Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

Re: Official Manchester United Thread

The Gaitan rumours catching fire now' date=' or so it seems. How false are they according to you guys?

I don't think we need yet another winger though.[/quote']

We're linked with Gaitan every summer, we'll not be buying him, he's excrement anyway!

Linked with Bacca' date=' not sure if I'd want him or not, a new striker isn't really our main priority if you ask me.[/quote']

I think we need a striker big time. I'll be more inclined to play Rooney as an AM and find a proper striker because Mata has lost his Mojo and shouldn't be in the XI next season.

I think we need a striker big time. I'll be more inclined to play Rooney as an AM and find a proper striker because Mata has lost his Mojo and shouldn't be in the XI next season.

Not as much as we need a CB or a RB or even a CM, and Mata is an amazing player.

Not as much as we need a CB or a RB or even a CM' date=' and Mata is an amazing player.[/quote']

RB is not an issue IMO. When will you realize that Valencia has been very very good for us. We have goals dried up front and I don't know why you don't think we need a striker. Blind and Mata are two most over hyped players in this United side. All Mata does is stick on the wing. Play a back pass to either Valencia or side ways to Herrera. Once in a while, a nice 1-1 and that's about it. He's can't even dribble really. Blind is the next cleverley who can tackle and is no way near good enough to what United need.

RB is not an issue IMO. When will you realize that Valencia has been very very good for us. We have goals dried up front and I don't know why you don't think we need a striker. Blind and Mata are two most over hyped players in this United side. All Mata does is stick on the wing. Play a back pass to either Valencia or side ways to Herrera. Once in a while' date=' a nice 1-1 and that's about it. He's can't even dribble really. Blind is the next cleverley who can tackle and is no way near good enough to what United need.[/quote']

I can post again

RB is an issue, Valencia been ok but he is clumsy(Everton and Arsenal FA Cup). goals have and we do need a striker. Your wrong about Mata, he doesn't stick on the wing as he likes to cut in, he can't beat players as he doesn't have the pace. Blind needs to bulk up and quicken his ways in my view, I'm nervous seeing him in DM

Summer

GK - De Gea sort out- if goes buy Lloris or Oblak

RB - Needed - Linked - Van Der Weil, Lahm, Dani Alves, Coleman or Clyne(media staying we're not interested in him)

CB - Linked - Otamendi, Howedes, Upamecano(future)

LB - Get Shaw injury free

Mid - Needed - Linked - Gundogan(on/off), Pogba, Mensah, Wijnaldum

Wing - Linked - Gaitan, Reus, Ronaldo(big surprise)

Striker - Linked - Bacca(all goals i seen, looks like another poacher), Benzema, Firmino, Muller, Benteke

Sell - Lindegaard, Amos, Thorpe, Evans, Rafael, Powell, Felliani(50/50), Nani, Hernandez, RVP

Loan - Blackett, Lingard, Wilson

I like to see how well Periera does in U20 World Cup and see if anyone else catches the eye in U20 World Cup or U19 Championship

RB is not an issue IMO. When will you realize that Valencia has been very very good for us. We have goals dried up front and I don't know why you don't think we need a striker. Blind and Mata are two most over hyped players in this United side. All Mata does is stick on the wing. Play a back pass to either Valencia or side ways to Herrera. Once in a while' date=' a nice 1-1 and that's about it. He's can't even dribble really. Blind is the next cleverley who can tackle and is no way near good enough to what United need.[/quote']

You're an imbecile if you think playing a wide midfielder out of position at right back, is a good, long term idea.

My two cents on United's possible team selection for next season, now that the arrival of Depay is a fact.

First and foremost, the arrival of Depay pleases me no end , as I've avidly been following him for the past season and can honestly say that he's the kind of winger United so desperately need at the moment - a better, younger version of the current Ashley Young, so to say, with the ability to take on players like no other and finish like many could only wish for. His work rate is exquisite, which fits his "hard man" persona perfectly, but the aspect of his game I'm most excited about is his shooting ability - United haven't had great long distance shooters since Scholes, and Depay will definitely give them that dimension they've lacked for so long.

Being a left winger, I'd like to think that that spot will become undisputed sooner rather than later - once he finds his feet that is; ensuring one thing and one thing only - a change of role for Angel Di Maria, considering he stays of course. ADM, like many others this season, has been completely misused: firstly in a deeper midfield position, and secondly in a wide position (mainly left wing), where only speed could help him get past people - albeit something that would work much better in a less physical league. Besides, I've been very impressed with the triangular connection United have developed on the right side (Valencia, Herrera & Mata), and hope that that will still be a thing next season.

Personally, I don't think United should be going for too many forwards right now. Rooney and Robin don't work together, and with next season (possibly) bearing Champions League football, I don't think United can afford to let the latter go, despite him having a underwhelming season (by his high standards that is). That would definitely seem contradictory (with the initial statement) to say the least, but for me, United have only really played well with one striker up front, and that in the ideal case scenario being Rooney. Having a second striker of Robin's caliber is always an added bonus in this case, and a fully fit Robin can arguably do more damage than the former.

Bearing all the above in mind, this is the result:

Rooney

Depay Mata

ADM

Now obviously, the question arises as to whether Mata is still United quality, and for me the answer is a definite yes. Looking at City, they rely so heavily on David Silva [Yes detective, here I go again.], it's frankly ridiculous - he most certainly is their main source of creativity at the moment. Now obviously, there is a significant qualitative difference between the two , but fundamentally [Hold your cheeks.], there is no real difference [Hope all is still held.], which brings me to the following:

Mata is the type of player that regulates play like very few others, and much like how (especially box-to-box) midfielders are profoundly praised for their all-round regulation, I feel that Mata is sot of deprived of that in some sense, as he does the exact same, but predominantly in an attacking setting (which might be the reason as to why he doesn't get the praise I believe he deserves). However, for me personally, regulating attacking play is much harder, as it demands much more from the player in question. Being an all-round "regulator", the main objective is to control the overall tempo of the game, avoiding momentum swings and periods of instability in the process - easier said than done of course. However, especially with more defensive-minded midfielders (e.g. Schneiderlin, Matic, etc.), the task "simply" consists of playing short, low-risk passes, to build up from the back, whilst having the ability and awareness to suss out danger efficiently and effectively. The characters in question are also solely judged on their ability to do so, and the fact that it really is "easier said than done" does provide the ultimate distinction, separating the likes of the mentioned with say a Lucas (Liverpool) or a Fernandinho (Man City).

However, for what I'd call an "attacking regulator", there is so much more to deal with, starting with the defensive aspects of the game, as anything a defender does, an attacker needs to be able to do too, not vice versa. But for the sake of keeping things simple, I'd take that out of the equation when defining such an "attacking regulator". Besides, Mata does fulfil all his defensive duties to the expected level.

The first thing I'd like to point out is the amount of times Mata loses possession unnecessarily - I can for a fact say that he's been United's "most secure" player on the ball: rarely losing out to the opponent due to sheer clumsiness (e.g. Di Maria) or naivety (e.g. all the others, including Carrick). This might mean that he plays more sideways passes than one would preferably wish for, but the fact that he prefers security over risk says a lot about his footballing brain (in the positive sense of course), and that for me is incredibly important - far more important than what an impulsive figure à la ADM, or even Depay, could/would potentially offer.

Secondly, look at the stats, as they don't lie: nine goals and four assists, not including the numerous times he's been pivotal in build-up play, isn't bad for any midfielder, let alone one who has been played in a wide variety of positions and in different teams (with respective tactical changes). Once again, one could always argue that his overall attacking commitment isn't good enough (having only attempted 33 shots), but with his physique, one cannot expect him to whizz past players (on a regular basis) and attempt the (what is seemingly the) impossible; something that his compatriot can and does do, which distinguishes him (the latter) from all the rest.

That said, Mata creates in a different way; one that is less obvious and more susceptible to (harsher) criticism when not effective. The first thing he does really well is position himself in the best way possible, as he's more often than not left in a situation where there is no one in a three-metre radius to be detected. This is not only good for him, as a playmaker, but also for the others, as possible destinations for his passes. And sticking with passes, he possesses over a magnificent passing ability - one that I'd probably put up there with the likes of Scholes. Whenever he's operated as the main playmaker this season (in other words when Rooney was absent), he's done a far better job than Captain Fantastic, which says a lot.

Finally, Ander Herrera - need I say more? Even Stevie Wonder would be able to detect the chemistry those two have, and it is no surprise that Herrera has only blossomed when playing alongside Mata. That connection seems to be the most exciting thing United can offer at the moment, and when contemplating possible tactics, that has to be up there as #1 choice at the moment, even with the possibility of more star-quality on its way in.

I really could ramble on about how I admire Juan Mata as a footballer, but I do feel that that would not yield much; quite to the contrary, I expect some aggro. (Ash, I'm expecting some support from your side!)

What is behind that is what needs changing, and for me, that includes two new midfield names, as both Blind and Fellaini seem incapable of being long-term solutions. Not to pull a "Benitez" either, but I honestly cannot see Carrick being a week-in, week-out name anymore, which is a real shame, as the Carrick of 2011 would have been the most welcome addition to this team at this very moment. And to be brutally honest, I've always seen Blind (beautiful tautology there) as the kind of utility player every team can use, but not especially as a replacement of a certain player (in this case a Carrick or even a Scholes). But once again, with CL football imminent, I feel that his presence could be vital. However, he isn't the starter I'd like to see in big games, as he's way too clumsy and not outstanding in any footballing aspect. Concerning Fellaini, I don't feel urged to state the obvious. He's a useful player for a certain kind of tactic - nothing more.

The back line needs one new name - a partner for Smalling - nothing more.

As for Nani, I believe he should be given a fair shot in the upcoming two months, as he still has everything to fight for. If Louis is able to do even half of what he did with Young this season, Nani could very well be a pivotal figure in any of United's short-term successes. Anything near the form he had in the 2010-11 season, and I won't be sleeping in clean sheets for quite a while...

Regarding (Antonio) Valencia: too one-dimensional to be a top-club undisputed winger, but perfectly one-dimensional to be a hard-tacking, no-nonsense, steady right-back. The occasional error will always pop up with players, but overall he's been much better than anything United have had in that position since Gary Neville. Also bear in mind how many players have gone through that transformation from winger to full-back (Evra being the obvious example) - it isn't as rare as one would suggest. The only player I'd consider in his place right now would be Clyne (and that with an equal distribution of the endeavours), although he does look set on staying at Southampton (now with European Football next season).

Agree/disagree with some on it

Mata is a great player, but will he get into starting 11, not sure as he doesn't stick wide which put more work on the Left plus he hasn't got the pace and what if United bring in another winger?

I agree on Di Maria, he been moved into different position, needs to stick to 1, I think it should be behind the striker

Valencia need to be replaced with a proper RB, he ok going forward but the other way is debatable, he seems like he not suited to that role

How many more chance to give to Nani? RVP hasn't been the same for 2 years

Valencia is plain awful. I've gone from salivating at the prospect of him playing on the right to now positively despising it. He ain't good enough. He's a passable 1v1 defender due to his freaking strength and pace but his positional sense is all over the place. The number of goals we've conceded in the last couple of season due to his sheer incompetence in maintaining any sort of positional discipline is staggering. Don't rate Clyne either and fortunately we don't seem to be interested in him anymore. This is one area of the team that needs serious improvement and I've not even touched on his impotence going forward!

The other area that needs massive improvement is our creative department. Of all the big teams, we're by far and away the worst at it. Even games we completely control we rarely look like scoring. Young is the only player in that team who actively looks to create. Di Maria looked like he might fit the role but off late he seems to have passed it to the opposition more than his own team. Mata might as well not play for all his pointless sideways passing. Depay is more of a goalscoring winger than a creative one. Not even sure where he'll even fit into the team if I'm honest. Herrera has been excellent but he's more of a CM and the entire burden should not fall on him. Nani.....I heard he's done well in Portugal and he's certainly a very creative player and just the kind of player we could do on the right but I dunno....Relying on two extremely creative but inconsistent players in Nani and Di Maria is not ideal by any stretch but can't be any worse than that season we've had.

Summer

GK - De Gea saga needs sorting out- if goes buy Lloris or Oblak

RB - Needed - Linked - Van Der Weil, Lahm, Dani Alves, Coleman or Clyne(media staying we're not interested in him)

CB - Linked - Otamendi(wants to go), Howedes, Upamecano(future)

LB - Get Shaw injury free - he will be a class LB

Mid - Needed - Linked - Gundogan(on/off), Pogba, Mensah, Wijnaldum, Vidal

Wing - Linked - Gaitan(according signed?), Reus, Ronaldo(big surprise)

Striker - Linked - Bacca(all goals i seen, looks like another poacher), Benzema, Firmino, Muller, Benteke, Higuain

Sell - Lindegaard, Amos, Thorpe, Evans, Rafael, Powell, Felliani(50/50), Nani, Hernandez, RVP

Just need to sort out each area, Just waiting for United 2nd signing

Looks like Lloris want CL football and Juventus want to sell Vidal

Valencia should not be our first choice RB next season, nothing to discuss there so let's end that debate.

Schneiderlin is the latest to have been linked to United (with a move to United more likely that Arsenal), would be very pleased with that signing. Maybe he's one of those that Wenger has said United are already interested in.