Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

So?

A trophy is not a trophy.

Liverpool vs Manchester United will never be a "friendly".

And it's good to beat and outclass sides like Roma' date=' Internazionale, Real, and Liverpool with the latter 2 fielding full strength sides.[/quote']

Not when it's pre season, if your counting this as a trophy won by Utd this season then that is a little embarrassing.

Pre season is mainly about getting fitness levels up and match sharpness, not about results. Yes Utd have done well but to say that you have outclassed sides smacks a little of grandeur thinking.

Different teams are at different stages of fitness and match sharpness during pre season, it is silly to try and compare. If this was a competitive tournament do think the majority of results and performances would be the same? No is the answer.

• Replies 43.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanMcCo

• Frozy

• Hercule Poirot

• Stuart H

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester United Thread Just tried changing the password on my laptop to Man Utd defence but it said it was too weak

Re: Official Red Devils thread Apparently, it's been caused by City opening their trophy cabinet LOL

Re: Official Red Devils Thread Right I'd thought I'd air some opinions on recent activity. How Do You Solve a Problem Like Di Maria The recent acquisition of Di Maria appears to have split bo

Posted Images

Not when it's pre season' date=' if your counting this as a trophy won by Utd this season then that is a little embarrassing.

Pre season is mainly about getting fitness levels up and match sharpness, not about results. Yes Utd have done well but to say that you have outclassed sides smacks a little of grandeur thinking.

Different teams are at different stages of fitness and match sharpness during pre season, it is silly to try and compare. If this was a competitive tournament do think the majority of results and performances would be the same? No is the answer.[/quote']

Valid point, and I do agree with the fitness stuff, but I'm sure that Liverpool would've loved to win the trophy as well. Winning a trophy boosts your player's morale by a little or a lot, and I'm sure the players are fired up even more, especially if you beat your fierce rivals

The trophy does not count towards any tallies, but it does towards the team's morale which is 100x higher than it was under Mr. Moyes

EDIT: I'm terrible at explaining this

Valid point' date=' and I do agree with the fitness stuff, but I'm sure that Liverpool would've loved to win the trophy as well. Winning a trophy boosts your player's morale by a little or a lot, and I'm sure the players are fired up even more, especially if you beat your fierce rivals[/quote']

Yes the Liverpool game will probably have meant something but your talking about it as though it is a real competition and trophy. I am more than sure that the players don't see it as any more than a bit of friendly competition, i more than 100% sure that it will have no bearing on confidence levels come the start of the season.

Lovely to see such a positive pre season which does count for something because it shows we've got ability to perform well and are ahead of other teams in terms of fitness at the moment so could be in for a good start to the season.

I don't care what anyone else says games vs Liverpool are never true friendlies and everyone on that pitch wanted to win just as muc as any other game against United.

So far so good will be interesting to see who's being told I move on this window though.

So?

A trophy is not a trophy.

Liverpool vs Manchester United will never be a "friendly".

And it's good to beat and outclass sides like Roma' date=' Internazionale, Real, and Liverpool with the latter 2 fielding full strength sides.[/quote']

A trophy is a trophy hahaha. It's a pre season tournament. Are you gonna count your U12s winning trophies too?

What a wonderful pre season under a fabulous new manager. We showed the United of old throughout the tournament and deserved to win it.

LvG gets his first trophy as a United manager and deservedly so. Great so see Mata in scoring form and playing well, never really got that from Moyes.

I'm tipping Rooney to be our player of the season and hoping he carries this form into the new season. (along with the rest of the squad).

As for Liverpool, well this could be the way there season is going to be, or an indication of what will be, getting to the end (if even that) and ending up with nothing as previous seasons.

Glory Glory Man United.

smileys-ice-cream-147676.gif

How the mighty have fallen when you celebrate winning a pre-season tournament like a real trophy.

As I said you can take positives from your performances but itll be much more different when competitive games get under way.

I doubt LVG will be calling it his first trophy for United either.

As for the Liverpool jab tony we were without arguably our best player and 3 new signings and we took all our key players off at the 60 minute mark. You can't make season predictions off pre-season, you won the charity shield with Moyes and look what happened there.

Lovely to see such a positive pre season which does count for something because it shows we've got ability to perform well and are ahead of other teams in terms of fitness at the moment so could be in for a good start to the season.

I don't care what anyone else says games vs Liverpool are never true friendlies and everyone on that pitch wanted to win just as muc as any other game against United.

So far so good will be interesting to see who's being told I move on this window though.

I think Nani and Fellaini will be told they can leave for sure. Hernandez could also be told to go but I think we should keep him so he can continue his poaching' date=' he could get us some important goals this season.

Hoping VG can get the best out of Lingard and Adnan this season.[/color']

Definitely true, but the reaction at the final whistle kind of said it all. It's probably not even worthy of making the honorary trophy-cabinet, although it is most definitely a huge morale boost, considering that both Liverpool and RM fielded quite a decent team too (especially the latter).

DM "predict" departures for Nani, Anderson, Fellaini, Kagawa, Hernandez and Zaha, albeit some for absolutely ridiculous prices. Anderson was gone from the moment Mata was given the #8 in my opinion. I wouldn't really even add him on that list, as it's only a matter of time before he leaves.

Delighted Utd won the aforementioned "trophy" but I wouldn't go clearing a space in the trophy cabinet but Utd had a really poor pre-season last year and apart from winning 4-1 in the opening game at Swansea, they never got going after that so while it may not mean much winning the tournament, they're in a lot better position than they were this time last year

Nice pre-season for United, LVG has made United strong side

I think my 6/1 bet of united winning the 1st 5 games is looking more confident

Rooney top scorer and United to win league double is 50/1 very tempting

I think LVG will axe Nani, Fellaini, Kagawa, Zaha

Bring on the league

To be fair United were w/o their best player RvP as with Liverpool w/o Sturridge. A few others like Carrick, Rafael, Lallana, Enrique.

There are only a few thing that a team can get out of a friendly/pre-season, they are fitness, tactics and gelling. In recently history there is no correlation between the results and the actual performance of the season. Yeah it could boost your morale (if it does), but don't let it go over the top. Forget about the trophy, just take it as the team has won 1mil(?) extra to buy another player.

Positives:

- well drilled on the 352 formation, and also the 433 plan B

- fitness in good shape

- fluid in attack

Negatives:

- exposed when fast wingers attack the wing backs (Bale/Sterling)

- lack of leadership at the back to command the backline

don't let the win mask the weakness(es) that is/are still evident. In short, there is room for improvement.

What a wonderful pre season under a fabulous new manager. We showed the United of old throughout the tournament and deserved to win it.

LvG gets his first trophy as a United manager and deservedly so. Great so see Mata in scoring form and playing well' date=' never really got that from Moyes.

I'm tipping Rooney to be our player of the season and hoping he carries this form into the new season. (along with the rest of the squad).

As for Liverpool, well this could be the way there season is going to be, or an indication of what will be, getting to the end (if even that) and ending up with nothing as previous seasons.[/i']

Glory Glory Man United.

smileys-ice-cream-147676.gif

I'm lost for words right now....

You do know a pre-season tournie is not a real trophy right :eek:

I'm lost for words right now....

You do know a pre-season tournie is not a real trophy right :eek:

This is the same person who said in the Man City thread that City would not win a trophy only 2 weeks after they beat Sunderland in the Capital One cup final' date=' so of course he thinks it's a real trophy. In fact if the rumours are to be believed he reckons Man Utd will win La Liga, Bundesliga and serie a this season which will install them as favourites to win the 2018 world cup. [/font']

did anybody see rooneys embarrassing attempt at trying to claim a goal?

it clearly went out and he tried to play it off as a goal, although the ref did give it seemed a bit dishonest and desperate to me...

maybe thats just my take.

if it was close / debateable then by all means challenge it but that was just silly! even had the audacity to half celebrate too...

did anybody see rooneys embarrassing attempt at trying to claim a goal?

it clearly went out and he tried to play it off as a goal' date=' although the ref did give it seemed a bit dishonest and desperate to me...

maybe thats just my take.

if it was close / debateable then by all means challenge it but that was just silly! even had the audacity to half celebrate too...[/quote']

Well he did look at the linesman and only then raised his hands. Why on earth would that be dishonest or desperate? All footballers do that.

Well he did look at the linesman and only then raised his hands. Why on earth would that be dishonest or desperate? All footballers do that.

dishonest and desperate because he knew it clearly was not a goal, you can see that by his reaction.

he then tried to claim it as a goal and half celebrate.

honest would be to just give the ball back to the keeper, you know the rules dictate.

he did the opposite so it's dishonest by definition.

im not saying a lot of other people wouldnt have done the same, but that doesn't make it any less dishonest its just a sad reality really.

dishonest and desperate because he knew it clearly was not a goal' date=' you can see that by his reaction.

he then tried to claim it as a goal and half celebrate.

honest would be to just give the ball back to the keeper, you know the rules dictate.

he did the opposite so it's dishonest by definition.

im not saying a lot of other people wouldnt have done the same, but that doesn't make it any less dishonest its just a sad reality really.[/quote']

Oh please, get you head out of your rear end and listen to yourself.

First of all, he looked at the linesman and saw that the flag was down. If nothing is given, it's a goal, giving him the right to celebrate. Are you telling me that players shouldn't celebrate after scoring an offside goal which stands?

If it had stood, it would have been shrewd, as his celebration only caused more confusion, and if this were to have taken place a couple of seasons ago in the EPL, I can guarantee you that it would have stood.