Sign in to follow this  
Ben-SCFC

Official Stoke City FC Thread

Re: Official Stoke City FC Thread

yeah you've picked up a top quality winger there in kightly' date=' think the end fee was 3mil(according to s.s.n) but wouldn't suprise me at all if he pushed his self into the first team pretty quickly, very good player, also saw earlier that stoke have taken in dynamo kiev fullback goran popov on a season loan(again s.s.n) [/font']

Stoke close in on capture of Dynamo Kiev defender Popov

Im pretty sure it was £2Mil, unless it increased at the end or something, not sure then.

Never saw anything about that Popov coming to Stoke but ive just done a search and found an article, sounds like he caught the eye of Pulis in the Europa game against us last season, I went that one down the Brit but cant remember him in particular (Obviously) - But we are in need of a full back or two, Pulis said the following 'Goran really impressed me last season'

It says hes got a great left foot on him and thats what we could do with on the left rather than a right footed midfielder in the left back spot. :P

Im pretty sure it was £2Mil' date=' unless it increased at the end or something, not sure then.

Never saw anything about that Popov coming to Stoke but ive just done a search and found an article, sounds like he caught the eye of Pulis in the Europa game against us last season, I went that one down the Brit but cant remember him in particular (Obviously) - But we are in need of a full back or two, Pulis said the following 'Goran really impressed me last season'

It says hes got a great left foot on him and thats what we could do with on the left rather than a right footed midfielder in the left back spot. :P[/center']

yeah just had a ittle look around at the kightly move , apparently its 1.5mil upfront an extra mil after 12months and 500k in add on's but either way its a shrewd bit of business by pulis.

Im pretty sure it was £2Mil' date=' unless it increased at the end or something, not sure then.

It says hes got a great left foot on him and thats what we could do with on the left rather than a right footed midfielder in the left back spot. :P[/center']

Will be a good signing for us.. Especially on a loan! If he has a powerful left foot then we can liken him to a bit of a John Arne Risse of our own! Turns 28 soonish but never the less, can't go wrong on a loan deal for sure! Ohhh, and Pulis forgot to mention that this guy has monster throws as well! ;)

Potters agree Popov deal (Sky Sports)
yeah just had a ittle look around at the kightly move ' date=' apparently its 1.5mil upfront an extra mil after 12months and 500k in add on's but either way its a shrewd bit of business by pulis.[/font']

Yh I think it will definitely be worth it in the end. :)

Will be a good signing for us.. Especially on a loan! If he has a powerful left foot then we can liken him to a bit of a John Arne Risse of our own! Turns 28 soonish but never the less' date=' can't go wrong on a loan deal for sure! Ohhh, and Pulis forgot to mention that this guy has monster throws as well! ;)[/quote']

Bet the throw in part is why we are getting him haha, he sounds like a good player really and it will be interesting to see who plays where this season, will be good to see where Wilson plays, I wouldnt mind him being moved into CM because hes got good accuracy normally with his passes and he is actually a midfielder.

Just gone on Sky Sports and ive seen that Left back Taye Taiwo is heading to Dynamo Kiev on loan for the season, so I guess hes Dynamo's replacement for this year.

It says that the Popov deal will happen on Monday. :)

200px-Stoke_City_FC.svg.png

CAPITAL ONE CUP

Stoke City have drawn Last seasons League 2 champions Swindon Town at the Britannia Stadium in the second round of the Capital One Cup.

The other night Swindon knocked Brighton out of the competition in the first round.

Draw for the second round:

Preston V Crystal Palace

Watford V Bradford

Swansea V Barnsley

Yeovil V West Brom

Coventry V Birmingham

West Ham V Crewe

Doncaster V Hull

Carlisle V Ipswich

Reading V Peterborough

Sheff Wed V Fulham

Leicester V Burton

Burnley V Plymouth

QPR V Walsall

Stevenage V Southampton

Nottingham Forest V Wigan

Stoke V Swindon

Aston Villa V Tranmere

Crawley V Bolton

Gillingham V Middlesbrough

Northampton V Wolves

Everton V Leyton Orient

MK Dons V Blackburn

Leeds V Oxford

Sunderland V Morecambe

Norwich V Shorpe

Ties to be played on the week commencing 27th August, the 25 winners of these games will be joined by the big 7 premier league teams who are in Europe this year.

Only 2 weeks until these games, looking forward to it, I like the cup competitions, especially when we are at the Brit. :)

Stoke City preview of the season and review of last season

Pretty decent to read, theres a page on every team on sky sports, just read the stoke one.

Tbh I dont think we were that disappointing last season, 14th was our worst finish but we had some bad results at the end which cost us a couple of places, Sky Sports are predicting us to finish in 12th place this season, sounds about right but if we could get top 10 that would be a good achievement. :)

Theres a couple of other articles:

Popov's stoke switch in doubt

Popov failed to receive international clearance so stoke are facing a fight to save a deal for Popov.

If we dont get him then it is disappointing, Popov has said that it was his dream to play in England aswell.

Stoke look at Portuguese scarlet

Stoke have taken a 21 year old winger on loan, called Tijane.

Ive searched him up on game and hes rated 73, nationality is Guinea though.

Also, the Stoke V Swindon game in the Capital one cup will be played on Tuesday 28th August, its a 7.45pm kick off, thats 3 days after the first home game V's Arsenal.

Would be good if we could get another forward in before the window closes.

Game1: Reading 1-1 Stoke City

Michael Kightly took a shot from around the edge of the penalty area, his shot went towards the corner of Federicis goal, the Australian goalkeeper got his hands to it but it sneaked through his arms and into the back of the net to give stoke a lead, just a couple of minutes before the end of the game Dean Whitehead went in with a clumsy tackle and brought down a reading player in the box, Whitehead had already been booked for a challenge in the first half but was showed a straight red, Reading striker Le Fondre stepped up from the spot and took the penalty into the right corner, Begovic couldnt quite keep it out and the game finished 1-1.

I was expecting a 1-1 draw, shame we let a goal in so late, Im fully confident we will take at least a point from the arsenal game next week.

What the team was:

Begovic, Wilkinson, Shawcross, Huth, Wilson, Kightly, Whitehead, Whelan, Etherington, Walters, Crouch: Subs, Sorenson, Shotton, Palacios, Ness, Delap, Jones, Jerome.

Bids accepted from you and QPR for Dawson' date=' confident of getting him?[/quote']

Confident? No. But if we did get him it would be fantastic. Always wanted an English CB pairing at Stoke, so Dawson and Shawcross would be perfect, then Huth can go RB and we would have a very solid defence. Also just read on Sky Sports that you are loaning out Huddlestone and we are front runners for his signature, many ex-Spurs players at Stoke then if this happens and would be a very shrewed signing for us. Building a very strong team if both of these materialise.

Also just read on Sky Sports that you are loaning out Huddlestone and we are front runners for his signature' date=' many ex-Spurs players at Stoke then if this happens and would be a very shrewed signing for us. Building a very strong team if both of these materialise.[/quote']

Yeah he needs match fitness, not bothered where he goes aslong as he gets fitness and performs well.

Huddlestone passes Stoke medical

Tom Huddlestone has passed his medical.

Hopefully the deal is 'completed in the next 24 hours' as it says on Sky Sports.

In other news, Kenwyne Jones has been linked with Aston Villa, it would be great if we could get a striker in before the window closes whether he leaves or not.

Huddlestone move is off !

Sky Sports sources understand Stoke City and Tottenham Hotspur have been unable to agree a deal over the loan of Tom Huddlestone.

Huddlestone was at Stoke on Thursday for a medical and the deal was expected to be finalized on Friday. (Yesterday)

The deal has hit a hitch and has it stands nothing has been agreed for Huddlestone.

So by the looks of it we have been unable to agree personal terms, stupid really, shouldnt that of all been sorted before he come for a medical.

Perhaps he was after something over £40K, thats the maximum we pay wage wise, im sure if it was up to £40K then Pulis would of agreed it, perhaps hes asked for too much or something.

Stoke close to Edu deal

'Stoke City are close to completing the signing of USA midfielder Maurice Edu from Rangers'

'USA International Edu has agreed personal terms over potters switch'

Hes one of the players who dosent want to play in the Scottish third division so it looks like he will moving and theres a good chance it will be to us. :)

I read this morning that Pulis asked international team mate Cameron about Edu and Geoff only had good things to say about him.

Also read in the local newspaper that hes versatile aswell, pulis says its important to get versatile players in because the squad will probably be shorter this season with players leaving.

In other news Ricardo Fuller joined Charlton for free, was released by us a while back, think hes a great signing for them really.

Game 2: Stoke 0-0 Arsenal

Second draw of the season. :P

It was a decent game considering it was 0-0, Cameron played alright in midfield, hes got a good throw on him, it isnt as good as Delaps, similar to Shottons, Cameron will be learning from Rory until he retires. :D

In the game though we didnt have a corner all game, they had 11.

They had more chances than us, Giroud had a good chance to score when Begovic come off his line but his attempt went just over the goal towards the end of the game.

Am looking forward to Tuesday now when we play Swindon Town in the Capital One Cup.

So, Edu becomes our 4th signing of the summer.

:P

I wasnt that sure it had been finalized but with him being on the betting sheets for tonights game it must of been completed. :)

Dont think ive seen him play before but its nice that weve got another player in after failing to get Huddlestone on loan.

We play Swindon tonight at the Brit, ive decided stick a quid on Upson to score first and us to win 3-0, odds at around 300/1, worth a quid if we get some early corners. :P - I think him and Shawcross will play at CB.

CAPITAL ONE CUP

It was an absolutely terrible result in the first round of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday, couldnt believe it when we went 0-2 down through two goals from their Collins.

It looks better when Jones got us one back in the second half, Jonathan Walters managed get an equalizer before the final whistle which took it to extra time, i was quite confident we would win it then. :)

They went ahead again though in extra time, Flint got the goal.

Crouch brought in back to 3-3 in the 111th minute.

But their Collins managed get his third goal at the end of extra time.

Terrible result, shock of the round.

Sorenson and Shotton werent very good at all, Upson didnt play that well.

I would say Kightly was our best player on the night.

Seeing as we are out of the competition I dont think theres any point of me putting the draw up for the 3rd round etc..:o

Stoke sign Charlie Adam !

Charlie Adam has joined Stoke from Liverpool for £4M.

He could make his debut at Wigan on Saturday.

I think hes a good signing, he becomes our 4th signing, dont think the Edu deal is done yet although hes got the work permit, dont no why he was on the betting sheets for Tuesdays cup game haha.

Stoke sign Charlie Adam !

Charlie Adam has joined Stoke from Liverpool for £4M.

He could make his debut at Wigan on Saturday.

I think hes a good signing' date=' he becomes our 4th signing, dont think the Edu deal is done yet although hes got the work permit, dont no why he was on the betting sheets for Tuesdays cup game haha.[/center']

Great signing for us, suits us perfectly. Apparently made an enquiry for Jordan Henderson of Liverpool too and also according to Sky, we're close to agreeing a deal for Steven N'Zonzi, he would be another very good signing! Link below:

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/SkySportsNews

N'Zonzi link below as well:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8037468/Potters-hold-talks-with-N-zonzi

Great signing for us' date=' suits us perfectly. Apparently made an enquiry for Jordan Henderson of Liverpool too and also according to Sky, we're close to agreeing a deal for Steven N'Zonzi, he would be another very good signing! Link below:

[url']https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/SkySportsNews[/url]

N'Zonzi link below as well:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8037468/Potters-hold-talks-with-N-zonzi

Yeah it definitely seems like we will be more solid in midfield this season.

Like you said before though we could still do with a couple of full backs, one at least.

Not to sure if we will get Henderson, Im not really that much for him, he might be alright in midfield for us, dont think he will score many though. :P (That first link didnt work btw but it dm :))

I think a couple of other clubs are after NZonzi so we will probably have competition for him.

Yeah it definitely seems like we will be more solid in midfield this season.

Like you said before though we could still do with a couple of full backs' date=' one at least.

Not to sure if we will get Henderson, Im not really that much for him, he might be alright in midfield for us, dont think he will score many though. :P (That first link didnt work btw but it dm :))

I think a couple of other clubs are after NZonzi so we will probably have competition for him.[/center']

No doubt, it's just what we needed tbh and with Maurice in as well it's looking very solid, impressive with the business were doing but surely we have to move some midfielders on.

I don't think we will get Henderson and I don't think he suits our style of play either, we could get better than him for sure. Reports claiming Aaron Lennon could even possibly be on his way, which would be a knock on affect if Willian was to go to Tottenham which doesn't look likely atm anyway, so I can't see that happening. It's on Twitter on Sky Sports on there, won't work because it's on my iPad where as your on your laptop I'm guessing! :P

I can see us signing N'Zonzi anyway, despite the competition. I'm very sure of that! ;)

No doubt' date=' it's just what we needed tbh and with Maurice in as well it's looking very solid, impressive with the business were doing but surely we have to move some midfielders on.

I don't think we will get Henderson and I don't think he suits our style of play either, we could get better than him for sure. Reports claiming Aaron Lennon could even possibly be on his way, which would be a knock on affect if Willian was to go to Tottenham which doesn't look likely atm anyway, so I can't see that happening. It's on Twitter on Sky Sports on there, won't work because it's on my iPad where as your on your laptop I'm guessing! :P

I can see us signing N'Zonzi anyway, despite the competition. I'm very sure of that! ;)[/quote']

Yeah, a couple of midfielders might well leave, it seems it anyway with Edu, Adam and Cameron (Geoff played their in his first games) and then theres Ness who we brought, he went off in Extra time though on Tuesday as he got injured.

Ive just seen this link:

Wolves in for Whelan

Possibly Whelan could go, it says hes considering moving on for regular first team action, if he does go Wolves then he would probably be one of their best midfielders. ;) - haha, he would start anyway.

N'Zonzi in at Stoke

Stoke completed the signing of Blackburn midfielder Steven N'Zonzi just before the transfer deadline.

He has signed a 4 year contract.

The fee is £3.5M rising to £5Million.

He was the third player to come to us on deadline day, following Adam and Edu's arrival.

Thats a total of six players we have brought in this transfer window:

Jamie Ness

Geoff Cameron

Michael Kightly

Charlie Adam

Maurice Edu

Steven N'Zonzi

So, we have pretty much signed 6 midfielders, its fair to say that we are definitely stronger in that area now.

We havent exactly lost many good players, as far as I no we have still got Whelan and Palacios aswell (Unless ive missed it haha) so theres going be loads of competition in midfield now, especially in the central positions.

Pulis still keen on Owen

Hopefully Owen does come, he hasnt got long left to decide anyway, an some guy commented on the article and wrote the following:

Pulis, and his "brand of football" do not belong in the EPL! Keeping the ball in the air and turning the game into a heading contest is a complete waste of time, and ugly to watch. I don't know how the Stoke fans tolerate it! Owen would NOT fit their style of play, and he knows it. Sure, playing football in the air is hard to beat, and few teams can beat them, I'd even back Stoke against Barcelona!.... but I wouldn't pay to watch 'em! Forget Owen, and concentrate on getting another Crouch!

That can only be good, right? :P

What a joke. I remember you lot turning one Demba Ba down because he was injury prone.

Now you sign Owen :rolleyes:

Don't care what anyone says, he's mugging you lot off, just like he did United. Thinks the world owes him a living, saying he'll only play in the EPL. He'd get 20 goals a season in the Championship. He'll do well to get 20 appearances