Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Manchester United Thread

Playing like absolute turd' date=' 1 defeat in 19.

Not all bad.[/quote']

I think this is the dilemma that United fans are facing. Not playing well but winning. What would you rather?

Rooney isn't in the keepers line of sight' date=' nothing wrong with Herrera's goal.[/quote']

For me the point is that if Rooney wasn't there the keeper more than likely saves it.

Shocking start to the second half; Falcao rightfully subbed off. The game opened up after the opener. Still not good, convincing footy, but I'll take it.

Very surprised to possibly see the two worst players bring back United in the game. Fellaini as a CF/ST hurts my brain and watching Herrera play is like watching a twelve-year old trying fancy kicks and flicks for the first time. Blind was also absolutely shocking - showing no urgency even when they were a goal down. Young made the difference coming up and taking the game to PNE.

Preston were very unlucky in my opinion. They were kind of fortunate for their opener (Dave should have kept that one out), but all of United's goals could/should have been called off. Rooney was definitely offside for the first one, as the goalkeeper is clearly tricked by his presence. His third goal is also a joke; as you probably won't see a clearer dive this season. Fellaini's goal could have been called off as well (the usual elbow/hand work).

Dì Maria MOTM, Young close second.

Was there imposters in Di Maria & Falcao's shirts in the first half? Cuz they can't be the same players as this half?

Dì Maria was also pretty good in the second half in my opinion.

One could (would) argue about Falcao though...

Changing my mind on the dive. Thought Rooney had hurdled the keeper but he fell having gone past him.

Not playing well and getting points is good if the signs are there that the play can improve. United haven't shown anything to that effect IMO - you're at your best when you stick Fellaini up front for crying out loud.

I think this is the dilemma that United fans are facing. Not playing well but winning. What would you rather?

Winning.

It can't get much worse in terms of performances than it has in recent weeks. But at least the points will hopefully see us squeeze into the CL and there will be big money spent in the summer again.

Still so many players that need to be shown the door at Old Trafford.

The football has been dire for a number of years though, so it's nothing new to see.

With this formation and set of players, I have hope going into the future. Its not about a lower league opposition beacause we were dreadful against Cambridge and Yeovil. Anyone who doesn't think we were a LOT better today then we were against Cambridge and Yeovil are wrong I'm afraid.

I don't care about whose played upfront or at the back really. If he's getting goals, I am happy.

Rooney one is a certain dive but this has become the part of the game sadly.

I think we'll hammer you in the next round. Someone's going to give you a good hiding and i reckon it'll be us. Bookmark it. If i'm right' date=' i'll laugh at you. Wrong and i'll give you some of the Tony treatment.[/quote']

If it were at the Emirates, I'd probably agree with you.

However, OT is a different story, not because they play any better there, but their game is much more stable.

Tight game, United to snatch it controversially in my opinion.

Roy Hodgson is a disgrace. I'd have sacked him just for tonights performance.

Clear dive, it's a scandal that it got so easily overlooked. Had that been Drogba/suarez there would have been outrage. He hangs his leg out after the jump, begging for contact. It is clear cheating.

Second goal is 50/50, but shoe on the other foot in front of Stretford end and I think he gives the freekick.

First one is offside. He is not in keepers line of view but the keeper cannot make the save until the ball is past Rooney as the ball could change direction. If Rooney is not there then he saves it easily. If that is not interfering then what is?

Poor officiating on the whole, Davies should have been off also. I think the reason dowd was lenient on him was because he had a concern about the equaliser.

The performance was once again shocking, but we won.

We've not been a great footballing side for many years now but we are somehow winning games.

At this point whatever gets us into the top 4 I'm content with, Fellaini up top, Falcao on a plane back to Monaco, whatever.

Tonight was poor, I mean really poor, we dominated possession completely but we used the ball less than a Catholic nun with a condom.

I would fancy Arsenal to beat us in the next round, as soon as their ball was drawn I felt disheartened because I feel like they will give us a real game and I just don't see how any of the United player's tonight will cause many problems, bar perhaps Ashley Young, which is crazy seeing how last season he was IMO one for the scrap pile.

Essentially this United side leaves me confused, I'm pleased we're somehow winning but the victories seem sour.

Well done.

Controversy and the result aside (I don't think there was much wrong with your first, but Rooney's dive was laughable and something that I was sad to see), I enjoyed the game. We gave it a really good go, which was the very least I expected in such a big game in which we were the underdogs.

It was a shame to see Stuckmann (Dave :P) on the wrong end of blatant cheating after he didn't really put a foot wrong in the game (perhaps the Fellaini goal aside), but it happens. It'd have been even worse had he been sent off in said incident.

Fellaini was a pain in the arse and all... Seriously. Every bloody ball upfield found its way to him! Can't blame you mind.

Whether or not it was a great performance on your end, you're a Premiership side and we just weren't meant to be the giant killers this time around. Besides, what sort of world would be living in, in which two giant killers would be in the quarter-finals ;)

We went one up and the ground went crazy as a result, Sir Tom Finney was given an incredible reception and it was a full house. Every cloud.

Edit: Hmm, I'm in two minds about the Herrera goal now. Whilst I've always been of the opinion that you aren't interfering with play unless it's blatantly obvious, Stuckmann seemed to be confused due to Rooney's position and as a result didn't know if he was going to try and knock it in himself.

Edit 2: I thought at the time that Davies was let off a bit, but I haven't seen a replay yet.

The performance was once again shocking' date=' but we won.

We've not been a great footballing side for many years now but we are somehow winning games.

At this point whatever gets us into the top 4 I'm content with, Fellaini up top, Falcao on a plane back to Monaco, whatever.

Tonight was poor, I mean really poor, we dominated possession completely but we used the ball less than a Catholic nun with a condom.

I would fancy Arsenal to beat us in the next round, as soon as their ball was drawn I felt disheartened because I feel like they will give us a real game and I just don't see how any of the United player's tonight will cause many problems, bar perhaps Ashley Young, which is crazy seeing how last season he was IMO one for the scrap pile.

Essentially this United side leaves me confused, I'm pleased we're somehow winning but the victories seem sour.[/quote']

May I ask what you found so 'Poor' about United's performance?

Count the amount of touches every player takes on the ball before giving some kind of a pass (on average) and get back to me afterwards.

Also divide that average amount per player by his price tag.

Are you implying that the amount of touches by a player(s) should dictate their performance?:rolleyes:

Value of an player should have nothing to do with the performance

Are you implying that the amount of touches by a player(s) should dictate their performance?:rolleyes:

Yes I am.

The more touches' date=' the slower the play, the worse the quality of the play; it's not rocket science.

Value of an player should have nothing to do with the performance

Sweet cream on an ice cream sandwich...

Yes I am.

The more touches' date=' the slower the play, the worse the quality of the play; it's not rocket science.

Sweet cream on an ice cream sandwich...[/quote']

You're absolutely correct because Barcelona lack quality in their game:rolleyes:.

You lack common sense.

Yes I am.

Sweet cream on an ice cream sandwich...[/quote']

You're absolutely correct because Barcelona lack quality in their game:rolleyes:.

You lack common sense.

He's absolutely correct. Because you have Pirlo, Xavi, and Xabi Alonso in your midfield :rolleyes:

We should be able to beat you quite easily judging how your playing' date=' but no doubt De Gea will have another blinder and we lost at OT as always :P[/quote']

The way we are playing? You lot have had your little run of form, a lucky period, it's over now. I'm the oppisite, I think this is our chance to beat you lot again.