Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

Not necessarily. Daft to say that only the most talented of footballers cope well with the pressure of a high transfer fee. I think most people would suggest Torres has declined hugely since his pricey move to Chelsea and he was world class in his pomp. Same with Kaka to Real.

That amount of mental strength should be in the arsenal of most elite players.

Anyways' date=' looks like Pardew is more likely to be fired than Moyes...

[url']http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post[/url]

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Makes no sense at all' date=' if Cleverley wasn't good enough, United would have sold him off the moment he graduated from their academy, like most of the others.

The fact that they kept him means that they saw some potential in him. Yes, he's had quite a few bad patches, but he's getting in to some rhythm again, and that is pleasing for any fan to see.

[/quote']

SAF kept hold of Cleverley because and I quote SAF autobiography "the chairman asked me about Cleverley and I said I wanted to see if he could get us 6 goals from midfield, as he did with Wigan".

SAF was pretty awful in his latter years in terms of transfer dealings so saying we kept him because he had potential is useless if his potential was as a 6 goal midfielder with a team scrapping relegation.

250k is enough. Might as well get rid of him if he wants even more tbh.

Yes why not. We could replace him with Naismith with Everton for less money and whilst he may be slighlty short of Rooney's ability at least he will give 100% like Cleverely right??:rolleyes:

At the moment we need all the world class players we can get our hands on, not mid-table rubbish such as Valencia, Young, Cleverley, Anderson, Smalling etc etc etc

That amount of mental strength should be in the arsenal of most elite players.

Anyways' date=' looks like Pardew is more likely to be fired than Moyes...

[url']http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-manager-to-leave-post[/url]

Different kind of mental strength. To be an elite player you need to be able to handle the pressure of top level matches. Moving to a new club is often a new experience to players already dubbed world class and they may or may not be able to handle it.

Moyes won't be fired. United would have to pay off his 6 year contract and they have more pressing areas to spend in :P

I guess we are seeing now just how good Fergie was. Winning titles with this squad must have taken some outstanding motivational skills! Moyes deserves some of the blame for this season with his transfer dealings. He was like my little brother on Fifa14 last summer.. Fabregas.. Fellaini etc... i'm surprised he didn't attempt to swap Rooney for Walcott because 'Walcott has more pace' like my brother did.

But the big problem is under investment. Why is there under investment you might wonder... who is to blame?

http://images.forbes.com/media/lists/10/2009/malcolm-glazer.jpg <--this man

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/18/manchester-united-record-financial-results <--read the subheadings.. yes that is £680M!!!

I guess we are seeing now just how good Fergie was. Winning titles with this squad must have taken some outstanding motivational skills! Moyes deserves some of the blame for this season with his transfer dealings. He was like my little brother on Fifa14 last summer.. Fabregas.. Fellaini etc... i'm surprised he didn't attempt to swap Rooney for Walcott because 'Walcott has more pace' like my brother did.

Whilst I agree with the remarks about SAF, to blame Moyes for the transfer fiasco of the summer is ignorant. Ed Woodward was left in charge of buying and decided to publicly humiliate himself, Moyes and the club with his ' Woodward has left the USA on urgent transfer business etc etc etc'. The Herrera, Fellaini, Baines and Fabregas fiasco's were not down to Moyes, it was merely a former sales executive being way way out of his depth.

As for transfer dealings worth complaining about how about the one where SAF decided to let a half-decent Portuguese forward move to Spain for £80m and then bring in Obertan, Valencia and Owen:rolleyes:

The fact that every man and his dog were saying at the time 'get Robben and/or Sneijder in the deal' shows that SAF latter transfer dealings coupled with the Glazers desire for cash was a load of hullabaloo.

To think that today our midfield 'could' today have consisted (theoretically at least) of Robben, Sneijder, Pogba and possibly Hazard show'sm just how useless those involved at the time were/are.

Yes why not. We could replace him with Naismith with Everton for less money and whilst he may be slighlty short of Rooney's ability at least he will give 100% like Cleverely right??:rolleyes:

At the moment we need all the world class players we can get our hands on' date=' not mid-table rubbish such as Valencia, Young, Cleverley, Anderson, Smalling etc etc etc[/quote']

I honestly don't understand Rooney at all. He's 28, playing at one of the most prestigious clubs in the world and earning a life's worth. If he's going to hold us in ransom, might as well be shown the door. No man is bigger than his club, ask David Beckham.

I honestly don't understand Rooney at all. He's 28' date=' playing at one of the most prestigious clubs in the world and earning a life's worth. If he's going to hold us in ransom, might as well be shown the door. No man is bigger than his club, ask David Beckham.[/quote']

Beckham never thought he was bigger than the club. SAF thought he had become distracted by fame despite his stats suggesting otherwise.

We, as fans of this club should be praising Rooney rather than condemning him. The reason being that he was the first to speak out about our club lacking any real quality and fair play to the lad, he has seen this coming since 2010.

Rooney wants to be winning PL's and competing for the CL, which he would be doing if he had around 8/9 other capable players on the pitch with him.

Whilst I agree with the remarks about SAF' date=' to blame Moyes for the transfer fiasco of the summer is ignorant. Ed Woodward was left in charge of buying and decided to publicly humiliate himself, Moyes and the club with his ' Woodward has left the USA on urgent transfer business etc etc etc'. The Herrera, Fellaini, Baines and Fabregas fiasco's were not down to Moyes, it was merely a former sales executive being way way out of his depth.

As for transfer dealings worth complaining about how about the one where SAF decided to let a half-decent Portuguese forward move to Spain for £80m and then bring in Obertan, Valencia and Owen:rolleyes:

The fact that every man and his dog were saying at the time 'get Robben and/or Sneijder in the deal' shows that SAF latter transfer dealings coupled with the Glazers desire for cash was a load of hullabaloo.

To think that today our midfield 'could' today have consisted (theoretically at least) of Robben, Sneijder, Pogba and possibly Hazard show'sm just how useless those involved at the time were/are.[/quote']

I forgot about Woodward - my bad. But Moyes is an experienced manager he should'nt have allowed it to happen. As far as i know Moyes pointed out the targets and said he wanted Fabregas. Woodward then went to pursue him. Neither of them able to see that it was all the work of an agent who wanted a better contract for his underpaid client. As for Thiago nobody even knows if we were interested fully. Herrera was way overpriced.. more so than Fellaini. He is not that good if you watch la liga regularly.

Fellaini was a panic buy. We have a history of bad investments in the past 15 years or so. Not just Fellaini. Veron. Kleberson. Forlan. Anderson. Hargreaves. Berbatov (i'm a huge fan, but he never justified 32million pricetag). Kagawa (i'm sorry but he has not been good). Young. Just a few i can remember. Some of these players mentioned are undoubtedly world class, but they never worked for us.

One season we had the best attack in the world of Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney... the next only one remained. That was when our squad began its road to rubbish-'ness.

I forgot about Woodward - my bad. But Moyes is an experienced manager he should'nt have allowed it to happen. As far as i know Moyes pointed out the targets and said he wanted Fabregas. Woodward then went to pursue him.

If as a new manager of an 'elite' club you are asked if you would be interested in a deal for Fabregas of course you are going to say Yes. Moyes could see from day 1 that our midfield was tosh' date=' yet Woodward failed to complete any deals apart from paying £4m more for Fellaini than he could have got him for 1 month previously.[/b']

Neither of them able to see that it was all the work of an agent who wanted a better contract for his underpaid client. As for Thiago nobody even knows if we were interested fully. Herrera was way overpriced.. more so than Fellaini. He is not that good if you watch la liga regularly.

Agree.

Fellaini was a panic buy. We have a history of bad investments in the past 15 years or so. Not just Fellaini. Veron. Kleberson. Forlan. Anderson. Hargreaves. Berbatov (i'm a huge fan, but he never justified 32million pricetag). Kagawa (i'm sorry but he has not been good). Young. Just a few i can remember. Some of these players mentioned are undoubtedly world class, but they never worked for us.

Agree again.

One season we had the best attack in the world of Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney... the next only one remained. That was when our squad began its road to rubbish-'ness.

Pretty good post tbh. The irony of the whole issue seems to be that SAF stated that LFC were/are 8 players short of winning the league whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that we ourselves are 8 players short of reaching the top 4.

I honestly don't understand Rooney at all. He's 28' date=' playing at one of the most prestigious clubs in the world and earning a life's worth. If he's going to hold us in ransom, might as well be shown the door. No man is bigger than his club, ask David Beckham.[/quote']

He doesn't care about the club. He could hop over to Chelsea or Real or PSG tomorrow. Prestigious clubs are available. He would earn just as much there. There is no relationship between United and Rooney. He plays for himself, his love of football and maybe money. Rooney doesn't care about Man Utd. At the moment we need Rooney more than he needs us. He happens to be our only world class 'midfielder'.

David never thought he was bigger than the club also.

Right let's sort this club out then...

Looking through our entire first team squad the following player are IMO good enough to keep.

De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Evans (just about) Rooney, Hernandez (top poacher nothing more), Carrick, Welbeck (developing), RVP, Zaha (needs games), Powell (give time), Lingard (interested to see him play) and Januzaj.

Out of those realistically the only ones who will be able to start for us now are

De Gea

Rafael

Jones

Carrick

Rooney

RVP

Januzaj

The rest IMO are good enough/young enough to be back up United squad players.

So IMO we have

De Gea

Rafael Jones (CB) (LB)

Carrick (CM)

(RM) Rooney Januzaj

RVP

We need a 1st choice CB, LB, CMx2 and at least one RM/LM.

Realistically who could we buy that would fill those spots?

So who can we realistically buy to fill those spaces?

Put your answers below

CB -

LB -

CM -

CM -

RM/LM -

Right let's sort this club out then...

Looking through our entire first team squad the following player are IMO good enough to keep.

De Gea' date=' Rafael, Jones, Evans (just about) Rooney, Hernandez (top poacher nothing more), Carrick, Welbeck (developing), RVP, Zaha (needs games), Powell (give time), Lingard (interested to see him play) and Januzaj.

Out of those realistically the only ones who will be able to start for us now are

De Gea

Rafael

Jones

Carrick

Rooney

RVP

Januzaj

The rest IMO are good enough/young enough to be back up United squad players.

So IMO we have

[center']De Gea

Rafael Jones (CB) (LB)

Carrick (CM)

(RM) Rooney Januzaj

RVP[/center]

We need a 1st choice CB, LB, CMx2 and at least one RM/LM.

Realistically who could we buy that would fill those spots?

So who can we realistically buy to fill those spaces?

Put your answers below

CB -

LB -

CM -

CM -

RM/LM -

Realistically,CB-Garay as we've been linked with him quite a lot.

LB-Coentrao

CM-Koke

CM-Cabaye

RM/LM-Cuadrado

We've been linked a lot to the all,bar Cuadrado.I'd love us to get Cuadrado,I just love the lad.

EDIT: We'll end up with Baines and probably another cheap lad anyway :P

CB -Ginter/Zouma(Both would come priced at about the same and would be good players for the team now and secure the position for years to come .

LB - Santon?

CM -Strootman would cost a lot but would be a quality addition

CM -Cabaye/Pjanic

RM/LM - Wesley/Ola John/Mata

i think these could do a job for you

Baines and Cabaye are realistic

Better teams in better positions would be in for Di Maria' date=' can't see Koke or Benatia leaving their respective clubs the way they are currently performing in their respective leagues.[/quote']

I still think the Manchester United brand will be a massive factor in players joining.