasons for all the Minions to be in Heaven, all the Mortals to be in Hell and the Angels to be left in Purgatory. To be fair, by 12 season I would like to think at least a few of us would be strong enough to throw a spanner in the works with that formula above, meaning that I hope the Mortals will be able to have the quality in management to stop that from happening. I don't think I need to make it 36 games per season and make it easier than it currently is. It is nicely poised for my liking.

Good question' date=' Thank you, it's not been asked before.

18 games per season. I also considered this long and hard. And for the exact reason you mentioned, I decided to make it 18 games. I don't want things to be made easy, I want as many as possible of us to fall into Hell before we begin to gain the team strength need to mount an assault on that top spot in Heaven.

I figured it out that if you take the formula Minions > Angels > Mortals in every game in every league, it would take 12 seasons for all the Minions to be in Heaven, all the Mortals to be in Hell and the Angels to be left in Purgatory. To be fair, by 12 season I would like to think at least a few of us would be strong enough to throw a spanner in the works with that formula above, meaning that I hope the Mortals will be able to have the quality in management to stop that from happening. I don't think I need to make it 36 games per season and make it easier than it currently is. It is nicely poised for my liking.[/quote']

I think that it will take 4-6 seasons for someone to make a push for the Heaven title and probably win it, if you look at the GBL created by the above Machine , it has took Fleetwood town 3 seasons to go up every division from D4 to D1 and now in the 4th season he is pushing for the title against Manchester United,Man City etc in his first season in that division his team is not that high rated 2x 86, 1 x 84,1x83 and the rest are 82 or less.

There are also 3 teams in Division 2,8 teams in Division 3 from a starting of 20 teams in Division 4 [all other divisions were unmanaged] and that is with a ratings cap of 80 and no buying from unmanaged .

I think that it will take 4-6 seasons for someone to make a push for the Heaven title and probably win it' date=' if you look at the GBL created by the above [i']Machine[/i] , it has took Fleetwood town 3 seasons to go up every division from D4 to D1 and now in the 4th season he is pushing for the title against Manchester United,Man City etc in his first season in that division his team is not that high rated 2x 86, 1 x 84,1x83 and the rest are 82 or less.

There are also 3 teams in Division 2,8 teams in Division 3 from a starting of 20 teams in Division 4 [all other divisions were unmanaged] and that is with a ratings cap of 80 and no buying from unmanaged .

It will be interesting to see! The stage is set, the challenge is on, the applications are being reviewed, the Game World is purchased, Many are ready for battle, only 10 will get to fight in it!

If someone wins Purgatory by Season 6 (or before), that's great for them. They will deserve it. Being the inaugural season, there may be tweaks that need to be made if there's a second installment. I can only really comment on that once I see how things progress. As long as everyone involved enjoys the competition, I'm a happy owner!;)

I think that it will take 4-6 seasons for someone to make a push for the Heaven title and probably win it' date=' if you look at the GBL created by the above [i']Machine[/i] , it has took Fleetwood town 3 seasons to go up every division from D4 to D1 and now in the 4th season he is pushing for the title against Manchester United,Man City etc in his first season in that division his team is not that high rated 2x 86, 1 x 84,1x83 and the rest are 82 or less.

The clever aspect of Purgatory is that once you go to hell you ain't getting out for a loooong time and will doubtless be taking a hammering most weeks.

Season 1 in the GBL we didn't have the spectre of relegation and so could spend what little we had on potential - in this buying potential will still be important but avoiding relegation must be everyone's number 1 priority so there will need to be a balance struck between potential/ risers and solid oldies who'll help ensure survival :D

The clever aspect of Purgatory is that once you go to hell you ain't getting out for a loooong time and will doubtless be taking a hammering most weeks.

Season 1 in the GBL we didn't have the spectre of relegation and so could spend what little we had on potential - in this buying potential will still be important but avoiding relegation must be everyone's number 1 priority so there will need to be a balance struck between potential/ risers and solid oldies who'll help ensure survival :D

I agree, this isn't just the typical start off at the bottom and claw your way up, you need to stay where you are for as long as possible first, knowing that one of you each season will mathematically have to go down. Its 100% Certain! But that person could still end up being the overall winner, they would just loose a lot of games more than the rest, its simply about being the one person to win the overall goal, not who wins the most games. Plus the teams in Purgatory are all VERY weak. The Teams in Heaven and Hell are the strongest 20 teams possible, so the concept has similarities to others, but I tried to give this its own unique spin in a few different ways. It, in my opinion, will be very difficult to get promoted from Purgatory after season 1. With only 1 going up each year, and a new Minion in there each season, as well as a new Angel, both of whom likely to be much better than us Mortals. You have to finish higher than both of them to go up! I'd be very surprised to see someone coming close to winning it just 6 seasons in, but I might be wrong. The only way to know is to see what happens come Monday!

I agree' date=' this isn't just the typical start off at the bottom and claw your way up, you need to stay where you are for as long as possible first, knowing that one of you each season will mathematically have to go down. Its 100% Certain! But that person could still end up being the overall winner, they would just loose a lot of games more than the rest, its simply about being the one person to win the overall goal, not who wins the most games. Plus the teams in Purgatory are all VERY weak. The Teams in Heaven and Hell are the strongest 20 teams possible, so the concept has similarities to others, but I tried to give this its own unique spin in a few different ways. I'd be very surprised to see someone coming close to winning it just 6 seasons in, but I might be wrong. The only way to know is to see what happens come Monday![/quote']

Avoiding relegation is obviously what it will take but the first person to get promoted up a division [Which will happen 1st season ] they will become a giant compared to all others as with the custom set ups the promoted team will get a gate increase to the power of the average of the league they go in to which will be 15,000-25,000 maybe even more so that will bring in mega cash and then even if that club gets relegated first season up they will have invested the cash in potential and decent players so should bounce straight back up in season 2/3 and be able to mount a strong challenge for the title or at least stay up then season 4-6 with the extra investment from the seasons in top flight and risers having a chance to rise they should win the division IMO and by that time there will be a club or two that have started the same process as the first team in season 1.And with no ratings cap or age cap so as soon as you buy 1 oldie high rated you can sell him on 10 weeks later for a massive profit as your chairman will value him like he is a superstar as his rating will be significantly higher than all your other players.

Someone will also make cash from Euro games in probably season 3/4 and that will bring in extra revenue.

And you say the teams are WEAK, the teams in the GBL were no giants either, here is the starting crowd/budget set out for each team.

Prestatyn Town: 1000 (ground capacity) - £190,000 (squad value)

Bangor: 1500 - £170,000

The New Saints: 2000 - £210,000

Airbus: 2100 - £190,000

Montrose : 3292 - £180,000

Albion Rovers: 1249 - £1,580,000

Annan: 3500 - £200,000

East Fife: 2000 - £2,150,000

Dumbarton: 2025 - £1,440,000

Fleetwood: 3663 - £240,000

Tamworth: 4065 - £190,000

Alloa: 3100 - £1,680,000

Llanelli: 3700 - £640,000

Histon: 3800 - £390,000

Newport: 4300 - £230,000

Stenhousemuir: 3776 - £710,000

East Stirling: 3776 - £1,010,000

Ebbsfleet: 5011 - £190,000

Barrow AFC: 4414 - £430,000

Hayes: 4730 - £600,000

I started out with Hayes [Hayes: capacity:4730 -budget:£600,000] and now in season 3 [38 game season] I am in division 2 and have a squad valued at over 200 million and that was with a restriction of No buying players over 80 rated.

Maybe I am wrong but I do believe the Heaven title will be won in 4-6 seasons but even though that still gives 4-6 x [5 months per season]=20-30 months of enjoyment.

Avoiding relegation is obviously what it will take but the first person to get promoted up a division [Which will happen 1st season ] they will become a giant compared to all others as with the custom set ups the promoted team will get a gate increase to the power of the average of the league they go in to which will be 15' date='000-25,000 maybe even more so that will bring in mega cash and then even if that club gets relegated first season up they will have invested the cash in potential and decent players so should bounce straight back up in season 2/3 and be able to mount a strong challenge for the title or at least stay up then season 4-6 with the extra investment from the seasons in top flight and risers having a chance to rise they should win the division IMO and by that time there will be a club or two that have started the same process as the first team in season 1.And with no ratings cap or age cap so as soon as you buy 1 oldie high rated you can sell him on 10 weeks later for a massive profit as your chairman will value him like he is a superstar as his rating will be significantly higher than all your other players.

Someone will also make cash from Euro games in probably season 3/4 and that will bring in extra revenue.

And you say the teams are WEAK, the teams in the GBL were no giants either, here is the starting crowd/budget set out for each team.

Prestatyn Town: 1000 (ground capacity) - £190,000 (squad value)

Bangor: 1500 - £170,000

The New Saints: 2000 - £210,000

Airbus: 2100 - £190,000

Montrose : 3292 - £180,000

Albion Rovers: 1249 - £1,580,000

Annan: 3500 - £200,000

East Fife: 2000 - £2,150,000

Dumbarton: 2025 - £1,440,000

Fleetwood: 3663 - £240,000

Tamworth: 4065 - £190,000

Alloa: 3100 - £1,680,000

Llanelli: 3700 - £640,000

Histon: 3800 - £390,000

Newport: 4300 - £230,000

Stenhousemuir: 3776 - £710,000

East Stirling: 3776 - £1,010,000

Ebbsfleet: 5011 - £190,000

Barrow AFC: 4414 - £430,000

Hayes: 4730 - £600,000

I started out with Hayes [Hayes: capacity:4730 -budget:£600,000'] and now in season 3 [38 game season] I am in division 2 and have a squad valued at over 200 million and that was with a restriction of No buying players over 80 rated.

Maybe I am wrong but I do believe the Heaven title will be won in 4-6 seasons but even though that still gives 4-6 x [5 months per season]=20-30 months of enjoyment.

Wow, you've really analyzed this!! lol. I'm not saying you're wrong. Like I said, we shall see. I really look forward to it. One thing, you are saying the team that goes up will get a stadium increase of 15,000-20,000? That would really happen, from 500-1,100 to 15,000-20,000 from just one promotion? Also the teams we're playing against (Heaven and Hell) are significantly better than the English teams (aside from the English teams that are in it). And Only 1 up and 1 down, it's not going to be easy. I just cannot see it. But i'm very much looking forward to finding out to see who's perception will come to pass!

Wow' date=' you've really analyzed this!! lol. I'm not saying you're wrong. Like I said, we shall see. I really look forward to it. One thing, you are saying the team that goes up will get a stadium increase of 15,000-20,000? That would really happen, from 500-1,100 to 15,000-20,000 from just one promotion? Also the teams we're playing against (Heaven and Hell) are significantly better than the English teams (aside from the English teams that are in it). And Only 1 up and 1 down, it's not going to be easy. I just cannot see it. But i'm very much looking forward to finding out to see who's perception will come to pass![/quote']

The capacity increase is reflected on the division they move into so The bigger the teams in the above division means the bigger the capacity rise.

I also have a sneaky feeling that the person who gets relegated will get a BONUS capacity increase to match the average of the division it is moved to, I am not sure about this as I have not been in a Gameworld that has had the small teams in a division sandwiched by two leagues of Giants but the logic of it leads me to believe that this might happen.

Anyway time will tell, I just thought I would add this in.

The capacity increase is reflected on the division they move into so The bigger the teams in the above division means the bigger the capacity rise.

I also have a sneaky feeling that the person who gets relegated will get a BONUS capacity increase to match the average of the division it is moved to' date=' I am not sure about this as I have not been in a Gameworld that has had the small teams in a division sandwiched by two leagues of Giants but the logic of it leads me to believe that this might happen.

Anyway time will tell, I just thought I would add this in.[/quote']

Well you bring up some very interesting points, and possibilities. Thank you. I really can't wait to find out! The possibility of relegation being a plus is one never even heard of before! That would really be crazy :confused:

Well you bring up some very interesting points' date=' and possibilities. Thank you. I really can't wait to find out! The possibility of relegation being a plus is one never even heard of before! That would really be crazy :confused:[/quote']

Yes that would be strange I am not saying it will happen but there is logic to that maybe being the case but even in the event it does help it would still take a while to get yourself out of that Hell as even with the increased revenue you may be getting from the capacity increase you would still be playing against 9 Giants so will be hard to get out of for a few seasons minimum probably not until at least until a few other small teams have been relegated down from the middle division but if you are gaining cash down there Hell might be the safe place to sit for a few seasons building a pile of cash/risers if there is an increase in capacity when you go down.

It will be interesting to find out if that is the case or not.

I don't suppose that would be the case. As the team isn't generally moving forward. Regardless of what teams are in the division below you will never get a stadium increase when relegated :)

had a read of this..

i created a gameworld in similar style/fashion 2 this which is included in the write up.. B Sides..

basically teams like barca/real/bayern etc as computer and there b/reserve sides managed by humans..

the gameworld saw stadium increases after first promotion 2 top tier of a 2 division lay out.. around 20 thou..

gameworld also saw cash investment of around 20 mill also on promotion..

there was a 80 cap which has now been increased to 82 which managed 2 keep the gameworld in toe and is running perfectly for the gameworld aim (2 make the B side more succesful than the A)..

i rekon theres a chance the 1 promoted and 1 relegated side may recieve both a stadium increase and a cash investment due 2 the huge gulf between managed and unmanaged sides..

even if this is to be the case though it totally gives u an added edge to play for..

i managed atletico madrid b and managed 2 get them promoted.. had the stadium and cash increase then moved on 2 atletico malagueno when they became free who are malaga b side as they were the worst club in the set up and being left behind.. missed out on promotion this season and im the only club 2 hav not gone up.. i majorly need the promo for the extra boosters and it well gives an added edge to play for..

this gameworld is quite simply a race 2 b the first 2 win the league.. im doing the same in my racky vs mutd gameworld which is york vs gateshead just us 2 as human all the other 38 sides computer.. 5 divisions of 8.. top teams from wc format and its awsome.. 3 seasons its took us 2 build sides and weve both just got promo from the 5th ready for season 4.. only moved as fast as this due 2 the reoccurance of top 5 euro league rating reviews again..

even with the add ons sides could end up with the idea is very solid and will only increase gameplay for people involved..

2 many buckle a challenge on here gameworld wise.. 2 many people like new gameworlds but just simply dont have the patience needed for them.. it will still take time 2 complete the gameworld imo althou people will just no doubt sign fabricated rises and go it that way (might b good for the set up if u could try put a block on this aspect imo.. anybody can sign rising nobodies from bermuda n gain a few coins) u would deffo get longer life from the gameworld..

had a read of this..

i created a gameworld in similar style/fashion 2 this which is included in the write up.. B Sides..

basically teams like barca/real/bayern etc as computer and there b/reserve sides managed by humans..

the gameworld saw stadium increases after first promotion 2 top tier of a 2 division lay out.. around 20 thou..

gameworld also saw cash investment of around 20 mill also on promotion..

there was a 80 cap which has now been increased to 82 which managed 2 keep the gameworld in toe and is running perfectly for the gameworld aim (2 make the B side more succesful than the A)..

i rekon theres a chance the 1 promoted and 1 relegated side may recieve both a stadium increase and a cash investment due 2 the huge gulf between managed and unmanaged sides..

even if this is to be the case though it totally gives u an added edge to play for..

i managed atletico madrid b and managed 2 get them promoted.. had the stadium and cash increase then moved on 2 atletico malagueno when they became free who are malaga b side as they were the worst club in the set up and being left behind.. missed out on promotion this season and im the only club 2 hav not gone up.. i majorly need the promo for the extra boosters and it well gives an added edge to play for..

the game is quite simply a race 2 b the first 2 win the league.. im doing the same in my racky vs mutd gameworld which is york vs gateshead just us 2 as human all the other 38 sides computer.. 5 divisions of 8.. top teams from wc format and its awsome.. 3 seasons its took us 2 build sides and weve both just got promo from the 5th ready for season 4.. only moved as fast as this due 2 the reoccurance of top 5 euro league rating reviews again..

even with the add ons sides could end up with the idea is very solid and will only increase gameplay for people involved..

2 many buckle a challenge on here gameworld wise.. 2 many people like new gameworlds but just simply dont have the patience needed for them.. it will still take time 2 complete the gameworld imo althou people will just no doubt sign fabricated rises and go it that way (might b good for the set up if u could try put a block on this aspect imo.. anybody can sign rising nobodies from bermuda n gain a few coins) u would deffo get longer life from the gameworld..

He's talking bout me favourite setup ! <3

I would like to thank everyone who has applied for their interest in Purgatory.

Applying to be a part of Purgatory has now closed. Unfortunately, as you are all aware there are only 10 places to fill, which is only 9 more than myself.

I am currently reviewing the applicants and the 9 chosen will be notified shortly of their acceptance. I MUST receive a response by 2pm (game time) tomorrow for the draw I will be making at that time to assign the Mortals to their teams.

There will also be a select few that will be stand-by/reserves if one of the original choices declines the offer. Or the ridiculous possibility that someone lets me down and resigns at some point before Purgatory reaches it's conclusion. I would also like a response to confirm that you would be willing to be a stand-by.

Apologies to those that didn't make the cut. But with only 9 available places, this was always going to happen. I will keep your interest in mind and hope for the chance to be able to work/compete with you in the future.