Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Manchester United Thread

First game of the season I missed; I didn't even realise there was EPL action this weekend; a big dumb from my part.

Can anyone who watched the game tell me how it was?

Stroll in the park.

Rooney,Rojo and Di Maria(FINALLY) were excellent particularly the captain who dominated the midfield. Falcao impressed me as well holding the play efficiently. Blind imo kept on ticking the clock nicely as well.

In the last 10 mins,they did give us something to think about but all in all yes it was a very good performance.

Only Januzaj and Jones had average games.

Happy with the result and think we finally got our act together and played good, well our individual stars did anyway. It was against a poor Leicster team so won't read to much into it. We sit 5 points behind those rodent neighbours of our, second spot if much a possibility if we continue to lift out game as we did and those pests drop more points along the way which is pretty much guaranteed.

We need to carry what form we pick up week in week out not only a game here or there. Happy to see RVP scoring again and of course Falcaos goal will give him that boost he needs.

Let's be honest here' date=' all the goals scored were pretty sloppy - Falcao's though is debatable.[/quote']

how was the RvP's goal sloppy?

it isn't about the goals. Its about the overall performance which was of another standard yesterday then it has been is recent past.

how was the RvP's goal sloppy?

it isn't about the goals. Its about the overall performance which was of another standard yesterday then it has been is recent past.

van Persie's goal was offside - it's pretty self-explanatory :rolleyes:

Looks like you finally got rid of Anderson then' date=' off to Internacional on Monday if all the chip paper is to be believed.

News that deserves to be celebrated like a title win :P[/quote']

I think it's a bad move for Internacional, just look at the size of him I think Anderson and Chip paper have been brothers in arms for quite some time now....

I didn't want to half arse this so spent a bit more time thinking about the game against Leicester.

The negatives, I actually disagree with some on here about Adnan Januzaj.

I actually believe Wayne Rooney was letting the side down a bit yesterday and that Januzaj was showing a little more intent.

I am obviously a big fan of Rooney but I feel like he needs a defined role in a defined formation or he tries to do a bit of everything which isn't what we need right now. Too many times yesterday he would try a long ball that was a bit off when he could have just kept possession. It's good to look forward but the delivery needs to be better.

Januzaj on the other hand was positioning himself much better today and displaying a bit more of his technical ability. He didn't have a stunner but again more glimpses of the potential came out and I think that he deserves to get another shot at starting a few games.

Now Leicester did back off massively right away in this game which invited a lot of the play from United but I still feel Januzaj showed that in those situations he's a player who will try to pick the lock so to speak which is something I feel Rooney has been lacking. He tries to kick the door in, rather than sneak through it.

Di Maria had a good game showing that with some more movement around him he can causes problems but I still feel he needs to be operating out wide rather than through the middle as he is left with little space to operate. He's a quality player but I know that out wide he will be able to beat any RB or LB in the league and deliver a good ball into the box, centrally he has about 3 players to beat at least which is asking a lot.

Falcao while he scored still has a long way to go before anyone comes close to offering £43m for him. Right now I'd take him for about £15-20m but much more than that and I'd be wondering why we aren't shopping around.

Despite a few gripes here and there it was a very good first half performance. The second half was very disappointing because we didn't go in for the kill. Admittedly it is suicide to do so in the first few minutes of a half but later on in the game Leicester were there for the taking and despite being 3-0 we could have got more from the game.

Instead by being more negative we conceded when really we should have walked away with a clean sheet.

On the positive side LVG didn't play 3 at the back and it showed how much more freedom we have and attacking intent we have when we don't. I think it's worth sticking to 4 for now because we are more likely to outscore the opponents that way and with De Gea in goal we know we can let a few things slip through the cracks. 4-4-2 diamond or whatever you want to call it allows us to play a bit more like a typical United team, quicker attacking football.

The biggest positive from yesterday though was Daley Blind, when you have Di Maria, Januzaj, Rooney, RVP and Falcao in front of you you know that you probably aren't going to get much support defensively.

Blind showed that at least against smaller sides he can handle that responsibility well and even began playing more forward balls, including the one to RVP (even though he was marginally offside) so that's a big positive that he's showing that maturity and restraint to sit back and protect.

So to summarise, very happy with another 3 points but still room for improvement. To be just 5 points behind City and 2nd place is amazing considering the bad press and negativity about our season, as things stand though I'd be happy if we kept this going until the end of the season and finished 3rd or 4th so long as we don't let City get too far ahead on points.

I didn't want to half arse this so spent a bit more time thinking about the game against Leicester.

The negatives' date=' I actually disagree with some on here about Adnan Januzaj.

I actually believe Wayne Rooney was letting the side down a bit yesterday and that Januzaj was showing a little more intent.

I am obviously a big fan of Rooney but I feel like he needs a defined role in a defined formation or he tries to do a bit of everything which isn't what we need right now. Too many times yesterday he would try a long ball that was a bit off when he could have just kept possession. It's good to look forward but the delivery needs to be better.

Januzaj on the other hand was positioning himself much better today and displaying a bit more of his technical ability. He didn't have a stunner but again more glimpses of the potential came out and I think that he deserves to get another shot at starting a few games.

Now Leicester did back off massively right away in this game which invited a lot of the play from United but I still feel Januzaj showed that in those situations he's a player who will try to pick the lock so to speak which is something I feel Rooney has been lacking. He tries to kick the door in, rather than sneak through it.

[b']I believe that against a side like Leicester, you can take the risk of playing some long balls that can break through the defense. I agree that Rooney has been doing a bit too many jobs at the same time but yesterday imo he did a decent job in the center albeit against a lowly Leicester side.[/b]

On the contrary, I believe that though Januzaj was holding his position well but this is not really what was needed against Leicester. In the whole game, there wasn't a single occasion where he was able to cross the ball or dribble past defenders into the box. All of his crosses got deflected. Just a few passes here and there and nothing more. Wasn't able to combine with Shaw as well. Rooney isn't a Di Maria or a Silva or Januzaj as you said, he hasn't got the pace to sneak in.

Di Maria had a good game showing that with some more movement around him he can causes problems but I still feel he needs to be operating out wide rather than through the middle as he is left with little space to operate. He's a quality player but I know that out wide he will be able to beat any RB or LB in the league and deliver a good ball into the box, centrally he has about 3 players to beat at least which is asking a lot.

Seeing Di Maria have a good game was refreshing as I was really waiting for it to happen but I would like him to operate in the center really which opens a lot more options for him rather then playing on the wings and crossing the ball in as then he can only cross it or dribble inside and have a shot(which he has been very bad at).

Falcao while he scored still has a long way to go before anyone comes close to offering £43m for him. Right now I'd take him for about £15-20m but much more than that and I'd be wondering why we aren't shopping around.

Yeah totally agree. Paying 43m for this Falcao will be insane

Despite a few gripes here and there it was a very good first half performance. The second half was very disappointing because we didn't go in for the kill. Admittedly it is suicide to do so in the first few minutes of a half but later on in the game Leicester were there for the taking and despite being 3-0 we could have got more from the game.

Instead by being more negative we conceded when really we should have walked away with a clean sheet.

Yeah agree here as well. LvG goes onto the defensive which is really disappointing and this is not the first time really. the instant match that comes to mind Is the Stoke game where we could have conceded twice in the last mins

On the positive side LVG didn't play 3 at the back and it showed how much more freedom we have and attacking intent we have when we don't. I think it's worth sticking to 4 for now because we are more likely to outscore the opponents that way and with De Gea in goal we know we can let a few things slip through the cracks. 4-4-2 diamond or whatever you want to call it allows us to play a bit more like a typical United team, quicker attacking football.

The biggest positive from yesterday though was Daley Blind, when you have Di Maria, Januzaj, Rooney, RVP and Falcao in front of you you know that you probably aren't going to get much support defensively.

Blind showed that at least against smaller sides he can handle that responsibility well and even began playing more forward balls, including the one to RVP (even though he was marginally offside) so that's a big positive that he's showing that maturity and restraint to sit back and protect.

So to summarise, very happy with another 3 points but still room for improvement. To be just 5 points behind City and 2nd place is amazing considering the bad press and negativity about our season, as things stand though I'd be happy if we kept this going until the end of the season and finished 3rd or 4th so long as we don't let City get too far ahead on points.

Spot on with the rest

Andy Kellett.

Only really signed to help the youth team

Following quote is from BBC Sport by Simon Stone

"A series of loans have reduced the options available to Manchester United Under-21 boss Warren Joyce. So when the decision was made to let 19-year-old Swiss youngster Saidy Janko compete for a first-team place at Bolton for the remainder of the season' date=' Joyce needed his squad replenishing. Kellett has been offered the chance of a lifetime, one he could not have thought possible a week ago."[/quote']

Played most the season on loan at Plymouth and only has 4 senior apps to his name at Bolton :rolleyes:

Strange signing to say the least.

A signing is a signing' date=' nothing strange about it.:rolleyes: someone has obviously seen some good in him and decided that he can bring/do somthing for the team/squad.

Nothing strange at all.:rolleyes:[/color']

A signing is a signing' date=' nothing strange about it.:rolleyes: someone has obviously seen some good in him and decided that he can bring/do somthing for the team/squad.

Nothing strange at all.:rolleyes:[/color']

Bringing in someone who's hardly featured for their parent club, bear in mind that we're talking about a lower league team, and letting one of the most promising youngsters go in the opposite direction? That is most definitely strange.

Strange signing is what i'm thinking too,but read that he's brought because U21 team already have a lot of players loaned out so they need cover for U21 team. Not the most inspired deadline day signing but at least you've done well to ship out Fletcher and Anderson

Good to see LvG's not wasting time in letting those players go who are clearly not up to the required standard.

Zaha, Fletcher and Ando should be followed by a few more throughout the summer.

I'm convinced we'll invest heavily again in the summer too as there's still areas for improvement throughout the team (excluding GK).

Good to see LvG's not wasting time in letting those players go who are clearly not up to the required standard.

Zaha' date=' Fletcher and Ando should be followed by a few more throughout the summer.

I'm convinced we'll invest heavily again in the summer too as there's still areas for improvement throughout the team (excluding GK).[/quote']

Fletch and Ando leaving suggests a CM on the horizon, I too am convinced of a big summer spend now.

Hummels seems a dead cert if we get top 4 but I'm excited to see who else might be arriving.

FA Cup replay tonight... hopefully we don't embarrass ourselves too much.

Fletch and Ando leaving suggests a CM on the horizon' date=' I too am convinced of a big summer spend now.

Hummels seems a dead cert if we get top 4 but I'm excited to see who else might be arriving.

FA Cup replay tonight... hopefully we don't embarrass ourselves too much.[/quote']

I'd love Varane or Laporte.

I do hope that we look at players with youth on their side, also a must is pace.

Can't understand why Herrera isn't starting again.