Sign in to follow this  
Ben-SCFC

Official Stoke City FC Thread

Re: Official Stoke City FC Thread

200px-Stoke_City_FC.svg.png

NESS TO BE READY FOR START OF THE SEASON !

Stoke are confident they will have Jamie Ness at peak fitness in time for the start of the new premier league season.

Ness has joined up with the Potters after opting to turn his back on financial troubles at Rangers.

He has, however, arrived in England nursing a number of niggling knocks.

Ness has struggled to steer clear of the treatment table in recent years, but Stoke are confident that intensive workouts behind the scenes will have him ready pretty fastly.

The medical team have been working hard with him and will carry on working hard to get him fit for the start of the season, director of football John Rudge told The Sentinel.

Although Ness didn't play many games last season, Stoke are confident that any problems that Ness had before can be resolved.

Ness wants to be playing games and is looking forward to the challenge of playing in the Barclays Premier League after moving from Scotland.

Jamie-Ness-in-action-008.jpg

Done well with the signing of Ness and am interested to see how this Geoff Cameron dude turns out for us, seems interesting if he can get international clearance. American's seem to do well in the Premier League so let's hope this lad is another one! :D

Done well with the signing of Ness and am interested to see how this Geoff Cameron dude turns out for us' date=' seems interesting if he can get international clearance. American's seem to do well in the Premier League so let's hope this lad is another one! :D[/quote']

Yeah I think Ness is a good signing and on a free transfer we cant really go wrong, hes young aswell and I doubt he will be on as much money as most of the others with him being younger and not really being as much as a main player.

Cameron set for Stoke

Yeah it will be interesting to see how Cameron is, although to be honest I think he will be a back up most of the time with Upson, because Im sure the guy has got nothing on Shawcross and Huth, no disrespect to him. :)

Also, tonight we won 0-1 at FC Sion in our first preseason friendly, Matthew Etherington coverted from the spot on the 38th minute after their defender handled in the penalty area, I think its a pretty good win at Sion tbh.

Yeah I think Ness is a good signing and on a free transfer we cant really go wrong' date=' hes young aswell and I doubt he will be on as much money as most of the others with him being younger and not really being as much as a main player.

Cameron set for Stoke

Yeah it will be interesting to see how Cameron is, although to be honest I think he will be a back up most of the time with Upson, because Im sure the guy has got nothing on Shawcross and Huth, no disrespect to him. :)

Also, tonight we won 0-1 at FC Sion in our first preseason friendly, Matthew Etherington coverted from the spot on the 38th minute after their defender handled in the penalty area, I think its a pretty good win at Sion tbh.

I agree, has time to grow with the club at such a young age and of course, showed glimpses of promise at Rangers but was unfortunately hampered by injuries. Hope he can realise his true potential at The Britannia! :)

Well with Cameron he is a versatile player and can seemingly play in midfield too as well as defence, so where he would be utilised remains to be seen! But for sure were in need of a top midfielder and maybe he could mould into that and become a real find! Let's hope so anyway! :)

FC Sion are a top side with the likes of Genaro Gattuso and Kyle Lafferty there, so it was great for us to get a win and can hopefully keep this ore-season form up to kick start our Premier League campaign! :D

I agree' date=' has time to grow with the club at such a young age and of course, showed glimpses of promise at Rangers but was unfortunately hampered by injuries. Hope he can realise his true potential at The Britannia! :)

Well with Cameron he is a versatile player and can seemingly play in midfield too as well as defence, so where he would be utilised remains to be seen! But for sure were in need of a top midfielder and maybe he could mould into that and become a real find! Let's hope so anyway! :)

FC Sion are a top side with the likes of Genaro Gattuso and Kyle Lafferty there, so it was great for us to get a win and can hopefully keep this ore-season form up to kick start our Premier League campaign! :D[/quote']

Yep hopefully he will turn out to be a good player for us, hopefully he will get game time so he can get better but I think it will be difficult because I think he will have Palacios, Whelan, Whitehead and Delap ahead of him but Im sure if the regulars get injured/suspended Ness might have a chance to get in on the action and perhaps prove himself at some stage.

True, Pulis will probably put him in other positions than CB and perhaps with him being a versatile player he will swap around a little bit an really I think Wilson would be good in midfield if we got a new Left back in, Wilson seems to have good passing and Im pretty sure he was a central midfielder before he came to stoke.

I think FC Sion are a top side in the swiss league so it is a good result, an oh yeah Gattuso is their now, would be good if we can stay unbeaten in pre season, I think we are capable of doing that, from what I saw of the team tonight pulis near enough used all of his 20 man squad, I think he used 17+, if I remember right the only three players who didnt play were Nash, Ness and Sidibe.

STOKE MUST SELL BEFORE THEY CAN BUY

Stoke chairman Peter Coates claims there will be no repeat of the club's lavish spending of 2011 during this summer's transfer window.

The Potters left it late to carry out much of their business last year, with Peter Crouch, Wilson Palacios and Cameron Jerome snapped up on deadline day.

Stoke supporters will have been hoping for more of the same this time around, as Tony Pulis looks to keep the club heading in the right direction.

Coates has, however, warned that players will need to be moved on before fresh faces can be drafted in, with the Potters currently boasting 28 senior professionals on their books.

He told The Sentinel: "Are we going to spend like we did last year? We can't afford to, and neither can any other club our size.

"You can only have a squad of a certain size, otherwise they are all standing on the sidelines. What's clever about that?

Stoke have been heavily linked with Houston Dynamo defender Geoff Cameron, five days ago apparently a fee was agreed but we havent heard of anything else since, perhaps its been put on hold.

Will be interesting to see if we get Owen still, would be great if we do, hes on a free but he will still be getting payed up to £40K a week....

Geoff Cameron was left out of Houston Dynamo's team 2 days ago in their league game. So it seems like he is situated in England and something must be going on there. Seems the move is imminent and close to being completed now! :)

Geoff Cameron was left out of Houston Dynamo's team 2 days ago in their league game. So it seems like he is situated in England and something must be going on there. Seems the move is imminent and close to being completed now! :)

Yeah it didnt say we have agreed with Dynamo for him, shouldnt be a problem agreeing personal terms because in the league hes currently in they dont get payed much at all, well thats what I believe, heard.

Would be good if we got Cameron in and then Owen on a free, then perhaps we can ship some players out and if we do that then perhaps sign one or two on the last day.

Would be great if we got Jarvis as back up for Etherington but tbh I dont think it will be until towards the end of the window until Jarvis leaves, chances are Wolves will lower his pricetag if he demands to move.

STOKE LOSE AGAINST COLUMBUS CREW

Early hours this morning Stoke City played against Columbus Crew and lost 2-1 away from home in the second pre season friendly, Stoke striker Jonathan Walters put the potters in front midway through the first half, Horton put the home side on level terms just after midway through the second half, Columbus Crew managed to get a winner just a few minutes from time after Speas found the net, 2-1 to Columbus, disappointing that we didnt win but its only a friendly. :)

_54733106_walters226getty.jpg

DANNY COLLINS COULD BE LEAVING STOKE

Stoke City have confirmed that Welsh international defender Danny Collins has returned home from their pre-season tour of the United States . . . and that could signal the end of his time at the Britannia Stadium.

Collins left City’s squad shortly before their opening game of the USA tour against Columbus Crew and has gone back to England for transfer talks which could lead to a move to an npower Championship club.

The £2.75 million signing from Sunderland had two spells on loan in the Championship with Ipswich Town and West Ham United last season after finding himself on the fringe of manager Tony Pulis’ first team plans.

Pulis has given the go-ahead for Collins to leave the pre-season trip with a possible move to a new club in the pipeline.

We definitely wont get as much as we paid for him, more than likely be about £400-500K at best.

_56741691_131525705.jpg

Cameron poised for medical

Everton tried to beat us to him, I bet they never even heard of him before Stoke went in for him, cheeky buggers, oh well hes set for a medical now, thats good news.

Stoke keen on Kightly

Wolves have said that they might sell Kightly rather than risk losing him for nothing next summer, think he would be a decent back up to Pennant and Etherington but I dont think hes better than them.

Olsson requests transfer

Blackburns Martin Olsson has requested for a transfer, left sided player, not sure what think of him, im sure he would be a decent addition if he dosent cost us much.

In other news Danny Collins has joined Nottingham Forest for around 400K.

Lund has gone on loan to Bristol Rovers.

CAMERON DEAL IS DONE !

Cameron, Stokes second signing of the summer

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis believes a deal to take Geoff Cameron to Stoke is done, with the club now waiting on international clearance.

The Potters are thought to have fended off interest from a number of Premier League rivals to acquire the services of the Houston Dynamo defender.

Having reached an agreement for the highly-rated 27-year-old, Stoke are now looking for a transfer to be rubber-stamped during their pre-season tour of the United States.

Pulis is looking forward to adding another versatile performer to his ranks and is confident his latest signing has what it takes to make a positive impact in the Premier League.

Stoke open talks with £2M Hutton

Stoke are apparently interested in Aston Villa right back Alan Hutton.

Theres nothing about it on Sky Sports, only seen it on the Daily Mail site, if we do sign him then I dont think its that bad of a deal, I think really Stoke are in need of new full backs, Wilkinson isnt exactly the best right back in the world and wilson is actually a midfielder playing at left back, I think Hutton would be a decent signing and £2M isnt that bad.

Will be interesting to see Where Cameron is used this season, same with Wilson and Ness, I think Ness played his first game for stoke at left back in the position Wilson played last season.

There might be a lot of rotating this season.

Kansas City 1-1 Stoke City

Just finished, Substitute Michael Tonge went down in the box on around the 83rd minute of the game, he then took the spot kick for us and placed it nicely into the bottom left corner, right at the end of the game Wilson passed it back to Begovic and the goalkeeper made an absolute poor clearance, it was a sloppy clearance what went into their midfield, it went straight at one of their midfielders and alls the midfielder did was basically nothing, it hit him on his head and went over Begovic and into an empty net, 1-1. :rolleyes:

1 Win, 1 Draw and 1 Defeat out of three.

I can see Sorenson becoming first choice soon, Pulis actually said before this game that he hadnt decided who his keeper is going to be, they are having the same amount of time on the pitch in pre season.

Stoke agree Kightly fee

Weve needed another proper winger or two for a while really, would be good if we got Kightly in as our third signing of the summer.

The only two wingers I rate highly are Pennant and Etherington, I dont think Shotton is that good in that position an its a lot better to have a natural winger like Kightly as back up to them rather then Walters going on the wing when injurys occur.

I cant see the fee being anything over a couple of million, might not even be that much as hes only got a year left on his contract.

Would be good if the club get a deal completed by the end of the week so that hes in for the start of the season. :)

Michael-Kightly-Stoke-2012-300x197.jpg

Stoke agree Kightly fee

Weve needed another proper winger or two for a while really' date=' would be good if we got Kightly in as our third signing of the summer.

The only two wingers I rate highly are Pennant and Etherington, I dont think Shotton is that good in that position an its a lot better to have a natural winger like Kightly as back up to them rather then Walters going on the wing when injurys occur.

I cant see the fee being anything over a couple of million, might not even be that much as hes only got a year left on his contract.

Would be good if the club get a deal completed by the end of the week so that hes in for the start of the season. :)

[img']http://www.cleansheetsallround.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Michael-Kightly-Stoke-2012-300x197.jpg[/img]

Good signing, your type of winger, the only player who actually looked like he cared at the end of the season for Wolves last season and is good back up for Etherington and Pennant. Quite expensive though for a player with only a year left on his contract though if it around the £2 million mark.

Good signing' date=' your type of winger, the only player who actually looked like he cared at the end of the season for Wolves last season and is good back up for Etherington and Pennant. Quite expensive though for a player with only a year left on his contract though if it around the £2 million mark.[/quote']

Yeah, I think he'll be a good addition, wouldnt surprise me if at times he gets a chance ahead of pennant on the right wing, least we will beable switch wingers rather than having Shotton or Walters playing on the right wing.

Would be good if we could get a left winger now, then we would have good cover, an yeah he looked like one of their main players towards the end of last season, I dont think £2M is that bad for him, thats if it is around that figure.

I think Wolves have been trying get about £10-13M for Fletcher? If thats the case I think £2M for Kightly is great. :P

Yeah' date=' I think he'll be a good addition, wouldnt surprise me if at times he gets a chance ahead of pennant on the right wing, least we will beable switch wingers rather than having Shotton or Walters playing on the right wing.

Would be good if we could get a left winger now, then we would have good cover, an yeah he looked like one of their main players towards the end of last season, I dont think £2M is that bad for him, thats if it is around that figure.

I think Wolves have been trying get about £10-13M for Fletcher? If thats the case I think £2M for Kightly is great. :P[/center']

I think he's probably worth about £2 million, but when you consider he was in his last year of his contract and not looking to sign a new one you should be getting him for much cheaper than that. Still that's not neccesarily the fee though and I guess we'll have a better indication of what the fee is when the deal goes through.

Sebastian Boenisch was a suprise inclusion in our game vs Torquay United tonight, if we got him on a free it would be nothing short of a fantastic accusation. Was impressed with him at the Euro's, so we should snap him up immediately, seems like he is here on a trial basis atm though. He is a versatile defender also and mainly a full back, of which we are in desperate need of! 6''3 and only 25 years age, sounds like a perfect signing for Stoke! :P

Here's a link to a match report of the match on SkySports:

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3540270,00.html

Huth boost for Stoke

It did seem a bit worrying tbh' date=' just gone on Sky Sports an saw that this article was posted last night saying that he could be back in about 2 weeks which is good news.

He will miss the season opener on the 18th at Reading which is unfortunate so im guessing Cameron (Been granted work permit) or Upson will partner Shawcross in centre half.

Huth could be fit for the 25th when we play our first home game against Arsenal, hopefully anyway, need our main players for them tough games.

Sebastian Boenisch was a suprise inclusion in our game vs Torquay United tonight, if we got him on a free it would be nothing short of a fantastic accusation. Was impressed with him at the Euro's, so we should snap him up immediately, seems like he is here on a trial basis atm though. He is a versatile defender also and mainly a full back, of which we are in desperate need of! 6''3 and only 25 years age, sounds like a perfect signing for Stoke! :P

Here's a link to a match report of the match on SkySports:

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3540270,00.html

Yh he played most the game didnt he, would be a good addition imo. :)

In other news, theres a couple of more articles I thought I would post up.

Crouch hopes for Owen arrival

Nice to see his old England team mate having a say about Owen, another face who would be great to get on the free, its gone quite a bit quiet on Owen lately, probably just keeping his options open,I think Everton were the last club I heard interested.

Stoke complete Kightly capture

Happy with the Kightly signing, although I just hope Pennants stays, hes been linked with Wigan recently so hopefully Kightly isnt in as a replacement for JP.

I think he's probably worth about £2 million' date=' but when you consider he was in his last year of his contract and not looking to sign a new one you should be getting him for much cheaper than that. Still that's not neccesarily the fee though and I guess we'll have a better indication of what the fee is when the deal goes through.[/quote']

Yh the deal is about £2M, saw it in a couple of places, its about that anyway, dosent say it in the article on sky sports though.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/09/3297401/chelsea-youngster-lukaku-to-join-premier-league-rival-on?source=breakingnews

I actually pray to the lords above that it is us! I love this lad and I think he has undoubted fantastic potential in all honesty, but just needs to be given the chance to prove himself. In my mind, I think due to the collapse of Carroll's loan move to West Ham, they have went in for Lukaku now. So I believe it's out of us two, but we will see how it materialises. I hope it's us though, and if it is we have a fantastic squad going into next season! :D

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/08/09/3297401/chelsea-youngster-lukaku-to-join-premier-league-rival-on?source=breakingnews

I actually pray to the lords above that it is us! I love this lad and I think he has undoubted fantastic potential in all honesty' date=' but just needs to be given the chance to prove himself. In my mind, I think due to the collapse of Carroll's loan move to West Ham, they have went in for Lukaku now. So I believe it's out of us two, but we will see how it materialises. I hope it's us though, and if it is we have a fantastic squad going into next season! :D[/quote']

Lukaku is definitely our type of player. :P

We havent brought any strikers in yet and if somebody like Jerome leaves then we have got an ideal replacement for the season, thats if we do get Lukaku on loan.

I read that sunderland are interested and as natural forwards they only have Campbell, Ji and Wickham so it wouldnt surprise me if they are in for him.

Also,Kightly - Stoke are on the up

Lukaku makes Baggies switch

Looks like Romelu Lukaku is off to West Brom for the season, it would of been great if we got him in but unfortunately we havent, I thought it would be sunderland or one of the london sides possibly West Ham like Jono said.

I think that this move is probably best for him, I think he will get more games at West Brom than he would at Stoke, might suit him more their, I think he becomes their best striker tbh, think he would struggle play all the time with Crouch up top at Stoke.

yeah you've picked up a top quality winger there in kightly, think the end fee was 3mil(according to s.s.n) but wouldn't suprise me at all if he pushed his self into the first team pretty quickly, very good player, also saw earlier that stoke have taken in dynamo kiev fullback goran popov on a season loan(again s.s.n)