Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

I was hoping to see a Adam le Fondre type of mould' date=' obviously not :D[/quote']

You never know he could surprise us all but I wouldn't hold too much hope.

He should be decent enough at that level though but he has definitely lost his way.

Anybody over here interested in joining a new GW with other forumers?

The idea is to return to the original 20 (22, but SM restrictions limit it to 20) teams in the first season of the Premier League.

The setup will involve a live draft pick to give a fair advantage to every team.

Teams like Leeds, Sheffield (both), Coventry, etc. ... will all be part of the action!

PM me if interested, I'll pass your name through (not my setup).

As great as Fabregas is, I'd much rather us focus on buying a couple of defensive/box to box midfielders who mix pace, power and athleticism. Really don't want another player in the spine of the teams who lacks real pace and presence in defensive duties.

The more I see of Carvalho, the more I think he'd be a perfect fit.

As great as Fabregas is' date=' I'd much rather us focus on buying a couple of defensive/box to box midfielders who mix pace, power and athleticism. Really don't want another player in the spine of the teams who lacks real pace and presence in defensive duties.

The more I see of Carvalho, the more I think he'd be a perfect fit.[/quote']

Let's be honest here if we bought Carvahlo and Fabregas our midfield would be sorted (for once).

I don't really wanna discuss Fabregas too much but IF he is available and IF he would join us we'd be mad not to try and get a playmaker like him who can assist and score. But we would need as you say a strong defensive/box to box player to compliment.

Re: Respuesta: Official Red Devils Thread

I have seen that Guillermo Varela played many minutes in the UTD youth team' date=' however no chance for him to enter the first squad? He looked really promising in the U20 NT, pretty much lost track of him.[/quote']

Much like Saidy Janko, these aren't really the times to take risks on youngsters with absolutely no experience. He's been doing well for the youth system, but what United are looking for is experience.

Let's be honest here if we bought Carvahlo and Fabregas our midfield would be sorted (for once).

I don't really wanna discuss Fabregas too much but IF he is available and IF he would join us we'd be mad not to try and get a playmaker like him who can assist and score. But we would need as you say a strong defensive/box to box player to compliment.

Carvalho alone would sort out the problems. Bringing in Fabregas would just mean bringing in another big ego which would result in even more conflicts for that coveted AM spot.

United have enough attacking qualities to work with, the defence is priority, and Fabregas won't add to that in any way.

Carvalho alone would sort out the problems. Bringing in Fabregas would just mean bringing in another big ego which would result in even more conflicts for that coveted AM spot.

United have enough attacking qualities to work with' date=' the defence is priority, and Fabregas won't add to that in any way.[/quote']

Big ego? Fab will be a great asset for our team, along with Carvalho.

Enough attacking qualities? Sure, but having a new face in there like Fab would definitely change things up a bit and add something different.

Please don't sit there and say you wouldn't want Fabregas in your team, any football fan would.

smileys-angry-687657.gif

Re: Respuesta: Official Red Devils Thread

Much like Saidy Janko' date=' these aren't really the times to take risks on youngsters with absolutely no experience. He's been doing well for the youth system, but what United are looking for is experience.[/quote']

Saidy Janko has been class for our reserves this year mate. The best player there I think :)

If United is going to bring in Fabregas, then some of the other midfielders might need to go, eg Kagawa. Realistically how is Mata, Rooney, RVP, Kagawa, Fabregas going to fit in the line up? Not forgetting Fellaini, Carrick, Januzaj etc. And a handful of them want to play in their favourite position and wouldn't like to be a squad player.

Saidy Janko has been class for our reserves this year mate. The best player there I think :)

Never did I imply that he's not class' date=' I just said that United would be taking a serious risk fast-tracking him and Varela to the first team, and that isn't really much of an option considering the current situation.

If this was a couple of years ago, this wouldn't even be up for discussion, considering their respective stunning debut seasons for United. Both will definitely get a chance or two in the coming seasons, but I doubt it will be this one. :)

Big ego? Fab will be a great asset for our team, along with Carvalho.

Enough attacking qualities? Sure, but having a new face in there like Fab would definitely change things up a bit and add something different.

Please don't sit there and say you wouldn't want Fabregas in your team, any football fan would.

smileys-angry-687657.gif

Fabregas is an extremely arrogant and aggressive footballer. With RvP likely to spearhead the attack, Rooney will be pushed into a deeper role which is coincidentally also Fabregas' preferred role. With the likes of Kagawa, Mata, etc. all still there, do you really think everything will still be hunky dory at the end of the season? The answer is no, also taking into mind that the manager has a notorious reputation of falling out with others pretty quickly.

At this point, a "new face" just isn't enough. You're basically telling me that you don't mind seeing United pay 30M for some "refreshments", whilst there are a dozen other problems that are imminent and need to be sorted first. Besides, Fabregas' play lacks any pace and/or strength, which is basically what United need at the moment. His passing might be "great", but that isn't even how United or LvG play their football, which would make him completely useless.

If I were to build up a team from scratch, I would most definitely take him, but this is another situation, far more complex than your "dream world fairy-tale" crap. So to answer your question: no, I wouldn't want to see Fabregas come to United at the moment, simply because he is of no use to them.

United have enough attacking qualities to work with' date=' the defence is priority, and Fabregas won't add to that in any way.[/quote']

Have you seen our midfield? There's more life in a tramps vest!

Carvahlo isn't going to solve our problems we still lack creativity from CM and have done since Scholes left. We need a player capable of producing excellent passes consistently and Fabregas can do that.

It's all very well winning the ball back but unless you can use it there is little point us investing in a defensive mid we need a mix of both.

Also Fabregas would comfortably slot into a CM position and wouldn't need to play AM so no issue there.

Have you seen our midfield? There's more life in a tramps vest!

Carvahlo isn't going to solve our problems we still lack creativity from CM and have done since Scholes left. We need a player capable of producing excellent passes consistently and Fabregas can do that.

It's all very well winning the ball back but unless you can use it there is little point us investing in a defensive mid we need a mix of both.

Also Fabregas would comfortably slot into a CM position and wouldn't need to play AM so no issue there.

I strongly disagree.

Creativity (in my opinion) can only be achieved if there are strong foundations, which at the moment, is absolutely non-existent. Every top team in the world relies on one or two solid defensive midfielders to keep everything tight at the back and provide room for some offensive play, which United don't have at all. That is one of the main reasons why United have performed so badly this season.

Carvalho might not be the world's most creative player, but he'll combine strength and defensive knowledge to do what Scholes did for so many years - keep everything stable behind whilst distributing play at the same time. All right, he might not be able to nail every single 60-yard pass, but the simple short pass-and-move is something every footballer can do.

Fabregas offers absolutely no defensive cover at all. Yes, he might be able to nail those "incredible" passes, but there's no point of that if no one is there to cover if something were to go wrong. Besides, there are plenty of players with the potential to do what Fabregas does so often. All that is needed is some good management, which might be the case with LvG.

Crucify me if you want, but if LvG does manage to bring out the best of the players again, I wouldn't mind seeing players like Kagawa and even Ashley Young stay, as we all know what they're capable of.

I strongly disagree.

Creativity (in my opinion) can only be achieved if there are strong foundations' date=' which at the moment, is absolutely non-existent. Every top team in the world relies on one or two solid defensive midfielders to keep everything tight at the back and provide room for some offensive play, which United don't have at all. That is one of the main reasons why United have performed so badly this season.

[b']I agree you need solid foundations but Carvahlo alone won't solve that.[/b]

Carvalho might not be the world's most creative player, but he'll combine strength and defensive knowledge to do what Scholes did for so many years - keep everything stable behind whilst distributing play at the same time. All right, he might not be able to nail every single 60-yard pass, but the simple short pass-and-move is something every footballer can do.

I don't see them as mutually exclusive though while I want a creative CM like a Fabregas I'd be dissapoited if we didn't solidify too. Carvahlo won't be able to fill that hole alone. Also not everyone can play that football Tom Cleverly springs to mind

Fabregas offers absolutely no defensive cover at all. Yes, he might be able to nail those "incredible" passes, but there's no point of that if no one is there to cover if something were to go wrong. Besides, there are plenty of players with the potential to do what Fabregas does so often. All that is needed is some good management, which might be the case with LvG.

Fabregas can defend, he'll retain the ball far better than any United player we have but also use it creatively from deep too. I don't see anyone who can do what Fabregas can in our team

Crucify me if you want, but if LvG does manage to bring out the best of the players again, I wouldn't mind seeing players like Kagawa and even Ashley Young stay, as we all know what they're capable of.

Nobody is crucifying you over it but it's naive to think our team would not benefit from having a Fabregas. Just because we need a Dm too it doesn't negate the need for a world class CM.

Anyway we won't get him so don't worry!

Nobody is crucifying you over it but it's naive to think our team would not benefit from having a Fabregas. Just because we need a Dm too it doesn't negate the need for a world class CM.

Anyway we won't get him so don't worry!

Fabregas is a light-weight defender, and does much like how Cleverly does in a defensive situation, and that is fly into almost 70% of the challenges, only to either lose the ball or give away a reckless free-kick. I agree that he can retain the ball well, but that is something Carvalho can do too. After all, that is one of his strong points.

I believe that, with the right management, a player of Carvalho's profile would complement players with a much weaker physique (or non-existent in Kagawa's case) and open up United's play automatically, thus making an extra creative CM an abundance, no matter how "world-class" he is. It most definitely worked with Kehl at Dortmund.

Fabregas is a light-weight defender' date=' and does much like how Cleverly does in a defensive situation, and that is fly into almost 70% of the challenges, only to either lose the ball or give away a reckless free-kick. I agree that he can retain the ball well, but that is something Carvalho can do too. After all, that is one of his strong points.

I believe that, with the right management, a player of Carvalho's profile would complement players with a much weaker physique (or non-existent in Kagawa's case) and open up United's play automatically, thus making an extra creative CM an abundance, no matter how "world-class" he is. It most definitely worked with Kehl at Dortmund.[/quote']

If you look at the most successful teams currently they have a destroyer and creator of very high class in CM.

Our midfield needs more than just Carvahlo to be title contending so we need a player like Fabregas.

I completely agree with you on the importance of a DM but I think you're underestimating the lack of through balls long ball quick direct passes from CM that enabled us to play so well with width and pace. You don't need to be strong or quick to be a great CM Paul Scholes proved that the guy had asthma!

Strootman is more realistic anyway a nice mix of both!

If you look at the most successful teams currently they have a destroyer and creator of very high class in CM.

Our midfield needs more than just Carvahlo to be title contending so we need a player like Fabregas.

I completely agree with you on the importance of a DM but I think you're underestimating the lack of through balls long ball quick direct passes from CM that enabled us to play so well with width and pace. You don't need to be strong or quick to be a great CM Paul Scholes proved that the guy had asthma!

Strootman is more realistic anyway a nice mix of both!

But my point is, United already have quite a few creators. Kagawa's short-pass vision is/was second to none. Rooney probably is one of the best long-ball passers in the EPL at the moment and Mata has the ability to do both. If Fabregas was cheaper, it might not be such a bad idea, but 30M is too much, and will most certainly mean that another crucial void won't be filled.

What you say at the end is true though. A perfect hybrid would be Strootman. But I'll say it again, the priority at the moment is a defensive midfielder, not some more attacking force. I'd much rather see United play like Chelsea for a season than see this season all over again, which is the inevitable if United don't get someone rock-solid in that midfield.