rafa1.jpg

Name: Rafael Alexandre Fernandes Ferreira Silva

Nationality: Portugal

Position: Attacking Midfielder / Winger

Foot preference: Right

Height: 170 cm

Weight: 66 kg

Stats:

Youth career: Alverca from 2004 to 2011 and Feirense in 2011/2012.

Feirense:

-2012/2013: 40 games (3131 minutes) and 9 goals

Sporting de Braga:

-2013/2014: 23 games (1593 minutes) and 3 goals.

National Team:

Portugal U-21: 2013/2014 with 4 games (328 minutes) and 1 goal.

Portugal: 2013/2014 first game, 46 minutes.

My opinion:

The new kid from Portugal, the first of the new generation to climb to the top and earn a spot among the 23 that will fly to Brazil to represent the Portuguese flag at the 2014 World Cup.

Portugal new number #15 started to play when he was only 10 in a very small club next to where he was born, Atlético Povoense. Only one year later he went to Alverca, a club that was bigger than it is today, at the time Rafa went to Alverca, the club had just been relegated from the first division but still had a reputation that they used to bring in quality young players like Rafael. After flying through the youth squads of Alverca absorbing all he could to get better and become a real prospect, Rafa went to Feirense, a second division club who saw in him a great potential.

At Feirense all changed for him, he left home as he always played next to where he lived. He also first played as a senior player and straight in the second division. Even if it’s “only” second division, to go from U-19 league to the second division is not an easy transition to do with 19 year of age.

That’s the “hump” that most players have the biggest problem to surpass and when a big percentage of them get lost, this major problem is the reason why B teams were created.

Back to Rafa Silva, in 2012/2013 he made a big season in the second league with Feirense, he only missed 2 games during the entire season and scored 9 goals. After those numbers and some great performances a big hype was created around him and during the summer a transfer was expected. After being link to Sporting and some considering it a done deal, Braga signed him from nowhere, at least that’s what the media reported.

This season at Braga Rafa must have felt a mix of feelings, at first he was under the spotlight, everyone was intrigued to see what he could really do at the highest level but he did not disappoint and proved that his talent was real. Then he hit the highest point of his career when he got called to the Portugal friendly game against Cameroon but that same game could have destroyed the rest of his season. Rafa Silva got injured as he made a muscle tear in his left thigh that left him unavailable for almost 2 months.

During injuries people tend to forget about players and forget how good and influential they really are and that’s what happened to Rafa Silva. In my opinion he deserves the selection to be Portuguese team to the World Cup and I think that selection wouldn’t be a surprise if it wasn’t for the injury. He always played amazing during the season and always looked like one of the best players of the league and that makes him national team caliber.

Rafa is a ball carrier, a player who brings the ball into the opponent half and then creates some spaces for another player to finish. His amazing dribbles and ability to play in very small spaces allow his teammates to get open and have easier situations to score. He is what I call a “facilitator”, a player who uses peripheral vision allied to one of the best playing visions I have seen in young players. He has not the best of shots but he manages to score goals because of his ball control and ability to get over innumerous defenders. He is a very smart player, with enormous passing skills and that makes him a player able to destroy defenses, slicing through the middle.

Yes, the middle, even if he can play at the wing, I don’t think that’s where he is the more effective. In my opinion he has not the speed and acceleration that a winger should have and even if he could use his crossing skills, the playing vision wouldn’t be as required as it is when he plays at the middle.

Now Rafa Silva is off to Brazil, where he will try to get some minutes, even if he is not the most important player of the team. I know that if he is given the opportunity, he will once again, not disappoint. Rafa should have an exciting summer.

kjGNnIPJm48

Re: Portuguese Under-19 players

Great writeup, mate!

You just mentioned Rafa's stats in the league for these 2 seasons, though. :)

Please allow me to give the complete list:

12 / 13:

II Liga - 41 games and 10 goals

Portuguese Cup - 2 games and 1 goal

Portuguese Shield - 4 games, no goals

Played a total of 3693 minutes in that season.

13 / 14:

A total of 36 matches and 9 goals, in all competitions.

Played 2625 minutes, this season.

Great writeup' date=' mate!

You just mentioned Rafa's stats in the league for these 2 seasons, though. :)

Please allow me to give the complete list:

12 / 13:

II Liga - 41 games and 10 goals

Portuguese Cup - 2 games and 1 goal

Portuguese Shield - 4 games, no goals

Played a total of 3693 minutes in that season.

13 / 14:

A total of 36 matches and 9 goals, in all competitions.

Played 2625 minutes, this season.[/quote']

Be my guess ;)

I think Braga could have an exciting team next season and Rafa has to be the difference maker.

Be my guess ;)

I think Braga could have an exciting team next season and Rafa has to be the difference maker.

Thanks, mate! ;)

They better have a good 14 / 15 season! :mad:

This season they were an embarassment.

In 14 / 15, we'll only play national competitions, so we better finish 4th.

Braga's chairman is very competent, but he sells our best players too often and is constantly changing coaches.

Braga won't be able to hold on to Rafa for long, that's for sure. :(

selecaochilefinal.jpg

PORTUGAL 3 - 1 CHILE

After entering the competition with the right foot against Mexico, Portugal knew that they had to win if they wanted to fight for the first place at Toulon.

Portugal played and earned the victory against a stiffer Chile team, they are toughs, really. This Chile team (and the Mexican one too) play super intensive, always attack the ball and give it all at every moment of the game.

For this game, the coach Ilidio Vale made some changes in the line-up and replaced, Cancelo, João Teixeira, Horta and Alexandre Guedes for Fábio Cardoso, Iuri Medeiros, Helder Costa and Sturgeon. Honestly I don't understand the insistence with Tobias Figueiredo, I don't see the potential in him, I don't see any talent, I just see a big body and some athletic abilities. I am maybe being to hard on him but if he was that good, Sporting would have kept him for the B team.

Continuing the critics, in my opinion this is the weakest team of the 3 I have presented, they do not have the individual talent and potential that I see in the U-19 and of course, the U-21 squad. This team has a very defensive game style, always expecting the other team to make a mistake and than capitalizing on the error, and that they have been doing very well.

They also seems unable to have the ball, a style that Portuguese teams have accustomed us, collectively they do not have the pass accuracy that's needed and they prefer to play with strong transitions. The defensive transition is very good and they have been defending at a very high level, stopping every kind o offense. In another hand, the offensive transition is made based on the speed of the forwards and on 1 vs 1 situations but these are the reasons for the lack of ball possession (46% against Chile and 53% against Mexico).

The only player I will talk about today is Helder Costa, the best Portuguese player in the tournament so far along with Bruno Fernandes.

GetPhotoControl.ashx?type=player&id=748254&w=180

Helder made a very good season, played 37 games in the second team and scored 8 goals. It is normal that he arrives at this competition with much more intensity, experience and capacities than the other players that played less during the season, the same could be said for Bruno Fernandes.

In the first game, Helder Costa entered the game when the Mexican team was tired and put all his speed and unpredictability in use. He managed to score a goal and was very important to seal the victory. Against Chile, he was one of those players to do the offensive transition with a lot of speed. He destroyed the defensive left wing of the Chilean defense, passing by midfielders and defenders like it was nothing and scored his second goal at Toulon. Although I find him maybe just one dimensional, as his game is based on his speed, I think he can improve the rest and become a solid player. There is no doubts he will continue to win the 1 vs 1 situations, he will have to improve his decision making and pass accuracy, if he does, he could have a nice future.

Now comes China and Portugal will have to be careful if they want to face France knowing that the draw could give them first place.

ng76C949A6-CFA4-40D7-8A73-E6D813E8AA1D.jpg?type=big

PORTUGAL 4 - 1 CHINA

Portugal faced the Asiatics after two wins against American countries, it was very important to add 3 points to the 6 that Portugal already had earned during the competition. China hadn't been defeated in Toulon this year and came out of 2 spectacular draws, one of them being against the home team, and one of the natural favorites, France.

However Portugal won the game by 4 goals to just 1, even if China's goal is strange, not to say nonexistent. Portugal had a bad start, China brought up a lot of intensity very early in the game, they tried hard to stand strong against a better team, individually. But, after 10 minutes Portugal overcame this pressure and got the offensive transitions they wanted and needed. By the 13 minute Portugal scored the first goal, Cancelo made an amazing pass (way more amazing than his performances at Toulon) and Ricardo Horta so the opportunity to make a lob over the keeper, and scored.

After that it was just the same as it as been at Toulon, lack of ball possession, only 51% against a weaker team like China is. But I have to give credit to China, I said it and will say it again, they are individually much worst than Portugal and maybe worst than all the teams on this group, but they manage to have a great team work, intensity, coordination and tactical rigor. If they always try to learn from us about football and training, we should maybe learn from them too a few other things.

Today I will talk about Ricardo Horta, not only for the 2 goals he scored today but also because of his latest performances in France and during the season.

494116573-ricardo-horta-of-portugal-during-the-toulon-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXvxtZIR2FoAvCUrux2%2F6buQW9QMvRPnpq4vaYFVXxMLy

In the last post I talked about the importance of playing regularly during the season for young players like U-20 are and Ricardo Horta could also be an example of that. This season, and only being 19 years old he played 28 games in the first division adding 6 goals to the numbers. But more important than those numbers, Horta has been under the spotlight, getting his team to a very respectable 7 place and performing very well, even against the big clubs. He is as unpredictable has they come, amazing ball control, dribbles and speed, but he could maybe improve his crossing skills and his left foot shoot and pass.

Because of this season and also what Ricardo has been doing at Toulon, a lot of rumors have been reported (Porto, Benfica, Hannover, Celtic etc...) but all seem to agree in something, that this will be the biggest amount of money that Vitória de Setubal have ever got for a player transfer.

Now Portugal will face France for a spot in the final. If the result is a draw or win, Portugal will have the opportunity to win a competition that they were unable to win since 2003.

Lenny+Nangis+France+v+Portugal+jyEbqYb0E8Bl.jpg

PORTUGAL 1 - 2 FRANCE

Last game of the group stage and the maths were very simple, if Portugal looses they would go to the 3rd and 4th place match, otherwise they would go to the final of the 2014 Toulon Tournament.

Unfortunately Portugal didn't overcome a very strong French side and a very funny ref. France didn't look as impressive as they did against Chile and Mexico, when they destroyed and played the opponent's defense, like the killer whales with their prey, but they showed a very strong collective. France game plan was to be competent in every moment of the game and then the individual talent was used as a spark to make something bigger work.

On the other side, Portugal had some very good moments during the first half and could (or should) have scored but football is cruel and when they look better, they conceded a goal and went to the break loosing. During the second half, it was harder to find spaces in a very cohesive French defense. France defended well and scored the second one with a counter attack, then it was almost game over. Good effort but the Portuguese flaws were too big when they faced a big team with big talent.

About the player that I will be talking very briefly, his name is Claude Gonçalves, he plays at Ajaccio and he deserved to be mentioned for some games now.

claude_gonaalves_portugal_selection_u20_ajaccio.jpeg

Some fun facts about Claude:

I didn't know Claude before Toulon, complete stranger to me, and when I saw him in the line-up in the first game of the tournament, I had a "***? moment" and ask to myself "where is Iuri?" but now I do understand who he is and why he played in almost every game.

Second fun fact about Claude is that I went to Youtube to find some videos of him at Ajaccio, only to know if he had the same role at his club. The truth is that I didn't find any video of him only. And that was the answer to my question, he did with Portugal U-20 what he does with Ajaccio, he is the motor of his team.

Claude is an unselfish player who is able to put some order in the midfield against any team. He is a very simple player, a "pass-first" player, he is not flashy (and that's maybe why he has no youtube video) but he does everything right and at a high pace. Defensively he is the first line of players to put some pressure on the ball carrier and recovers tons of balls. If he isn't able to do so, he will at least he stops the fast break. I don't want to compare him to Moutinho but they have the same roles.

Next game will be for a place on the podium, Portugal - England.

PORTUGAL U-19

festejos.png

Portugal qualified to the EURO U-19 2014 in Hungary after getting through the Elite round in group Greece, Belgium and Wales.

Portugal 3 - 0 Greece

Portugal 3 - 2 Wales

Portugal 3 - 2 Belgium

Unfortunately we didn't have tv broadcast of the games and for that reason I can't really tell what happened during the games. But I would like to mention that Portugal had to overcome a 2 goal deficit against Belgium in a very decisive game.

ngE15C728F-2C72-4081-A4A8-44B224522B51.jpg?type=big

In this mission but also during all Elite round, the player under the spotlight was my beloved André Silva, a player who is a personal favorite and one of the players that I think has the biggest potential. André scored in every 3 games, scoring a total of 4 games. I am happy he is showing me that he has the talent and potential I always saw in him. On another hand André proved me wrong and I don't he will just be a winger anymore, he developed his aerial game and his striker skills, he could become a very good striker if he continues like this. I hope he is a starter next season at Porto B.

I think this team has lots of potential but mainly a very balanced team and that's always good. I was maybe surprised by the lack of minutes that João Palhinha had but I guess it worked. For July I don't know if this will be the team that plays in the Euro but I don't see many changes in sight.

Apart from André you should open your eyes big to watch the following players:

- Marcos Lopes (Manchester City)

- Ivo (FC Porto)

- Rafa ( FC Porto)

- Nuno Santos (SL Benfica)

- Tomás (FC Porto)

Tozé loaned to Estoril, Horta sold to Malaga, Tiago Ferreira to Zulte.

After Ilori to Liverpool, João Mário loan to Vitória de Setubal, Paulo Oliveira to Sporting C.P and Ricardo Pereira to F.C Porto, U-20 Portuguese players continue to be transferred and take important steps in their careers.

ng3433131.jpg

We start with Tozé to Estoril Praia, in a very complicated deal. Basically, Tozé will be loaned to Estoril for 2 seasons, the club will also get 35% of Tozé's economic rights. By the end of the first season, Tozé will only leave Estoril if he returns to Porto or if he gets transferred to a foreign club. In this case, the club from Cascais will receive twice the investment they use to get this loan.

After 2 wonderful seasons with the second squad, Tozé managed to get a lot of hype... and a lot of goals. 28 goals to be exact in just 75 games, those are interesting numbers for an attacking midfielder (even if there are a lot of penalty goals).

Everyone of us who got to like this hard-worker player, are very happy with this transfer. Simply because he will now play in a very strong side, well coached certainly, by José Couceiro. He will also play in the Europa League.

But more important than that, he has the potential to get a ton of minutes. Carlos Eduardo left last season, Carlitos left at the end of the season and Evandro got transferred in the other way, to Porto. For now he has the open doors for a spot as Estoril's new attacking midfielder. Like I said earlier I expect him to play a lot, to show what he can do in the "big" league and to fulfill his potential.

HortaMalaga.jpeg

Now a transfer that I am less exited about, Ricardo Horta will be joining the portuguese "gang" at Malaga. Being the 5th portuguese player to go to the spanish team, it shouldn't be a difficult change for the young winger, but I am still "worried" about his near future.

The only reason for my lack of love for this deal is because I think it's all still very soon. He made a great season, showed tons of skills and an amazing potential, it's normal that he gets a lot of interested clubs. But he only played for one season, I would have liked that he played one more season with Vitória de Setúbal and just be transferred after that. Málaga "only" paid 800k and that's not a big investment for a first division spanish club.

All in all, I think it could be dangerous, he could be placed on the bench for a long time and that would be a threaten to his development. I wish him the best and I would love to be proven wrong.

tiago_ferreira17526a0a_400x225.jpg

Another strange deal from Porto, but a good one for Tiago Ferreira. Porto sold Tiago to Zulte-Waregem for 250k but will maintain 35% of his rights and will also have a 2.5M rebuy clause.

Just like Tozé, the 21 years old defender, Tiago, played for 2 seasons in the second league with Porto B. And now he needs a different challenge, the B helped him a lot but now he needs something more. He will now play in a first division of a foreign club, Tiago will be kicked from his comfort zone and that could be a good thing.

I would consider this opportunity the do or die moment for him, nobody thinks he can become a world class defender but if he wants to become a first division player, he has to show the skills and the potential in the Belgium league.

I hope he does good but I don't expect nothing major for him anymore. Sadly.

Re: Odp: Portuguese Under-19 players

eos11

What do You think about Goncalo Guedes from SLB?

Hey there,

I really like Gonçalo Guedes, he made some great games in the U-19 champions league. He is a dynamic winger, with a lot of speed and great technical skills. Always with the ball close to his foot and the ability to destroy his opponent on 1 vs 1. On another hand, I think it will be important to see what he will do against "adults" in the second league with Benfica B. He still has a long way to go.

Looking forward to the u19s game against Hungary later' date=' have included them in a win double with Dynamo Kiev to win the Ukrainian super cup.[/quote']

Not like it's a sure thing but this team is very, very strong and we have have Marcos Lopes :P

Not like it's a sure thing but this team is very' date=' very strong and we have have Marcos Lopes :P[/quote']

Yeah they haven't been doing much losing, a 3-0 win in teh opener against Isreal who are stronger than Hungary, a current run of twelve wins and a draw over the last thirteen games makes them look a good thing to me.

And there is Lopes, is he playing? :)

Yeah they haven't been doing much losing' date=' a 3-0 win in teh opener against Isreal who are stronger than Hungary, a current run of twelve wins and a draw over the last thirteen games makes them look a good thing to me.

And there is Lopes, is he playing? :)[/quote']

Haven't you seen the goals he scored?

http://www.tvgolo.com/pt/resumo-jogo-1405779583---48

Do you believe in another 3-0 for Portugal? :)

I do believe that football is a very unpredictable game. That being said, Portugal will have a better team, most experienced players and that should be enough to grab an easy win.

I do believe that football is a very unpredictable game. That being said' date=' Portugal will have a better team, most experienced players and that should be enough to grab an easy win.[/quote']

You're right, nothing is ever certain! Let's hope Portugal can put all the arguments in the field and, as you said, can grab an easy win! Thanks!

You're right' date=' nothing is ever certain! Let's hope Portugal can put all the arguments in the field and, as you said, can grab an easy win! Thanks![/quote']

It would be a huge thing for Portugal to win an U-19 Euro, maybe after that we could start looking at our young players from a different perspective.