Willem II - Mission Impossible? (GC 181)

Willem II - Mission Impossible? (GC 181)  

1. 1.

• Champions!
    • Europe
    • Mid-table
    • Relegation

Willem II appoint Rothnie as manager!

Just minute's ago it was confirmed that newly promoted Evredivisie side Willem II have hired Alos Rothnie as new manager. Willem, who are favorites for the drop this season believe that Rothnie is the man to lead them to glory. During the press-conference of which the new appointment was confirmed, chairman Marco Wilke talked up the youngster.

" This decision was a very hard one to make. It was sad to see Streppel go but we must respect his reasons. We feel that the appointment of Mr. Rothnie will only head us in the right direction. We both have an understanding of what needs to happen, and Alos has my full support. "

Rothnie faces a tough task to return glory to a side that has not won the Evredivisie title since 1965. After Wilke introduced the new boss, it was Rothnie's turn to speak.

" Let me just say how happy I am to have gotten this chance. Here is a club who were once a very good side, and have a place in history forever. Obviously it is a very historical club, winning the first ever Evredivisie and earning a few other titles to its name. It's my job to get this club back to where they once were. We have a strong group of players which I will look to improve, but it is unlikely any signings will be made before the season opener.

Mr. Wilke and I have both agreed that a realistic goal to set is to make Europe within four seasons, and push for the title from after that. "

Rothnie will face the toughest start of all the Dutch sides, with Az, FC Twente and Ajax all up in the first 3 games, with the disadvantage of being away twice.

" It's defiantly going to be a very tough start, and many people will expecting us to get thumped, but I believed we can pick up a minimum of 5 points from these games. "

Another of Rothnie's tasks will be to hold onto the prospective and talented youngster Joroen Lumu. The club confirmed before Rothnie's appointment 13 bids from other clubs had been made, but no decision had been decided on. It is believed the club has rejected all bids since the introduction of Rothnie.

"Lumu is a very very talented player and a very bright prospect for the future. I will defiantly try to keep him as he will be vital for the progression of the club. However if it comes down to him wanting to stay or go, he will be allowed to leave for the right price. "

164060hp2.jpg

^^ Lumu in action ^^

Along with Rothnie's appointment he has also had ex Liverpool Manager Kenny Dalglish take the assistant manager's post, who was sacked by the Reds in May.

Re: Willem II - Mission Impossible? (GC 181)

Zaha joins Willem!

New Willem II manager Alos Rothnie has wasted no time at all and announced his first signing for the club. Wilfred Zaha of Shaktar will join on a season long loan in a bid to secure first team football and improve himself as a player. The 19 year old winger joined Shaktar from Crystal Palace yesterday but was told he should go out on loan as he would struggle to find minutes at his new club. Rothnie spoke of his delight at securing the loan.

" I'm obviously very happy to have added Zaha to my squad so quickly. He will provide quality and strength to a side that is ready to make a mark. He is the perfect type of player I need to play my football and fans should expect big things from him this season."

" I'll also reveal that I have turned down an offer for Joren Lumu from Manchester City, as I thought the offer disadvantaged our side and therefore Lumu will remain a Willem II player for now. "

Rothnie has also been rumored to have made numerous other loan approaches.

Wilfred+Zaha+Queens+Park+Rangers+v+Crystal+K3pfWu7NatSl.jpg

Willem hold Vitoria

Alos Rothnie earned a 1-1 draw in his first game in charge against Brazilian side Vitoria. Donny De Groot was on target in just seven minutes to put the dutch minnows ahead, but Vitoria equalized just 5 minutes later through Souza William. Rothnie seemed happy with the display.

"There's many positives to take away from this game. In all truth we were the far better side, if you look at the amount of shots and the possession we had. This shows we are on the right track, as they were the more fancied team before the game. I think the main thing we'll have to work on though is taking our chances better. "

BD_17886045_178860_2350199a.JPG

^^ De Groot celebrates after opening the scoring ^^

Not only did recent arrival Wilfred Zaha play, but another new loanee Roberto Soriano started the game.

" I'm very happy to have brought these two in before the start of the season. They will be very important for us and are excellent players. I'm happy with how both played, but I'm sure there is much more to come from them. "

Rothnie's reign kicks off with a draw

Willem II grabbed a vital point in their first game against AZ last night. 1-1 was the final score with Willem impressing in their 1st game in the evredivisie. The home side dominated the game, with 60% of possession. Haastrup opened his scoring account with a cool finish in the 7th minute. Willem held the lead all the way until the 54th minute when moisander hit back for AZ.

Tim Borowski, a loanee from Werder Bremen played his first game for Willem as well.

" It's defiantly a promising result, we absolutely killed them. We were unlucky to have a win, but we must now focus on our next games. If we play like this for the rest of the season I'm sure we will be contenders for a European spot." - Rothnie

willem2_1_702844a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived