Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

United fans talking about buying players AGAIN?

I thought the United way was to bring through youngsters blah blah blah

Guess you guys want to now BUY your way back to the top of the table now?

That was the United way under Sir Alex Ian' date=' perhaps it still will be from time to time with Moyes, but for now its full steam ahead with buying and building.[/color']

That was the United way under Sir Alex Ian' date=' perhaps it still will be from time to time with Moyes, but for now its full steam ahead with buying and building.[/color']

Yeah except it really wasnt, you had 1 generation of amazing players, but other than that I'm pretty sure he spent his fair share.

Nani (15mil)

Veron (28mil)

Rio (27mil)

Rooney (28mil)

RVP (22mil)

Anderson (15mil)

De Gea (18mil)

Young (18mil)

Michael Carrick (18mil)

Hargreaves (17mil)

Berbatov (30mil)

Valencia (16mil)

Van Nistelrooy (19mil)

Jones (17mil)

Zaha (15mil)

That is just a few, obviously there are more like Barthez, Bebe, York, Stam, Cole, Evra, Vidic, Forlan, Ronaldo, Smith, Saha, Heinze, Smalling, Kagawa

Man Utd have spent millions upon millions to keep there success going over the years and other teams at the time just could not match it until Chelsea and City came along and then (some) Utd fans go nuts and use all sorts of excuses.

The the fact is without the insane amounts spent above you would have never been able to do what you have and dominate English football, just because you managed to have some success with an amazing batch of youngsters for a cpl of seasons does not give you reason to be able to spend millions on players season after season then go crazy just because City and Chelsea have done exactly the same but just in a shorter space of time.

Obviously both clubs had to do that to catch the millions Utd had spent, they was wayyyyyyy behind.

They can hardly say 'you know what lets do it over a few seasons instead because its not fair that we close the gulf on Man Utd so fast'

When you think about it, those 2 are just doing to you what you did to the likes of Arsenal, they was having success before you blew them away with your spending power.

When it comes to 'Spending millions', for me (some) Man Utd fans just ignore the facts and like to think of any excuse to avoid the truth.

again... obviously this is not all Utd fans.

Manchester United signed 104 players whilst Ferguson was in charge...that's an average of about 4* new players per season. (*3.85)

Or...8 new signing for every league title won.

Or...52 new signings for every European Cup won.

I wonder how many Man United youth players came ALL the way through the academy**, graduated to the first team AND played enough league games to be eligible for a league winners medal?

**not including players like Beckham or Adnan Janujai who were brought in from other teams youth policies.

Give it up guys. Even after many of you have supplemented your opinion with fact (even some Man Utd fans) you are still preaching to the ignorant in Tony and Talentsearcher.

Agreed but I genuinely wasn't fishing, pretty amazed by some of those prices.

Man Utd top 10 buys = £262mil - since 01

Man City top 10 buys - £325.5mil - since got taken over

Chelsea top 10 buys - £277.5mil - since got taken over

Benitez would say Fact

Doesn't account for the inflation, if you accounted for inflation on the stats United's would be far higher than the other two.

Agreed but I genuinely wasn't fishing' date=' pretty amazed by some of those prices.[/quote']

Well just look at the list Neller posted. Others have also stated and rightly so that prior to City and Chelsea being taken over by billionaires it was United who were splashing the cash hand over fist, which has seemingly been ignored and/or fallen on deaf ears.

It was United who kept breaking transfer records, and spent an abundance of cash to keep ahead of the game and only had the one golden era for bringing through youth, still never stopped them out spending there rivals.

Some people are just not prepared to look at things objectively.

Was looking through the transfers Utd have made and couldn't believe some of the fees;

Jones - £17m

Young - £17m

Hargreaves - £17m

Valencia - £16m

Zaha - £15m

Anderson - £15m

Smalling - £10m

(source - transferleague)

Add to those fees the fact that Smalling hadnt played a game for Fulham when United bought him and Zaha had played only as high as Championship level..

Just staggering

Add to those fees the fact that Smalling hadnt played a game for Fulham when United bought him and Zaha had played only as high as Championship level..

Just staggering

That's not correct though I'm afraid.

But still, we have paid some daft fee's over the years, although some that have been listed are not necessarily correct. For example, the Smalling fee was undisclosed and believed to have been around the £7m mark.

Zaha was just a complete waste of money. Sir Alex completely lost the plot in regards to transfers a good few years before he retired.

But any United fan claiming that we've not spent heavily over the years is talking absolute nonsense.

That's not correct though I'm afraid.

But still' date=' we have paid some daft fee's over the years, although some that have been listed are not necessarily correct. For example, the Smalling fee was undisclosed and believed to have been around the £7m mark.

Zaha was just a complete waste of money. Sir Alex completely lost the plot in regards to transfers a good few years before he retired.

But any United fan claiming that we've not spent heavily over the years is talking absolute nonsense.[/quote']

My mistake - I thought from memory he hadn't made an appearance. When the deal was made in January he had mane nine appearances to date.

My mistake - I thought from memory he hadn't made an appearance. When the deal was made in January he had mane nine appearances to date.

Something like that, matters not anyway. Still, the facts are there for all to see on our spending over the years.

Why it's even a talking point, I don't know.

If you want to be successful or continue with success, spending big is usually the way to achieve that. Why wouldn't clubs spend big when they have the spending power to do so?

Scholes is genuinely interesting to listen too, offers so much insight and is quite to the point about what's going on at the club.

You can kind of here a bit of Ferguson in him tactically, about pressuring Yaya and putting balls behind Demichelis even if Rooney isn't there just to make him work, playing Valencia, ignoring Kompany out of the have etc.