Evolution of Football

Stuart H

I found this tweet from Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague very interesting:

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague

It this final encourages teams to defend, thats brilliant for football (that goes in cycles) as new ways of attacking will be created

It poses a couple of big questions that could see a big step taken in the way football is played.

Firstly, is he right? Did Chelsea's game-plan always have a good chance of success in the CL final or were Bayern just unlucky? I personally agree with him. If you look at where Bayern's shots were taken from, Chelsea stifled them well enough to limit them to just one shot in the 6 yard box, which I believe was the one Muller headed home. Otherwise the Bayern players had to shoot from some distance against a top class, in form keeper in Cech, who was outstanding.

_60357694_shotgraphic.jpg

Obviously, Chelsea's tactic relied on them scored at least one and with a striker as good as Drogba, that's a fairly solid assumption IMO. Plus there's how well both teams dealt with set pieces. Bayern had a whopping 20 corners, which the Blues dealt with pretty easily but Chelsea scored from their sole corner of the night. Basically, Chelsea went in with a defensive gameplan and it worked and they aren't the only team to do so. As a City fan I can testify that sides we've struggled against, like Everton, set up very similarly, limiting us to long range efforts and trying to score on the break.

If you accept that Guillem's right, that leads to another question: how do possession teams like Bayern, Barca and City overcome teams that 'park the bus'?

I personally think that the classic CF role will die out. Gomez was very ineffective on Saturday and Messi had to drop very very deep in both semi-final legs. The key element of the game will move to cutting through-balls played through the heavy defence into the path of running wingers or midfielders from deep, not into the feet of a striker who would have to turn through a rook of bodies.

Re: Evolution of Football

I found this tweet from Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague very interesting:

It poses a couple of big questions that could see a big step taken in the way football is played.

Firstly' date=' is he right? Did Chelsea's game-plan always have a good chance of success in the CL final or were Bayern just unlucky? I personally agree with him. If you look at where Bayern's shots were taken from, Chelsea stifled them well enough to limit them to just one shot in the 6 yard box, which I believe was the one Muller headed home. Otherwise the Bayern players had to shoot from some distance against a top class, in form keeper in Cech, who was outstanding.

[center']_60357694_shotgraphic.jpg[/center]

Obviously, Chelsea's tactic relied on them scored at least one and with a striker as good as Drogba, that's a fairly solid assumption IMO. Plus there's how well both teams dealt with set pieces. Bayern had a whopping 20 corners, which the Blues dealt with pretty easily but Chelsea scored from their sole corner of the night. Basically, Chelsea went in with a defensive gameplan and it worked and they aren't the only team to do so. As a City fan I can testify that sides we've struggled against, like Everton, set up very similarly, limiting us to long range efforts and trying to score on the break.

If you accept that Guillem's right, that leads to another question: how do possession teams like Bayern, Barca and City overcome teams that 'park the bus'?

I personally think that the classic CF role will die out. Gomez was very ineffective on Saturday and Messi had to drop very very deep in both semi-final legs. The key element of the game will move to cutting through-balls played through the heavy defence into the path of running wingers or midfielders from deep, not into the feet of a striker who would have to turn through a rook of bodies.

I don't want to see the traditional CF role die out, and I don't think it will go away entirely. But yeah, if teams do keep using the "park the bus" defense, I can see some offensive tactical changes. You can beat a defensive team with a combination of speed and through balls, and being able to get the ball to a forward's feet and letting him work his magic is just another weapon to do so. As for Chelsea's defensive plan, yes, it worked perfectly, but I just don't think that it will change the game completely. Being in a defensive shell does not make you unbeatable.

I don't want to see the traditional CF role die out' date=' and I don't think it will go away entirely. But yeah, if teams do keep using the "park the bus" defense, I can see some offensive tactical changes. You can beat a defensive team with a combination of speed and through balls, and being able to get the ball to a forward's feet and letting him work his magic is just another weapon to do so. As for Chelsea's defensive plan, yes, it worked perfectly, but I just don't think that it will change the game completely. Being in a defensive shell does not make you unbeatable.[/quote']

It'll definitely be a very gradual demise if I'm right. Gomez, the CF who was so stifled against Chelsea, scored 40 goals for Bayern this season so that type of player can still be very effective against weaker defences.

Then there's the factor that if/when a 'park the bus' team concedes, they often need to push on and try and score themselves to restore the balance which would leave more space at the back for an opposition CF to play in.

It'll definitely be a very gradual demise if I'm right. Gomez' date=' the CF who was so stifled against Chelsea, scored 40 goals for Bayern this season so that type of player can still be very effective against weaker defences.

Then there's the factor that if/when a 'park the bus' team concedes, they often need to push on and try and score themselves to restore the balance which would leave more space at the back for an opposition CF to play in.[/quote']

True, it's a push-pull thing. And if change does come, I agree, it will be over time, not instant.

• 2 weeks later...

Or maybe the rise of a new type of CF? Neither Barca or Munich were really willing to cross its from the byline because they had no "Drogba" player to head it in.

Barca with a decent heading striker would have scored bucket loads against us. Gomez was ineffective because he never had time to shoot. There wil always be room in the game for someone like Drogba, Llorente, Carroll, Dzeko etc, because they score goals (apart from Carroll).

I aso don't totally buy the idea that teams like Barca and Bayern are ineffective and need to change all that much. They came across a team that parked the bus, but probably no team in the game could park the bus better than a Chelsea with Miereles, Kalou, Bertrand, Ramires, Mikel, Essien, Lampard in midfield and a top class keeper. Normally when a team defends for so long it is because they are mies behind their opposition, but Chelsea are better than that.

Also, if Chelsea did that again they wouldn't win. It doesn't look lik defensive football is becoming fashionable agains - even we ourselves have bought Hazard, Marin and Hulk for next season.

Or maybe the rise of a new type of CF? Neither Barca or Munich were really willing to cross its from the byline because they had no "Drogba" player to head it in.

Barca with a decent heading striker would have scored bucket loads against us. Gomez was ineffective because he never had time to shoot. There wil always be room in the game for someone like Drogba' date=' Llorente, Carroll, Dzeko etc, because they score goals (apart from Carroll).

I aso don't totally buy the idea that teams like Barca and Bayern are ineffective and need to change all that much. They came across a team that parked the bus, but probably no team in the game could park the bus better than a Chelsea with Miereles, Kalou, Bertrand, Ramires, Mikel, Essien, Lampard in midfield and a top class keeper. Normally when a team defends for so long it is because they are mies behind their opposition, but Chelsea are better than that.

Also, if Chelsea did that again they wouldn't win. It doesn't look lik defensive football is becoming fashionable agains - even we ourselves have bought Hazard, Marin and Hulk for next season.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree with you. Besides, attacking football is beautiful, and I don't think anybody wants to walk away from that!

Those are some impressive signings.

I envy Chelsea for getting Hulk... he is a monster and can score...:P

• 4 weeks later...

If you shift your attention towards Euro .......... though a offensive team Spain used the fake "9" ................ 4-6-0!!!............. The attacking football of the next genration will be based on solid defense and the ability to convert defense into attack ......... You bet me ........ Players like mata, hazard, silva, fabre, kagwa, ozil, muller, busquets , ashley cole (old but effective in both defense and attack) etc are the type of player who are players which will make the attacking fooball of future ............

If you shift your attention towards Euro .......... though a offensive team Spain used the fake "9" ................ 4-6-0!!!............. The attacking football of the next genration will be based on solid defense and the ability to convert defense into attack ......... You bet me ........ Players like mata' date=' hazard, silva, fabre, kagwa, ozil, muller, busquets , ashley cole (old but effective in both defense and attack) etc are the type of player who are players which will make the attacking fooball of future ............[/quote']

Spain's formation was hardly a 4-6-0; it was a fluid 4-3-3 with midfielders in attacking positions.

Agree with the rest though. I think the key will be to hit opponents quickly on the counter as even a passing side like Spain demonstrated in the Euro final.

• 2 months later...

Anyone also starting to think we may see more teams employing a 3 man back defence? I have seen Italian Teams such as Juve, Udinese, and even the Italian NT use it more often.

The problem is that the 3 man defence need to have great communication and know how to work together. An integral aspect of a formation with 3 men is that the 2 wide midfielder/wingbacks/fullbacks need to be hardworking and come back.

Even Cityhas started employing a bit of it this year with Mancini. However, Gasperini failed when he tried to use a 3man defence for Inter Milan :o

• 1 month later...

Thats the evolution in football! The CF has died now and take a look at the Euro winning side of Spain. They din't used striker much. Balotelli is a CF but he also has speed, power and skills. Thats the reason why teams are selling their very known CFs now. See Berbatov, Drogba, Klose..... All sold out due to their lack of pace. No doubt they were all great on scoring goals but its the time of SPEED in football & don't be amazed to see such a formation which do not use CFs or the so called 'centre man' in the coming years.

• 4 weeks later...