Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Re: Official Manchester United Thread

LVG was greeted a group of supporters with life-limiting illnesses at the biannual Manchester Foundation Dream Day

1 fan made a list and gave it to LVG

Mats Hummels £36m

Gareth Bale £120m

Paul Pogba £75m

Nathaniel Clyne £15m

Memphis Depay £30m

Jackson Martinez £25m

He also said don't sign Falcao and sell RVP

The guy has the right ideas but prices are high here and there on few' date=' but getting them who knows, prob not Bale

LVG has identified Gundogan as the new Carrick, Gundogan a great player but hopeful his injures is all in the past now[/quote']

Who is Nathaniel Clyne and why that much money for him? Honestly never heard about him.

Nothing on sky sports or bbc sport.

What's your source?

I would bet my bottom dollar his source is one of those "news now" threads...

Load of old pony transfer rumours....if you read those things every day every side would be buying and selling 50+ players a week :o

News if true

Real Madrid have reportedly given up on a move for Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea and turned their attention to signing Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic. - Jamie won't like that

We put a £22mil bid in for Hummels it seems

Quite happy to sell Begovic for a hugely over inflated price to Real or Inter or anyone else that wants to pay us top money for him.

He is an excellent keeper but hasn't really shown it this season. We also have two good young keepers ready to step up and replace him in Butland and Bachmann.

Jamie would be delighted like any other Stoke fan like myself :P

Honestly, Begovic can go as long as he doesn't go to any other team in the Prem (in which case I don't think they need him anyway), then I'd be happy to see him progress his career! He hasn't been half as good as his last few seasons in this one and I think it's time we moved him on and gave Butland the opportunity he deserves, if we do sell him I 110% think the time is now!

EDIT: De Gea is definitely better than Begovic anyway, and I wouldn't have breathed those words 1/2 years ago.

Jamie would be delighted like any other Stoke fan like myself :P

Honestly' date=' Begovic can go as long as he doesn't go to any other team in the Prem (in which case I don't think they need him anyway), then I'd be happy to see him progress his career! He hasn't been half as good as his last few seasons in this one and I think it's time we moved him on and gave Butland the opportunity he deserves, if we do sell him I 110% think the time is now!

EDIT: De Gea is definitely better than Begovic anyway, and I wouldn't have breathed those words 1/2 years ago.[/quote']

Agree with this.

No doubt Begovic would be a big loss but we are a small club and if we can get £15-20 million for him then I think we should sell him. Butland obviously isn't as good and still needs to develop in areas but he has shown he has the potential to be a good keeper.

LVG was greeted a group of supporters with life-limiting illnesses at the biannual Manchester Foundation Dream Day

1 fan made a list and gave it to LVG

Mats Hummels £36m

Gareth Bale £120m

Paul Pogba £75m

Nathaniel Clyne £15m

Memphis Depay £30m

Jackson Martinez £25m

He also said don't sign Falcao and sell RVP

The guy has the right ideas but prices are high here and there on few' date=' but getting them who knows, prob not Bale

LVG has identified Gundogan as the new Carrick, Gundogan a great player but hopeful his injures is all in the past now[/quote']

Thats a great list, hope it pans out for us, I don't see Pogba coming back though. Does anyone know what disease the guy actually has.

Sounds like Gundogan has all but signed on the dotted line, according to the German version of SSN (and a few other reliable sources according to others, though I'm just going off what I've seen with my own eyes). Contract to be signed this weekend.

Sounds like Gundogan has all but signed on the dotted line' date=' according to the German version of SSN (and a few other reliable sources according to others, though I'm just going off what I've seen with my own eyes). Contract to be signed this weekend.[/quote']

Yeah, seen those same rumours, several different fees banded about.

Was a majestic player before his injury, would be a fantastic signing (if we get him) if he were to rediscover that same form.

Breaking on SSN too (although they're not the most reliable)

Depay next ;)

Sounds like Gundogan has all but signed on the dotted line' date=' according to the German version of SSN (and a few other reliable sources according to others, though I'm just going off what I've seen with my own eyes). Contract to be signed this weekend.[/quote']

It's now on the Sky Sports website :) article is yet to be put up though.

Hasn't really filled up to his potential' date='suffers badly with injuries.[/quote']

Well, we need another Ando.

10390093_649468195141910_6640265810517091980_n.jpg

I'm no fan of Tony but that comment clearly had no intent to cause offence. Can we stop being melodramatic' date=' politically correct lady boys for one moment and stop being so sensitive.[/quote']

Second this.

Hasn't really filled up to his potential' date='suffers badly with injuries.[/quote']

Would like to know who,s position he will take ?

Carricks? Wouldn't have thought so.

Fellaini? What big guy would you have to knock long ball after long ball to?

Blind? The king of the 5 yard pass.

Injury prone midfielder to add to the 50+ Injurys I keep hearing about.

Nice.

Would like to know who' date='s position he will take ?

Carricks? Wouldn't have thought so.

Fellaini? What big guy would you have to knock long ball after long ball to?

Blind? The king of the 5 yard pass.

Injury prone midfielder to add to the 50+ Injurys I keep hearing about.

Nice.[/quote']

Squad rotation, new concept on you?

And is he really injury prone? He had a serious problem, he recovered, and has already played the best part of 2000 minutes this season

And is he really injury prone? He had a serious problem' date=' he recovered, and has already played the best part of 2000 minutes this season[/quote']

Yeah but he missed a game after that because of a hamstring injury therefore he must be injury prone.

“It takes a long time now, So it can always happen. I am not the boss. I want him to stay. The player is the boss – he can say yes or no. You will have to ask David de Gea, not me. He has to sign. We have offered him a lot of money" - LVG

Looks like he's off then.

“It takes a long time now' date=' So it can always happen. I am not the boss. I want him to stay. The player is the boss – he can say yes or no. You will have to ask David de Gea, not me. He has to sign. We have offered him a lot of money" - LVG

Looks like he's off then.[/quote']

He's Spanish why wouldn't he want to go?

Obviously owes a lot to Utd but the lure of playing for Real or Barca must be huge.

No one can say De Gea grew up thinking he wanted to play for Utd.

If Real want him they will get him.

He's Spanish why wouldn't he want to go?

Obviously owes a lot to Utd but the lure of playing for Real or Barca must be huge.

No one can say De Gea grew up thinking he wanted to play for Utd.

If Real want him they will get him.

If he leaves, you can't blame a Spaniard wanting to live and work back in Spain.

Would be a huge kick in the balls though.

For me' date=' he probably left because of Valdes.

If Valdes hadn't joined, I doubt De Gea would even consider leaving, not wanting to leave the club in a nasty situation.[/quote']

No, no, no.

Valdes joining will have had no influence on Dave the Save's decision making process. He know's he's firmly established as United's number 1.

I still think he's waiting to see if we qualify for CL football before committing.

Disclaimer, I am not suggesting this is a done deal, I am dealing in realms of possibility.

What would Gundogan add to United's midfield that we don't already have and would I want him in the starting 11?

Those are the questions I've been asking myself since the news broke that Gundogan could be signing an agreement with Manchester United this weekend for around £21.5m.

What would he add?

Gundogan has an above average technical ability in most areas of the game though he is not world class in any aspect of his play currently. He is a very good dribbler and has great control and admittedly his passing both long and short is pleasing but I wouldn't say in any way he is a stand out talent. If anything I'd say he often puts a little bit too much curve on his passes for my liking making the ball harder to knock on at pace. For example within our own club I would argue Carrick, Herrera and Mata are all more proficient passers of the ball so that particular aspect of his game will not add anything significant.

His ability to dribble is perhaps above those previously mentioned but again he is not renowned for unlocking defences in this manner instead he acts to keep the ball under pressure. I get the impression his dribbling ability is defensive over offensive in that he prioritises ball retention over forward surges not a criticism at all as LVG likes to keep the ball but again we need someone to unlock defences, although the argument could be made that Di Maria should be that CAM dribbler.

What I would say though is that he has two good feet and is capable of playing through balls with left or right, something that could prove useful as he can operate left or right of a midfield three or at the base.

Given that he is able to operate in a variety of central midfield points from DM to AM it is not surprising that United are interested in him as this versatility alone could prove useful to the squad as, of what I've seen, he plays well in DM, CM or AM and adapts his play accordingly. This suggests to me he is quite tactically aware and LVG loves his players to think.

So he would add quality depth, all round technique but nothing outstanding that IMO would get me off my feet and too excited just yet especially given a return from injury (admittedly he is doing well since returning).

Would I want him in the starting 11?

The simple answer to this question is no.

The reason being I feel we have a very nicely balanced CM at the moment that Gundogan would not add to. For example if he is replacing Fellaini we lose a massive threat offensively and a key outlet for when teams are pressing the back 4. If he replaces Herrera then we are losing a superior distributor of the ball who has an incredible understanding with his right sided compatriot Mata and if he replaces Carrick then we'll be torn a new one because Carrick is the lynch pin.

HOWEVER, Gundogan is still very young, 24 which is remarkable given his reputation and it would take the most stubborn and clueless of observers to argue that he isn't a good player and couldn't grow into an even better one. LVG helps his player understand their game more and I certainly think a year under LVG could really help Gundogan nail down a position in midfield that he could make his own. With Carrick approaching 34 in July age is not on his side, but mathematically and statistically he's as good as ever. I was taught from a very young age that to prove you can solve a maths problem properly you need to show your working out and I think the signing of Gundogan is a lot like that statement. I'm not saying Gundogan is the correct answer to our problem but if signed I'm sure LVG could at least get some method marks, as Gundogan looks to me to fit his footballing formula.