Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

. Whilst he once was a beast for Arsenal' date=' .[/quote']

He was crap from the day he signed. He got away with it for a while due to his goals and melodramatic sliding tackles. If you'd like to know what you're getting, take a look at a goal from Suarez in the 2-2 draw from 2 seasons ago. That goal sums him up. He is absolutely awful. It'd be pay back for Silvestre.

He was crap from the day he signed. He got away with it for a while due to his goals and melodramatic sliding tackles. If you'd like to know what you're getting' date=' take a look at a goal from Suarez in the 2-2 draw from 2 seasons ago. That goal sums him up. He is absolutely awful. It'd be pay back for Silvestre.[/quote']

His first season at Arsenal was pretty good from what I remember.

Again, paying more than 4M would be a mockery, but much like Demichelis moving to City for a similar fee, I can see Vermaelen as a handy alternative.

His first season at Arsenal was pretty good from what I remember.

Again' date=' paying more than 4M would be a mockery, but much like Demichelis moving to City for a similar fee, I can see Vermaelen as a handy alternative.[/quote']

It wasn't good at all. He just looked better due to how bad the others were. You really, really don't want him.

Wow' date=' you really don't like him do you?

Speaking of people you don't like, how's that possible Vela return feeling?[/quote']

5 years of watching him cost us games has done that. Even worse he's been the bloody captain. Bugger me.

Vela won't come back. It would have happened by now.

This comment reminds me of that joker meme... Years of mediocrity for Villa and nobody bats an eyelid' date=' one good game for Nederlands and everyone goes out of their minds! :P[/quote']

Don't want either of them you fool, but if it was mediocrity that we were going after. Then I'd rather Vlaar the Vermaelen. At least he has some positional sense.

I find it hilarious that some fans (many notable exceptions) were lapping up the Hummels rumours and then you get lumped with Vermaelen :P The only reason his reputation isn't abysmal is a few goals he scored years ago.

He's absolutely shocking Stu. Just want the summer over and done with, need to know who LVG is bringing in, and most importantly, which of the useless bunch of players we currently have, he is ditching!

He's absolutely shocking Stu. Just want the summer over and done with' date=' need to know who LVG is bringing in, and most importantly, which of the useless bunch of players we currently have, he is ditching![/quote']

If I'm honest, I don't think you need the overhaul that people are clamouring for. I didn't rate the Dutch squad going into the WC and they've just battered Spain and you don't have Europe to contend with next season so there's a strong possibility you could do what Liverpool have done this season.

However, as much as you don't need to spend fortunes, you need to bring the right players in. I don't think Vermaelen is right but I don't think you'll be signing any superstars either. The other issue is Van Gaal - he may be a good manager but you can't deny his temperament isn't great and there are an awful lot of egos to massage at United. Last season's 'performances' for Moyes show that.

Hummels was always a pipe dream, but I like pipe dreams :P

I still maintain we will make at least 2 very good signings this window, the world cup is obviously making things trickier as LVG can't focus on players right now.

Vermaelen isn't what I'd call a United centre back and I think we'd be taking a big risk if we were to sign him. I'd sooner see us move for Vertonghen (though I don't really want him either).

If I'm honest' date=' I don't think you need the overhaul that people are clamouring for. I didn't rate the Dutch squad going into the WC and they've just battered Spain and you don't have Europe to contend with next season so there's a strong possibility you could do what Liverpool have done this season.

However, as much as you don't need to spend fortunes, you need to bring the right players in. I don't think Vermaelen is right but I don't think you'll be signing any superstars either. The other issue is Van Gaal - he may be a good manager but you can't deny his temperament isn't great and there are an awful lot of egos to massage at United. Last season's 'performances' for Moyes show that.[/quote']

I've said all along, I'd rather buy the right players, they don't have to be superstars or deemed as world class, we've never attracted those players in the past and it's never done us any harm. What we have done is purchase players who then go on to become world class. So an experienced CB and a few highly rated youngsters will do for me. But there are players that need to leave.

I don't think there are many egos at United to be honest, probably only RVP and Rooney.

I have no issues with LVG, the fact that Moyes is gone is good enough for me.

Vermaelen isn't what I'd call a United centre back and I think we'd be taking a big risk if we were to sign him. I'd sooner see us move for Vertonghen (though I don't really want him either).

He is exactly what you'd call a United Centreback if we base it on the last year or two. Average and injury-prone. :P

P.S. Has Robben been seen house hunting yet in Greater Manchester? I suppose not; Tony would have informed us ;)

P.P.S. In all seriousness, I can't see any significant upside in signing Vermaelen. Get Garay or in or whoever but not an Arsenal bench player?!

He is exactly what you'd call a United Centreback if we base it on the last year or two. Average and injury-prone. :P

P.S. Has Robben been seeing house hunting yet in Greater Manchester? I suppose not; Tony would have informed us ;)

Sigh...

Anyway realistically I don't see many alternative CB's available that the club could pursue, I'd like to see an already solid CB join but if LVG thinks it's TV then I'd rather we invested in potential.

I've said all along' date=' I'd rather buy the right players, they don't have to be superstars or deemed as world class, we've never attracted those players in the past and it's never done us any harm. What we have done is purchase players who then go on to become world class. So an experienced CB and a few highly rated youngsters will do for me. But there are players that need to leave.

I don't think there are many egos at United to be honest, probably only RVP and Rooney.

I have no issues with LVG, the fact that Moyes is gone is good enough for me.[/quote']

Having players that need to leave is a difficult one to judge. A new manager often comes in and sees players differently and thinks he may be able to utilise players previously considered useless. I wouldn't have been disappointed to see Kolarov leave City at the end of last season, but he's been excellent under Pellegrini.

RVP and Rooney is the big one. I'd imagine that Van Gaal's dream scenario would be for Van Persie to be his captain and the team to be built around him. I doubt Rooney would take that too well and having an unhappy player on £300k a week isn't a good situation. Then you have the issues with RVP's injury record and Hernandez and Welbeck wanting games. It's a tricky situation to manage and it'll be interesting to see how he does.

The issue with Van Gaal is that if it doesn't work, I don't think you can afford another season out of Europe/CL. Do that and the players who do have ability like De Gea, Mata and Januzaj start to question whether United is the right club to be at. He's not a low risk choice, but there aren't many good options available. Not getting the right man in in the merry-go-round last summer may prove very costly.

Sigh...

Come on Ben' date=' lighten up :P

RVP and Rooney is the big one. I'd imagine that Van Gaal's dream scenario would be for Van Persie to be his captain and the team to be built around him. I doubt Rooney would take that too well and having an unhappy player on £300k a week isn't a good situation. Then you have the issues with RVP's injury record and Hernandez and Welbeck wanting games. It's a tricky situation to manage and it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Van Gaal wouldn't build around a 31-year old van Persie. LvG builds around the system he prefers, no single player.

And he does not shy away from sending away players, especially established ones. Which is also a negative though. Send away proven performers like Luca Toni, Lucio and even our captain van Bommel back then (who is Dutch so that plays little role as well)

Having players that need to leave is a difficult one to judge. A new manager often comes in and sees players differently and thinks he may be able to utilise players previously considered useless. I wouldn't have been disappointed to see Kolarov leave City at the end of last season' date=' but he's been excellent under Pellegrini.

The issue with Van Gaal is that if it doesn't work, I don't think you can afford another season out of Europe/CL. Do that and the players who do have ability like De Gea, Mata and Januzaj start to question whether United is the right club to be at. He's not a low risk choice, but there aren't many good options available. Not getting the right man in in the merry-go-round last summer may prove very costly.[/quote']

Agreed, I think I said after the Moyes sacking that the problem may be that some of the players that really need to leave may be given yet another opportunity to fail at making the grade at United.

That is also one of my concerns, convincing the likes of Mata, Januzaj and De Gea that they are making the right choice in staying at United if things don't go so well next season.

Although LVG wouldn't have been my first choice, I do believe he was the best option from what was available.

FYI, we don't pay Rooney 300k per week, he's still on the same wage from United as his previous deal.

I'm happy to see Hernandez leave, but I want Welbeck to remain at the club.

Holland seem to cater for RvP very well. I don't pretend to be an expert though.

Was that a little slight, Stu?

Van Gaal uses the player material as best as he can. I agree that he likes van Persie but I don't agree with the team being build around him and hi doing the same at Utd.

He played Robben as right winger for us, now he is basically playing striker. He introduced a rigid short passing possession 4231 style of play at Bayern. Now he is playing a 352 or 532, whatever you prefer, and is setting up goals by long balls. He adapts to the team as a whole.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney and van Persie as the two strikers with Mata behind them. Though the former 2 would have to start passing to each other for that to work. Avoids the use of good wingers though which Utd don't have anyway.

Come on Ben' date=' lighten up :P

;)

Van Gaal wouldn't build around a 31-year old van Persie. LvG builds around the system he prefers, no single player.

And he does not shy away from sending away players, especially established ones. Which is also a negative though. Send away proven performers like Luca Toni, Lucio and even our captain van Bommel back then (who is Dutch so that plays little role as well)[/quote']

It's actually what I'm expecting him to do. Van Gaal and RVP seem to be singing from the same sheet and he's getting good performances out of him.

Still it's anyones guess what will happen.

Agreed' date=' I think I said after the Moyes sacking that the problem may be that some of the players that really need to leave may be given yet another opportunity to fail at making the grade at United.

That is also one of my concerns, convincing the likes of Mata, Januzaj and De Gea that they are making the right choice in staying at United if things don't go so well next season.

Although LVG wouldn't have been my first choice, I do believe he was the best option from what was available.

FYI, we don't pay Rooney 300k per week, he's still on the same wage from United as his previous deal.

I'm happy to see Hernandez leave, but I want Welbeck to remain at the club.[/quote']

I agree some players have had too many chances to prove themselves and I don't see the point in risking another poor season from some.

The only way I'd want Hernandez to leave is if it was abroad, and we got a player as part of the deal. It wouldn't be the end of the world as I think James Wilson has a good career ahead of him if all goes well but I'd rather we keep him.

Welbeck cannot and should not go, we'd be mad to let him go, so underrated by those that don't watch him in the flesh.

Was that a little slight' date=' Stu?

Van Gaal uses the player material as best as he can. I agree that he likes van Persie but I don't agree with the team being build around him. He played Robben as right winger for us, now he is basically playing striker. He introduced a rigid short passing possession 4231 style of play at Bayern. Now he is playing a 352 or 532, whatever you prefer, and is setting up goals by long balls. He adapts to the team as a whole.[/quote']

No, not at all. You'll know his style far better than I.

The movement of players is what interests me most about Van Gaal. Particularly Robben up front and thinking if Nani could do a similar job at United. I don't know though. I think United have far too many players who want to play the #10 role and accommodating all of them will be very difficult.