Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils thread

So to sum up:

There was probably 4:30 to add on at the end of the game. The ref has stopped the watch for the celebrations and the sub and added that' date=' as well as the additional time, which cannot be shown on the 4th officials board. This accounts for any time "extra" played over the 4mins, celebrations and substitutions and blows away any conspiracy theories surrounding the time added on. :D

So there y'are. B)[/quote']

Trust me, it's been said many times already. But while it's a convenient excuse for City fans and the folks who hate United to be butthurt it won't be taken into account.

On the Rio/Vidic thing, personally I'd take Rio. Yesterday's obviously a rare slip, he's still not built up much match fitness and his lack of games probably contributes to the error, once he gets a run again he'll be fine. He can adapt his game to cope with most strikers in world football on his day, be it a Drogba, Torres or Villa. He's excellent positionally, timing of the tackle is brilliant and he's more than capable aerially or coping with brute strength. Vidic is perfect for this league when you get big physical confrontations, but he's shown he can be vulnerable to real pace or really some excellent cute and clever movement from strikers. He's still top draw, and perfect foil for Rio but he's slightly more limited and easier to get at if you have the tools.

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

I think people are missing the important point in amongst all this, Ferdinand and Vidic are both very good defenders, but it's the partnership that is excellent.

Vidic, as has been mentioned reads the game very well, intercepts balls a lot more often than he's given credit for and will win the majority of balls in the air, as well as being hard as nails.

Ferdinand, probably has the advantage athletically, but that's the price you pay for being the man-mountain that is Vidic. Again, Ferdinand reads the game well, and of the two is probably the more comfortable with the ball at his feet and playing his way out of trouble.

The real plus point is the way they understand each other's games. you watch United play, Vidic anticipates and goes for the headers or the deeper of the oppositions strikers, and Ferdinand reads any errors and does the sweeping up. It's a good marriage, sometimes you can have two excellent CB's playing in the same team, but without that understanding of each other's strengths and playing to those in games, they're not going to be as effective.

Lets not forget, If you look at Chelski when they were dominant, they had a very similar pairing:

Carvalho (Ferdinand)

Terry (Vidic)

It's the unit and not the individuals that are important. Impossible to compare the two, simply because their strengths lie in different areas ;)

If your talking about who you would choose now it would have to be Vidic for me. He was the best centre back in the country last year (in my opinion anyway) and Rio is getting on now and he has the long standing problem with his back too. They have a very good replacement waiting in the wings in Jonny Evans to partner Vidic so Ferdinand can be rested sometimes. I would liken it Ledley King with the amount of games he can play in a short space of time.

I think people are missing the important point in amongst all this' date=' Ferdinand and Vidic are both very good defenders, but it's the partnership that is excellent.

Vidic, as has been mentioned reads the game very well, intercepts balls a lot more often than he's given credit for and will win the majority of balls in the air, as well as being hard as nails.

Ferdinand, probably has the advantage athletically, but that's the price you pay for being the man-mountain that is Vidic. Again, Ferdinand reads the game well, and of the two is probably the more comfortable with the ball at his feet and playing his way out of trouble.

The real plus point is the way they understand each other's games. you watch United play, Vidic anticipates and goes for the headers or the deeper of the oppositions strikers, and Ferdinand reads any errors and does the sweeping up. It's a good marriage, sometimes you can have two excellent CB's playing in the same team, but without that understanding of each other's strengths and playing to those in games, they're not going to be as effective.

Lets not forget, If you look at Chelski when they were dominant, they had a very similar pairing:

Carvalho (Ferdinand)

Terry (Vidic)

It's the unit and not the individuals that are important. Impossible to compare the two, simply because their strengths lie in different areas ;)[/quote']

Craig, you are right when you say these things are more about partnerships than anything else. But even in partnerships, you have the leader and you have the sidekick. In the rio vidic partnership, Vidic attacks the ball, he does the hard manual labour. Ferdinand meanwhile covers, because he is the brain in the defence. He is the one that coordinates everything in that defence. You will often see him calling to vidic, pointing to players he wants vidic to pick up. Now the reason why vidic attacks the ball while rio covers, the reason why it’s in that particular order, is simple. Ferdinand can do a pretty good job attacking the ball as well, but vidic cant cover and read the game anywhere near as good as Ferdinand. For that reason, Ferdinand is the leader in the partnership while vidic the follower, just like baresi was the leader and costacurta the follower in the baresi/costacurta partnership that played in 4 european cup finals.

i don’t want to enforce my idea onto anyone, but that’s generally how these defensive partnerships work. Vidic was nothing particularly special when he came to united, when Ferdinand had already established himself as one of the top centrebacks in world football. Ferdinand makes vidic look as good as he does today. Vidic is the one that needs to hang onto the “partnership” idea to maintain his world class reputation, while Ferdinand is easily world class by his own right. Ferdinand has been recognised as a world class talent since world cup 2002 when ferguson broke the world record for defender to get him from leeds.

I think Ferdinand doesn’t get the credit he deserves in England. I think he is easily the most naturally gifted defender since nesta and maldini. And that in England for some reason, he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. I think it might have something to do with his image, and his apparent “lack of effort” seen by fans as a result of his lazy style. I think this worked against him in many ways, because the English I think have always preferred their centrebacks to be hardmen with lots and lots of scars, who make a lot of sliding tackles....For that reason, it’s clear why vidic is more of a fans favourite among united fans. But if we are to look at things from a purely football point of view, it should be clear that Ferdinand is the more important defender to manutd, while vidic is little more than his sidekick(albeit a very good one, a little overrated tho)

glory hunters are fans that say they support united but cant name a single starting 11 :rolleyes: i dont think Gazza is one' date=' glory supporters is just a way of attacking of people and is pretty sad IMO

Man U showed a big threat from wide balls, with Berba getting close a few times[/quote']

Yh well when u have played sm for as long as most people on here have well they / you will already know Man United's team from playing soccermanager... :confused::rolleyes: makes me laugh

On the Rio/Vidic thing' date=' personally I'd take Rio. Yesterday's obviously a rare slip, he's still not built up much match fitness and his lack of games probably contributes to the error, once he gets a run again he'll be fine. He can adapt his game to cope with most strikers in world football on his day, be it a Drogba, Torres or Villa. He's excellent positionally, timing of the tackle is brilliant and he's more than capable aerially or coping with brute strength. Vidic is perfect for this league when you get big physical confrontations, but he's shown he can be vulnerable to real pace or really some excellent cute and clever movement from strikers. He's still top draw, and perfect foil for Rio but he's slightly more limited and easier to get at if you have the tools.[/quote']

this is a great post. said all the things i want to say but didnt know how to say

players like vidic, terry i.e heavily built tough hard tackling blood and guts centrebacks usually need a more intelligent and tactically adaptable defender playing alongside them. otherwise, by themselves, their limited mobility handicaps them significantly.

IMO the top defenders in the epl, are

1st)a fit ferdinand

2) a happy gallas

3) an european night carragher

then it's terry vs vidic for 4th. when you have a great defender covering for these 2, they come into their elements. But without a quality cover defender, they tend to show a lot of deficiencies. manutd defence without vidic but with ferdinand is still very very good. But if ferdinand is missing, even with vidic, united's defence is often a complete mess.

The match was fantastic and Fergie's post match interview priceless:D

City fans might feel aggrieved but we embarrassed you in the second half. quite lucky we didn't score 5 or 6

Quite Lucky! The only reason why you didn't score 5 or 6 is because you have a lazy Bulgarian Idiot who is an embarrassment to football. Luck has nothing to do with it!

Quite Lucky! The only reason why you didn't score 5 or 6 is because you have a lazy Bulgarian Idiot who is an embarrassment to football. Luck has nothing to do with it!

Berba is Lazy but my god he has some classy touches. And The Plain and simple reason as to why we didn't score 5 or 6 was

Shay Given - The Best keeper in the Prem.

Now, yet again, you choose to come on here and berate our players. Why not mention the fact your 'keeper played a blinder, despite letting in 4 and made two very good saves from Berba, on top of a couple from Giggs also. But no, you choose the childish and idiotic route to go down. Go and be a bitter Bertie Magoo on your own thread if there's nothing constructive to say on here or nothing that adds anything to the debates at hand or this thread in general B)

Fergie was right, small club - small mentality, you summed that up in that last post.

AND.... we could go down the route of the Argentinian plank who should have put you ahead but missed from 12 yards out....... but we won't :rolleyes:

Now' date=' yet again, you choose to come on here and berate our players. Why not mention the fact your 'keeper played a blinder, despite letting in 4 and made two very good saves from Berba, on top of a couple from Giggs also. But no, you choose the childish and idiotic route to go down. Go and be a bitter Bertie Magoo on your own thread if there's nothing constructive to say on here or nothing that adds anything to the debates at hand or this thread in general B)

Fergie was right, small club - small mentality, you summed that up in that last post.

AND.... we could go down the route of the Argentinian plank who should have put you ahead but missed from 12 yards out....... but we won't :rolleyes:[/quote']

If we're such a small club then how come you couldn't beat us in normal or extra time, the only way you beat us was through the extra few minutes Fergie the ref bully gets. Given is a quality keeper much better than your embarrassment at the other end. Who all United fans seem to say he is class and should be England number 1.

I am proud to support City the future is bright with the billions from our owners and our great youth setup. Unlike your team who tells most of your youth squad to get lost. As for all that money you are in debt and your legendary owners. The future looks bleak. But the good news for you is all your glory hunting fans will all leave and look for another club to support!

By the way calling Tevez a plank is a act of jealousy. Last year you were worshipping him now just because he is at City you all make nasty jibes about him!

If we're such a small club then how come you couldn't beat us in normal or extra time' date=' the only way you beat us was through the extra few minutes Fergie the ref bully gets. Given is a quality keeper much better than your embarrassment at the other end. Who all United fans seem to say he is class and should be England number 1.[/quote']

I can remember writing on this thread ages ago sayin that foster isnt good enough to step up to uniteds first team. but are you forgetting we still have VDS? and if he was in the net yesterday you wouldnt of scored 2 of your 3 goals IMO. and yes. i agree. given is an excellent keeper. always thought it . always will. no matter who he plays for :)

I am proud to support City the future is bright with the billions from our owners and our great youth setup. Unlike your team who tells most of your youth squad to F off. As for all that money you are in debt and your legendary owners. The future looks bleak. But the good news for you is all your glory hunting fans will all leave and look for another club to support!

We tell our youth squad to get lost? says the club thats sold most of there young british players in the summer. Ched evans? Sturridge. ect ect. all looked promosing. but you sold them because you are bringin in more established players. IMO i feel united are one of the best teams for PRODUCING young players. if we sell them its for thier own good.

By the way calling Tevez a plank is a act of jealousy. Last year you were worshipping him now just because he is at City you all make nasty jibes about him!

Tevez was amazing for united in his first season. last season if you took his work rate off him. he would of been an average player. hence why he plays for an average team now :)

If we're such a small club then how come you couldn't beat us in normal or extra time' date=' the only way you beat us was through the extra few minutes Fergie the ref bully gets.[/quote']

This was explained by me earlier, if the 4th official put's a board up with "4" on it, it means anywhere between 4:00 and 4:59 of added on time, but a MINIMUM of 4:00. Simples.

Given is a quality keeper much better than your embarrassment at the other end. Who all United fans seem to say he is class and should be England number 1.

Not denying the Given point' date=' but we know Foster ain't no Casillas - we're not that delusional.

I am proud to support City the future is bright with the billions from our owners and our great youth setup. Unlike your team who tells most of your youth squad to F off.

Neville x 2, Butt, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Evans, Fletcher, Gibson, Welbeck - and I can go on. BTW, where was Ched Evans and Danny Sturridge in yesterday's squad? :rolleyes: Even the best player to come out of your academy in the last 10 years (SWP) you flogged at the earliest opportunity. And, I dare say the Citeh academy will rarely produce players now as there'll be a ready-made £20m player in each position.

As for all that money you are in debt and your legendary owners. The future looks bleak. But the good news for you is all your glory hunting fans will all leave and look for another club to support!

Small mentality again there me old mucker - Chelsea tried the same thing a couple of years back' date=' it worked for a couple of years, but the gap was closed and now we've won 2 on the bounce.

We all appreciate what he did, and I only mentioned that because you'd decided to give Berba stick for the same reason, jealousy, he rejected your lot to sign for us.

prikee why are you so sad go on man u's thread and try top start an argument i remember a mod saying that was not allowed in an announcement a couple of weeks ago. stay on the thread for the other half.

plus, i don't know why your getting on foster's back so much he had this one bad game. people seem to forget his great save last week against jenas that could have affected the result and his top save against van persie that also could have affected the game!

Neville x 2' date=' Butt, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Evans, Fletcher, Gibson, Welbeck - and I can go on. BTW, where was Ched Evans and Danny Sturridge in yesterday's squad? :rolleyes: Even the best player to come out of your academy in the last 10 years (SWP) you flogged at the earliest opportunity. And, I dare say the Citeh academy will rarely produce players now as there'll be a ready-made £20m player in each position.

[/quote']

get told prikee lol (Y)!!!:):P

I am proud to support City the future is bright with the billions from our owners and our great youth setup.

so basically you're proud to support a club that is massively dependent on the owners, is nowhere near self-sufficient and has a decent, not great (a la barca) youth setup who've produced 2 very good players (ireland, swp) and the best one of all from the youth setup has gone to pot because of the lack of discipline in the club and he's got hideously out of shape

LMAO why one earth am I jealous of Berbatov!!!! He is a joke I would rather we bought Darius Vassell back to play for us than that JOKE!!!!

Sturridge left because City refused to give him high wages and he can go to Chelsea, I aint going to cry about it! Evans was no way near good enough for the Prem! But we still have produced great players, SWP, Ireland, Weiss, Johnson, Onouha, Richards and Joe Hart! Anyway most of your recent youth players were stolen from Italian clubs! Yes Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles have all been quality but that generation is coming to an end and apart from Wellbeck there aint any good Brittish players coming up into your team!

And Hally that is amazing Foster has made a save!!!! Get over it!!! It was because of him you lost the Charity Shield!!!!

Burs I assume you are talking about Barton. Watch some football it obviosly isn't one of your strongest topics if you think Barton is our best player!

If we're such a small club then how come you couldn't beat us in normal or extra time' date=' the only way you beat us was through the extra few minutes Fergie the ref bully gets. Given is a quality keeper much better than your embarrassment at the other end. Who all United fans seem to say he is class and should be England number 1.

I am proud to support City the future is bright with the billions from our owners and our great youth setup. Unlike your team who tells most of your youth squad to get lost. As for all that money you are in debt and your legendary owners. The future looks bleak. But the good news for you is all your glory hunting fans will all leave and look for another club to support!

By the way calling Tevez a plank is a act of jealousy. Last year you were worshipping him now just because he is at City you all make nasty jibes about him![/quote']

You are the most deluded and bitter fan i think iv ever come across, infact you have taken over from Motty ( conincedance that he too is a city fan ? )

1) Are you saying to be a small club United HAVE to beat in you in extra time, football is not as simple as that . . . .

2) Great youth . . . its fairly succesful but that will go down the pan now, why bother in the academy when you can raid a another club with your dirty money

3) Your not a small club but yout not as big as you think you are, you dont even have a rich history. ( dont say you do, because i will proove you dont ). Being rich or rather your owners being rich doesnt make you a big club :rolleyes:

4) haha Unitds future looking bleak, they make the most money in world football along with R.Madrid, they are in alot of debt, but wont be for ever, and still have the ability to spend big money

5) He is a plank, he left the worlds best team to you, for the money.

6) can you answer this post, as not one man city fan has,

Im going to spell something out to all you bitter' date=' disgruntled, egg on your face Manchester City fans who have had finally come back into reality :) aka fell of your perch ;) , or boots got to big for you etc etc so on, so forth . . . you get the pic.

[b']Man Utd Goals 4[/b]

Man City goals 3

Man Utd shots on target 8

Man City shots on target 4

Man Utd shots off target 10

Man City shots off target 4

Man Utd corners 11

Man City corners 1

Man Utd possession 59.5

Man City possession 40.5

Man Utd pass (%) completed 78.9

Man City pass (%) completed 72.4

Man Utd terrotorial advantage 64.1

Man City terrotorial advantage 35.9

Man Utd Tackle success 85.7

Man City tackle success 69.2

Now considering any old person can read clear facts ( taken from sky sports ), It reads Manchester Utd 8-0 on vital game statistics.

You were out played, you did well but you were lucky as heck to be in that situation, you were beaten by a better team :confused:

Yes its a derby and your upset, but seriously dont go making scandolous accusations like " we were robbed" btw LMAO at those comments :D

You werent, it would of been a robbery if it ended 3-3

Oh and its a minimum of 4 minutes as its been mentioned, i suggest you read the rule books, and considering Bellamys celebration took at least 45 seconds and then the sub, the ref was entitled to add the extra minutes and United scored 1.20 after the alloted four minutes, so mentioning this 7 minutes is stupid as you were given time to get something back :confused:

I know its frustrating but you look like childish brats . . . . oh wait

EDIT: i dont like Utd or City ;)