Neymar  

1. 1.

• Yes, he deserves to rise
    • No, he should stay
    • I think SM will give him a rating increase
    • SM will keep his rating at 90

Re: Neymar

well he rose. well deserved!

Deserved?It isnt deserved lol.I'm curious to see based on what is he a 91..Because Santos is the 11th team in Brazil?Like JHM said purely because hype factor...but I understand for talents who're proving in a big league but not in Brazil,for a team which is 11th for sake.I learn to not compare player ratings on SM but if Neymar is a 91 in Brazil for the 11th team then Gotze should get a higher rating,Reus should be rated a lot higher then Neymar,Vidal should be a rated a lot higher then Neymar,Kagawa should be twice of Neymar,Kroos should be 3x Neymar's,Jovetic should be 94+ based on SM facts.

It is ridiculous,pathetic and an insult to many players...Vidal,Kroos,Kagawa are the best examples atm

Of course the 91 was warranted.

It's laughable that people compare positions, for example Vidal and Neymar. How on earth can you compare their positions and how each position should be rated? Don't be silly.

Neymar has consistently tore apart the Brazilian league since he was 17 and has always scored goals for club and recently; country.

The whole "Oh but he only plays in Brazil" argument doesn't really hold much weight considering Pele; widely considered the greatest player ever, spent the majority of his career in Brazil.

Now the most important part of analysing whether he deserves a 91 or not is to compare players around him in the same position.

Hulk, Farfan, Adebayor, Totti? Really? You're going to tell me you think they're better strikers than Neymar? Behave.

Yes there are strikers rated lower than Neymar who should arguably rated the same or higher such as Lewandowski & Reus but their rises will come.

Go and have a look for yourself at some of the strikers rated at 90 who he is clearly better than and then who decides that the Russian, Turkish or Portugese leagues are stronger than Brazil? You lot? Behave.

The Brazilian league just gets massively discredited on here as being inferior to most of Europe and i'm not really sure why. People need to widen their horizons to be honest. There's more to football than just Europe.

It's laughable that people compare positions' date=' for example Vidal and Neymar. How on earth can you compare their positions and how each position should be rated? Don't be silly.

Neymar has consistently tore apart the Brazilian league since he was 17 and has always scored goals for club and recently; country.

The whole "Oh but he only plays in Brazil" argument doesn't really hold much weight considering Pele; widely considered the greatest player ever, spent the majority of his career in Brazil.

Now the most important part of analysing whether he deserves a 91 or not is to compare players around him in the same position.

Hulk, Farfan, Adebayor, Totti? Really? You're going to tell me you think they're better strikers than Neymar? Behave.

Yes there are strikers rated lower than Neymar who should arguably rated the same or higher such as Lewandowski & Reus but their rises will come.

Go and have a look for yourself at some of the strikers rated at 90 who he is clearly better than and then who decides that the Russian, Turkish or Portugese leagues are stronger than Brazil? You lot? Behave.

The Brazilian league just gets massively discredited on here as being inferior to most of Europe and i'm not really sure why. People need to widen their horizons to be honest. There's more to football than just Europe.[/quote']

totally agree with this!

It's laughable that people compare positions' date=' for example Vidal and Neymar. How on earth can you compare their positions and how each position should be rated? Don't be silly.

The Brazilian league just gets massively discredited on here as being inferior to most of Europe and i'm not really sure why. People need to widen their horizons to be honest. There's more to football than just Europe.[/quote']

Absolutely true! Agree with you 10000%!

Yes me too!!! :D

Totaly agree... He plays for that.... He deserves 91!!!

Look at his stats... For the lazy here goes:

Paulista 2012 - (16games - 20goals)

Brasileirão 2012 - (10games - 8goals)

Libertadores 2012 - (12games - 8goals)

38games - 36goals

Campeonato Paulista 2012 - Melhor Marcador 1º 20 Golos

Média de Golos/Jogo 1º 1.25 Golos/Jogo

Mais Hat-tricks 1º 3 Hat-tricks

Campeonato Brasileiro 2012 - Melhor Marcador 11º 8 Golos

Média de Golos/Jogo 4º 0.80 Golos/Jogo

Mais Minutos 263º 863 Minutos

Copa Libertadores 2012 - Melhor Marcador 1º 8 Golos

Média de Golos/Jogo 5º 0.67 Golos/Jogo

Mais Golos de Penalti 1º 2 Golos

Mais Hat-tricks 1º 1 Hat-tricks

Mais Minutos 10º 1080 Minutos

I think thats enough...and i´me not counting with assists!! :o

These guys make me laugh when you say he does not deserve!!! :D:D:D:D

or do not understand anything football....not want to understand... or else are dumb!! Spare me...

Just a few points I like to answer on so apologise beforehand that I cut this post into pieces.

The whole "Oh but he only plays in Brazil" argument doesn't really hold much weight considering Pele; widely considered the greatest player ever' date=' spent the majority of his career in Brazil.[/quote']

The argument that Neymar only plays in Brazil indeed doesn't have much weight on how the general public rate him. As you said Pele played almost his whole life in Brazil and is widely considered as one of the best players (if not even the best).

However in terms of SM it actually does matter. If SM would have existed already when Pele played, Pele could have been considered the best player in the world without having the best rating on SM.

Moreover it's no big secret that players that play regularly in bigger leagues have a higher rating than players that play in smaller leagues. If you don't believe me just check out the highest rated players in the English PL and in the Maltese PL.

Moreover the online help of SM tells us regarding player ratings:

The main factors that contribute to a down-rating include:

[...]

• Dropping down a domestic league level;

[...]

The main factors that contribute to an up-rating include:

[...]

• Reaching the next stage in their career (e.g proving themselves in a higher division or at a continental/international level).

So actually it's not only a question on how good the player is. It's also important in which league he plays in.

This would be correct if you would rate players purely on their skills. However as explained above SM also uses the leagues and teams the player plays in. It actually would be extremely weird if they wouldn't use it. For example I could claim that my skills are better than Messi's but unfortunately only a handful of people would know it as I only play in the 8th league at my regional home team. Hardly anyone on here could disprove me. So should I be rated the same as Messi even if I only showed my skills by playing with scrappy football players? I don't think so.

So to determine a player's rating one part is to look at the league he is playing in to know in which boundaries his rating can be set. And another part is to look on how good his team is doing in this league. And of course it's important to check how the player is performing.

I personally don't think it's important to compare a player to other players and their ratings in order to determine his rating. The points mentioned above are far more important.

who decides that the Russian' date=' Turkish or Portugese leagues are stronger than Brazil?[/quote']

Now we're getting much closer. This is IMO a very important point to judge whether Neymar's rise was justified or not.

How strong is the Brazilian league?

In Europe we have the UEFA country ranking to judge about this. For sure it might not be 100 percent correct when you try to compare 2 leagues. However it's an indicator and based on this you can say: The Spanish league is probably better than the Portuguese.

However where to put Brazil in this ranking? At the top? At the bottom? Right before the Netherlands? It's impossible to say.

The Brazilian league just gets massively discredited on here as being inferior to most of Europe and i'm not really sure why. People need to widen their horizons to be honest. There's more to football than just Europe.

I completely agree with this part. But just as explained above: It's impossible to say how strong Brazil is compared to European leagues. And just because the league in general might be underrated (by the public or/and by SM), it's not the right way to increase the rating of a player that already has a high rating. It would be make much more sense to increase the ratings of the lower rated players a bit to equalise the underrating a bit.

=============================================

As said before I don't want to compare Brazil to European leagues and judge then if Neymar's rise is fair based on this.

I just don't get it that the highest rated player in a league can rise even if his team is doing anything but good in the league.

To me this would be like Ribery at Bayern would rise to 96 because he is performing good - even if Bayern would be 10th in the Bundesliga.

Or like Vidic rising to 97 even if ManUtd would be 12th in the Premier League.

I doubt anyone then would say: Yes, of course he deserve it. He is playing great both in the NT and at the club.

Just a few points I like to answer on so apologise beforehand that I cut this post into pieces.

The argument that Neymar only plays in Brazil indeed doesn't have much weight on how the general public rate him. As you said Pele played almost his whole life in Brazil and is widely considered as one of the best players (if not even the best).

However in terms of SM it actually does matter. If SM would have existed already when Pele played' date=' Pele could have been considered the best player in the world without having the best rating on SM.

Moreover it's no big secret that players that play regularly in bigger leagues have a higher rating than players that play in smaller leagues. If you don't believe me just check out the highest rated players in the English PL and in the Maltese PL.

Moreover the online help of SM tells us regarding player ratings:

So actually it's not only a question on how good the player is. It's also important in which league he plays in.

This would be correct if you would rate players purely on their skills. However as explained above SM also uses the leagues and teams the player plays in. It actually would be extremely weird if they wouldn't use it. For example I could claim that my skills are better than Messi's but unfortunately only a handful of people would know it as I only play in the 8th league at my regional home team. Hardly anyone on here could disprove me. So should I be rated the same as Messi even if I only showed my skills by playing with scrappy football players? I don't think so.

So to determine a player's rating one part is to look at the league he is playing in to know in which boundaries his rating can be set. And another part is to look on how good his team is doing in this league. And of course it's important to check how the player is performing.

I personally don't think it's important to compare a player to other players and their ratings in order to determine his rating. The points mentioned above are far more important.

Now we're getting much closer. This is IMO a very important point to judge whether Neymar's rise was justified or not.

How strong is the Brazilian league?

In Europe we have the UEFA country ranking to judge about this. For sure it might not be 100 percent correct when you try to compare 2 leagues. However it's an indicator and based on this you can say: The Spanish league is probably better than the Portuguese.

However where to put Brazil in this ranking? At the top? At the bottom? Right before the Netherlands? It's impossible to say.

I completely agree with this part. But just as explained above: It's impossible to say how strong Brazil is compared to European leagues. And just because the league in general might be underrated (by the public or/and by SM), it's not the right way to increase the rating of a player that already has a high rating. It would be make much more sense to increase the ratings of the lower rated players a bit to equalise the underrating a bit.

=============================================

As said before I don't want to compare Brazil to European leagues and judge then if Neymar's rise is fair based on this.

I just don't get it that the highest rated player in a league can rise even if his team is doing anything but good in the league.

To me this would be like Ribery at Bayern would rise to 96 because he is performing good - even if Bayern would be 10th in the Bundesliga.

Or like Vidic rising to 97 even if ManUtd would be 12th in the Premier League.

I doubt anyone then would say: Yes, of course he deserve it. He is playing great both in the NT and at the club.

I agree with a lot of the things you say to be honest. It is indeed very hard to compare leagues and therefore how on earth do you compare players from different leagues? I agree 100%.

Using the Premier League and the Maltese Premier League is a bit of a redundant example to be honest as we all know the difference in quality isn't even close. That's not just my opinion, if you asked 1000 people, i'd be surprised if one person said that the Maltese league was stronger. You can compare them in the UEFA rankings as you said yourself and you'd see the startling difference between the two so i don't really see the point of using these two as an example.

That's not the case though if you compare the Brazilian league with leagues like Holland, Portugal, Turkey, Russia and maybe even France. If you posted a poll i think the results would be largely split as to which league is perceived the strongest and like you said we cannot compare them using the UEFA rankings.

Again, another redundant argument is using the example of your own skills compared to Messi. The simple fact is if you were that good, you'd be playing for Barcelona by now. No one is comparing their own stats, we're comparing the stats of a Brazilian international 'wonderkid' who has a $40m pre-agreement in place with Barcelona to join in either 2013 or after the 2014 World Cup to players who by SM standards are rated around the same.

If the argument put forward by most was not about which league he played in and more aimed towards the fact his team is struggling i'd be more inclined to side with them. That said, how many ratings increases have we seen in the past that seemed 'generous.

Podolski to 91 when he was at struggling Cologne?

Modric to 93 for a Spurs team who only finished 4th?

Hazard to 92 was also largely disputed because he was largely unproven at the highest level.

De Gea to 90 despite never impressing?

To be perfectly honest, i'm not sure anymore how SM works out their ratings despite what they say. I remember when Podolski got his rise there was outrage that Soldado was rated lower than him. Soldado then got his rise next time round.

In conclusion, the question is how do you compare leagues? There simply is no scientific way and it seems to be all down to perception when comparing South American leagues to European leagues.

I agree with a lot of the things you say to be honest. It is indeed very hard to compare leagues and therefore how on earth do you compare players from different leagues? I agree 100%.

Using the Premier League and the Maltese Premier League is a bit of a redundant example to be honest as we all know the difference in quality isn't even close. That's not just my opinion' date=' if you asked 1000 people, i'd be surprised if one person said that the Maltese league was stronger. You can compare them in the UEFA rankings as you said yourself and you'd see the startling difference between the two so i don't really see the point of using these two as an example.

That's not the case though if you compare the Brazilian league with leagues like Holland, Portugal, Turkey, Russia and maybe even France. If you posted a poll i think the results would be largely split as to which league is perceived the strongest and like you said we cannot compare them using the UEFA rankings.

Again, another redundant argument is using the example of your own skills compared to Messi. The simple fact is if you were that good, you'd be playing for Barcelona by now. No one is comparing their own stats, we're comparing the stats of a Brazilian international 'wonderkid' who has a $40m pre-agreement in place with Barcelona to join in either 2013 or after the 2014 World Cup to players who by SM standards are rated around the same.

If the argument put forward by most was not about which league he played in and more aimed towards the fact his team is struggling i'd be more inclined to side with them. That said, how many ratings increases have we seen in the past that seemed 'generous.

Podolski to 91 when he was at struggling Cologne?

[b']Modric to 93 for a Spurs team who only finished 4th? [/b]

Hazard to 92 was also largely disputed because he was largely unproven at the highest level.

De Gea to 90 despite never impressing?

To be perfectly honest, i'm not sure anymore how SM works out their ratings despite what they say. I remember when Podolski got his rise there was outrage that Soldado was rated lower than him. Soldado then got his rise next time round.

In conclusion, the question is how do you compare leagues? There simply is no scientific way and it seems to be all down to perception when comparing South American leagues to European leagues.

In De gea appear the Club factor :)

Hazard again the hipe factor but at least he played in a lot better league,in UCL and had some amazing stats.

4th team in PL isnt that bad lol?Chelsea finished 6th...so?

Podolski 91...league factor :)

neymar 91?Hipe factor.

Anyway we cant do anything.SM its SM and Neymar is a 91 from this moment..undeserved for many deserved for many..whatever.

Hazard again the hipe factor but at least he played in a lot better league' date='in UCL and had some amazing stats.

neymar 91?Hipe factor.

[b']Anyway we cant do anything.SM its SM and Neymar is a 91 from this moment..undeserved for many deserved for many..whatever.[/b]

100% agree. A lot of player ratings are purely down to perception in all honesty.

Hazard again the hipe factor but at least he played in a lot better league' date='in UCL and had some amazing stats.

neymar 91?Hipe factor.

Anyway we cant do anything.SM its SM and Neymar is a 91 from this moment..undeserved for many deserved for many..whatever.[/quote']

if you think its bad he got 91 in sm, look what hes rated in fifa:p

some excellent further responses from Timesle & Guerilla, this is what i like to see on the forum...proper debate! but their were a few ridiculous comments but il leave them aside....

I cba to pick through both posts but as a keen follower of serie a and brazilian football the major point id like to highlight is the brazilian league is improving rapidly, the clubs are getting wealthier in part to the nations growing economic wealth.

Couple that with the recent 'big' name buys to the league,, Seedorf, Forlan & other brazilian players returning home from Europe. The talent pool is expanding therefore players and the league is getting better....

BUT....

It is dominated by skillful attacking players immensely 'helped' by some woeful goalkeepers and even more appalling defending.

a lot of points raised on the thread by previous posts highlights all neymars goals as a reason, but many goals are against very weak calibre of opposition...forget the Paulista appearances & goals, it is a weak tournament and a poor indicator of how well a team is playing, as they are pitched against local clubs to see who is the best in the area, so you have top pro clubs, semi pro sides and even amateur clubs.

final point id like to add....

If Damiao doesnt get a 91 (+3 not likely at all) then SM is way out.

IMO Damiao is far more a complete player than Neymar.

Yes me too!!! :D

Totaly agree... He plays for that.... He deserves 91!!!

Look at his stats... For the lazy here goes:

Paulista 2012 - (16games - 20goals)

Brasileirão 2012 - (10games - 8goals)

Libertadores 2012 - (12games - 8goals)

38games - 36goals

Campeonato Paulista 2012 - Melhor Marcador 1º 20 Golos

Média de Golos/Jogo 1º 1.25 Golos/Jogo

Mais Hat-tricks 1º 3 Hat-tricks

Campeonato Brasileiro 2012 - Melhor Marcador 11º 8 Golos

Média de Golos/Jogo 4º 0.80 Golos/Jogo

Mais Minutos 263º 863 Minutos

Copa Libertadores 2012 - Melhor Marcador 1º 8 Golos

Média de Golos/Jogo 5º 0.67 Golos/Jogo

Mais Golos de Penalti 1º 2 Golos

Mais Hat-tricks 1º 1 Hat-tricks

Mais Minutos 10º 1080 Minutos

I think thats enough...and i´me not counting with assists!! :o

These guys make me laugh when you say he does not deserve!!! :D:D:D:D

or do not understand anything football....not want to understand... or else are dumb!! Spare me...

these stats are pointless.

The 20 goals in Paulista is no achievement.

look at who the goals are going in against.

a lot of poor sides/semi pro/amateur clubs. Its a weak tournament.

if your basing ratings on goals, Gary Hooper should be 91? or Fernando Torres should be dropping then?

but as you say, maybe i dont understand football or not want to understand or im just dumb! Ill let the forum decide that.

these stats are pointless.

The 20 goals in Paulista is no achievement.

look at who the goals are going in against.

a lot of poor sides/semi pro/amateur clubs. Its a weak tournament.

if your basing ratings on goals' date=' Gary Hooper should be 91? or Fernando Torres should be dropping then?

but as you say, maybe i dont understand football or not want to understand or im just dumb! Ill let the forum decide that.[/quote']

Not mean to offend anyone..and sorry if I did!! But are people who posts that take me from seriously with certain comments!!! :mad:

For me he deserves 91... Thats the point! He works for that!| not understand why are so many people who don´t like him!! Look for me.. I´me portuguese and i like him... That's why i see games Brazilian championship!! Because are so many good players... And those who can see even say evil! ENJOY!!! And when you are older can say:

- I went forecast of the best players in the world and had the pleasure of seeing them play!!!

Not mean to offend anyone..and sorry if I did!! But are people who posts that take me from seriously with certain comments!!! :mad:

For me he deserves 91... Thats the point! He works for that!| not understand why are so many people who don´t like him!! Look for me.. I´me portuguese and i like him... That's why i see games Brazilian championship!! Because are so many good players... And those who can see even say evil! ENJOY!!! And when you are older can say:

- I went forecast of the best players in the world and had the pleasure of seeing them play!!!

Nobody wants to offend anyone on these forums. (Sometimes they do, but not here). People, including myself, question the need to put him to 91.

Nevermind how the league is preset to make forwards have the advantage by the referee, as the calls for fouls are rampant.

Nevermind that the Brazilian league is the best in South America by a bit to Argentina. The other leagues do have great teams and all play well within the Copa, but we cannot say it is as strong as the Europa league.

I can see why people like the guy, he can be a dainty little fairy who can do things with the ball that would make people shudder, he can move past defenses fairly well. He scores, he is handsome ;), and he has a decent work rate for his team. I don't know how well he has done for Brazil, but I will see come a WC in 2 years.

I will say that he is the best rated player in Brazil. There are many great players who won't come near 89 nevermind 91. Why are there no bunch of defenders at a decently high rating in Brazil? I don't know, as the league is not on SM par with the other leagues. Getting such a high rating in a place where ratings are so limited is a bit peculiar.

90 was a very good lead for him as a homegrown Brazilian. 91 is a bit too much.

Good luck to him, I await his appearance for whomever. then he can prove his rating right or wrong.

Nobody wants to offend anyone on these forums. (Sometimes they do' date=' but not here). People, including myself, question the need to put him to 91.

Nevermind how the league is preset to make forwards have the advantage by the referee, as the calls for fouls are rampant.

Nevermind that the Brazilian league is the best in South America by a bit to Argentina. The other leagues do have great teams and all play well within the Copa, but we cannot say it is as strong as the Europa league.

I can see why people like the guy, he can be a dainty little fairy who can do things with the ball that would make people shudder, he can move past defenses fairly well. He scores, he is handsome ;), and he has a decent work rate for his team. I don't know how well he has done for Brazil, but I will see come a WC in 2 years.

I will say that he is the best rated player in Brazil. There are many great players who won't come near 89 nevermind 91. Why are there no bunch of defenders at a decently high rating in Brazil? I don't know, as the league is not on SM par with the other leagues. Getting such a high rating in a place where ratings are so limited is a bit peculiar.

90 was a very good lead for him as a homegrown Brazilian. 91 is a bit too much.

Good luck to him, I await his appearance for whomever. then he can prove his rating right or wrong.[/quote']

on the money.

as i said couple posts earlier, its a league geared to attacking play, backed up with terrible defending.

Regards Neymars 91, compare him to a striker like Fred. plenty of goals again this season, and FLU are top currently. Plenty of pedigree in brazil again after returning home, yet his rating never goes up! so why should Neymar keep rising?!?!

If Fred doesnt hit 89, Damiao 90, and Ganso drop, on top of Neymar hitting 91.......SM needs a new Brazil reviewer.

on the money.

as i said couple posts earlier' date=' its a league geared to attacking play, backed up with terrible defending.

Regards Neymars 91, compare him to a striker like Fred. plenty of goals again this season, and FLU are top currently. Plenty of pedigree in brazil again after returning home, yet his rating never goes up! so why should Neymar keep rising?!?!

If Fred doesnt hit 89, [b']Damiao 90,[/b] and Ganso drop, on top of Neymar hitting 91.......SM needs a new Brazil reviewer.

I will be shocked if Damiao gets more than a +1 which makes this even more comical and OTT.

I will be shocked if Damiao gets more than a +1 which makes this even more comical and OTT.

This is where SM leaves itself open for criticism in my opinion. Not the fact Neymar is a 91 but the fact other players in the same league like Damiao who have similar scoring records probably won't rise to the same rating.

Also regarding who Neymar may play for next, he's rumoured to have a $40m pre-agreement in place with Barcelona to sign in either 2013 or after the 2014 WC.

That said, from what i gather from various sources it's more than just rumours now and that deal is in place. All the Barcelona sources seem to say that there is some sort of penalty in place for Santos if he doesn't join Barca. Not quite sure how much the fee itself is for Neymar but theres a $40m penalty in place if Neymar joins someone other than Barca. Strange situation.

91 is fair. A little shocked to see a few of the regulars disagree.

Oscar is a huge talent, he did well in Brazil but to me he has actually made Europe seem easier. He, alongside Neymar and Damiao and Hulk are huge talents and start ahead of a lot of talent for the NT and its not as if Hulk (the 91) is carrying these guys. Isn't it obvious that Neymar will be a hit in Europe, just as it is with Damiao too?

The guys deciding the ratings shouldn't have to be shown that they can do it in Europe when the talent is so obvious in a few players.

I actually hate that leagues dictate the rating, in cases.

Show me where these league 'caps' are published. Pure **, and if there is such a thing then the caps can clearly go up or down. So in effect there is no cap.

Another point made by others - the Brazilian league is getting stronger. They are attracting players and retaining quality players through bigger wages.

Neymar can achieve more than 91 even in Brazil. I'll bet he's 92 by the the time he goes to the World Cup...

This is where SM leaves itself open for criticism in my opinion. Not the fact Neymar is a 91 but the fact other players in the same league like Damiao who have similar scoring records probably won't rise to the same rating.

Also regarding who Neymar may play for next' date=' he's rumoured to have a $40m pre-agreement in place with Barcelona to sign in either 2013 or after the 2014 WC.

That said, from what i gather from various sources it's more than just rumours now and that deal is in place. All the Barcelona sources seem to say that there is some sort of penalty in place for Santos if he doesn't join Barca. Not quite sure how much the fee itself is for Neymar but theres a $40m penalty in place if Neymar joins someone other than Barca. Strange situation.[/quote']

same as how they raised hazard to 92 in ligue 1?