Rishabh Desai

Official Manchester United Thread

As a regular follower of L1, avid fan of all the French national teams and reasonably good friend, I can confidently say that Martial is NOT worth anywhere near the fee United are willing to coughing up. Another case of a teenager physically developing faster than all the others - his game relies entirely on pace and power. His dribbling is decent, but nowhere near the level some are already starting to hype him up to. He might be able to provide a thing or two, but his price is extortionate (not even borderline).

United's main problem under Louis has been their antics on the ball - keeping possession is one thing, but doing something with it is something completely different. United have too many ball-watchers and too many touch-hungry players (Herrera and Rooney being prime examples of the former; Depay and Mata of the latter), and because of this, they're able to create absolutely zilch up front. If anything, Martial is much stronger than the average player on the ball, but he's absolutely abysmal off the ball, and like Depay, won't be doing much when not in possession, which is really worrying. Playing him as a secondary/lone striker is my only bet for some success; playing him as a winger would be suicidal.

Re. Januzaj - devastated; mainly because I'm a huge fan of his style, and still believe he's got a huge future at United. With Dì Maria gone, he was guaranteed a whole lot more game time, but how United have let him go (with no loan fee reported as yet, meaning that they could very well be paying all his wages) is beyond me, especially when they're not exactly overstaffed in that department. I really hope his #11 jersey doesn't go to anyone else, and also hope that there is no buy-clause in his loan. However, I am pretty confident he will develop well at Dortmund, as they seem to suit his style of play more than United currently do (e.g. Kagawa).

Re. Hernandez - good riddance. Very good poacher, but that's basically it. One of the worst (first) touches I've ever seen, and with average pace and absolutely no strength; he really isn't "United quality" [very strong emphasis on the quotes].

United won't get top four this season if "Mr. Philosophy" isn't sacked some time soon. Mark my words.

The Martial fee being rumoured is actually hilarious, full on hilarious.

Naval is sick btw.

Also, getting rid of Hernandez & Januzaj - 1 a striker that can actually poach a goal, & 2 one of the only players who's looked capable of scoring so far. #LouisLogic.

I think it's a bit of an overreaction to write off United reaching the top 4 after only a handful of matches.

I am absolutely gutted to lose De Gea so late in the window and while I can accept that £29m with Navas is a very fair offer for a player in his last year I think from a purely footballing point of view he is a tremendous loss.

He is undoubtedly world class possibly our only world class player with potential to grow rather than regress and it will be a huge shame to see him gone. Navas is a decent keeper but not suited to the PL IMO he is too short something that cannot be solved by hitting the gym and while he is very competent at shot stopping his box command is not up to scratch.

I think the loaning of Januzaj is an absolute joke unless we bring in a winger of greater quality or are using him as a makeweight for someone like Reus (as if that will happen lol!) I feel this way because realistically he has as much chance starting games at United as he does Dortmund and I really saw this year as a potential break through year.

Selling Hernandez is the right move though and if Martial is the replacement I'm happy enough because physically he fits the requirement and he's only 19 so there is room to develop. I'd be lying if I said I think he's the absolute perfect signing because he isn't, the price is high and he's not experienced but there is no world class striker available and I trust the club wouldn't shell out £36m on just potential he must have been very thoroughly scouted. However my feeling is that Martial may be used as a winger instead...

I sincerely hope that we haven't concluded our transfer business in terms of incomings because we are now even shorter on attacking options there still needs to be another winger/striker arriving.

Rumours that De Gea's documents didn't go through in time so he stays..

I hope that is true!

Yes United sent the paperwork to Madrid exactly 1 min late. But Navas deal got approved. So we are in trouble. Good thing I knew beforehand that this will be a nightmare year for us.

Why? he doesn't want to be there United stalled the deal and now you'll get nothing come next season unless by miracle chance he signs a new contract.

Anyway as good Martial's potential is way over-payed hope he succeeds in the BPL i feel he won't though but that's hard to say when he hasn't played however fact is he won't live up to that money spent on him.

I know Balague said it's off and if united did stall on the papers then it's deff off but if it wasn't intentional then despite them not giving time for deals to be completed in past i wouldn't be surprised if it still happened.

This is unprecedented drama. Hernandez' date=' Lindegaard out, Januzaj on loan. But the main point is the de Gea/Navas transfer- who will blink first?

I think we can still sign players from overseas though.[/quote']

What blink? You have De Gea and Navas BOTH. A deal was agreed on De Gea but it wasnt completed.

As far as I'm concerned, David De Gea's status as a United player is irrelevant now. If he does feature in the next couple of months, it will be with his mind elsewhere, and unlike Ronaldo in 2008-09, it will show on the pitch. For that reason, he should be destined to rot in the reserves, and if Ghora's word is anything to go by, RM should be punished by having to sell Navas, ergo being left with Casilla and no one else. It's the only way United can win now, as they're not going to be getting much out of De Gea; nor are they going to be able to get any cash for him when he eventually leaves. As Ben pointed out, Navas is an excellent shot stopper, but his physical attributes don't exactly coincide with the Premier League's demands.

As for Anthony Martial, I read some interesting hypotheses here and there; the most plausible one (in my opinion) being the following:

United owe Monaco money - a lot of money. Mendes included some kind of conditional clause in Falcao's contract ensuring he'd sign on a permanent deal for United at the end of his loan spell - and that for a huge sum; thereby "recuperating" a significant chunk of money Rybolovlev so desperately needs (for whatever reason that is). But as United refused, and Monaco weren't able to keep the player (due to his extortionate [my word of the day] wages and all that), the clause turned into a serious debt, meaning that United would have to cough up the money in some other way to avoid becoming liable for breaching contracts.

And what better way to do this than to go and sign another player for a ridiculous sum instead? It might seem dubious af, but at least United are able to clear their debts whilst signing the "next Thierry Henry", huh? It wouldn't surprise me if there is a serious debacle in the next couple of days, and whilst I do believe a situation like this to (somewhat) be out of Louis' hands, I would definitely consider this to be a sackable offence, with both Woodward and Louis on the chopping block.

If anything, I've learnt this: never trust a man, with the name "Edward Woodward", with any fine prints.

As for Anthony Martial' date=' I read some interesting hypotheses here and there; the most plausible one (in my opinion) being the following:

United owe Monaco money - a lot of money. Mendes included some kind of conditional clause in Falcao's contract ensuring he'd sign on a permanent deal for United at the end of his loan spell - and that for a huge sum; thereby "recuperating" a significant chunk of money Rybolovlev so desperately needs (for whatever reason that is). But as United refused, and Monaco weren't able to keep the player (due to his extortionate [my word of the day'] wages and all that), the clause turned into a serious debt, meaning that United would have to cough up the money in some other way to avoid becoming liable for breaching contracts.

And what better way to do this than to go and sign another player for a ridiculous sum instead? It might seem dubious af, but at least United are able to clear their debts whilst signing the "next Thierry Henry", huh? It wouldn't surprise me if there is a serious debacle in the next couple of days, and whilst I do believe a situation like this to (somewhat) be out of Louis' hands, I would definitely consider this to be a sackable offence, with both Woodward and Louis on the chopping block.

If anything, I've learnt this: never trust a man, with the name "Edward Woodward", with any fine prints.

I am genuinely curious where you have read that hypothesis I would love to give it a read even though I think it's a load of rubbish.

I think the most logical reasoning is thus:

1. ​United sell RVP
  2. LVG gives Hernandez a chance to prove he may be good enough as back up to Rooney
  3. LVG is not convinced by Hernandez
  4. LVG wants to sell Hernandez
  5. LVG instructs Woodward to pursue a replacement
  6. Martial is seen to be a good fit with his physical attributes and age having previously been scouted
  7. United discuss Martial + Hernandez transfers
  8. United sell Hernandez
  9. United buy Martial

When you actually look it makes a lot of sense to look at signing the next big thing rather than pursuing unrealistic big name players. Muller, Bale etc were never leaving this window so United have looked at the profile of the player they require (a pacey forward) and identified a 19 year old who shows promise.

I'm not saying Martial is exactly who I wanted but as with all transfers I'll give the kid a chance to play before judging him. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that United want to buy one of the better young forward talents in the world, the fee however might be.

I am genuinely curious where you have read that hypothesis I would love to give it a read even though I think it's a load of rubbish.

I think the most logical reasoning is thus:

1. ​United sell RVP
  2. LVG gives Hernandez a chance to prove he may be good enough as back up to Rooney
  3. LVG is not convinced by Hernandez
  4. LVG wants to sell Hernandez
  5. LVG instructs Woodward to pursue a replacement
  6. Martial is seen to be a good fit with his physical attributes and age having previously been scouted
  7. United discuss Martial + Hernandez transfers
  8. United sell Hernandez
  9. United buy Martial

When you actually look it makes a lot of sense to look at signing the next big thing rather than pursuing unrealistic big name players. Muller' date=' Bale etc were never leaving this window so United have looked at the profile of the player they require (a pacey forward) and identified a 19 year old who shows promise.

I'm not saying Martial is exactly who I wanted but as with all transfers I'll give the kid a chance to play before judging him. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that United want to buy one of the better young forward talents in the world, the fee however might be.[/quote']

Haha in no way is he one of the better young forward talents in the world, not even close - I highly doubt he will ever get near justifying the fee talked about.

The De Gea fault looks to be on Real's side, but the Spanish FA are very strict (Coentrao-Utd paperwork late previously) so it will be very interesting to see how it goes - either way Utd won't be happy - if it goes the way many think it will, De Gea will move on a free transfer.

Martial transfer - instead of criticising his fee or him before he kicked a ball for United, Let just see if he makes any impact

De Gea saga is Madrid fault - If they appeal to FIFA, La Liga not going to back them so they fail

I wonder if United could do a last minute deal on Lukaku or Gomis

I think Januzaj loan move is a good 1 - He needs to quicken his game and be less selfish

LVG needs to sort out the team playing style

Martial transfer - instead of criticising his fee or him before he kicked a ball for United' date=' Let just see if he makes any impact

De Gea saga is Madrid fault - If they appeal to FIFA, La Liga not going to back them so they fail

I wonder if United could do a last minute deal on Lukaku or Gomis

I think Januzaj loan move is a good 1 - He needs to quicken his game and be less selfish

LVG needs to sort out the team playing style[/quote']

No criticism of him, just the fee - it is that stupid of a fee I'm inclined to think there is some truth to AniAniAni's post about owing money to Monaco for Falcao - otherwise there is no way in hell anyone can justify the fees being talked about for a player like Martial - I can think of at least 15 (some debatable but more experienced than Martial) young/youngish strikers who are better.

The Lyon chairman must be rubbing his hands like an evil genius knowing they have Lacazette & Fekir.

Benfica, Porto, Valencia, Monaco, and Manchester United, all puppets of Jorge Mendes, i would expect that from all of those clubs except for United. But again, after Bebe, i expect everything from United. There is a rumor of 80M euros fee for martial going around, but that must be rubbish.

No criticism of him' date=' just the fee - it is that stupid of a fee I'm inclined to think there is some truth to AniAniAni's post about owing money to Monaco for Falcao - otherwise there is no way in hell anyone can justify the fees being talked about for a player like Martial - I can think of at least 15 (some debatable but more experienced than Martial) young/youngish strikers who are better.

The Lyon chairman must be rubbing his hands like an evil genius knowing they have Lacazette & Fekir.[/quote']

By young I mean U21's perhaps I should have been more specific.

I would genuinely like to know of these 15 better young forwards because I look at the market and don't see much available to be honest.