Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Manchester United Thread

Looking at Smalling he excels at defensive headers' date='clearances,tackles etc,but on the ball is next to useless.

This can be worked around of course but isn't ideal.

Certainly ain't the next Franco Baresi.[/quote']

He's a defender he isn't going to be good on the ball no. As long as he does those things you pointed out, it will be great for us. Which defender is going good on the ball? There job is to clear, header away and tackle, why would anyone want a defender doing a Ronaldo or Messi.

VG had turned him into somthing good for us and I hope he continues his form under VG. He might b t be the next Barsei, but he can be the next Rio or Vidic for us.

He's a defender he isn't going to be good on the ball no. As long as he does those things you pointed out' date=' it will be great for us. Which defender is going good on the ball? There job is to clear, header away and tackle, why would anyone want a defender doing a Ronaldo or Messi.

VG had turned him into somthing good for us and I hope he continues his form under VG. He might b t be the next Barsei, but he can be the next Rio or Vidic for us.[/color']

Plenty of defenders are good on the ball, some of the best in the world have been great defenders and great ball players. Utd have had quite a few over the years, including Rio and Blanc. To be the next Rio he will have to learn what to do with the ball once he gets it.

It would perhaps be prudent before accusing someone of being an idiot to check your own grammar.

Its a forum and the internet.... Because I dont put a ' it makes someone an idiot.... But if that what defines an idiot to you than fair enough. (I made a grammar mistake in that first word too!) :P

It wasn't a waste of money and Rojo' date=' as previously stated is a CB and has done very well at United since arriving.[/quote']

At the World Cup and for Sporting he played mostly at left back, with the odd tme at center back when players were injured. He can play center back (Many full backs can) but at the time of buying he was mainly a left back. Don't think hes world class either by Uniteds standard anyway. You have the money to buy the best but failed last summer

Equally I would argue that Herrera is a quality addition (someone I've been a fan of since he shone in the U21 Euros) and Shaw was coveted by many big clubs and is very young, he has time to justify any price tag.

Not done anything amazing though. Again with your budget you should be getting someone with a much bigger pedigree than Herrera.

Rojo is a fully fledged CB, he may have played at LB elsewhere but the majority of his United appearances have been at the heart of defence so your statement is incorrect.

You just agreed with me that he was a Left back before you signed him..

Also I would love to hear who you believe should have been signed last summer, there were no better CB's available for United to buy and it looks as though Hummels, a superior CB in theory, is most likely going to end up at Old Trafford if he decides to move.

Garay. Class CB, went for peanuts and you can easily beat Zenits wages. You have the fund to sign Miranda, in fact most of the top CBs

He's a defender he isn't going to be good on the ball no.

Another classic :D

At the World Cup and for Sporting he played mostly at left back' date=' with the odd left back when players were injured. He can play center back (Many full backs can) but at the time of buying [b']he was mainly a left back[/b]. Don't think hes world class either by Uniteds standard anyway. You have the money to buy the best but failed last summer

You sure about that?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marcos-rojo/leistungsdaten/spieler/93176/saison/2013/plus/1#PO1

He's a defender he isn't going to be good on the ball no. As long as he does those things you pointed out' date=' it will be great for us. Which defender is going good on the ball? There job is to clear, header away and tackle, why would anyone want a defender doing a Ronaldo or Messi.

VG had turned him into somthing good for us and I hope he continues his form under VG. He might b t be the next Barsei, but he can be the next Rio or Vidic for us.[/color']

Do you even know who Franco Baresi is?

In case you don't, which I imagine is the case, he makes Rio look like a donkey on drugs, even in his heydey. Vidic (only) comes within touching distance.

Do you even know who Franco Baresi is?

In case you don't' date=' which I imagine is the case, he makes Rio look like a donkey on drugs, even in his heydey. Vidic (only) comes within touching distance.[/quote']

I think to be fair he meant he won't be the next Baresi, but instead could be as good as someone like Vida.

It is nice to have centre halves who are comfortable with the ball though, so long as they don't have the confidence of David Luiz as that's how mistakes happen.

I quite like what Pulis did with the Palace centre halves, touch the ball twice and if you still have it and no pass is on just boot it. Works well because they were such limited players. But it sounds like that's what Tony might want from a United centre half, which to me isn't great. They're a team that should be having a high percentage of the possession, not needlessly giving it away when they have enough talent to play it out from the back.

Its a forum and the internet.... Because I dont put a ' it makes someone an idiot.... But if that what defines an idiot to you than fair enough. (I made a grammar mistake in that first word too!) :P

All I'm saying MaoaM is if you feel it is acceptable to call anyone an idiot at least make sure you're 100% correct in everything you are saying and doing' date=' I don't think you are an idiot at all but I'm merely pointing out how petty it is to call someone that over small things, in this case your grammar.

Or, preferably, don't call people idiots for having an opinion that is different to yours.

At the World Cup and for Sporting he played mostly at left back, with the odd tme at center back when players were injured. He can play center back (Many full backs can) but at the time of buying he was mainly a left back. Don't think hes world class either by Uniteds standard anyway. You have the money to buy the best but failed last summer

Sturridge played at RW for Chelsea before joining Liverpool, is he still then in your eyes a RW?

Gareth Bale started off as a LB at Spurs before going to Real Madrid, is he still a LB?

Patrice Evra was a striker in his youth days, does that mean Manchester United played him out of position as a LB?

My point is that it makes no difference where a player played before, if he plays well in the position his current team gives him. Rojo has been arguably United's best CB which is actually very good especially in this second half of the season where we have relied less on De Gea. He was signed as a CB, he plays at CB. If he was playing at LB all the time I would agree with you, but he's not.

There was no one else available that would join in the last two windows. I am very happy to wait a season and go for Hummels who actually is a very top quality CB rather than buy someone substandard.

Not done anything amazing though. Again with your budget you should be getting someone with a much bigger pedigree than Herrera.

Herrera has changed our side? He's mobile with an eye for a pass and gets a few goals too. I'd say he's contributed as well as I would have liked him too' date=' he's a very good player.

You just agreed with me that he was a Left back before you signed him..

He played games at LB before yes but many players can play many positions and change between clubs as I've outlined above. You're wrong about Rojo.

Garay. Class CB' date=' went for peanuts and you can easily beat Zenits wages. You have the fund to sign Miranda, in fact most of the top CBs

[/quote']

I'm not at all fussed about Garay he is not a world class CB and would not be a huge deal better than Rojo, he's hardly been the best CB in Russia by a mile.

Miranda was 29/30 and again I'd rather we waited to get Hummels in the summer then have an older CB like him.

The fact is no top CB was available so rather than just spending on rubbish United waited.

Guess not. #fail :D (You can call me an idiot for that ben :P)

MaoaM you're not an idiot, but LOL.

I've read that United has allegedly found a deal with Hoffenheim for Firmino' date=' around £19m to get the Brazilian wing to move to the reds in the summer.

Is there any validity to this news?[/quote']

Almost every player gets linked with us these days so I won't read much into it until something more concrete comes up.

Depay's manager yesterday confirmed that he is ready to leave the club and take the big step in his career. Just make this happen LvG.

I've read that United has allegedly found a deal with Hoffenheim for Firmino' date=' around £19m to get the Brazilian wing to move to the reds in the summer.

Is there any validity to this news?[/quote']

As Raahizar has said implied I'd find it more likely that LVG and United would look to add Depay to our ranks, as Depay is an out and out pacey winger and for me Firmino operates more as a No10/Wing a bit like Kagawa at Dortmund.

I like Firmino, he's a goalscorer and quite gifted and for £19m I would definitely take that chance.

I do however feel that in this case it's probably a load of rubbish, it seems to have come out of the blue from tabloids first, never a good sign.

I'd be very surprised, albeit pleasantly, if United were interested and bidding on Firmino in the next window.

Good to see LvG sticking with the same line-up from those who are available.

Long may RvP continue with his current injury as I don't want this formation or line-up to be tinkered with to compensate fitting him in.

Expecting a win by 3 or 4 goals today, but will take a 1-0 with everyone coming through unscathed ahead of the next two games.

Good to see LvG sticking with the same line-up from those who are available.

Long may RvP continue with his current injury as I don't want this formation or line-up to be tinkered with to compensate fitting him in.

Expecting a win by 3 or 4 goals today' date=' but will take a 1-0 with everyone coming through unscathed ahead of the next two games.[/quote']

Won't be available for the City game either, which is good news.

I quite fancy this team to get a result next week.

I reckon we'd be competing for the title if Rooney had started up top on his own all season. Better late than never I suppose. I would do unspeakable things to Herrera. What a lovely little player!

I'd love to know why Falcao keeps coming on. Utterly pointless player.

Aston Villa really deserve to go down - any team unwilling to play football should not be allowed to stay in the Premier League.

Wut? They did alright. Went with 2 up top and looked dangerous on the counter.

I reckon we'd be competing for the title if Rooney had started up top on his own all season. Better late than never I suppose. I would do unspeakable things to Herrera. What a lovely little player!

I'd love to know why Falcao keeps coming on. Utterly pointless player.

Well' date=' Rooney does love to score against Aston Villa, so I wouldn't really take today's (spectacular) goal (and decent overall performance) as a trend suggesting what United would have been like had he started up front all season long.

Plus, if you look at it in another way, he was absolute garbage against Liverpool last week, and has been this season against quite a few stronger opposition, not to mention his extremely slow start to the new year.

Herrera sure is upping his game every single turn, which is extremely refreshing to see. The triangle formed by Valencia, Herrera and Mata was a delight to watch, not to mention both his goals, being of a reasonably high quality.

I have high hopes to see what van Gaal will make of the team once Nani returns; I get the feeling he can make a lethal partnership with a player like Herrera.

As for Falcao, it just doesn't seem like a match, albeit made in heaven, which is extremely disappointing. It would genuinely surprise me if he is to start a game before the end of this season, especially once RvP returns, unless of course United head into the last game of the season with nothing to play for anymore.

Wut? They did alright. Went with 2 up top and looked dangerous on the counter.

How you can call that "all right" boggles my mind.

No manager is going to approach the second half the same way they approach the first, especially not if they've been dominated throughout the first half and are as a result a goal down at half-time.

Villa's initial tactics were understandable; playing a team in form, it would be pretty much suicidal pressing high from the start in order to try to that crucial early goal. They were always going to play on the counter, which is exactly what they did, and for the first forty minutes, did somewhat successfully (by not conceding).

However, the second half was a complete let down; being a goal down, it is almost inexcusable to approach the game the way Sherwood did - maintaining that ultra defensive structure, no pressure whatsoever, very little concentration when going forward and very little cohesion between the different lines.

From the go, Sherwood should have informed his men that something was definitely there for the taking (see Leicester, Swansea, Southampton, etc.), which is something he most definitely didn't do, as no player took any initiative until the introduction of Joe Cole.

He is now claiming that "Villa were always in the game", which is a load of tarnished testicles to be frank. Villa only somewhat got in the game in the last ten minutes. Cole should have been on much, much sooner. Two strikers up front hasn't worked for them at all; why they didn't exploit the wings more is also beyond me.

Well' date=' Rooney does love to score against Aston Villa, so I wouldn't really take today's (spectacular) goal (and decent overall performance) as a trend suggesting what United would have been like had he started up front all season long.

Plus, if you look at it in another way, he was absolute garbage against Liverpool last week, and has been this season against quite a few stronger opposition, not to mention his extremely slow start to the new year.

Herrera sure is upping his game every single turn, which is extremely refreshing to see. The triangle formed by Valencia, Herrera and Mata was a delight to watch, not to mention both his goals, being of a reasonably high quality.

I have high hopes to see what van Gaal will make of the team once Nani returns; I get the feeling he can make a lethal partnership with a player like Herrera.

As for Falcao, it just doesn't seem like a match, albeit made in heaven, which is extremely disappointing. It would genuinely surprise me if he is to start a game before the end of this season, especially once RvP returns, unless of course United head into the last game of the season with nothing to play for anymore.[/quote']

It's not based on today at all. We've looked a lot more fluent with him up top alone than we've done with anyone else. Which is not all that surprising I suppose given that RVP stands still most of the time and Falcao is so slow, I sometimes wonder if he's going backwards.

He's usually garbage at Anfield (and at Goodison as well) for some reason. That aside, he was our best player against City away, scored against Arsenal home and away and was probably our best player against Liverpool at home as well. Rooney's undoubtedly a big game player.

Nani! Now that's something I'm looking forward to. Huge fan of Nani but I don't see how he fits in with Di Maria. A front 3 of Nani, Di Maria and Rooney has the potential of being the best thing ever if they are all on their game or sunday league stuff if they are not. Like Di Maria though, Nani guarantees you creativity.

At the start of the season I'd have said get rid of Young but that stance is very hard to justify after his performances.

As for Villa, the tactics were fairly obvious and made sense. As long as it was 1-0 they were always in the game which I imagine was the plan regardless of how they played. It's not like they sat back and defended with 10 men either. They tried to get forward but weren't good enough.

Decent game' date=' Herrera MOTM, Blind close second.

Aston Villa really deserve to go down - any team unwilling to play football should not be allowed to stay in the Premier League.[/quote']

Lol.

Firstly; given the state of the majority of United's "play" or "lump it up to Fellaini" that is a hilarious statement.

Secondly; the majority of teams that go to Old Trafford (or the Emirates/Stamford Bridge/Anfield/Etihad for that matter) go with the intention of being hard to beat as opposed to playing expansive football. That would be suicide.

Lol.

Firstly; given the state of the majority of United's "play" or "lump it up to Fellaini" that is a hilarious statement.

Secondly; the majority of teams that go to Old Trafford (or the Emirates/Stamford Bridge/Anfield/Etihad for that matter) go with the intention of being hard to beat as opposed to playing expansive football. That would be suicide.

Firstly, being the lowest scoring team over all (significant) divisions in the UK or playing ugly at times in order to get a result? I know which one I'd choose. Villa have been rank, and deserve to go down. Give me one reason why they shouldn't and I'll happily listen.

Secondly, as I mentioned below, my disgust is not towards the way they lined up and played in the first half; more towards the way Sherwood showed how incapable he is as a manager by naïvely leaving his team totally unchanged at the start of the second half.

Villa could have gotten something out of this game was it not for sheer stupidity.

Magical, simply magical. We sit 3rd and rightly so. What a turn around from the start of the season. Herrerer is going to do us Wanderers in years to come.

VGL has got us playing some good football, and as a team. Very happy with the result. Villa were on a decent run and good form, but that all goes out the window when you come to old Trafford.

Top four is very much our likely hood now, CL football is coming back to Old Trafford.