Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Manchester United Thread

Objectives: 8/10

Got top 4 which was what we needed' date=' would have been great to get 3rd and automatic CL but we can't complain here. We did what we needed to.

[u']Injuries 0/10[/u]

As you say injuries played a big role and something that drastically needs to be resolved for next season during pre-season be it new staff or new regimes.

Goalkeeper 10/10

De Gea has been amazing this season and Valdes has shown today that he's not rubbish with 1 excellent and 1 very good save. Keeping hold of De Gea is a priority though without him this season we would be looking at Europa for sure...

Defenders 6.5/10

Chris Smalling has been something of a revelation and if Phil Jones could stop getting injured he's a decent back up. Rojo has done well since arriving but Evans needs to go. Blackett is a squaddie at best but for me Paddy McNair has shown enough to be safe next season, I think he's very good for his age. Rafael and Valencia need reviewing/ replacing with a proper RB but Valencia served us well this season. Luke Shaw looks very promising, we just need to look after him.

Midfielders 6/10

Ashley Young a surprise package, Fellaini pretty good, Di Maria needs to do better, Blind meh, Januzaj lost, Carrick outstanding, Mata good but for me Ander Herrera (as I said at the start of the season) has been exactly what United need. We definitely need another CM though...

Strikers 4/10

Other than Rooney shocking, Falcao needs to be on the next train back to Monaco, RVP looks woefully slow but still scored a few for us... James Wilson looks bloody quick and promising and definitely should be kept. Diagnosis need another striker!!!

Transfers 7/10

We sold some of the rubbish, getting rid of Anderson feels like a 10! But some of the players have under performed. Really though everyone bar Falcao has helped the club improve slightly, it's just hard to see.

Overall 5.928/10

Not a disaster but plenty to work on...

Player of the season: De Gea

Best Defender: Chris Smalling

Best Midfielder: Ander Herrera/ Ashley Young

Best Striker: Wayne Rooney

Goal of the Season: Mata vs Liverpool

Young Player of the Season: Paddy McNair

Future Requirements

GK - Hope not

RB - Hope so

CB - Definitely need one top class...

CDM/CM - Can't rely on Carrick solely

Wing - Depay a nice addition but one more would be lovely

ST - A must

Ideal Transfer Window

GK - De Gea stays

RB - Clyne/Alves

CB - Hummels/Otamendi

CDM/CM - Schweinsteiger

Wing - Bale

ST - Lacazette

Realistic Transfer Window

RB - Clyne/Alves

CB - Otamendi

CDM - Hard to say Xhaka would be a great addition to the team I think,maybe thinking a little out of the box here but I think it is realistic.

Wing - No one

ST - Hard to say Alvaro Morata athough he hasn't got that much experience like a real top striker.Again thinking out of the box here...

Really good analysis of the Man U season spot on in every section !!

Yeah he played him upfront... :P

Honestly you can't blame Louis for Falcao' date=' it's obvious he's not good enough after his injury and a year or so in the French league.

I've seen Falcao play, tracked his movement, watched how he works etc and he just isn't the Falcao of A.Madrid anymore.

His movement tends to be putting himself between the ball and a defender, he works pretty hard but at the wrong times and he doesn't curve his runs like a top striker anymore.

The best news of the window so far is him leaving the club, it was a risk that didn't pay off and I can't see any PL club giving him a chance because he's shown them so little to offer.[/quote']

Playing him as a lone forward / target man against the likes of Terry, Shawcross, etc. is misusing him completely. Every team he's been successful for, he's played alongside a striker with a physical presence to compensate for his lack of it: at Porto that was Hulk; at Atlético, that was Diego Costa. Louis' solution to that was playing Fellaini out of position as a false #9.

To add to that, there was little to no service. One would expect the likes of Rooney, Mata and Dì Maria to be able to give balls that Falcao could work with, but the amount of "workable" balls he got per game was downright atrocious. Guaranteed, his game was not up to the mark he had set in the seasons prior to his injury, but often he found himself in space that was simply not capitalised by the others. The exact same happens every time Januzaj plays; space is there, but no one makes proper use of it, which is the reason as to why he's a completely different player when playing for the youth sides.

He's one of those players who can do diddly squat for 85 minutes, but then have that one good ball and finish it off with a stroke of genius.

Playing him as a lone forward / target man against the likes of Terry' date=' Shawcross, etc. is misusing him completely. Every team he's been successful for, he's played alongside a striker with a physical presence to compensate for his lack of it: at Porto that was Hulk; at Atlético, that was Diego Costa. Louis' solution to that was playing Fellaini out of position as a false #9.

To add to that, there was little to no service. One would expect the likes of Rooney, Mata and Dì Maria to be able to give balls that Falcao could work with, but the amount of "workable" balls he got per game was downright atrocious. Guaranteed, his game was not up to the mark he had set in the seasons prior to his injury, but often he found himself in space that was simply not capitalised by the others. The exact same happens every time Januzaj plays; space is there, but no one makes proper use of it, which is the reason as to why he's a completely different player when playing for the youth sides.

He's one of those players who can do diddly squat for 85 minutes, but then have that one good ball and finish it off with a stroke of genius.[/quote']

You're spot on. He was tragically misused and I'm afraid United will regret it. He would suit Arsenal perfectly linking with Cazorla, Özil and Sanchez if he wasn't so damn expensive.

My experience seeing him at Porto three years ago, he was the team player not the target man. His goals were almost always the climax of articulate team moves and seldom the opportunity finishes. He is the player who will run all the game dragging up markers, he will do 1-2's all the time with the wide atackers and with the midfielders and he will (more visibly) be lethally fast in the area when well served.

Appears as if Otamendi is willing to force a move from Valencia.

Not overly keen on another South American, our track record is poor with them.....plus I'm still undecided on Otamendi himself. Been brilliant in Spain but he does go to ground a bit to quick for my liking.

Plus, if we're supposed to after a blall playing CB, then Otamendi isn't going to improve on what we already have.

Van Gaal only made 2 mistakes with Falcao:

1. Sign him.

2. Play him.

We might have finished 3rd if we hadn't wasted the season trying to fit him in when it was obvious he wasn't good enough. All of Welbeck, Hernandez and Henrqiuez would have been more useful if they had stayed at the club.

Quite possibly one of the worst strikers I've seen at United in my time. A half dead Michael Owen was more useful.

Appears as if Otamendi is willing to force a move from Valencia.

Not overly keen on another South American' date=' our track record is poor with them.....plus I'm still undecided on Otamendi himself. Been brilliant in Spain but he does go to ground a bit to quick for my liking.

Plus, if we're supposed to after a blall playing CB, then Otamendi isn't going to improve on what we already have.[/quote']

I've had a look around at Otamendi trying to get some clips of longer periods of play, not just the old youtube highlights clip.

I've got to say I completely agree that he really isn't the ball playing CB I'd like, his passing is no better than Smalling's however his reading of play is absolutely superb.

He does from what I've seen go into tackles earlier than most but I can't find anywhere a clip of him messing up, he really seems to be able to take dribblers out of the game with this approach which is fantastic. He's very solid in a tackle and his timing is very good too.

Positionally I'm quite impressed too, I can't make a full assessment but what I've seen he gets himself into decent positions and moves his body into the optimum shape well.

I know this bit of analysis is a highlight reel moment but his coverage of Barcelona was fantastic. Messi came at him at pace, snaking left and right and his foot movement (Otamendi) and positional sense was excellent on the move. He made a key interception later in the game too showing a surprising turn of pace for a CB.

I'm still not fully convinced by him but having done my homework a bit I can certainly see why United might feel he'd suit the PL. He's a tough tackler and reminds me a bit of a sweeper style CB, not IMO the CB we deserve but possibly one we might need...

I've had a look around at Otamendi trying to get some clips of longer periods of play' date=' not just the old youtube highlights clip.

I've got to say I completely agree that he really isn't the ball playing CB I'd like, his passing is no better than Smalling's however his reading of play is absolutely superb.

He does from what I've seen go into tackles earlier than most but I can't find anywhere a clip of him messing up, he really seems to be able to take dribblers out of the game with this approach which is fantastic. He's very solid in a tackle and his timing is very good too.

Positionally I'm quite impressed too, I can't make a full assessment but what I've seen he gets himself into decent positions and moves his body into the optimum shape well.

I know this bit of analysis is a highlight reel moment but his coverage of Barcelona was fantastic. Messi came at him at pace, snaking left and right and his foot movement (Otamendi) and positional sense was excellent on the move. He made a key interception later in the game too showing a surprising turn of pace for a CB.

I'm still not fully convinced by him but having done my homework a bit I can certainly see why United might feel he'd suit the PL. He's a tough tackler and reminds me a bit of a sweeper style CB, not IMO the CB we deserve but possibly one we might need...[/quote']

Pretty much agree with the above assessment.

I know which game you're talking about in reference to Messi as I watched that one live. Otamendi has proven against the likes of Ronaldo, Neymar, Suarez, Messi and Bale that he is superb in 1-on-1 situations. I've only seen him play v Barca and Real as they're the ones I tend to watch on Sky.

I also remember how dreadful he was against Benfica in their cup final IIRC, his ball distribution was absolutely shocking.

If the remit is to find a ball playing CB, Otamendi is not the man for the job (unless we are to purchase two CBs and replace both Smalling and Jones). I'm a fan of Smalling, think he can develop into a very good player for us, so I'd prefer to keep him in the team rather than on the bench.

I can't find an article on it? Do you have a link? :)

It's in all tomorrows chip paper, Daily Star etc, about United preparing a bid.

Hope for your sake it doesn't happen, no where near good enough!

Not happening.

Would rather keep Jones and Smalling.

Hearing it's likely that Gundogan will join Barcelona in January too.

So would I to be honest.

Dante doesn't look as good as other's we've been linked with.

If Gundogan did join Barcelona would you be at all fussed?

I did an assessment of him when we were first linked and he just seems decent at everything but outstanding at nothing?

Genuinely not sure who we'll get as the right footed CM, I would absolutely love Schweinsteiger but I doubt we'll get him.

So would I to be honest.

I did an assessment of him when we were first linked and he just seems decent at everything but outstanding at nothing?

Genuinely not sure who we'll get as the right footed CM' date=' I would absolutely love Schweinsteiger but I doubt we'll get him.[/quote']

You never know, seems Kicker think that Di Maria is top of Bayerns shopping list this summer. Maybe some sort of swap deal?

So would I to be honest.

Genuinely not sure who we'll get as the right footed CM' date=' I would absolutely love Schweinsteiger but I doubt we'll get him.[/quote']

If he recaptured his form prior to his injury I'd be pretty peeved to be honest.

Bastian would be a fantastic signing, been a huge admirer of his for years, problem is he's another who has had injury problems recently. But at the bargain price being mentioned I'd go all in.

If he recaptured his form prior to his injury I'd be pretty peeved to be honest.

Bastian would be a fantastic signing' date=' been a huge admirer of his for years, problem is he's another who has had injury problems recently. But at the bargain price being mentioned I'd go all in.[/quote']

Schweiny would be ideal IMO, he's got the composure, range of passing, stamina, reads the game well, not afraid of a tackle and can even get the odd goal too. He's a natural leader too and as you say for such a low fee...

What I like about him is that he's an all rounder but outstanding in many areas too.

With his role being the Carrick one we could also probably get 3/4 high quality seasons out of him too it's just a shame we haven't been looking at players like him earlier than this.

What does everyone think of Alderweireld? I think he could do a really good job for us because he has really impressed me at Southampton and he'll join us in the blink of an eye, won't be expensive as well.

Not happening.

Would rather keep Jones and Smalling.

Hearing it's likely that Gundogan will join Barcelona in January too.

Agreed, Dante would be more of a liability than them.

That's pretty interesting as Pogba's agent has said he will only join Real or Barca, with PSG being informed of this - Pogba is Real bound?

To be honest' date='Gaitan is not a great player by any means! Hope ye waste money on him lol!

[/quote']

And what if he excells at Manchester United? I'd take that back if I were you :P