Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

I've never seen this Blind guy before but based on this match alone' date=' SIGN HIM UP!

Seems to confirm the view that he's the only one good enough for us in that Dutch team.[/quote']

He's the son of Dutch legend Danny.

And we all know what happened the last time United signed a Dutch legend's son.

More interesting would be De Vrij. Looks like a really solid player.

I wonder what LvG did at half time though. It sure does seem as the return of the hair-dryer treatment.

He's the son of Dutch legend Danny.

And we all know what happened the last time United signed a Dutch legend's son.

More interesting would be De Vrij. Looks like a really solid player.

I wonder what LvG did at half time though. It sure does seem as the return of the hair-dryer treatment.

I know plenty of Dutch people (work in a Dutch based company). Having spoken to many of them in the last few weeks, they are mostly agreed that none of the dutch midfielders are anywhere near good enough for us. The only one who might be is Maher but apparently he is something of a loose canon. Blind looks good enough as a LB though and still reasonably young.

The Feyenoord fans don't seem to think much of De Vrij or Clasie for that matter. Of course, I'd trust Van Gaal's judgement if he decides to get them.

I know plenty of Dutch people (work in a Dutch based company). Having spoken to many of them in the last few weeks' date=' they are mostly agreed that none of the dutch midfielders are anywhere near good enough for us. The only one who might be is Maher but apparently he is something of a loose canon. Blind looks good enough as a LB though and still reasonably young.

The Feyenoord fans don't seem to think much of De Vrij or Clasie for that matter. Of course, I'd trust Van Gaal's judgement if he decides to get them.[/quote']

Maher is indeed extremely unpredictable, which has also reflected on his stagnating progress.

And as you say, it's all about LvG's judgement now. He clearly seems to be getting the best out of players, who by quite a few football fans could/would be considered as mediocre. From what I've seen tonight though, everyone in the Dutch team was immense, bar De Guzman.

Maher is indeed extremely unpredictable' date=' which has also reflected on his stagnating progress.

And as you say, it's all about LvG's judgement now. He clearly seems to be getting the best out of players, who by quite a few football fans could/would be considered as mediocre. From what I've seen tonight though, everyone in the Dutch team was immense, bar De Guzman.[/quote']

I think Van Gaal will get a few of our players playing to their potential. The likes of Smalling and Jones get loads of stick but it's hard to look good and improve when you are playing in different positions every week. I reckon Nani, Smalling, Cleverley will all look hell of a lot better under Van Gaal especially Nani.

I think Van Gaal will get a few of our players playing to their potential. The likes of Smalling and Jones get loads of stick but it's hard to look good and improve when you are playing in different positions every week. I reckon Nani' date=' Smalling, Cleverley will all look hell of a lot better under Van Gaal especially Nani.[/quote']

Nani has had enough chances. The majority of the time, even Sir Alex couldn't get the best out of him. The problem is, even at his best he is too inconsistent and frustrating to watch.

I think Van Gaal will get a few of our players playing to their potential. The likes of Smalling and Jones get loads of stick but it's hard to look good and improve when you are playing in different positions every week. I reckon Nani' date=' Smalling, Cleverley will all look hell of a lot better under Van Gaal especially Nani.[/quote']

Funny you say that, I said almost exactly the same thing a couple of days ago, only to get quite a few sceptics. :)

Nani has had enough chances. The majority of the time' date=' even Sir Alex couldn't get the best out of him. [b']The problem is, even at his best he is too inconsistent and frustrating to watch.[/b]

I wouldn't say that. Nani was excellent all season long in the 10-11' season.

Many are calling for a full refurbishment, but that simply isn't possible. And seeing a coach like LvG get the best out of good, but not great players gives me a lot of hope. Besides, even if Nani returns to his old self, which was basically showing his best once every three or four games, it would still make him pretty useful.

Nani has had enough chances. The majority of the time' date=' even Sir Alex couldn't get the best out of him. The problem is, even at his best he is too inconsistent and frustrating to watch.[/quote']

Has he though?

The last 2 seasons, he's spent most of the time injured. When he hasn't been injured he's usually been dropped after 1 bad game while Valencia and Young continue to stink the place out week after week.

At his best he was the most productive player in the league and named our player of the year.

I wouldn't be averse to him leaving actually as long as Valencia and Young followed him out. A move might be just what he needs personally.

I wouldn't say that. Nani was excellent all season long in the 10-11' season.

Many are calling for a full refurbishment' date=' but that simply isn't possible. And seeing a coach like LvG get the best out of good, but not great players gives me a lot of hope. Besides, even if Nani returns to his old self, which was basically showing his best once every three or four games, it would still make him pretty useful.[/quote']

7 years at the club, 1 season of excellence. Not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be happy for Nani, Valencia and Young to all be shown the door and have players who offer more threat in terms of creativity and goals from wide areas. Mentioned it before, but I do like Konoplyanka, would be a low transfer fee and would immediately be an improvement on what we currently have.

7 years at the club' date=' 1 season of excellence. Not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

[b']I'd be happy for Nani, Valencia and Young to all be shown the door and have players who offer more threat in terms of creativity and goals from wide areas. [/b]Mentioned it before, but I do like Konoplyanka, would be a low transfer fee and would immediately be an improvement on what we currently have.

Correction. Two years of living in the shadow of someone else. One bad season after that. Two very decent seasons following that and finally two injury-plagued seasons. He hasn't been extremely fortunate either.

And that is exactly what I mean. By discarding someone like Valencia, you might be discarding a mediocre player but you're discarding a versatile one too. Young and Nani might not be versatile, but that's again two spots that need to be filled in. Add that to all the other spots that need to be filled in and you got yourself about 10 players on the shortlist, which is never possible.

Might as well keep them and see what an experienced manager to get out of them.

Correction. Two years of living in the shadow of someone else. One bad season after that. Two very decent seasons following that and finally two injury-plagued seasons. He hasn't been extremely fortunate either.

And that is exactly what I mean. By discarding someone like Valencia' date=' you might be discarding a mediocre player but you're discarding a versatile one too. Young and Nani might not be versatile, but that's again two spots that need to be filled in. Add that to all the other spots that need to be filled in and you got yourself about 10 players on the shortlist, which is never possible.

Might as well keep them and see what an experienced manager to get out of them.[/quote']

It's not a correction as he has been at the club for 7 years, living in the shadow of someone else is not an excuse as he can play on either flank (apparently). The periods of injury have been unfortunate but I very much doubt he'd have produced consistent performances if he'd been fit anyway.

Versatility is okay, but that should not determine whether a player stays or leaves the club. Valencia isn't really that versatile, yes he can fill a void at RB but I'd rather bring in a decent/natural back up RB, in terms of versatility in midfield positions, he offers none at all, thus he's no more versatile than most standard modern wingers who usually have the ability to play on both flanks.

Shouldn't matter if you need to lose 3 wingers and bring in 3 replacements, if that's what is needed then it should be considered, the likelihood of that happening though, I agree is unlikely.

It's not a correction as he has been at the club for 7 years' date=' living in the shadow of someone else is not an excuse as he can play on either flank (apparently). The periods of injury have been unfortunate but I very much doubt he'd have produced consistent performances if he'd been fit anyway.

Versatility is okay, but that should not determine whether a player stays or leaves the club. Valencia isn't really that versatile, yes he can fill a void at RB but I'd rather bring in a decent/natural back up RB, in terms of versatility in midfield positions, he offers none at all, thus he's no more versatile than most standard modern wingers who usually have the ability to play on both flanks.

Shouldn't matter if you need to lose 3 wingers and bring in 3 replacements, if that's what is needed then it should be considered, the likelihood of that happening though, I agree is unlikely.[/quote']

How is living in the shadow not an excuse? The main reason he was bought was to replace Ronaldo once he would inevitably leave, which doesn't really do favours to anyone knowing that you're "second option". And suggesting that he would be rubbish anyway even if he was fit is a wild stab in the dark to be honest.

Maybe versatility wasn't the right choice of words. What I basically wanted to say is that their styles differ a lot. Young at his prime (Villa) would provide something completely different to a powerhouse like Valencia or a technician like Nani in their respective primes. And instead of leaving them on the doorstep and frankly risking a player shortage would be stupid considering that a very good man-manager is coming in after the WC.

The primary importance is to get replacements for the retiring/already departed. Once that is out of the way, the next step would be to replace 'dead wood', which by my order of elimination would be Fletcher - Valencia - Nani - Cleverly - Young.

How is living in the shadow not an excuse? The main reason he was bought was to replace Ronaldo once he would inevitably leave' date=' which doesn't really do favours to anyone knowing that you're "second option". And suggesting that he would be rubbish anyway even if he was fit is a wild stab in the dark to be honest.

Maybe versatility wasn't the right choice of words. What I basically wanted to say is that their styles differ a lot. Young at his prime (Villa) would provide something completely different to a powerhouse like Valencia or a technician like Nani in their respective primes. And instead of leaving them on the doorstep and frankly risking a player shortage would be stupid considering that a very good man-manager is coming in after the WC.

The primary importance is to get replacements for the retiring/already departed. Once that is out of the way, the next step would be to replace 'dead wood', which by my order of elimination would be Fletcher - Valencia - Nani - Cleverly - Young.[/quote']

Nani's purchase was not specifically to replace Ronaldo. Living in the shadow is not an excuse as I have already mentioned before, there are two wing positions on the pitch, Nani could have easily played alongside Ronaldo on a regular basis rather than "living in the shadow".

I never said he would have been rubbish, I said I very much doubt he'd have produced consistent performances if he'd been fit. His track record on performances would suggest that my claim has validity. So not so wild after all.

Going back to the three wingers, all I said is I'd be happy to see them all depart. Whether that's this summer or in January, I don't care.

7 years at the club' date=' 1 season of excellence. Not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be happy for Nani, Valencia and Young to all be shown the door and have players who offer more threat in terms of creativity and goals from wide areas. Mentioned it before, but I do like Konoplyanka, would be a low transfer fee and would immediately be an improvement on what we currently have.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more.All of the above should go.Nani has enough time at the club to prove his useless worth.

Would love to also see Konoplyanka come in could offer a lot more then we have now.

Hope Van Gaal can make United play like Holland in their 1st game

Still waiting on transfers

Same here.No doubt' date=' he will get the best out of RVP as RVP did not really want to play under Moyes.[/color']

He will give us something that we have been missing since fergie left.Not only that, he will give us something completely different as it is what we need to get us back to winning ways.

Mark my words, LVG will be a fabulous manager for Man United.

Keep the faith, the transfer will be coming in thick and fast after WC.

The summer clean out must begin first.

smileys-household-458045.gif

Same here.No doubt' date=' he will get the best out of RVP as RVP did not really want to play under Moyes.[/color']

He will give us something that we have been missing since fergie left.Not only that, he will give us something completely different as it is what we need to get us back to winning ways.

Mark my words, LVG will be a fabulous manager for Man United.

Keep the faith, the transfer will be coming in thick and fast after WC.

The summer clean out must begin first.

smileys-household-458045.gif

If Van Gaal can bring some of the Holland lot with him like Blind etc things could look great

3-4-3/5-4-1 looks interesting

I want players in before players out, Don't want a squad with no depth

If Van Gaal can bring some of the Holland lot with him like Blind etc things could look great

3-4-3/5-4-1 looks interesting

I want players in before players out' date=' Don't want a squad with no depth[/quote']

A 3-4-3- / 5-2-3-hybrid is what LvG has been using recently. And as shown against Spain, it's pretty effective against possession-hogging teams, which seems to be the growing trend in the EPL too. (Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal)

The interesting bit will be to see how he implements that at United (if that becomes the case). Arguably there are already quite a few natural wing-backs in the squad (Evra, Rafael, Büttner, Varela), who will not only be able to provide extra cover if new players come in, but would also be able to slot into that role if there are no new signings (for that particular position).

The risky bit is the three CB's and the two CM's. If United do sign Blind, I believe that the two CM spots can be filled in (temporarily). Carrick looks like he still has a bit of gas in the tank and Blind can play that holding midfield position too, as he showed for Ajax in the previous season.

I think that United need a new, commanding CB first. Someone who can lead from behind and who is capable of holding it together, which has been the main problem since Vidic's cruciate ligament injury. As much as Hummels fits that role to a T, I don't see him joining, even in my wildest dreams.

A 3-4-3- / 5-2-3-hybrid is what LvG has been using recently. And as shown against Spain' date=' it's pretty effective against possession-hogging teams, which seems to be the growing trend in the EPL too. (Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal)

The interesting bit will be to see how he implements that at United (if that becomes the case). Arguably there are already quite a few natural wing-backs in the squad (Evra, Rafael, Büttner, Varela), who will not only be able to provide extra cover if new players come in, but would also be able to slot into that role if there are no new signings (for that particular position).

The risky bit is the three CB's and the two CM's. If United do sign Blind, I believe that the two CM spots can be filled in (temporarily). Carrick looks like he still has a bit of gas in the tank and Blind can play that holding midfield position too, as he showed for Ajax in the previous season.

I think that United need a new, commanding CB first. Someone who can lead from behind and who is capable of holding it together, which has been the main problem since Vidic's cruciate ligament injury. As much as Hummels fits that role to a T, I don't see him joining, even in my wildest dreams.[/quote']

Yeah really looking forward to see what LVG can do with Utd, I could never see poor Moyes masterminding a 5-1 win over Spain! :)

Transfer rumours have dried up past couple of days, England playing their first match yesterday was probably the reason, which just shows that they probably make 99% of the rumours up and when they had England to focus on, they focused on Gary Nev walkin on the beach and bed bugs in Uruguay's (i think) hotel room!

Yeah really looking forward to see what LVG can do with Utd' date=' I could never see poor Moyes masterminding a 5-1 win over Spain! :)

Transfer rumours have dried up past couple of days, England playing their first match yesterday was probably the reason, which just shows that they probably make 99% of the rumours up and when they had England to focus on, they focused on Gary Nev walkin on the beach and bed bugs in Uruguay's (i think) hotel room![/quote']

He did mastermind two (nearly) perfect games against Bayern though, even if that's all he did haha.

Besides, the rumours will return in a week's time once England have been knocked out in the group stages.

Vermaelen to Manutd close.

not overexcited by this like most of the fans but I am sure VG can get the best out of Vermalen,he's already 29 so probably would give us 2-3 good years if he gets into his own self,lets see what the fee is.

Would really like to see United go for Alderweireld.

Why? He's mediocre at best' date=' and it's guaranteed that AM won't let him go for less than what they paid for him twelve months ago.

Vermaelen to Manutd close.

not overexcited by this like most of the fans but I am sure VG can get the best out of Vermalen,he's already 29 so probably would give us 2-3 good years if he gets into his own self,lets see what the fee is.

More than 4M would be overpaying in my honest opinion. Whilst he once was a beast for Arsenal, injury has crippled him to a state that I believe that even LvG wouldn't be able to get him anywhere near his old self again.

. Whilst he once was a beast for Arsenal' date=' .[/quote']

He was crap from the day he signed. He got away with it for a while due to his goals and melodramatic sliding tackles. If you'd like to know what you're getting, take a look at a goal from Suarez in the 2-2 draw from 2 seasons ago. That goal sums him up. He is absolutely awful. It'd be pay back for Silvestre.

He was crap from the day he signed. He got away with it for a while due to his goals and melodramatic sliding tackles. If you'd like to know what you're getting' date=' take a look at a goal from Suarez in the 2-2 draw from 2 seasons ago. That goal sums him up. He is absolutely awful. It'd be pay back for Silvestre.[/quote']

His first season at Arsenal was pretty good from what I remember.

Again, paying more than 4M would be a mockery, but much like Demichelis moving to City for a similar fee, I can see Vermaelen as a handy alternative.