The Random Thread

Safir

I have no patience for popular American sports.

I used to love the NBA' date=' but there were too many breaks... :o[/quote']

Yah! I hate the breaks, but that game was all in one stretch on Youtube :D

One thing that always bothered me about SM, and something that arampage mentioned a long time ago, was that all squads in the end ended up with the same players in the end. So the way I want to address it is to create a list that has 5-10x more players than I intend to buy, consisting of players of acceptable rating and price to me, and then enter these names into a random generator, so each team becomes different! And if I ever face really abnormal competition for a marginal player, I can just draw a new name :D. I'm pretty comfortable with roughly 88 rated teams, and players around that rating are usually abundantly available even in crowded gameworlds, so this could be implemented, and so keep the game fun!

Yah! I hate the breaks' date=' but that game was all in one stretch on Youtube :D

One thing that always bothered me about SM, and something that arampage mentioned a long time ago, was that all squads in the end ended up with the same players in the end. So the way I want to address it is to create a list that has 5-10x more players than I intend to buy, consisting of players of acceptable rating and price to me, and then enter these names into a random generator, so each team becomes different! And if I ever face really abnormal competition for a marginal player, I can just draw a new name :D. I'm pretty comfortable with roughly 88 rated teams, and players around that rating are usually abundantly available even in crowded gameworlds, so this could be implemented, and so keep the game fun!

[/quote']

You can watch deferred matches on Youtube?

Yup, the concept of your GW was carefully thought.

I wanted to make sure there were plenty of good players avaialble for everybody, season after season.

And, most important, this concept is designed to keep the setup fresh and interesting for as long as possible. ;)

If you allow people to buy the best players in the first seasons, it's likely that the GW will become boring a while after.

EDIT: I miss arampage, Zlook, Villa, Hazard, Phil Brooks, etc. :(

The only one I'm able to keep in touch with is Zlook, through Facebook.

I have no way to keep in touch with the others. :/

You can watch deferred matches on Youtube?

Yup' date=' the concept of your GW was carefully thought.

I wanted to make sure there were plenty of good players avaialble for everybody, season after season.

And, most important, this concept is designed to keep the setup fresh and interesting for as long as possible. ;)

If you allow people to buy the best players in the first seasons, it's likely that the GW will become boring a while after.

EDIT: I miss arampage, Zlook, Villa, Hazard, Phil Brooks, etc. :(

The only one I'm able to keep in touch with is Zlook, through Facebook.

I have no way to keep in touch with the others. :/[/quote']

I found a few old games like these!

ToXGQidPVns

Yah! I had in mind how to keep non-forumer setups interesting though. With lots of people it gets easier to create an interesting setup but with empty gameworlds I have to think of something fun to do

I miss the old crowd too! Especially arampage always had lots of interesting thoughts to share

Btw, it's definitely your setup as much as it's mine, and probably more! :D

I found a few old games like these!

ToXGQidPVns

Yah! I had in mind how to keep non-forumer setups interesting though. With lots of people it gets easier to create an interesting setup but with empty gameworlds I have to think of something fun to do

I miss the old crowd too! Especially arampage always had lots of interesting thoughts to share

Btw' date=' it's definitely your setup as much as it's mine, and probably more! :D[/quote']

I tried watching NFL matches, but I didn't manage to understand all the rules.

And the interruptions are a pain in the ass, of course. :o

Even more important than lots of managers is reliable managers, mate.

Setups with plenty of managers sure are fun.

However, the reliability of the managers is at least as important as the concept itself. :)

But as custom GWs are concerned, the less managers the better imo.

Cuz it's easier to replace potential quitters.

The old crowd was great, each in their own way.

The made the forum - and especially this thread - super interesting.

Cheers, but it's your setup, mate.

I'm just happy to contribute and be a part of it.

I tried watching NFL matches' date=' but I didn't manage to understand all the rules.

And the interruptions are a pain in the ass, of course. :o

Even more important than lots of managers is reliable managers, mate.

Setups with plenty of managers sure are fun.

However, the reliability of the managers is at least as important as the concept itself. :)

But as custom GWs are concerned, the less managers the better imo.

Cuz it's easier to replace potential quitters.

The old crowd was great, each in their own way.

The made the forum - and especially this thread - super interesting.

Cheers, but it's your setup, mate.

I'm just happy to contribute and be a part of it.[/quote']

I don't either, I just try to figure them out along the way as I go :D

Yeah definitely reliability is key. I do also enjoy fiddling with tactics and squads sometimes :)

Nope, you're deep in it now, no escaping it :P

I don't either' date=' I just try to figure them out along the way as I go :D

Yeah definitely reliability is key. I do also enjoy fiddling with tactics and squads sometimes :)

Nope, you're deep in it now, no escaping it :P[/quote']

I tried doing that for a while, but it just got to a point where had no way of understanding all the rules. :o

I can only blame myself tho, coz I could always google American football rules. :P

Me too. I especially enjoy squad rotation and counter-formations. :)

And cheers! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Some football thoughts here

European football games in legitimate western countries are just too close. Coaching is good, and favorites aren't big enough favorites or as big as people think. Finnish champions HJK and by far the biggest club in the country just got crushed by Inter, which is decent but HJK is the giant in our country and just got slapped around by good defending. Even though possession stats were 70-30 in HJK's favor at one point, the whole time Inter and their counter-attacks looked way more dangerous than HJK's unimaginative possession play.

At which point we get to my second point, which is that stats while true almost always, can also lie. HJK had by stats more shots and dangerous attacks and possession and corners and all that junk, but Inter always had the better chances, many of which weren't logged in the stats. Multiple long balls that would've sent the guy through but aren't logged in the stats, but that were closer to goals than anything the possession team with a billion "dangerous attacks" had done. Or a talented guy who used to play for Marseille's academy beating people 1v1 and sending in dangerous crosses that get cleared.

Next case, Lyngby of Denmark leading the league vs nearly bottom-swelling Roskilde, looks like a clear case right? Nope! As of minute 67 Roskilde is leading 1-0....

Then I watch games especially in Asia and Middle East and there the difference between the favorites and the bottom-dwelling teams is absolutely shocking sometimes, 7-0s and all that stuff. South America too if you pick the right leagues. Defensive organization is horrible, goalies make inexplicable idiotic mistakes, huge egos causing absolutely ridiculous red cards, last man fouls, penalties, goalies being mispositioned and all that. Defenses completely failing to mark the man or the zone in corners and crosses and always conceding the most ridiculous goals.

Eastern Europe isn't always much better depending on the league. Watched an earlier game today in the Romanian league where the defending was non-existent and one team probably had 5-10 nearly 1v1 chances against the goalie. It was enough to do a FIFA move of moving wide and doing two diagonal through passes to send the guy semi-clear with an amazing chance to score. Only shocking finishing made sure no goal was scored. At least South Americans would've finished probably 80-90% of those chances.

Only after the 5th attempt or so the attacker realized that you don't always have to shoot it at the goalie but that you can in fact go around him...closest to a goal there and only the horrid pitch made the ball bobble and made the guy hit the crossbar

It all starts from just the way more professional and proper defensive organization in Western European leagues...or at least the ones I've watched, mostly the Northern European ones (including the different UK/Ireland leagues)

PS. Heck, I'd say defending in League Two teams in England was better than what I've seen in several Eastern European and South American premier leagues clubs. 4th tier vs the 1st tier, tsk tsk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers' date=' Jamie!

Shame more familiar "faces", like yours, are nowhere to be seen... :(

The imbecile, responsible for this new layout, has turned the forum into a haunted house. :eek:[/quote']

Real shame, the forum was an outlet and extension to the game for many long time members.

Being older and "uncool" I don't really use social media so the forum for me was the only way to stay in touch with the game and players, seems Twitter is more important to SM these days.

I'm going to try and use it a bit more, see if it will spark into life. I doubt it however, seems way to far gone now.

Real shame' date=' the forum was an outlet and extension to the game for many long time members.

Being older and "uncool" I don't really use social media so the forum for me was the only way to stay in touch with the game and players, seems Twitter is more important to SM these days.

I'm going to try and use it a bit more, see if it will spark into life. I doubt it however, seems way to far gone now. [/quote']

I'm afriad so.

The damage is done, as whoever implemented this layout change couldn't care less about the forumers' overwhelming opinion, regarding this butt-ugly forum look. :o

Hi Jamie great to see your ugly mug again :)

[ATTACH]n5114224[/ATTACH]

Nice too see you too, mate!

I miss the old days, where this forum - and this thread in particular - was on fire, thx to crazy folks like Villa, Zlook or myself. :(

Hey mate' date=' so great to see you!

Your pic doesn't work tho. :P

[/quote']

Likewise mate. :) How've you been anyway?

The image should have worked. I can't see anything wrong with it, so I can only deduce that the forum is dysfunctional.

I miss the old days' date=' where this forum - and this thread in particular - was on fire, thx to crazy folks like Villa, Zlook or myself. :([/quote']

Ahh the good old days. I miss it too. Has anyone kept in touch with those two crazy muppets?

P.S. It's nice to see you two boys as well. :) Btw, congrats on the win yesterday Jamie.

Likewise mate. :) How've you been anyway?

The image should have worked. I can't see anything wrong with it' date=' so I can only deduce that the forum is dysfunctional.

Ahh the good old days. I miss it too. Has anyone kept in touch with those two crazy muppets?

P.S. It's nice to see you two boys as well. :) Btw, congrats on the win yesterday Jamie.[/quote']

I'm fine, my friend, how about you?

I was friends with Villa in 1 or 2 of my SM in-game accounts.

I haven't talked to him for a while now.

I'm friends with Zlook on Facebook and we talked the other day.

• 2 weeks later...