Freddy Adu on his way to Benfica

Re: Freddy Adu on his way to Benfica

Adu not even being able to cut it in our youth academy says just how poor benfica's standards are as far as bringing in new young talent is concerned. But at least we will all get to see just HOW much Freddy can cut it in Europe, no doubt he has the pace - but the strength and stamina? I doubt very much.

Bit harsh Raz, players often fail at a first 'big' club and it doesn't get much bigger than Man Utd.

He has done well in America which is an emerging league if not a great one yet, and he can never make the big time without trying after all...

Be interesting to see if he can cut it. Think Portugal might be a good league for him, as not as fast/strong as the biggest leagues in the world but still a good quality that feeds a lot of major European sides.

Raz, how much of Freddy not being able to cut it with the Man U youth has to do with the fact that he had no intention of signing with them at that time. He didn't want to sign a youth contract with a club which is why he waited until he was 18 y/o to move overseas. He used that oppurtunity to train with United and get a feel for the atmosphere overseas. I highly doubt he brought his best. Also, could there be a little sour grapes that you didn't get him? Freddy proved in the U-20 World Cup the kind of player he is/can be, and now he's got his chance with Benfica.

With as young as Freddy is, and the potential he has, I am glad he got out of the MLS. He needs beter people around him so that he can get better. I cant tell you if Benfica is the right place for him, but he had reached his max playing with people in the MLS. Going to Europe was the right thing for him to do. Unortunately, the Stars of America need to sometime quit leaving so that the MLS can become a more respected league-but that will take a lot of time lol

• 5 weeks later...

He played in their Champions League game against FC KĂžbenhavn a few weeks ago. Didn't play the whole match though, and hasn't featured in any of their subsequent games. Apparently Benfica have been impressed with him though and plan to give him more match time over the coming months. I think it is more likely that the ratings review after next will see a decent rise for him.

This is a deal that is good for both sides. Adu will prove himself a lot in Benfica as he gets chances to play. Benfica will make a bargain from this signing as Adu will be sold for a huge price to one of the big clubs. I personally think Adu should have joined Ajax Amsterdam because Ajax have a better youth training facilities and are famous for making worldclass players like Johan Cruyff and recently Wesley Sneijder and Rafael Van der Vaart.

This is a deal that is good for both sides. Adu will prove himself a lot in Benfica as he gets chances to play. Benfica will make a bargain from this signing as Adu will be sold for a huge price to one of the big clubs. I personally think Adu should have joined Ajax Amsterdam because Ajax have a better youth training facilities and are famous for making worldclass players like Johan Cruyff and recently Wesley Sneijder and Rafael Van der Vaart.

that's a very valid point. Shame that Ajax can't seem to get into the champions league though. Adu could be a sub for Benfica against Milan, that would make things very interesting

• 3 months later...

Has anyone seen much of Benfica this season? I was reading before that Adu now has 5 goals in all competitions, although it seems like a few of them have been in the cup and he has only one start with the rest of his appearances being as a substitute.

Still he is only 18, so it would appear that he is making reasonable progress at the club, but does anyone have any idea of how well he has actually been playing?

Also I am thinking of buying him for one of my teams, do you reckon he would have done enough to warrant a small increase when the Portuguese leagues get reviewed in a few months? I'm not so sure myself as he is already at 81, but even a rise to 82 or 83 would make him a worthwhile signing for now.

Adu has made 8 league appearances for Benfica scoring 2 and has also made a few appearances in various cup competitions including Champions League appearances. He is also a reglar International for the USA, starting against South Africa and coming on as sub in the game against Switzerland. Most of his appearances have been as a sub but he is playing more often than not.

I would say that he does warrant an increase and would say he could easily make 83/84 in the next Portuguese ratings if the current trend of his appearances continues.

hmmm your probably right about his rating, a small increase would seem reasnable. Especially if he is making the US national team on a regular basis.

I wonder if he will ever come close to living up to the hype that was made about him? Still I think going to Benfica was a fairly sensible move for him, it will surely help his development playing in a decent European league.