Official Manchester United Thread

Rishabh Desai

Honestly don't think Depay is a great player.

1) They said he was fast... Seems slower than Carrick at times.

2) They said he could shoot... So far all his shots have given me flashbacks of Bebe.

3) They said he was strong... Easily outmuscled by most defenders.

4) They said he was great one-on-one... Probably the most predictable winger in the PL right now. 

Hideously overrated more like.

TBH for the guy and other United players, LvG hasn't really given anyone except Smalling and maybe Blind a run of games in same position so they can pick up form, confidences etc

For players like Januzaj or Depay, they need the confidences which LvG killed

All media sources reporting Mou to Utd after the FA Cup final....more excited for this news than the final tbh. 

Really hope it is true, prob that's why United hasn't actually gone to sign players yet and that Carrick contract not been sorted

Players are getting fed up with LvG tactics and training regimes

I bet Woodward would still regret Renato Sanches deal if Mourinho comes in

75% that Rashford is goig to the Euro's based on 1 factor - He one of the only 1s that speaks French

TBH for the guy and other United players, LvG hasn't really given anyone except Smalling and maybe Blind a run of games in same position so they can pick up form, confidences etc

For players like Januzaj or Depay, they need the confidences which LvG killed

But honestly I don't think Mourinho's arrival is going to change their fate anyway coz he is no different than LvG. He don't give much chances to youths and keeps a very thin first team that often collapses when he leaves. Take the example of Porto, Inter, Chelsea 1st time and Chelsea now. Only Real survived coz they had money. Still the squad was very small in Real.

But honestly I don't think Mourinho's arrival is going to change their fate anyway coz he is no different than LvG. He don't give much chances to youths and keeps a very thin first team that often collapses when he leaves. Take the example of Porto, Inter, Chelsea 1st time and Chelsea now. Only Real survived coz they had money. Still the squad was very small in Real.

He does give youth a chance, even when he buys in young players like Cech, Varane, Zouma etc

His time at Porto, always strong in the league, He took most of them players to Chelsea with him in time - Carvalho, Maniche, Ferriera and Deco

Chelsea 1st time, he got fed up with the Owner buying players he didn't want like Shevchenko and Kezman

Inter was an old side but he only went there as he best friends with the owner and family

Small team is fine if less injures happen

At least with Mourinho, he wont change the team every games so hopefully it builds form n confidences

Gotta admit, I am feeling kinda bad for Aloysius at the moment. The guy's just won prestigious silverware, yet the media completely ignore that, and instead bombard him with questions about his future and Mourinho's possible appointment. Classic response though, and one does have to give that to him - no matter how bad football has been under his management, as a character he has been nothing short of fantastic.

Concerning the game, Gullit was right to point out that the quality of the match was sub-standard. Palace defenders had a good game overall, especially Joel Ward, who I thought was outstanding against Martial. He's probably the first defender this season who has completely been able to neutralise Tony's threat single-handedly. Was terribly unlucky to see Mata's shot ricochet through his legs for United's equaliser. MOTM has to be Wayne Rooney though - haven't seen such a performance from him since 2010. He was all over the pitch, and one would think that if this Rooney showed up for the Euros, England might be in for a very decent shout. Valencia was also very impressive.

Reliable sources starting to say that Mourinho will be appointed soon. If so, I'll be heading to Sports Direct to get my Villa top for next season.

Gotta admit, I am feeling kinda bad for Aloysius at the moment. The guy's just won prestigious silverware, yet the media completely ignore that, and instead bombard him with questions about his future and Mourinho's possible appointment. Classic response though, and one does have to give that to him - no matter how bad football has been under his management, as a character he has been nothing short of fantastic.

Concerning the game, Gullit was right to point out that the quality of the match was sub-standard. Palace defenders had a good game overall, especially Joel Ward, who I thought was outstanding against Martial. He's probably the first defender this season who has completely been able to neutralise Tony's threat single-handedly. Was terribly unlucky to see Mata's shot ricochet through his legs for United's equaliser. MOTM has to be Wayne Rooney though - haven't seen such a performance from him since 2010. He was all over the pitch, and one would think that if this Rooney showed up for the Euros, England might be in for a very decent shout. Valencia was also very impressive.

Reliable sources starting to say that Mourinho will be appointed soon. If so, I'll be heading to Sports Direct to get my Villa top for next season.

I been saying Mourinho since the beginning - Now United could move forward

He won the FA Cup but still not good enough - I question his character, only good thing is when he fell down in the Arsenal game

This is what I been talking about Rooney playing in Midfield somehow and some of his runs, good passing might help England(did do some bad passes)

AniAniAni, why not Mourinho?

Good news if Jose does come in, LVG can't stay any longer. FA cup final and we were awful, give credit to Palace because they played fairly well but United were horrendous once again. If he can't get the players motivated to go out and take a cup final by the scruff of the neck then it will be the same story next season, boring performances and lucky 1-0's.

Criticising Aloysius of being boring, yet being totally for appointing the most anti-football manager out there? Mourinho might bring results, but United's game will definitely not improve in the process. Same for those calling for Simeone, as he offers absolute footballing dross.

Guaranteed, United under Ferguson were not always great, but in comparison, Mourinho brings the most boring football known to man. 

Zlatan is looking a lot more likely if Mourinho comes which would be perfect, he's the perfect signing. Let's just be optimistic.

Varane and Morata said they might come if Mourinho is manager and maybe Aubameyang

Latest news - Skysports report has caught LvG leave the hotel room, wished him good luck and LvG reply was it's Over

Criticising Aloysius of being boring, yet being totally for appointing the most anti-football manager out there? Mourinho might bring results, but United's game will definitely not improve in the process. Same for those calling for Simeone, as he offers absolute footballing dross.

Guaranteed, United under Ferguson were not always great, but in comparison, Mourinho brings the most boring football known to man. 

Look what Simeone done to A Madrid - came close to winning the league, strongest defences in the top 5 leagues and in the CL final

Look what Simeone done to A Madrid - came close to winning the league, strongest defences in the top 5 leagues and in the CL final

I don't care what he has done. As a fan, I want to see attractive, free-flowing football, not parking-the-bus anti-football, even if it means that the club's chances of winning silverware is less. The style of play coaches like Mourinho and Simeone promote is severely demoting the sport.

I don't care what he has done. As a fan, I want to see attractive, free-flowing football, not parking-the-bus anti-football, even if it means that the club's chances of winning silverware is less. The style of play coaches like Mourinho and Simeone promote is severely demoting the sport.

I know Atletico can be low scored at times but scoreline doesn't show their passion, closing down etc

I think Atletico plays some good football

If Zlatan joins, better pray Rashford isn't forgotten.

Mourinho did let Espn sport that he thinks highly of Rashford

Ben C's Manchester United 2015/16 Season Review

Good afternoon and hello again. With United's footballing season well and truly over and lots of exciting speculation arising over next season's campaign I thought I'd offer my two cents on United's performance throughout the season. First up we'll take a look at the transfers of the season and judge their success or failures to adapt to the demands of the Premier League and Manchester United.

Transfers

Darmian 5.7/10

A promising start to the season soon turned out to be smoke and mirrors from the Italian international. He definitely has the legs for the Premier League but his attacking contribution and delivery from crosses has been poor which has resulted in Antonio Valencia looking like the better suited RB option (I am aware Valencia is an awful crosser). He has by no means been a failure though as there are signs of a solid defender there and maybe having gained a full years experience of the Premier League he may prosper but for me Matteo has a point to prove next season if he wishes to remain a United player.

Schneiderlin 5.3/10

Another signing who appeared to be exactly what was required and fell short of expectation. Similarly to Darmian I don't think he's a write off but he will have a big job convincing fans next season that he can be our midfield's box to box player. 

Schweinsteiger 5.5/10

He came in to bring some experience and first team quality and he has brought the former but not so much the latter. Another player who has had an average season with flashes of quality. The main concern is how well he will cope with the physicality next season having been injured a few times this year. He is an intelligent player and I do have hopes that he can bring a positive influence especially for any younger players we look to bring through but he's not played well enough to consider him a success.

Depay 5.2/10

I must admit I had concerns before he arrived but felt that under LVG's tutelage and with Ryan Giggs around to offer advice we might have been onto a winner. He has produced one of the best wing displays I've seen from a United player against Midtjylland but those moments have been a sad rarity. Despite 7 goals and 5 assists in 45 appearances he's simply not been good enough and is one of the few players I think Mourinho will be taking a long look at moving on next season. I don't think Depay is an awful player but I think he has really fluffed his lines this year. A partnership with Luke Shaw seemed to be developing early on and I don't think Depay really has found his feet since then. IMO that is more down to the quality of Shaw being so high that it made Depay look better rather than Depay losing confidence. Again I think he's worth giving a chance to but I can't see Mourinho being a fan of his. I hope that the return of Luke Shaw will enable Depay to develop down the left hand side again but he now faces competition from Martial who I would not look to drop in a million years.

Martial 8.6/10

I love it when I am right, I really do and I am so glad that I looked at Martial objectively as an athlete rather than worrying about his price tag. I said at the start of the season the transfer made sense; going for a young pacey, mobile and technically gifted player over an older player for me was the right idea then and this season has confirmed it. He has been without a doubt the best signing this season and our best outfield player. He genuinely excites the fans with his confidence and talent and I really am looking forward to watching him next season build upon an already impressive 17 goals and 11 assists in his debut season! When you consider he has spent 95% of his time on the wing and he has only recently turned 20 we look to be onto a winner here. I don't think we could have expected much more of him for his debut season and given how the side has struggled for goals his influence has been vital and his consistency a blessing!

Injuries

Another season where injuries have torn our team apart. There is a lot to be said on the impact this has on performance just look at Leicester City for example. I wholeheartedly feel that if Luke Shaw did not pick up his horror injury we would be comfortably in the top 4. He would have easily gained us an extra point or two along the way and I believe above all others that injury has cost us dearly. I think we've been incredibly unlucky to not have had the consistency in our side but I guess without them we would not really have seen some good youth prospects come through too. Marcus Rashford obviously comes to mind as a beneficiary of this situation as well as CBJ.

Goalkeepers 9.0/10

Our GK situation this season worked out perfectly. Keeping De Gea was vital for any chance of top 4 and he has been outstanding again. If we can keep things how they are next season I will be delighted. No complaints here.

Defence 8.2/10

I'm not convinced on the likes of Rojo but Smalling, Blind and Shaw I feel are a more than capable combination that when fit could form the basis of a title challenging side. The fact we have conceded so few goals is testament to Smalling and Blind's partnership and I do believe they compliment one another very well. I would be hesitant to break it up now but I do feel another CB would be good as back up or a long term player for the club. Obviously defensive injuries have had an impact on our results but by and large we have dealt well with what's come our way. I predicted at the start of the season that we should be defensively in the top 3 with Smalling and Blind and I'm glad to see that come true too! Essentially defence is arguably our best area.

Midfield 6.1/10

Here's where I feel we've had a few issues, again mainly down to injuries. Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin haven't been at the level we expected and Herrera has been incosistent. Carrick's age is starting to show a bit and in the wide areas we are struggling for quality. I don't mind Lingard, Depay etc but they aren't at the level of a United winger. Martial has of course been fantastic but really we should be looking to move him central in the future. The fact that Rooney has decided to drop back concerns me, I don't think he's as good as the media are making him out to be in a central midfield role and I worry that his lack of pace and dynamism will cost us for the sake of keeping the Rooney brand alive. £300,000 a week is a lot for someone who won't be dominating games.

Attack 5.4/10

Bear in mind this rating comes from the whole season in which we scored an embarrassingly low amount of goals. Even with Rashford and Martial this has been a huge weakness especially early on in the season. With Rooney resigned to midfield we don't have any senior striker in the squad, Ashley Young upfront tells you all you need to know. The odd thing about this is that it has been a very concerning aspect of our season but also a promising one. The emergence of Rashford has given our attack a little more movement and a lot more pace making us more of a threat. 

Premier League 4.0/10

Considering the injuries I don't think we've had an awful season but in the Premier League we have failed. Chelsea had an awful season and ours was a failure but not a total disaster. We have been below expectation and that is unavoidable but also there are a lot of reasons for it. I cannot deny that I am hugely disappointed to have no CL football but equally we have been without key players like Shaw for large chunks of the season. Defensively fantastic, offensively poor which has only recently started to change. If Leicester can win the league though, no amount of injuries can excuse us not at least gaining that 4th place.

Champions League/Europa Leauge 2.5/10

One of the hardest pills to swallow is nose diving out of the Champions League and being knocked out by Liverpool. I don't care that they lost the final, they still embarrassed us on a European night. There were a few highlights on the way but this is one of the worst European attempts from a United side I've seen in a long time!

FA Cup 9.5/10

It might just be the freshness of the result but we have done well to win the FA Cup. We have shown a lot of character to come back against West Ham and also Palace and while our run in was by no means the hardest it feels great to have another cup for the cabinet. I don't think there can be many complaints here if any.

League Cup 0/10

We were hopeless, next...

Louis Van Gaal 6.0/10

Right I'm going to get a bit of stick but... he's not been as bad as people make out. It's not his fault he lost Shaw, who looked an absolute beast of a player up until that injury and genuinely excited me when he was playing. I think he's done a great job of making us defensively sound but of course he has made mistakes with the attacking side of things. I think given the personnel at his disposal there aren't many options for him which is ridiculous given the money we've spent and I do believe like I did at the start of the season that we should have brought in another attacker. The fact is though he's taken us from 7th with an ageing team to 4th and then 5th with our first trophy since Sir Alex left and with a much younger fresher side and let's be honest what is the point in being in the CL if we are going to be out in the group stages? The team he's built will only improve with age as we have a lot of players not yet at a traditional peak age. I think even if he goes he has helped to lay down the foundations massively. You always build from the back and without him I think we would have lost De Gea and I don't see how Smalling and Blind would have been such a success. 

Yes we should have made top 4 this season but we've won a trophy and got a lot of youngsters through too who will make either nice squad or first team additions and LVG's policy of youth is a good one. Having said this I do believe if Mourinho is available now then we should and will take him. We will lose LVG in a year anyway so it makes no sense missing out on a successful manager now for him.

Player of the Season

David De Gea

/Martial

Goal of the Season

Martial vs Liverpool

Verdict

Failure

Despite the cup success we should have aimed and achieved top 4. Anything less is failure. I expected and wanted a top 3 finish but injuries have not enabled us to do that. Regardless we've failed to meet our objectives.