Sign in to follow this  
Safir

The Random Thread

Re: Let's talk about stuff

I hope you find something in your life that means as much as Notre Dame means to Lou Holtz

TMT683qsdTI

This message can be transposed to anything you choose to give value to.

Nice one. I can hear the man believes in what he says.

It's a shame though that most kids in the school won't feel that way.

On the plus side, a good number of the athletes do.

Nice one. I can hear the man believes in what he says.

It's a shame though that most kids in the school won't feel that way.

On the plus side' date=' a good number of the athletes do.[/quote']

Speaking of athletes ..does sport build character or does it expose it. I am inclined to believe the latter.

Speaking of athletes ..does sport build character or does it expose it. I am inclined to believe the latter.

Builds character -- one has to establish amazing habits + have amazing willpower to make it to the top' date=' regardless of cheating or not.

It also exposes character though -- when all is on the line, does the athlete cheat? Quite a lot do if given the opportunity..

Lying in a hotel room alone,aged, penniless-was it worth it ..

GT2ZAyuEyDE&feature=relmfu

Will put on to-watch list :)

Builds character -- one has to establish amazing habits + have amazing willpower to make it to the top' date=' regardless of cheating or not.

It also exposes character though -- when all is on the line, does the athlete cheat? Quite a lot do if given the opportunity..

Will put on to-watch list :)[/quote']

Does it really or did the person have it already/ and it magnifies it

Does it really or did the person have it already/ and it magnifies it

The person had quite a lot -- more than most -- but in order to push themselves to the top, they had to significantly step it up in magnitude.

But I guess just aspects of character (hard work, willpower), and not others. Cheating is still cheating.

The person had quite a lot -- more than most -- but in order to push themselves to the top' date=' they had to significantly step it up in magnitude.

But I guess just aspects of character (hard work, willpower), and not others. Cheating is still cheating.[/quote']

When the Romans wanted to keep their ppl occupied they created the Arena..:P

I dunno still can't figure out why ppl watch WWE a show that is fixed? Is the eye candy?

I dunno still can't figure out why ppl watch WWE a show that is fixed? Is the eye candy?

Eye candy, emotional engagement, imagination (imagining themselves as..).

Some lack logic, others just don't like it

I guess if you treat it as entertainment rather than specifically a sport, it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the TV talent shows are fixed but they still rake in millions of viewers.

Eye candy' date=' emotional engagement, imagination (imagining themselves as..).

Some lack logic, others just don't like it[/quote']

Kidding right?!

I guess if you treat it as entertainment rather than specifically a sport' date=' it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the TV talent shows are fixed but they still rake in millions of viewers.[/quote']

entertainment? Not sure if it still is entertainment-when lads and lasses begin to mimic the shenagins of entertainers one has to wonder.

Can't exp[lain the draw with reality tv either..:(

Kidding right?!

Well, yes and no

Eye candy - for some lonely ladies who are a bit insecure :P

Emotional engagement - some people get really invested in fiction (see twilight)

Imagination - guys who wanna be big and famous and get lots of chicks but can't

Others - And then just a bunch of guy friends showing each other how macho they are in a group

Well' date=' yes and no

Eye candy - for some lonely ladies who are a bit insecure :P

Emotional engagement - some people get really invested in fiction (see twilight)

Imagination - guys who wanna be big and famous and get lots of chicks but can't

Others - And then just a bunch of guy friends showing each other how macho they are in a group[/quote']

:eek: ah so the sport/entertainment does not matter but the need to impress or coalesce with peers does eh..

Anyway poor Tesla..:(

As regards to joining groups etc this makes sense..doesn't it?

A group is defined as “two or more people possessing a common social identification and whose existence as a groupis recognised by a third party” (Brown, 2000). One important account of group identification and conflict comes from uncertainty-identity theory (Hogg 2000; 2007). This holds that people need to feel certain about their world and their place in it. When we feel certain, we feel that existence is meaningful and it gives one confidence in how to behave and what to expect. Uncertainty about one’s attitudes, beliefs, feelings and behaviour is unpleasant (Greco and Roger,2003) because it is ultimately associated with reduced control over one’s life (Hogg, 2000). Uncertainty-identity theory holds that group identification is one of the most effective ways of reducing uncertainty.

http://www.academia.edu/1313109/When_groups_become_extreme_What_can_uncertainty-identity_theory_tell_us_about_fundamentalism

Yeah, people go with the flow, adjust themselves to become like the people around them. It'll make them accepted.

It'll make them somewhat happy on the moment, as they'll have enjoyable moments of camaraderie amongst their friends. Of course those moments might be bad for them (go get wasted every weekend) and other moments may be torture. And once they're 40, broke, and their life in down the toilet, they're not as happy anymore.

But ultimately it's worse since conforming to the qualities of those around you severely limits control over one's life -- there are things you have to do and things you may not do.

Not being part of a group makes many people feel lonely though. It can be reassuring to belong in a group, even if it's with a bunch of heroin addicts.

If one does not know how to deal with challenges in life (feelings of depression, setbacks) by themselves, they may see conforming to a group as the only way to do it. And to be fair, many people in their younger years don't

Not sure if that's true mate..if you question everything might not do well in school

Hahaha ye thats true, teachers hate when they are questioned (quite ironic actually :P).

I think i means more never be to sure of what you think is right.

Hahaha ye thats true' date=' teachers hate when they are questioned (quite ironic actually :P).

I think i means more never be to sure of what you think is right.[/quote']

Yeah they get really ****** when you ask why? How?

Won't that mean you live in constant insecurity since one thought is chained to another?