Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Red Devils Thread

I very rarely see 'Man Ure' posted and even some United fans use the term 'Man U'. It's a colloquialism.

NB. This is me with moderator hat on' date=' not City fan hat. Not that they're mutually exclusive, but I'm not being confrontational because it's United.[/quote']

I think even you know Stu that one individual continues to use 'Man U' deliberately.

Its general use is annoying though its mainly used as an abbreviation but there are those that use both as offensive terms.

I would argue that either way nobody using the term 'Man Ure' is looking to simply refer to the side, it's derogatory either way.

I always thought it was just a jibe relating to manure... Man U/Manure... As in the stuff used to fertilise soil. A lot of people won't know what the true meaning (me included) was of it.

Originates from those fans I'm afraid.

Hence my genuine displeasure at seeing it used so casually.

Either way surely you can come up with something better without those connotations. By all means take the mick out of our awful performances etc but I know personally it would be nice to never see those names used on this thread out of respect now people are aware.

Originates from those fans I'm afraid.

Hence my genuine displeasure at seeing it used so casually.

Either way surely you can come up with something better without those connotations. By all means take the mick out of our awful performances etc but I know personally it would be nice to never see those names used on this thread out of respect now people are aware.

Doubt its out of disrespect mate. I guarantee 98% of the people who use these abbreviations won't know the true meaning and as such, should be taken with a pinch of salt.

It's been highlighted on here a few times now though.

I remember it being highlighted on more than one occasion... I still totally forgot until the link got posted. Ive just read the article again and ive already forgot how it originated.

Im just saying, things like this need to be taken with a pinch of salt... Its swings and roundabouts on occasions like this as the majority of people won't know the real meaning and what it stands for.

Doubt its out of disrespect mate. I guarantee 98% of the people who use these abbreviations won't know the true meaning and as such' date=' should be taken with a pinch of salt.[/quote']

My point is though regardless of whether they know or not nobody is using the term 'Man ure' and not being disrespectful in some way. The only difference is that the disrespect is ignorant rather than informed.

You can't argue that using it is not deliberately trying to take the mick out of the club in some way. Anyone looking to simply refer to the club usually says United or Man Utd etc

There's no need for anyone to use the term at all, there are plenty of other ways to say Manchester United.

I remember it being highlighted on more than one occasion... I still totally forgot until the link got posted. Ive just read the article again and ive already forgot how it originated.

Im just saying' date=' things like this need to be taken with a pinch of salt... Its swings and roundabouts on occasions like this as the majority of people won't know the real meaning and what it stands for.[/quote']

Not being aware of the origins doesn't make it any less offensive to read IMO. Just reeks of ignorance instead.

Like I've said the best way to explain its offensiveness (at least to the majority of local United fans I know) is to compare it to someone joking about Hillsborough on the Liverpool thread.

Anyway' date='

di Maria put in a Robben-esque performance tonight for Argentina out on the right wing, was an absolute delight to watch.

Making me think if we should try and utilize him in the same manner.

Going to be a massive player for us.[/quote']

It is very difficult to argue against using him on the right wing when he plays as he has.

De Gea

Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

Blind

Herrera Rooney

Di Maria-------------Januzaj

Falcao

My point is though regardless of whether they know or not nobody is using the term 'Man ure' and not being disrespectful in some way. The only difference is that the disrespect is ignorant rather than informed.

You can't argue that using it is not deliberately trying to take the mick out of the club in some way. Anyone looking to simply refer to the club usually says United or Man Utd etc

There's no need for anyone to use the term at all' date=' there are plenty of other ways to say Manchester United.

Not being aware of the origins doesn't make it any less offensive to read IMO. Just reeks of ignorance instead.

Like I've said the best way to explain its offensiveness (at least to the majority of local United fans I know) is to compare it to someone joking about Hillsborough on the Liverpool thread.[/quote']

It's hardly disrespectful if whoever uses it doesn't know the full extent of it, eapecially when its not reknown. If someone says "manure" they instantly link it with fertiliser, or horse sh... Which is what a lot of people would link the term with.... I.E. Man United are horse sh...

If i called a black man a random word... Say... Bopper (it could be any word, i just made that up), would they find it offensive? No. But if a band of EDL followers then started using the term, it would be bracketed as a racist remark. IMO, it isn't offensive unless the person using the term knows full well what it stands for.

EDIT: We are never going to agree on a subject like this so i think its best off being forgotten... All im saying is, dont be too hasty on judging people who arent properly educated in the subject.

It is very difficult to argue against using him on the right wing when he plays as he has.

De Gea

Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

Blind

Herrera Rooney

Di Maria-------------Januzaj

Falcao

That is pretty much how I would like to see us line-up. The only problem position is that one next to Herrera. Do we pick Mata, Rooney or Carrick?

The problem with Rooney at the moment for that position is his passing has been so poor recently. Screaming out for Strootman to join in January.

Certainly as strong a line-up that I've seen fielded for United in quite some time. Key man is going to be di Maria.

That is pretty much how I would like to see us line-up. The only problem position is that one next to Herrera. Do we pick Mata' date=' Rooney or Carrick?

The problem with Rooney at the moment for that position is his passing has been so poor recently. Screaming out for Strootman to join in January.

Certainly as strong a line-up that I've seen fielded for United in quite some time. Key man is going to be di Maria.[/quote']

Key man is Van Gaal. Will he give up on 3 at the back?

It's hardly disrespectful if whoever uses it doesn't know the full extent of it' date=' eapecially when its not reknown. If someone says "manure" they instantly link it with fertiliser, or horse sh... Which is what a lot of people would link the term with.... I.E. Man United are horse sh...

If i called a black man a random word... Say... Bopper (it could be any word, i just made that up), would they find it offensive? No. But if a band of EDL followers then started using the term, it would be bracketed as a racist remark. IMO, it isn't offensive unless the person using the term knows full well what it stands for.

EDIT: We are never going to agree on a subject like this so i think its best off being forgotten... All im saying is, dont be too hasty on judging people who arent properly educated in the subject.[/quote']

I think you've misinterpreted what I'm saying.

I'm saying regardless of intent those using 'Man ure' are using it a derogatory term for excrement. So even without knowing its wider implications they are not being pleasant by saying it.

So either way, informed or not it is being used to cause offence which according to forum rules/ terms of use should not be tolerated.

I'm saying regardless of intent those using 'Man ure' are using it a derogatory term for excrement. So even without knowing its wider implications they are not being pleasant by saying it.

So either way' date=' informed or not it is being used to cause offence which according to forum rules/ terms of use should not be tolerated.[/quote']

People are using it as an equivalent to me calling you a poo poo head. If you're offended by that then you need your head screwed on.

That is pretty much how I would like to see us line-up. The only problem position is that one next to Herrera. Do we pick Mata' date=' Rooney or Carrick?

Certainly as strong a line-up that I've seen fielded for United in quite some time. Key man is going to be di Maria.[/quote']

I don't feel Carrick could do the role by Rooney, doesn't have the legs anymore.

He could maybe do the deeper role and Blind move forward by Rooney but I'd currently much prefer the 3 I suggested as it offers a balance between defense, passing range, determination etc.

Mata could drop in for Herrera but he lacks the physical presence of Herrera who is surprisingly good defensively.

I'd agree Strootman in January could be a huge boost for United and seems very likely to happen.

Key man is Van Gaal. Will he give up on 3 at the back?

I think when Mata, RVP and Rooney were his best three players he was keen on keeping them in the side. Now though its' arguably Di Maria, Falcao and Rooney/RVP which suggests a change in formation is needed to fit them in their better positions.

I could see Rooney accepting a deeper role due to the added responsibility of being captain but all depends IMO on who LVG sees as his best striker.

People are using it as an equivalent to me calling you a poo poo head. If you're offended by that then you need your head screwed on.

Stu of course I'm not offended by someone calling me a poo poo head I'm not 4.

The fact is because it has other connotations and it is also used to be offensive either way it should be discouraged from use.

You would understand if you were a United/ Liverpool fan (who surprisingly tend to be very good at not using it).

So either way' date=' informed or not it is being used to cause offence which according to forum rules/ terms of use should not be tolerated.[/quote']

So would you be offended if i called it Man Poo instead of Man U? I dont think you would. Its like a racism row getting out of hand... You know you cant sing blah blah black sheep in nursery any more because its considered racist? One derogatory term linked with the wrong people and all hell breaks loose. There is no need to take offence to someone who doesnt intentionally mean it. Its not ignorance, its accidental.

Stu of course I'm not offended by someone calling me a poo poo head I'm not 4.

The fact is because it has other connotations and it is also used to be offensive either way it should be discouraged from use.

You would understand if you were a United/ Liverpool fan (who surprisingly tend to be very good at not using it).

I don't use it because I know the background and that some people find if very offensive. I think that those who do use it do so because they aren't aware of the background and subsequent offence it causes.

Please don't post that kind of comment in this thread.

Unless you think Munich was funny and mocking it is too.

No idea what your on about???? I use the term Man Ure as everything about your club stinks..... from the fans who have never been to Manchester all the way up to your millionaire flops (most notibly your captain) who are only there for the money like your new loan signing superstar who's dream is to play for Real Madrid..... any club who makes the man with the worst morals in Britain assistant manager deserves everything that is thrown at them.....you sir and your club are imbeciles ;)

So would you be offended if i called it Man Poo instead of Man U? I dont think you would. Its like a racism row getting out of hand... You know you cant sing blah blah black sheep in nursery any more because its considered racist? One derogatory term linked with the wrong people and all hell breaks loose. There is no need to take offence to someone who doesnt intentionally mean it. Its not ignorance' date=' its accidental.[/quote']

Man Poo nope I wouldn't.

It doesn't have the same connotations, not associated with the song and thus the death of the Busby Babes.

This is nothing to do with racism or any other form of discrimination and I'm not comparing it to that.

Within an informed footballing community the terms usage should be discouraged that is the point I'm making.

No idea what your on about???? I use the term Man Ure as everything about your club stinks..... from the fans who have never been to Manchester all the way up to your millionaire flops (most notibly your captain) who are only there for the money like your new loan signing superstar who's dream is to play for Real Madrid..... any club who makes the man with the worst morals in Britain assistant manager deserves everything that is thrown at them.....you sir and your club are imbeciles ;)

Please don't resort to calling me an imbecile for sticking up for my club and the memories of its deceased.

United and Liverpool are quite unique in the top flight of football in that we've had tragic events that the fans feel passionate about.

I would only ask that now you are aware of the wider implications you show a courteous nature and avoid using it in this thread.

Of course there is nothing to stop you joining those who will use it in spite of this.

Man Poo nope I wouldn't.

It doesn't have the same connotations' date=' not associated with the song and thus the death of the Busby Babes.

This is nothing to do with racism or any other form of discrimination and I'm not comparing it to that.

Within an informed footballing community the terms usage should be discouraged that is the point I'm making.[/quote']

Yes, but what i am saying is people dont know these connotations and what the saying represents, football community or not. I didnt say it shouldnt be discouraged, i said dont be as quick as to jump down the throat of someone who has used it, thats all.

Yes' date=' but what i am saying is people dont know these connotations and what the saying represents, football community or not. I didnt say it shouldnt be discouraged, i said dont be as quick as to jump down the throat of someone who has used it, thats all.[/quote']

I've already apologised for being quick to judge on it, but if I see it on this thread I will point it out, inform and actively discourage it like I have done tonight and previously.

We both want the same thing it appears anyway so lets set aside this minor quibbles.

I hope now you're refreshed on your United history you'll continue to not use the term.

For as long as we give words these immense powers, for as long as they are the monster under the bed to our society, those who want to be seen as edgy will use them exactly because they’re told not to. By relaxing, you are not dismissing the centuries of pain that the words once represented. Instead, you remove a key weapon of the uneducated and myopic. Let comedians ridicule, friends banter. Exercise some common sense.