The Transfer List Problem- Solution?

mythdunk

As we know the object of Soccer Manager is to give as realistic as possible a simulation of the real world of football management. And yet when it comes to the transfer of players, SM falls short. Simply put, when it comes to having a lot of cash to spend, the average manager discovers it is next to impossible to persuade a fellow manager to part with a top player however good the cash offer is. What might work is a new player ratings system which might allow for more flexibility in the transfer system.

My proposal is new ratings bands. I will use Lionel Messi for example. Under the current setup let us say Messi is rated 99. Under my system he would be rated 95-99. Other ratings bands could be 90-94, 85-89, 80-84, etc.

Soccer Manager could continue to rate players in the manner they do now and continue to update players ratings both up and down. However, the actual rating would be hidden from managers. Using Messi as an example, all the manager would know is that Messi's true rating is between 95-99.

Under the current format, if Messi belonged to manager A and received a cash bid from manager B, it would automatically get turned down as manager A would quite rightly say why would I sell a player rated 99? Under my format if a cash offer was received, manager A might have a personal opinion that Messi was rated as 95 in the 95-99 band (okay maybe Messi wasn't the best example to use but you should still get the gist of the idea) and if manager B rates him as a 99 player and makes a suitable cash offer for a 99 rated player then this transfer may well be accepted.

I feel this system would allow for greater flexibility and movement of players in soccer manager which would mirror how the real football world works. In my example, manager A is happy as he thinks he has received excessive cash for what he thinks the player is rated and manager B is also happy as he thinks he has paid what the player is rated. And just like the real football world, only time would tell who was right in the end!

It's just an idea and probably nothing will come of it but I'm curious to know if other managers out there support the idea.

Ps.. If the SM administrators love the idea and wish to reward me then I'll gladly take the next available Gold Championship Barcelona side going. Ha!!!

Re: The Transfer List Problem- Solution?

As we know the object of Soccer Manager is to give as realistic as possible a simulation of the real world of football management. And yet when it comes to the transfer of players' date=' SM falls short. Simply put, when it comes to having a lot of cash to spend, the average manager discovers it is next to impossible to persuade a fellow manager to part with a top player however good the cash offer is. What might work is a new player ratings system which might allow for more flexibility in the transfer system.

My proposal is new ratings bands. I will use Lionel Messi for example. Under the current setup let us say Messi is rated 99. Under my system he would be rated 95-99. Other ratings bands could be 90-94, 85-89, 80-84, etc.

Soccer Manager could continue to rate players in the manner they do now and continue to update players ratings both up and down. However, the actual rating would be hidden from managers. Using Messi as an example, all the manager would know is that Messi's true rating is between 95-99.

Under the current format, if Messi belonged to manager A and received a cash bid from manager B, it would automatically get turned down as manager A would quite rightly say why would I sell a player rated 99? Under my format if a cash offer was received, manager A might have a personal opinion that Messi was rated as 95 in the 95-99 band (okay maybe Messi wasn't the best example to use but you should still get the gist of the idea) and if manager B rates him as a 99 player and makes a suitable cash offer for a 99 rated player then this transfer may well be accepted.

I feel this system would allow for greater flexibility and movement of players in soccer manager which would mirror how the real football world works. In my example, manager A is happy as he thinks he has received excessive cash for what he thinks the player is rated and manager B is also happy as he thinks he has paid what the player is rated. And just like the real football world, only time would tell who was right in the end!

It's just an idea and probably nothing will come of it but I'm curious to know if other managers out there support the idea.

Ps.. If the SM administrators love the idea and wish to reward me then I'll gladly take the next available Gold Championship Barcelona side going. Ha!!![/quote']

This is actually a very good idea and also reminds me a bit of the Football Manager attribute masking. It really depends on how you would create these bands. For example, if we have David Luiz or any other 90 rated player, I'm assuming they would be in a band of 90-93 or something, and then it could be seen as managers seeking inflated prices that would definitely involve players exchange. As good as an idea it may be, it doesn't necessarily create leeway for cash to be used, but a chance for some managers to demand more for their players as they now may be seen as more valuable. With rating bands, a player is placed in a category where the ratings are more than his actual attribute (IE a 90 rated player placed in 90-93, or even an 85 rated player placed in 85-89)... This allows managers to initially and automatically assume that their player is the highest in that category which would consequently lead to disagreements, arguments and an over inflated transfer market.

We can't also forget the fact that it is player ratings that separates individuals from each other as well as having an effect on the match engine. Not only that, but very youth player introduced will be extremely highly rated.

Nevertheless, despite the background of the idea and the intentions of giving cash some importance; Every SM player pretty much knows the ratings of the most elite players and so introducing this would be ineffective. I think that, in regards to cash in GWs, it's up to the nature of the manager. There is no law where managers must accept player exchanges only and so if you meet the right manager, you could be in luck ;)

It wouldn't tempt me to part with Messi...cause no matter what rating, 95, 96, 97, 98 or 99 it's Messi and everybody knows how good he is....in fact most managers already know who the best players are...also I very much doubt the game engine is sophisticated enough to differentiate a players performance to a single point...just my opinion. :)

It wouldn't tempt me to part with Messi...cause no matter what rating' date=' 95, 96, 97, 98 or 99 it's Messi and everybody knows how good he is....in fact most managers already know who the best players are...also I very much doubt the game engine is sophisticated enough to differentiate a players performance to a single point...just my opinion. :)[/quote']

Totally agree, its hard to buy any sort of player in this game, no matter what the rating is especially because youth players have been hyped up big time and some managers are looking to the future. Neymar is 90, but still nobody will sell for cash in a competitive game world, heck nobody will sell someone like Verratti for cash in a competitive game world.

This would mean no visual rating changes for example 90-92 band, if it were 3 groups of ratings 90-91-92 or 4 90-91-92-93, it would mean there would be noting to discuss for the community with regards player ratings as we' wouldn't have there actuall rating.. and the first rating change (with masking) any changes after this would have us all in loops :P

Concept is out there but to use this on SM or to try change the game like this to try get people to sell for cash is nonsence & reducing community input would not be good.

if this feature was introduced would you sell ozil just because his rating was masked :/ or because others were selling for cash :/ i wouldn't

Cash is used to build teams, once a team is built to build further you use the effective and enjoyable p/e system.

All the time (years) i here this won't sell for cash malark, the reality is if you were able to implement such a feature it would have an effect on p/e which would be horrible.

Cash only* for players 91+ should be banned tbh not be enforced/made possible.

123abc

why do you want people to sell neymar for cash, when you buy neymar on SM your effectivly buying a 95/96+* rated player, can't even be bothered to offer another two 90's for him? or even better.

inEC I sold a 96 & a 94 for 2 89's and 2 90's. puyol/alonso both players have years in SM terms with a high rating, if you want neymar who in SM terms at this time is not so usefull becasue he's a 90 rated forward.. in alot of teams he just getting unhappy you'll still have to offer something favourable to another manager, wether it's higher rated players, or future prospects in different posisitions.

In terms of enjoyment accepting cash only for a player is just not fun, giving other players the other manager needs is what its all about.

Think about the other team your buying off, whats his tactics/formation, his current squad(Strenghts/Weaknesses)do you or him have too much strenght in a particular posisition(use this to your advantage) does he personly like any of your players (ask him) etc etc etc

enforcing cash deals (impossible/doubt ever happen, careful shels :) would ruin the game as no-one will offer you other players anymore, and if they did it would not likly be more favourable to you as the selling team, than it is now.

in the real world cash is needed by clubs for many reasons, supporting the whole clubs costs wehter its coaches at every age level or taxs must be paid.. but still when a club sells a player they still need another player lined up to replace that player.. if i wanted neymar.. the other club before selling to me would have to agree a deal with another manager first, p/e direct does that job.

Simply find a player to exchange to get neymar, if you don't have such a player now.

i would vote for colour ratings rather than number ratings tbh.

i have been here for a couple of months and i dont really bother with managed clubs for transfers, a manager tried to make me pay 35mil for vertonghen and it just put me off so i go for external risers.

maybe its just me but in one EC, Gameiro is playing up and although he is a 90 rated player, i have a 18YO 75 rated Cf ahead of him and have put him up for transfer. so maybe SM could put in a preferred formation/style of play like UT, so managers that dont fit the player will have to either sell or face their funds being eaten by deadweight players

It sounds good, but no. Then people will have a serious problem purchasing youth team members (which is how I make money);). A lot of the times also, 88 players won't get upped by 5, so there's no knowing whether a player has a higher rating. Plus, this is meant to simulate real life. Although the only difference is there is no release cause, your supposed to bid for sometimes twice a players value and a youth team member/replacement to convince the current manager to part ways. Like the game world I'm in, falcao is already purchased. I know the manager wouldn't part ways with him for anything worth less then double what falcao is worth, so I'm thinking I'd give him my tevez and juanmi which also frees up wage space for me to sign Vermaelen. The idea is to build your team around 88-90s, then have one or two big stars and a youth team member for each position as a backup. Zenit signed Hulk and Witsel for 40m each. Are they worth that much? Not really, are they worth half that much? Not even in my opinion because they play in the primeira liga but you have to give incentive to sign.

I'd like to be able to bid for 2 players from the same team, in exchange for 1 of my own (obviously providing my 1 player is worth the equivilent of the 2 I'm bidding for). I know you can do this when making a counter offer, but it would be nice to do it outright, with External clubs.

I agree the transfer system in SM can make buying and selling very stale. But I wouldn't say that by banding the players differently we will get transfers going.

In theory it will give managers more incentive to transfer players in and out, but to be very honest, judging by how people play the game today (i.e. hog players and neverletgo), the impact would be minimal. In fact, it might backfire and shift the game towards transferring players who are more reputable instead of players who are better. This is especially so when it comes to youths and newer, less established players.

Personally, I think that the way SM is, it is near impossible to avoid the current movement (or lack thereof) in Game Worlds. Players are not individualized enough for managers to want to swap out their good players. In FM, players have multiple attributes (eg. crossing, tackling, passing, heading, shooting, agility) which suits many different forms of play. But we have to face the fact that in SM, a manager only has one key thing to judge his players by: Rating. A 90 rated player will perform just as good as another 90 player. I do concede there may be some slight differences in performances, but that is really negligible. Nothing big enough to impact the different styles of play and formations etc and drive managers to search for players who suit their playing style rather than players who are highly rated.

While SM has its limitations and this issue will probably never be fixed, it is nice to know people are actually considering the issue. :D

Personally' date=' I think that the way SM is, it is near impossible to avoid the current movement (or lack thereof) in Game Worlds. Players are not individualized enough for managers to want to swap out their good players. In FM, players have multiple attributes (eg. crossing, tackling, passing, heading, shooting, agility) which suits many different forms of play. But we have to face the fact that in SM, a manager only has one key thing to judge his players by: Rating. A 90 rated player will perform just as good as another 90 player. I do concede there may be some slight differences in performances, but that is really negligible. Nothing big enough to impact the different styles of play and formations etc and drive managers to search for players who suit their playing style rather than players who are highly rated.

While SM has its limitations and this issue will probably never be fixed, it is nice to know people are actually considering the issue. :D[/quote']

This is a very good post and 100% accurate. If SM were to involve factors like the above, it would widen things up a bit. There's no way that's happening though. So I think the current system is here to stay.