Freddy Adu on his way to Benfica

Re: Freddy Adu on his way to Benfica

This one really hurts. I knew Freddy would be leaving soon, especially after those great U-20 performances, but Benfica? They're as good as some of the better teams in the MLS. It will hurt even more if Freddy doesn't start right off the bat...a kid that young has to play. Maybe I'm just bitter that he wasn't traded to my New England Revolution though...

This one really hurts. I knew Freddy would be leaving soon' date=' especially after those great U-20 performances, but Benfica? They're as good as some of the better teams in the MLS. It will hurt even more if Freddy doesn't start right off the bat...a kid that young has to play. Maybe I'm just bitter that he wasn't traded to my New England Revolution though...[/quote']

lol Give ya self a slap Benfica a re a Champions league team m8, Full of internationals

Benfica is a quality team don't get me wrong, and maybe I'm underestimating the quality in the Portugese league, but I don't see the jump from MLS as that great an improvement other than the fact that he is in Europe and will play in Champs League. I would have much preferred a transfer to an English or Italian club as previously rumored. This really hurts for the MLS too. They really need to start keeping some of their young talent if they're going to grow. Freddy was a huge draw for the league, although the luster wore off quite a bit in his 4 years with the league. Timing could have been better too...Freddy vs Beckham...what a buildup and event for the league that would have been! Maybe Beckham can pull a few strings and get Giggs to come on over though...that'd help ease the blow.

Well Adu performed very well recently at the tournament in Canada, whatever anybody says, i can't see that moving to Benfica from the MLS is a step-down.

No offence to the American forumers, just that Adu is getting quality european experience, the Portuguese league is full of talent, and he's joined one of the top 2/3 teams in Portugal.

Champions League football can only benefit him, if he's selected of course :D

If he performs well i can see big european clubs closely watching him and luring him away from Portugal, like the likes of Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson and possibly Queresma in the future. :)

well that is a good move for him , he is still young , if he goes to a big team like manu or chelsea or madrid , he wont play and have to adapt to the pressure , so wont improve .look at robinho move from brazil to madrid , and didn't live to expectations , let him be there for 2 or 3 yrs then he will play real football outside. he now needs competitive football experience

well that is a good move for him ' date=' he is still young , if he goes to a big team like manu or chelsea or madrid , he wont play and have to adapt to the pressure , so wont improve .look at robinho move from brazil to madrid , and didn't live to expectations , let him be there for 2 or 3 yrs then he will play real football outside. he now needs competitive football experience[/quote']

I agree totally,making a move to Benfica is correct,imagine he went to Chelsea or Barca??!

Benfica is a quality team don't get me wrong' date=' and maybe I'm underestimating the quality in the Portugese league, but I don't see the jump from MLS as that great an improvement other than the fact that he is in Europe and will play in Champs League. I would have much preferred a transfer to an English or Italian club as previously rumored. This really hurts for the MLS too. They really need to start keeping some of their young talent if they're going to grow. Freddy was a huge draw for the league, although the luster wore off quite a bit in his 4 years with the league. Timing could have been better too...Freddy vs Beckham...what a buildup and event for the league that would have been! Maybe Beckham can pull a few strings and get Giggs to come on over though...that'd help ease the blow.[/quote']

A league with Cobi Jones!!! Who could not cut it in Divison 1 with Coventry at the time?!?!? USA is definately improving. But Portugal is a far better league. Remember it wasn't long ago since Porto won the Champions league!! :)

Adu is a good future signing but Portugal is a big league they have great teams and aren't far behind Italy and Spain etc with class players that is still a quality league. Can't see Adu starting matches TBH

Sorry but the league in Portugal is miles behind Italy and in particular Spain,there's about 12 awful teams in the Portugal top division and I'd question if Benfica,Porto or Sporting would make top 4 in Spain..

Sorry but the league in Portugal is miles behind Italy and in particular Spain' date='there's about 12 awful teams in the Portugal top division and I'd question if Benfica,Porto or Sporting would make top 4 in Spain..[/quote']

Quaresma and Moutinho would beg to differ :P

remember that Porto did win a champions league thanks to help of a great coach so their league isn't that bad

they are all top 10 material in La Liga for sure

Quaresma and Moutinho would beg to differ :P

remember that Porto did win a champions league thanks to help of a great coach so their league isn't that bad

they are all top 10 material in La Liga for sure

Exactly my point yes those 3 clubs are top ten material in those leagues! The rest probably wouldn't be good enough to stay in Spain or Italys top flight,just because Porto,Sporting and Benfica would probably be in the top 10 doesn't make the portugeuse league almost as good as Spain or Italy,it's way behind,and players like Moutinho and over-rated Quaresma won't be there much longer...Do you want me to name all the great players in the Spanish league?? Man I'd be here all day!! Celta Vigo where relegated this season,but they easily make top 4 in portugal,by the way I'm not arguing I'm making a point:)

Portugal ain't a bad league and going back to the thread it's a good move and learning curve for Freddy Adu,but Portugal isn't even close in overall quality..Yes Porto won the Champions League a few years ago,but what have they done since?? Plus nobody else in Portugal has done much in europe in recent years,however Spanish and Italian clubs have.

Exactly my point yes those 3 clubs are top ten material in those leagues! The rest probably wouldn't be good enough to stay in Spain or Italys top flight' date='just because Porto,Sporting and Benfica would probably be in the top 10 doesn't make the portugeuse league almost as good as Spain or Italy,it's way behind,and players like Moutinho and over-rated Quaresma won't be there much longer...Do you want me to name all the great players in the Spanish league?? Man I'd be here all day!! Celta Vigo where relegated this season,but they easily make top 4 in portugal,by the way I'm not arguing I'm making a point:)

Portugal ain't a bad league and going back to the thread it's a good move and learning curve for Freddy Adu,but Portugal isn't even close in overall quality..Yes Porto won the Champions League a few years ago,but what have they done since?? Plus nobody else in Portugal has done much in europe in recent years,however Spanish and Italian clubs have.[/quote']

yes of course Spain and Italy have much more quality sides. Quaresma isn't overrated he is quite amazing but yeah both won't be in Portugal forever. I don't think Celta Vigo would make it to the top four although I'd imagine a team like Espanyol could.

Adu won't have to much to offer for now though

I don't Adu will ever be top class to be honest' date='I dunno about Quaresma I don't see teams like Barca,Chelsea,Real Madrid pushed to sign him,Which 4th team in Portugal would finish above Celta?[/quote']

Beleneses and Braga are the only teams other than the big 3 that I think could beat Celta. It's a little harsh but yes all the other teams would be crap in La Liga but the best teams in Portugal have got class for sure. Quaresma would be a great player in La Liga maybe for a team like Valencia or Sevilla

Beleneses and Braga are the only teams other than the big 3 that I think could beat Celta. It's a little harsh but yes all the other teams would be crap in La Liga but the best teams in Portugal have got class for sure. Quaresma would be a great player in La Liga maybe for a team like Valencia or Sevilla

But Quaresma's already played in La Liga, had a season with Barca. Only scored one goal in 22 games, then after 2004 championships he said he would not play for Barca under Rijkaard.

He was then sold as a player-plus-cash to Porto with Deco moving the other way. :)

So i don't think Barca's gonna come running to sign him. :)

But Quaresma's already played in La Liga' date=' had a season with Barca. Only scored one goal in 22 games, then after 2004 championships he said he would not play for Barca under Rijkaard.

He was then sold as a player-plus-cash to Porto with Deco moving the other way. :)

So i don't think Barca's gonna come running to sign him. :)[/quote']

they might not but Sevilla or Valencia could :D

he is still a good player but is nowhere near as good as C Ronaldo

It was reported that earlier that Freddy Adu is on the verge of signing a 5 year contract with Benfica. Benfica losing Simao earlier in the week' date=' maybe looking for their future to be placed in Adu's hands ;)[/quote']

Of course there are other options but i would like to see him at benfica :D

he will be good in the Portuguese league & has a bright future ahead of him :o

lets just hope he completes his move before tom sinars setup is made with me being benfica :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...