Moosic! - Sky Blue Lee's Music discussion thread.

Re: Moosic! - Sky Blue Lee's Music discussion thread.

Do we just not like music on this forum or is this thread boring? I quite enjoy reading through this, we need to make more of an effort to keep it alive!

So yeah, I don't know if it's my age or what but my music taste seems to change every couple of weeks. Looking at the post I made on this page a few months ago I realised just how much my taste has changed in the last few months. Go back a year and I'd never even heard of most of the artists I listen to now.

It was around this time last year actually that my love for The Gaslight Anthem, now my favourite band, first started. I heard the title track from their then new album The '59 Sound at Glastonbury and couldn't stop listening to it. A couple of weeks later when I was on holiday in Dubin I bought the album (because I still buy CD's, to hell with this downloading bull!).

It's amazing how one band can broaden your horizons and introduce you to so many artists you'd never heard of before. With The Gaslight Anthem the first case of this was Bruce Springsteen. Around the time I bought the album they were being compared to Bruce a lot and he was referenced to in some of the lyrics. Thus I became quite a big Bruce fan over the last year or so. This continued throughout the year and almost every week I was discovering new music such as; Tom Petty, Big Country, Bob Dylan, Apologies, I Have None, Lucero, Pearl Jam, R.E.M, Rancid, The Smiths, Social Distortion, Twin Atlantic, The Cure, Miles Davis, The Damned, The Hold Steady, Frank Turner, Chuck Ragan, Against Me!, The Clash, The Who, Stiff Little Fingers, Ramones and even The Sex Pistols.

Before I discovered The Gaslight Anthem I would have described my favourite music as pop/rock. My favourite band was Feeder who I still listen to a lot but I have pretty much left all the other stuff behind. Now my favourite genre is clearly punk, but The Gaslight Anthem have also introduced me to Blues, Folk and even a little Country. They've also got me into some awesome singer-songwriters such as Frank Turner, Chuck Ragan and even Brian Fallon of Gaslight himself who ocassionally does acoustic shows.

In other news I recently bought my first piece of vinyl which I have been threatening to do for a while. I bought a second hand copy of The River by Bruce Springsteen on eBay and have been bidding on a lot of other stuff. I still need a turntable though! I've been trying to get a Pro-ject Debut for around £100 but most are sold for a lot more. I'd encourage you to buy vinyl though, the sound quality is considerably better in my opinion as it isn't remastered and what not and I just find the beauty of the whole turntable and sleeve etc. very appealing.

So I'll leave you with a couple of recommendations.

Artist: Apologies, I Have None (Punk)

Album: The National - Boxer (Folk)

Song: Frank Turner - Father's Day (Acoustic)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Moosic! - Sky Blue Lee's Music discussion thread. Christ, how did this thread die? It was really coming together as well! Anyway, I'll bring a point up for discussion. Should bands burn their b

Don't think I'd peg The National as folk really but more importantly Boxer is a fantastic album, good choice.

As for album covers, all I know is if I see another one with a singer/songwriter looking distant and detached on the front then I'm not buying it out of protest, even if I like the music.

Don't think I'd peg The National as folk really but more importantly Boxer is a fantastic album' date=' good choice.

As for album covers, all I know is if I see another one with a singer/songwriter looking distant and detached on the front then I'm not buying it out of protest, even if I like the music.[/quote']

Agreed. I don't like covers with the musicians on them at all. I like to see originality, maybe some eye catching art work or something completely random. If you're going to put the artists on the cover you could at least make it something exciting, right?

Possibly London Calling?

london-calling-clash.jpg

I think Dookie is a really good album cover, eye-catching, engaging, and with lots to see on it. I've got a poster of it somewhere that extends the image and you can see every little detail, reference and in-joke.

dookie.jpg

Somewhere in Time does the same, but better. Everywhere you look there's a reference to the band, their history, their influences, and pop culture in general (well, pop culture circa 1986.)

musicsharing4allblogspotcom_somewhe.jpg

Other good album artworks are those that are just that, works of art.

Iron+Maiden+-+Powerslave.jpg

09.Fear_Of_The_Dark.jpg

red_hot_chili_peppers___blood_sugar_sex_magik_front.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I often pride myself on having a broad taste in music (I take pride in strange things), but I often realise soon after that the number of bands I have in my collection is very limited. This got me thinking: what is it about an artist or band that makes me like them?

Sometimes it's an emotional thing. If I happen to feel a certain way or be in a certain situation then an artist can really lift me up and away if I stumble upon them at that point.

At other times it's down to how much I enjoy the music, simple as.

And at other times it's what I'm after in the song. Technical brilliance, masterful songwriting, atmosphere, mood, fun, or just plain good music.

What about yourselves? What makes you like a band, or has made you get into a band's work?

Song of the day: Feeder - Love Pollution. :)

sJHsgHte3nw

As I don't really listen to mainstream music I thought I'll start becoming a regular poster on here as I feel Lee and my own music tastes are quite similar:),I always thought a music discussion thread was needed and was going to make one myself before I found this link.

I like artists due to their good music and lyrics.

Sometimes I go by their quality sounding voice.

In days gone by when I purchased 7" vinyl records - I always listened to the "B-SIDE" and if the B side was good, I'd go out and buy the album.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to start a new feature, exclusive to this thread, focussing on some of popular music's underrated stars. We'll focus on underrated bassists, guitarists, vocalists, drummers, and songwriters. I'll think of a couple, and everyone is welcome to contribute with their own.

Share the music, spread the love. :)

I'm tempted to start a new feature' date=' exclusive to this thread, focussing on some of popular music's underrated stars. We'll focus on underrated bassists, guitarists, vocalists, drummers, and songwriters. I'll think of a couple, and everyone is welcome to contribute with their own.

Share the music, spread the love. :)[/quote']

Look forward to it Lee,I really can't believe this thread is unpopular as it is to be honest as I really thought people would like to discuss music to be honest.

Look forward to it Lee' date='I really can't believe this thread is unpopular as it is to be honest as I really thought people would like to discuss music to be honest.[/quote']

People are worried that they might have to voice an opinion. What they usually do is wait for someone else to do so and then agree with it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, kicking us off are the underrated bassists. Let's start with Queen's John Deacon, who often had amazing bass lines, be they prog, stadium rock, or disco. Here's my favourite.

zKdxd718WXg

People are worried that they might have to voice an opinion. What they usually do is wait for someone else to do so and then agree with it. :rolleyes:

Anyway' date=' kicking us off are the underrated bassists. Let's start with Queen's [b']John Deacon[/b], who often had amazing bass lines, be they prog, stadium rock, or disco. Here's my favourite.

zKdxd718WXg

That's the problem with most people though as they only follow the mainstream and don't really have much of an opinion on music,a perfect example of this was the song Human from the Killers which everyone slated from the start,I was actually one of a few who said I liked the song and got slated for it,then a couple of weeks later everyone seemed to love it and my mates said they always "liked" it,another thing that grinds my gears about people with music is when you ask them what Music they like and they say "everything" when it clearly isn't the case,I highly doubt anyone likes every single kind of music and when I ask them if they like any Classical music and they say no then you wonder why they said it in the first place,I really wish people would actually say what they liked and not follow the mainstream because there are more bands than ever nowadays,and some good bands don't make it onto the mainstream when they really should be.

I love roots reggae..the traditional style, not that fast rapish stuff. I cant stand todays radio music..dudes soundin like their chokin, girls all sound the same, all the bands..." daddy beat me and now Im a highschool drop out" or " she use to be my girlfriend now shes yours" blah blah blah...puke!

Now that i've explained todays music...I dabble in the country every now and then- George Strait, Dwight Yoakam and the such. Still love the 80s - INXS, Simple Minds, The Cure....when yall get serious...Im gonna add my favorite reggae guitarists and drummers..song writers an such..reggae is heavily underated an no spotlight..

A big problem with a lot of music discussion is it can be quite limited and gets fairly old fairly quickly, especially somewhere like this where there's such a broad range of tastes and interest represented, it can become tough to keep a discussion going. From experience I've posted on a few of music forums where I've slowly drifted away from the music sections into social to the point where I would very rarely check the former.

Apathy from of a lot of posters toward real music discussion also plays a part, mind. There have absolutely been topics worthy of discussion raised in this thread that have gone completely unnoticed. And on a similar note there was a potentially very good thread by Midnight To Six (I think) about a Mixtape idea that sank completely without being given a chance.

Anyway' date=' kicking us off are the underrated bassists. Let's start with Queen's [b']John Deacon[/b], who often had amazing bass lines, be they prog, stadium rock, or disco. Here's my favourite.

zKdxd718WXg

Less well known John Deacon bassline, but better.

MhfzXZZSot0

• 5 months later...

Needs more Deacon. :)

CEjU9KVABao

In fact, this whole post will contain great basslines from great bassists.

Tim Commerford.

rqkMsXcHQYg

Sting.

SaNt9-QkiHI

Noel Redding.

-mBjG9chIFw

John Paul Jones.

Cm2-K6ttHYs

Om_yaVLb32o

LES CLAYPOOL.

EhtPYvT8Mmw

STEVE HARRIS!!!

63gdZAsl62E

(Because nothing says metal like a jazzy bassline to a tune about frigging VIKINGS!!!)

JOHN ENTWISTLE!!! (The Who)

TVl39LBZGMw

(Love the end of the video. "50 million notes at once! How many notes were there supposed to be, John?" John: "One".)

FLEA!!!!!!!

a9eNQZbjpJk

-JgMaY1IbFw&feature=fvst

• 2 months later...

Very nice Lee, but the vast majority seem to be very straightforward picks. I assume that you haven't heard of Jaco Pastorius...?

JXOnhzoC-i8

One of the greatest bassists of all time, and without doubt the greatest jazz bassist of all time. And then we have Cliff Burton, like Jaco he was cut down in his prime, but fortunately there's proof that he walked the earth, like the solo 'Anesthesia -Pulling Teeth':

CXLXfFuKJs4

Then how about Dream Theatre's John Myung?

_yqOA0BMXS0

This thread seriously needs more posts! I can't understand why people won't discuss music on here as it is such a big part of all our lives. Oh well.

While we're discussing bassists. Paul Simonon was probably the least gifted musician of The Clash, but his bass riff in The Guns of Brixton is fantastic!

Enjoy :)

wqcizZebcaU

• 11 months later...

I'm loving all the classics in this thread... Zeppelin, Hendrix, Beatles, Queen, etc. But right now I'm addicted to Modest Mouse, The Shins, Band of Horses, and The Apples in Stereo.

WYDiLJPJ24g

bIRmyfKOAfM&ob=av2e

fBiuQlW9tR4

DyRnzeV2NgU

I sure hope these videos work... if not you guys know how to use Google right;)? Let me know what you think!